Who's the New Guy?

All is Fair in Love and Shakespeare

  Ch:04 Who's the new guy?

Yonghwa’s POV

She took me surprise. Hard to do… but she did it anyways. I was dazed for a moment completely under her spell, until she ruined it. I groaned, annoyed, as my mind kept replaying her clear, bright eyes. This was seriously messing with my mind. By that moment, Lee seungseonim had finished describing the characters I had long ago figured out. I sighed in boredom and glanced over at Joohyun. She was writing busily in her notebook, a cute furrow between her brows, writing down so furiously, something she must have already known.

“Junghyun! Start reading from Act 1, Scene 1! The rest of you pay close attention because I could be calling on anyone of you at any moment, so be prepared, or lose marks!” The lazy class suddenly sat up a little straighter and concentrated a little harder on the pages of the book, holding a master’s masterpiece. Junghyun stood up without complaining, picked the book up with one hand and the other in his pocket, began to read.

Seohyun’s POV

I looked up expectantly when Lee seungseonim asked us to read aloud. She must share my opinion that the true beauty and perfection of Shakespeare truly shows itself when read aloud. (AN: I believe that too… and yes I’m weird, but I like Shakespeare! :D) It was, after all, meant to be a play.

“Now, fair Hippolyta, our nuptial hour

Draws on apace; four happy days bring in

Another moon: but O, methinks, how slow

This old moon wanes! She lingers my desires

Like to a step-dame or a dowager

Long withering out a young man’s revenue.”

 

I was stunned. Junghyun, whom almost never talked, had a beautiful, melodious voice. As expected, he wasn’t one of those over-expressive people, but unexpectedly, the emotions of the text were wonderfully portrayed. Its simplicity brought out the beauty of the intricate tapestry of words Shakespeare was so apt at weaving. I closed my eyes and was immediately lost in the music of words. That voice….

Suddenly a knock at the door interrupted the rhythm of Junghyun-ssi’s reading.

“Come in.” said the teacher, irritation obvious in her voice. She was no doubt, annoyed at whoever it was that was late. The door opened cautiously and everyone turned to look. The tall boy had dark brown hair with bangs that almost brushed his eyebrows.

“Anneyonghaseyo.” He bowed and smiled shyly. “I’m sorry to disrupt but I couldn’t find the right class.” He still had the ability to charm each and every person that came into contact with him and brighten the room as if sunshine came in. Everyone but me. I froze. What was he doing here?

“Kang Minhyuk imnida.”

“Oh, that’s right. You’re the new student that the principal was telling me about earlier today. Take the empty seat beside Victoria please. Victoria, raise your hand please!” Two dimples showed as he smiled even wider. Victoria looked worriedly back at me. I tried to look as if I didn’t care but my mind couldn’t find the music in the words anymore.

Yonghwa’s POV

Does that boy look familiar? Nah… it must be just my imagination. I glanced at Joohyun to see if she was smitten with his cute charm like almost every other girl in the room. She had a different expression on her face. Was that her way of showing admiration or something? Didn’t look like it, but who was I to judge.

I looked back down at the book. Shakespeare was beautiful and all, I admit it, but all those words! Why talk so much when there is a much easier way to say it? Bored, I looked up again to find that the attention of the class was still on the new student. He was now walking towards the empty seat beside Victoria, smiling sweetly. I couldn’t shake the fact that I was pretty sure I had seen him somewhere before. At least Joohyun wasn’t staring at him.

Seohyun’s POV

I kept my gaze firmly on the book as the lesson resumed.

Don’t look, Seo Joohyun. Don’t look.

DON’T YOU DARE…look?

I covered the side of my face with a curtain of hair to avoid being noticed and more importantly, out of sight, out of mind, right?

No it wasn’t true. I sighed.

Just one little peek.

No Seo Joohyun, you may NOT.

He won’t notice.

Probably not.

Yay! One peek.

Against, my better sense of judgment, I glanced over at Minhyuk. To my surprise, he met my eyes and smiled cheekily. Horrified, I immediately turned around and glued my eyes back to the book.

I told you so.

Shut up~!

Minhyuk’s POV

Long time no see, See Joohyun. I see that you are still as beautiful as always. I missed you…

(AN: Ooooooh… minyuk! Kekeke>:))

“Minhyuk, do us the pleasure of reading Demetrius’s part please.” 

