Midsummer Night's Dream

All is Fair in Love and Shakespeare

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRd99EvJlvJKemg-hfylIO

Yonghwa's POV

I slid out from under the car only to see a pair of feet in my face. I followed up the length of the legs and body to the face.

“Junghyun.” I blinked. “What are you doing here?”

“A friend can’t visit a friend?”

“Not you.” I snorted, wiping my forehead with the back of my hands, momentarily forgetting that I was wearing dirty gloves. “You need me to fix up your car or something?” I nodded toward his ride parked in the driveway. When he nodded in reply, I knew I was right. Junghyun took his car out racing a lot and his parents didn’t know about it. If they did, they wouldn’t like it. He always brought it back to me to fix up.

“It’s midnight man.” I glanced at my watch which indeed showed that the time was 3 minutes over midnight. The moon was full and bright today and the clouds were there but rare. The trees created dark shadows and the sidewalk was mostly empty. I inspected the gash that ran down the side of the car. Probably hit a wall, turning a really tight corner. “I need to take Sunwoo back home. Besides I’m done for the day.” I stretched. The muscles in my back and shoulders groaned in protest.

“Fine.” He shrugged. “They’re getting suspicious and I’m not going racing until next month.”

“Mmhmm. Just leave it here. I’ll see you then.”

He nodded and left. Quiet guy. Not that I minded.  My gaze had landed on Sunwoo who was curled up on a bench in the shop. His homework was open. He was doing math when he fell asleep. Good boy. Pretty much done. Just one question I’m pretty sure he was waiting for me to help him with.

“I’m sorry little guy. For having to drag you around everywhere. Sorry that you didn’t grow up in a real family. All you have is a grouchy, good-for-nothing hyung like me.” You never really had a cake either, I thought remembering the conversation I had had earlier that day with Joohyun.

“I love you Hyung! You’re all I need.” Smiled Sunwoo. I ruffled his hair affectionately.

“You were awake, you sneaky little boy, eh?”

“Ehehe. Hyung!”

“Hmm?”

“I need help with this question!” I leaned down next to him, took the math book he handed to me and looked at the problem he was pointing to.

“My smart dongsaeng is already doing algebra eh? Ok look here, you know that x stands for the unknown number right?” He nodded, “Great. Now we need to keep the x alone but we have to leave his friend with him. So you move the number over to this side…”

Seohyun’s POV

x= 15.8315

I closed the book and put my head down on the desk. Finished. I looked up at the clock. 12:03. I had come home late from the bakery and had just finished my homework. Luckily Aunt was with friends today. I should get ready for bed now to prevent being late tomorrow, Sighing, I stood up and stretched but froze when I heard the front door slam. Could it be?

I rushed out the door and onto the landing, peering down over the stair banister. A glimpse of blond hair confirmed my suspicions.

“Jessica Unnie!” I exclaimed, running down the stairs in an “un-ladylike” manner. “You’re finally back.”

“Seo..hy.un…ah.” Jessica Unnie dragged my name out as she staggered towards the stairs and held on to the railing for support. I rushed down the stairs and tried to hold her up.

“Seo…hhyun..ah… turn off… the…lights. They hurt… so much…” She groaned.

“Just hold on, and I’ll get you to bed ok?”         

“Mm…” She had already passed out. I tried my best to drag her up the stairs without hurting her or gaining the attention of Aunt and her friends.

“C’mon. Wake.. huff… up and help me!” I panted. Nudging open her door with my foot, I was finally able to get a rest after setting her down on the bed. Sighing, I slid into a half-sit, half-slump. “Jessica Unnie… why aren’t you ever home? And when you do come home, you’re always like this… drunk?”

“Seohyun-ah.” I heard a soft voice from the bed. I didn’t realize she was awake. “I’m such a horrible Unnie aren’t I?” A soft, dark chuckle filled the little pause. “I thought rebelling like this would mean I’m strong. But it didn’t work that way did it? Now my beautiful, pure dongsaeng has to take care of me like this. How pathetic I am.”

“Unnie don’t say that!”

“Why not? It’s the truth isn’t it? You feel the pressure to be the perfect daughter me nor Taeyeon could be right?”

“I—“

“Don’t try to lie. I know you do.” Silence filled the room because I didn’t have an answer I could answer with. Outside the window, the moon was full and bright just like the night Unnie died. Wordlessly we reached for each other, seeking comfort and stayed like that for awhile.

 

(AN: Btw this is one day later :D)

The trilling of birds repeated constantly, served as the perfect alarm clock. Yesterday, Sica Unnie had come home on time, not drunk. I sighed contentedly, maybe everything was where it was supposed to be for the time being.

A knocking on the door signaled that I couldn’t sleep for any longer. Eungh…    I dragged myself up from dreamland and stumbled out of bed. I pulled on a short-sleeved, colored blouse with a flower near the neckline. Pairing it with jeans, I walked down the stairs, hoping Aunt would be satisfied. (AN: Remember the annoying lady in ch.1?) Instead of the usual morning that greeted me, cheerful singing was heard and the space which Aunt usually occupied at this time of the morning, by the stairs was empty. Bewildered, I looked around, not believing my luck. I followed the singing to the dining room. Sica Unnie was setting out two plates, a perfect American breakfast.

“Se sang mo dun, heng bok gi da ne got ga ta~ “ (From SNSD’s “Complete” by the way.)

  “Good morning, Sica Unnie!” I said cheerfully, pulling back the curtains to the big window in the dining room even further back and letting the morning sunshine fill the room.

“Oh, good morning, Seohyun-ah!” she said. “I sent Aunt to have some time of her own.” No matter what Sica unnie did, she still seemed to be Aunt’s favorite. I sighed. Actually Taeyeon unnie was Aunt’s favorite, but Jessica, the other twin was well-loved too.

