Ch.2 Cake

All is Fair in Love and Shakespeare

Ch. 2: Cake

The noisy seniors complained about the seating arrangement, filling the room with chatter, until the sound of a ruler coming harshly in to contact with the desk eclipsed all other noise. (AN: My science teacher actually does that. ^^) The students were shocked at the strength the middle-aged lady at the head of the class had just displayed.

“Since you’re going to be spending the rest of the school year with the person seated next to you,” Groans and whines were heard throughout the class. “I want you to get to know each other before the bell rings. You will be expected to share whatever you learned, minimum 3 facts and what their dream in life is. You may start now.”

“We might as well start.” Sighed Seohyun. “Anneyonghaseyo, Seohyun imnida. Nice to meet you.” She said holding out a hand.

“Jung Yonghwa.” He said, brushing back his bangs. “I’ll write something in your notebook and you’ll write in mine. We’ll just share when the time comes ok?” Without waiting for a reply, he slid his notebook over and grabbed hers. Seohyun was taken aback. No one had ever been so outright rude to her before. Except for her aunt. Oh well, it was just one class right? She looked down at the notebook. What could she write? She began jotting.

“Time to share.” Said Lee seungseonim. “I will be picking in random order,Yoona and Nickhun please go.”

Seohyun watched her best friend share but before she knew it they were done.

“Seo Joohyun.” Seohyun stood up and looked down at her notebook. It’s clean white page looked back at her and she smiled at what it signified. Another new beginning.

Wait a moment. She started. Why was it blank? He was supposed to have written something there! She glared at him. Yonghwa had a self-satisfied smirk on his face.

Seohyun’s POV

I’m gonna show that annoying brat.

“Everyone, this is Jung Yonghwa. You know what he likes to do during his spare time? Do drugs. Bang girls. Bang more girls. And his one respectable goal in life? To hopefully pass this year.”

“Woaaaaaaaah.” Responded the class while the guys hooted. Victoria and Yoona just smiled, knowing what I was like when someone had majorly pissed me off. I had never even done anything to him for him to act this way to me. Something in the corner caught my eye.

You know you love me.

If class wasn’t in session…

Yonghwa’s POV

Typical. Thinks I do drugs, bang girls and fails at school. I was slightly surprised at how she reacted. I thought she would be flustered like one of those empty airheaded s. As much as I applauded her creativity, she had set up a challenge and I wasn’t about to back down. I stood up slowly and waited for the noise to die down.

“This is Seo Joohyun. She spends every day chatting with her airhead friends, worrying over what she should wear tomorrow and her favorite? Spending her daddy’s money. Her biggest worry? The shopping mall is closed. Her dream in life? Find a gorgeous guy like me.”

I sat down, a smirk on my face which turned even more triumphant as I noticed her fuming and blushing with her head down while the rest of the class hooted.

“That’s enough you two! Be civil. Or you’ll see me after school.” Threatened Lee seungseonim. I had work. No way was I staying after, so I nodded. The teacher started talking about school supplies and the curriculum. “We’ll be starting a novel study soon.” … when I felt a nudge. Looking down, I saw her pink notebook flipped open with a couple words written on it.  

You think you know me. But you don’t.

I snorted. I highly doubt that.

Neither do you.

I closed it before sliding it back.

Brriinngggg!

That sound that would bring salvation to the teenage population of this school and this grade 11 Chem class. They could go back to partying and being stupid but it signaled the start of work for me. I stood up quickly, grabbed my stuff, slung my backpack over one shoulder and left the classroom swiftly. Girls trailed me all the way out the door.

“Oppa~”

“Oppa, do you want to go somewhere?”

“Oppa has somewhere to go okay?” I said, winking before walking out the door. “Oppa will talk to you later.” Hopping onto my bike quickly, I roared away quickly down the road.

Seohyun’s POV

I watched the jerk walk out the door, almost all the girls trailing after him. Don’t they have any pride? I packed up slowly and pushed my chair in before picking up my bag and leaving the classroom.

“Don’t worry about it.” Said Victoria. “He’s been a jerk forever.”

“But he’s so charming~”, sighed Yoona. “And good looking.” I shook my head.

"Yoona... he's a player."

"Yoona-ssi? Can I have your number in case we need to contact each other for something?" asked Nickhun walking up.

"Um... sure."

Victoria leaned over and whispered. "He's much better. Don't you think?"

I wholeheartedly agreed.

"You guys leave first ok? I 'm going to drop by the cafe today."

"Again?"

"We don' have homework anyways right?"

“Seohyun-ah? About your partner,” I turned back towards Mrs. Kim after waving them out the door.

“Neh? Do you need me to help him or something?”

“On the contrary, his grades are exceptionally good.” Said Kim Seungseonim. “I received a report from the counselor, that his volunteer hours aren’t up to date”She handed me a small, white envelope. “Give this to him okay?”

“Uh… a-arasso.”