“Oh, ok.” I stood up.

“And Victoria, read Helena’s part.”

“Um…um… ok.” Her voice was a mumble. I wondered if she would be ok, reading aloud to the class.

“Seo Joohyun, quit playing with your hair and read Hermia’s part!”

“Mianheyo...”

“Your partner, Jung Yonghwa! Read Lysander.”

“Neh.” He stood up and stretched. Hmph, probably a jerk full of attitude. (AN: Is it coincidence or what? Minhyuk and Seohyun have the same opinion on Yonghwa.) Looking down, I scanned the script to check when I had to read.

“Um… wait. Lee seungseonim? Demetrius doesn’t have any lines in the part that follows.” I said raising my hand.    

“Oh that’s right. Thanks for noticing. You may sit now but be ready to read for the next time he does come in.” Replied Lee seungseonim before turning back to the students standing up and nodding to indicate that they should start.

“How now, my love! Why is your cheek so pale? How chance the roses there do fade so fast/” began, Yonghwa-ssi. I admitted grudgingly to myself, that he indeed had a nice voice and the confidence that went with it.

“Belike for want of rain, which I could well,” replied Seohyun, “Beteem them from the tempest of my eyes.” Unlike some of the students who were already lost, I knew that she meant tears and said it in a fittingly sad manner. I frowned when Yonghwa started talking again.

“Aye me! For aught…” he said, “The course of true love never did run smooth, But either it was different in blood—“

“O cross! Too high to be enthrall’d to low.” Exclaimed Seohyun. Hyunnie-ah, do you actually think that? I was reminiscing the past, and the scene where Lysander and Hermia plot to run away was over far too soon. When I come back from whatever far away land people go to when they’re spacing out, I realized that it was almost Victoria-ssi’s turn and she was shaking. I looked ahead trying to give her less pressure. It was obvious she was scared. Her leg knocked against the desk as her voice, shaking began to speak.

“”C-call, y-you me fa-ir? T-that fair ag-gain uns-say…” Her voice trailed off and she seemed on the verge of breaking into tears. What she didn’t know however was that she possessed a wonderful voice behind all the lack of confidence.

Victoria’s POV

The words on the page blurred, and I knew my legs were shaking so hard, not just Minhyuk-ssi but everyone else in the room could see. My voice trembled and wavered unattractively and I wished the earth would open up and swallow me whole. Ottoke??? My face was probably red and—

“Demetrius loves you fair; O happy fair! A strong yet sweet voice rang out beside me, bringing out all the remorse and emotions Helena felt. “Your eyes are lode-stars; and your tongue’s sweet air.” He winked and smiled at me as I gazed on speechless.

“More tuneable than lark to shepherd’s ear. When wheat is green, when hawthorn buds appear.” My voice joined his and I could hear it gaining confidence bit by bit. I smiled, finally starting to enjoy myself in the beauty of the master’s words. Seohyun was right. The only way to truly enjoy this was to read it out loud.

Suddenly the strong voice beside mine stopped.

Huh? I looked at him bewildered for a moment. He just smiled encouragingly and nodded as if to say, go on, that was great. Gaining confidence I smiled widely and continued my part. “My ear should catch your voice, my eye your eye. My tongue should catch your tongues sweet melody.” Mmm, yes. I would like to catch his voice indeed, I smiled again. I seemed to be smiling a lot lately.  

Seohyun’s POV

I watched him encourage that public-speaking-phobia-having friend of mine to speak in her beautiful, clear voice. That was one of the things I had always loved about him. His ability to cheer someone up, make them feel like they’re the best in the world was truly amazing. The bell rang signaling the end of what was probably jail to many of the bored listeners. I stretched too.

“Seungseonim, can I take this book home with me?”

“Of course. Just don’t lose it.” Said Lee seungseonim. I nodded and turned to leave. I felt a hand grab my wrist. Turning back, I started at Yonghwa questioningly.

“Oh… mianheyo. Um… bye!” He said quickly.

“Bye.” I replied before I left.

Yonghwa’s POV

I frowned. What had happened to her happy mood? How could it just change so quickly?

Woman.

I sighed and hurried out after her. Why did I even care? I reminded myself.

Minhyuk’s POV

I saw Seohyun leave the class room and I made to follow her.

“Minhyuk!” Eh, Lee seungseonim was calling me? Did I do something bad? I stopped and turned back.