“What happened eh? What did you do with my Sica Unnie that used to burn water?” I teased.

“Well… I learned when I was in New York…”

The morning rang with laughter and the house, which hadn’t heard such a cheerful noise in so long a time, was quenched of its thirst.

Yonghwa’s POV

The bell rang, signaling the end of the lunch hour. (AN: By the way… let’s just say this is like an international school… and the timetable is linear, meaning 8 courses in total, 4 on Day 1, and 4 on Day  2).

“Oppa… lunch is over too soon.” Whined the girl beside me, no doubt wishing for an invitation to join me afterschool.

“Get lost.” I said.

“No need to be so cold, Junghyun oppa~” I sighed.

“No need for the beauties to get in trouble right?” I winked as they started screaming about how hot I was… or something along those lines. Last block, English, here I come. I stretched. Joohyun should be there as well. Junghyun, as usual, was pretty quiet the whole way there.

“So how was the race?” I asked. He shrugged.

“A lot more experienced…. Big Bang was there. And the car got scratched when G-Dragon cut me off at a corner. Pretty exhilarating.” We stopped in front of the classroom.

“Excuse me.” Came a sweet, lilting voice from behind us. Junghyun, ever the silent gentleman, held open the door for Joohyun and she smiled gratefully at him. Wow, she was in a good mood today. I followed them into the class and slid into the seat beside her.

“Good afternoon, Yonghwa-ssi.” She said smiling.

“Wow, you’re really cheerful right now… did something happen?” I asked curious at her unusual behavior.

“Aniyo… nothing special.” She smiled, staring off into space. Aish.

Seohyun’s POV

“Good afternoon class.”

“Good afternoon, Lee seungseonim!” replied the class.

“Good. How many of you have read Shakespeare’s Midsummer Night’s Dream? Please raise your hand.”

I raised my hand quickly. It wasn’t one of my favorite but Shakespeare was an amazing writer and the language was so beautiful. To my surprise, the boy beside me raised his hand too.

“That’s great because we’re going to be starting with that this term. One person each pair please come and get one book for you and one for your partner.” There was a scraping of chairs as everyone got up to get the books. I stood up to but Yonghwa-ssi stopped me.

“Allow me.” I snorted but gave in without an argument.

When he came back, I decided to test him to see if he’s actually read the play.

 “ My favorite quote is, Swift as a shadow, short as any dream; Brief as the lightning in the collied night. Lines 143 and 144.”

He nodded. “It’s my favorite too. Everything in life, most of all love is much too short but,” he smirked. “I believe you are mistaken, it is line 144-145.”

“You’re the one who’s mistaken.” I retorted.

“As if.” He snorted. “The book’s right there, why don’t you check it?”

“Fine I will!” But before I could flip open the book, he placed his hand on mine, stopping me. Bewildered, I looked up.

“If I win… you have to kiss me.”

I snorted. “Dream on. If I win… you do whatever I tell you to.”

He nodded. “Deal.”

“I hate to tell you this,” I smirked. “But I’ve read the book a couple thousand times.”

“I hate to tell you this,” He smiled back. “I have a photographic memory.”

Ignoring his remark, I opened the book and scanned the pages searching for Lysander’s familiar speech. My fingers holding my place, I scanned the side for the line no.

No way. I looked up in disbelief.

“I win.” He smiled. I sighed.

“Fine.”

“You’re not going to argue your way out of it?” He asked surprised.

“Nope.”

 I took his hand in mine and quickly brushed my lips over his thumb. “There. I’m done.” And I smiled in triumph at his shocked expression.


Hehe… sneaky Seohyun! And btw... I give fail titles... except for the rare aha! moment. mianhe... ^^ The last little scene was from Perfect Chemistry too, rewritten by me of course.. I wrote in on impulse thinking it would fit :)

I'm slacking off on the research. My class is currently doing Midsummer's Night Dream so might as well use it :) 3 more weeks till school ends~~~!

Trouble’s coming in the next chappie … please anticipate it! *Bows* Kamsanamida. :D

@ shineebue

Thanks a ton for the support:D

@Bananapop

Hey, this is for everybody! I think it’d be funnier if I changed it to… Yong’s secret desires is to… be a romance novelist! What do you think? Hehehe.

Hmm… Sound like me? I don’t think so. Not right now anyways.

@cocopuffs

I should be thanking you for all the support. I need all the help I can get! :)

@ Mitchkasen

Yup… updated again! And thanks for the compliments. You’re making my ego too big! I like this chapter a lot. We see some of their secrets now!

I figured I wanted to write Seohyun a little different, stronger y’know? So here she is. And oh gosh… playboy is it? Imma have to Google pick-up lines now o.O Thanks for the support and I love commenting individually and meeting all you “weird” (you can’t be weirder than me though) people out there.  :D

@xemz15

So he’s now a sarcastic playboy o.O I liked the little end scene in this chappie eh?

It’s not useless! Thanks so much for the suggestions. I have like a fail imagination so I need all you lively people to help me~  :D

@ Bananapop

Thanks;) At least you’re back now!

@esoteric_ladee

Thanks for loving this! Hope you’ll continue to do so! And Yong doesn’t like the girls he’s nice to. I could have a character like this though… *goes off to think* See what I mean? You guys make my day and you keep me from frying the brain circuits. Thanks again :) I’m off to go thank you on your wall now!

This is seriously the best part of every update. Typing these answers. Have I ever mentioned you guys are the coolest people?

There is trouble coming in the next update! See you guys hopefully soon~

Comments and Subscribers! Goguma love <3

UMakeTheSunComeOut

P.S. I’m a shawol too besides a goguma couple fan so.. yay! Shinee’s Japanese Replay MV came out! SM finally got it right. There isn’t one hair I really hate in this one.