I leaned back in the seat with my eyes closed. The good thing about such an expensive car was the comfort. Even so, I had told Appa not to buy something so expensive but the minute he learned that I had passed my driver’s exam, the car was in my driveway. Fall had not yet seemed to arrive, the afternoon sun still shone brightly but a cool breeze took the place of the sweltering summer heat. Overhead, two birds dipped and soared, locked in nature’s dance. I was in no hurry to get home. Sighing, I thought back to when Umma and Appa decided that we should move in with Aunt because they were almost never home anyways. Now Jungshin had left, was attending university (AN: I know that makes him older than Yong but…. ^^ it’s a story right?) and studying to take over Appa’s business. Jessica Unnie was never there anymore either. I’m going to drive to that café around the corner, finish up my book before going home. Shifting gears, I stepped on the gas, wincing at the uneven rhythm before I finally got the car under control.

Yonghwa’s POV

After checking to make sure everything was turned off, I walked into the bakery, [AN: By this time you should know what’s going to happen next] and the smell of fresh bread and pastries attacked my senses. I looked around cautiously. A couple or two, a group of chatty old ladies and one man in a suit sat at the various tables scattered throughout the small, warm café and the sun shone in through the big glass windows giving it a cheerful air. Almost as if I shouldn’t be here, poisoning the atmosphere.

“Ah… you must be the new employee!” came a cheerful voice from the back. I turned around to see a jolly man wiping his hands on a cloth and bowed promptly.

“Neh. I’m starting work here today.”

“No need to bow, young man! I take it that you know how to operate a change machine?”

I nodded once.

‘Very well. You can take over from Tiffany here okay?” I nodded again and walked behind the counter. Customers were already trickling. I noticed the last time I was here to apply for the job, their business was pretty good.

Seohyun’s POV

Paradise Café, I’m back.

Jungshin oppa used to work here when Appa said that he needed some experience in the real working world. He came home complaining everyday but Jessica unnie, back when she was still around, and I could tell that he really grew attached to it. I pushed open the familiar doors and stepped in to the bakery which was well lit by the clear windows.

“Seohyun!” called a voice, startling me for a moment. It was Jungshin oppa’s old boss.  

“Anneyonghaseyo, ajhussi!” I said bowing and waving cheerfully. “I’ll just be in my usual corner and I won’t be a bother.”

“No need to get all formal and you’re never a bother! You’re the one that gives this place it’s life. Drop by in the kitchen and finish up some of our cake orders!”

“Neh!” I’m pretty sure my face lit up like a child on Christmas. There is nothing better after all, than the kitchen especially on a day when I need to clear my head. I sat down in a corner booth where the afternoon sunlight always hit just right and drew out a book from my bag. I traced the letters in the familiar title slowly, Jane Eyre, before flipping it open and beginning to read. The well-used pages turned easily under my fingers.

Yonghwa’s POV

The last of the customers trailed out the door as the clock ticked. The bakery closed at 5 but the café was still operating, serving dinner. I walked towards the bakery door, which had a separate entrance and flipped the open sign so the closed sign faced the outside, before going through the back which was connected, I discovered, to the kitchen for the café.

“Oh Yonghwa! It’s 6 already! Thanks for closing shop.” Said the cheerful chef, who I learned was also the owner of this establishment. I smiled. How could I not with such a cheerful man?

Seohyun’s POV

I had reached the second last pink sugar rose and the cake was almost finished.

“Ajhumma, come look! Do you think the rose should go nearer to the side or closer to the center?” I asked trying to get the overall balance right. I turned around to see if she was coming or not but I saw something else that made me turn around immediately with a gasp. Why was he here? Was he here to haunt me? Ugh, I tried my best to keep up the quality of the roses trying to ignore the thought that kept nudging my consciousness.

He must have seen you.

I tried to ignore the approaching footsteps and accompanying soft mocking laugh.  

Yonghwa’s POV

Familiar chestnut hair. This time caught up in a ponytail though. Could it be? At that moment she turned around and met my eye for a moment. The brief glimpse was enough to convince me that it was who I thought it was. I chuckled. She was stalking me wasn’t she?

I decided to a bit more. I walked up to the ajhumma and admired the dish she was making for the café.

“Wow ajhummas, that’s beautiful.” I complimented. I heard her breathe a sigh of relief.  

“What a sweet mouth.” Said the ajhummas. “Thank you. Now go make yourself useful somewhere.”

“Neh.” I whipped around and whispered softly in Joohyun’s ear. “Boo.”

I laughed softly when she jumped.

‘Think you could get away with stalking me eh?”

“W-What? Me stalking you? I’m always here.” I could tell she was flustered.”You’re probably the one stalking me.”

“Seohyun takes a particular happiness in filling our cake orders.” Said Mr. Im who was passing by with a tray.

“See.” She said, before turning back to the wedding cake.    

“You can watch her for awhile. It’s not too busy today. You only have half an hour of work left anyways” said Mr. Im as he passed back, this time balancing 3 more trays. I turned my attention to her delicate fingers, which were crafting the flowers and placing them so carefully on the cake.

‘What’s so special about a cake?” I wondered out loud. Joohyun looked up at me, wearing a shocked expression on her face.