“What you did for Victoria there was really amazing.” She praised. I nodded absentmindedly and bowed the whole time thinking of the lengthening distance between Hyunnie and me. “Would you like to think about this program?” She showed me a poster. It read, “Reading friends.” I shivered. It sounded creepy and weird. “It’s a program where older teens help younger children to read, and more importantly to develop a love for literature. Please consider it ok? Remember, I’ll be giving extra credits for this!” Upon hearing that, I immediately agreed.

“Sure.”

Victoria’s POV

Minhyuk-ssi had already left the classroom, I slung my bag over my shoulder and walked up to Seungseonim’s desk.

“Umm… excuse me, Lee seungseonim?” I asked timdily.

“Neh? What is it Victoria?” I pointed to the poster on her desk.

“Can I sign up for that too?”

“Why?” She asked, cocking an inquisitive eyebrow. I took a breath.

“Because I’m good with kids and I want to learn to be more open and confident in myself.” I told her firmly.

“Very well then.” She gave me a copy of the poster with a twinkle in her eye. I smiled in thanks and ran out the door.

“Minhyuk-ssi!” I yelled. I watched him turn and when he saw m , I said, “Kamsanamida!” He smiled and I did too.

(AN: Wow, Victoria is really “smiley” today… ^^)

Yonghwa’s POV

Bright colors flashed by and I stopped to get a better look. Reading club eh? I’ll see if Sunwoo is interested in it. As if by fate, the memory of Joohyun giving me the volunteer envelope flashed in front of me. I guess I could ask for leave from one job. Oh… that’s right. I grinned and pulled out my cell phone.

Seohyun’s POV

My cell phone screen lit up and I dangled it in the air for a moment. I had been spacing out in my car again.

From: Rude Jerk

Reading club, volunteer wth me?

I snorted and immediately replied back.

No.

The reply was instant.

From: Rude Jerk

Too bad~ remember when you spilled the water on my envelope? How irresponsible.

I rolled my eyes but smiled all the same.


Whew! Had a little writer’s block along the way but it turned out ok. The more I look at mine, and the more I look at some other fanfics out there, the more I feel bad. :( Hopefully it’s getting better and not worse^^

 I'm so proud of myself. I made my first poster!!! Like it? (Don't ruin the moment)

Thanks for reading guys and yes, the trouble came in the form of…. Minhyuk!

Now they’re all destined for the reading club and crud, I have to go plan what happens next because even I don’t know. Any suggestions? ^^

@ Bananapop

Mmhmm… I did too! And yeah. I should have dragged the whole kiss joke thing out longer but meh…. And you liked the brother bonding moment? I thought the sister bonding moment was better but yeah… Yonghwa’s a nice older bro and Sunwoo’s just adorable.

@Mitchkasan

Why thank you! I hoped this chapter lived up to your expectations! And don’t worry about typos. I do that all the tiiime~. Once I accidently tyoed Bananapoop (Supposed to be Bananapop, one of my lovely subscribers). Thanks so much for the support and even though I know I don’t update fast… I love seeing you here!

@ esoteric_ladee

Thanks! :D

I love the Seohyun character in my fic and the trouble is the last member of CNBlue to make an appearance (Jungshin is her brother remember?) And really? I made your day better? Guess what? You made mine better too~ J

@cocopuffs

Thanks~ And here’s the update. Sorry for the wait ^^

@Shashasy

I like the brother bonding too. I have such perfect sibling relationships in my story… o.O Wish my bros were as sweet as Sunwoo. Here’s da update!

@semz15

Yup, I changed it! I think it’s better than the old one. :) And hehe… sorry… I skipped Yong’s reaction… but he’s caring a lot now eh? Especially since he thinks all girls are s… odd behavior don’t you think?

@ winnieX98

Thanks for the support and I hope you like da update!

 

See I told you guys the updates would get longer!

Hope you liked it and no spoilers this time because even I don’t know what to do now. Noo…. Tests coming up. Imma run off to study and brainstorm for this fic now!

Ciao and love, > .<

UMakeTheSunComeOut

30/05/2011

P.S. Comments and subscribers, I love you thiiiiis much~ *holds arms out wide*

P.P.S. Ok... I feel bad. here's a spoiler: for those of you who know Midsummer Night's Dream... their roles are this massive spoiler. ^^