“A cake represents a special event.” She stated as if it were the most obvious thing in the world. “That’s why it’s so important to spend time and all your effort in order to make it even more special. Take this wedding cake as an example, a long time ago; the cake was a very important part of the marriage because it symbolized luck, goodwill, purity and loyalty. Even today the bride and groom feed each other a piece of cake to gain this luck.” She looked at the cake lovingly. “I hope that when this couple thinks back to their wedding day they will remember this cake.”

“Interesting.” I feigned disinterest but inside I was wondering, if the cake was so important, how come I don’t remember one? What did that make me?

“Why did you not write anything in the notebook?” asked Seohyun, changing the subject. I remembered the whole incident that had happened during last block English. I shrugged.

“For fun?” She pouted. “Hey, no need to get mad! We’re even now right?”

“Not even.”

“Fine, I’ll make it up to you with this.” I said holding up the flower I had managed to craft together from the leftover marzipan. To be honest, it wasn’t that great of a flower but considering that it was made from the leftover bits and Joohyun almost never had any leftovers, I thought it looked pretty ok but she just snorted.

“All done.” She beamed at her creation. It was everything that she said it would be. It would be what made this lucky couple’s wedding day special. In short, it was stunning. But no matter how beautiful the wedding, whether or not the marriage was beautiful was an entirely different story. I stood up, after glancing at the clock which showed that my shift was over. Sunwoo was probably waiting for me by now.

“You’re leaving?”

“Why, you don’t want me to leave?” I asked.

“No, I’m glad. Just leave already.” Came the cold reply. I ignored it, instead reaching for my cellphone.

“What’s your number?”

“You can think again. You’re not getting it.”

“We’re English partners ok? I need a way to contact you. Do you want to fail?”

“As if you care about that.” She snorted. Reluctantly imputing the number.

“Well, ciao.”

This girl was different? I had never met one that didn’t fall for my charms. She was obviously rich yet she was here in a bakery?

“Jung Yonghwa-ssi. Wait!” I turned to see her running after me. “I forgot to give this to you. Lee seungseonim asked me to give this to you.” She said panting, after coming to a stop in front of me.     

“What is it?” I asked, taking the envelope from her.

“Something about volunteer hours.” She shrugged before turning back. I knew my volunteer hours weren’t good enough but I had to work. I sighed. How many jobs would I have to quit. I still had the car shop after 6.  

“Umm… Joohyun-ssi? Why is it wet?” I asked examining the envelope. She blushed.

“I kind of… spilled water on it awhile ago.” She mumbled. “Sorry.” She started running back to the café with giving me a chance to reply again.

“Yonghwaa oppa~” came a sickly sweet voice. Girl of the week, Yuri. Of course, I’ve never called her that to her face but it was a fact that she’d only last until another girl came along.

Seohyun’s POV

I turned around to see one of the girls from school, clutching Yonghwa’s arm. See what I meant? Play. Boy. No other word for it.

I know it was Chemistry class 1 chapter ago, but it’s English now. Hehe… I don’t think I can pull off Chemistry and I don’t want to end up copying Perfect Chemistry. Don’t worry… right now, it’s pretty different.

This chapter is named cake, because it's they''re first "civil" convo.

Ok... I just couldn't think of a name for the moment... sorry if you guys thought it was really significant. I didn't like this chapter all that much but I think I finally got most of the plot. It's just the in between stuff I haven't thought out yet.

Hmmm… The writing’s coming easier now. I did start this story on impulse so I barely have the plot “plotted” out. And I’ve never written the play boy type before. Sooner or later, Imma have to start googling “pick up lines” of something. ^^ The cold type might have been easier. Or not.

IMPORTANT: Tell me guys~ Would you rather Yong be cold and sarcastic >:D or playboy? This chapter is kind of half half. If you guys tell me what you would like... I could get on with developping Yong's character so TELL ME PLS :) Thanks.

I was really, really, really, really overjoyed when I logged on and saw all this support. You know, I actually really enjoy going around thanking people for subscribing and/or commenting. You guys seriously make my day. :D

@ Mitchkasen

Yay! Long comment~

So as you can see, it’s not really so much a love n hate relationship. It’s more like playboy-sees-challenge thing. Honestly, I hope I can pull it off because I’ve never written playboy before. Actually, they are royal. Like Kings, Queens, princes, princess royal but it would be easier for me if they weren’t so now they aren’t. :) It’s just a company now.

Thanks for all the support! XD

@shineeblue

Sorry it kinda took a long time but I started this story on impulse and I need to get the gears moving. :D

Didya like it?

@xemz15

Hehe^^, I wouldn’t call this often but here it is~

@poofers

Thanks and I really hope it’s still interesting ^^

@cocopuffs

Thanks! And here it is! Hope you still like it :)

@Bananapop

Lol, new+better writing style. Sounds like a commercial. Can you imagine it? Lols

 Thanks for subscribing and remaining my faithful supporter :)

 

I love you guys for being awesome!!!! :) (I think I had a little sugar ^^)

Comments and Subscribe,

Goguma love~

UMakeTheSunComeOut

P.S. The characters aren’t so well developed yet but I think I kinda got the concept today and that’ll improve! (Am I even the author? =.=)

Thanks for the support :D