Ch14 Subtlety

All is Fair in Love and Shakespeare

Ch 14: Subtlety

Jessica slipped a pin, inlaid with small diamonds in an arrangement of flowers into her sister’s hair. They looked at each other in the mirror.

Seohyun had on a carnation pink strapless number complete with matching strappy heels. Her unnie had done her hair, twisting two strands from each side and twisting them into a knot held by the diamond pin.

Sica was dressed in a dress the color of midnight. The straps of the dress cross and tangled in a purposeful beautiful arrangement of cords. Seohyun had suggested she wear the simple yet elegant pearl teardrop necklace, which now hung at the base of . Jessica was invited to the party too because Kim Jonghyun had decided to take her along.

“Unnie…” said Seohyun hesitantly. “How do you know Jonghyun’s the one? How do you know if you love him or not?”

“I know because I’ve been waiting for him my entire life.” Said Jessica softly. “Remember that day a long time ago? Back when I was 12 and you were 10? The time when we still lived in America. I met a boy I told you about right?

Seohyun tried to rewind her mind to that moment. “Ah,right! I remember now… It was the boy at the asylum… Omigosh, Kim Jonghyun was in an asylum??”

“Ssssssh.” Hissed Sica. “I’m pretty sure he doesn’t remember a thing but it doesn’t matter to me. Not a single bit.” She smiled as the doorbell rang, 1 minute early.   

“At least, Mr. Dino is a doorbell ringer.” Said Seohyun under her breath.

“What was that?”

“uh… nothing. Go and greet your guest, unnie!” said Seohyun, following her sister out the door.

~~~~~`````

“Wow, this is …” Seohyun, peered out the window of the black Porsche.

“Annoyingly extravagant and exaggerated.” Finished Junghyun (sorry Lee Jonghyun goes to being Lee Junghyun for now because Kim Jonghyun shows up here too and it gets confusing for everybody.) as he shifted gears and parked flawlessly. He was dressed in a black Armani tuxedo on top of a midnight silk dress shirt over black dress pants and loafers and on top of all that, he wore an expression of utter annoyance.

“Hey but it looks like they put in a ton of effort.” Seohyun pointed out.

“Effort my .” Snarled Junghyun. “I bet they just hired some expensive party planner.”

“Well, even so, you can’t disappoint your guests right? C’mon, everyone’s waiting for the main host!” She said, picking up her handbag.

“More like Zoo attraction.” Said Junghyun, but he got out of the car and opened the door for Seohyun.

They now stood in front of an enormous mansion with Greek-style front doors, open wide in invitation. The guests, all dressed in finery worth figures in the 5 digit range, spilled onto the front lawn and the balconies, ceremoniously sipping their champagne, the ones a little lower on the social rank politely chatting and some of the ones a little higher up with the privilege of looking bored. The chandelier dripping with crystals and radiating light in every direction took center stage in the birthday deco. Everything glittered and glowed and if the high class did not live in a perfect world, it was hard to believe at the moment.

“Ah, Junghyun (remember he’s still in “Junghyun” mode) I see you’ve brought a lovely lady with you!” exclaimed a middle-aged but stately woman, dressed in a simple yet because of the simplicity, stunning sheath of camel-colored silk. She finished her ensemble with a choice selection of pearls and ivory pumps, her hair coiffed perfectly. Beside her stood a tall man, middle-aged as well, but he had the steely look in his eyes of someone who had seen more of the world than his share. The lady reached up to straighten Jonghyun’s tie but as he remained silent and brushed her hands off, Seohyun noticed that she aged another century.

“Anneyonghaseyo, Seohyun imnida.” She tried to stay to talk with them as Junghyun took her arm trying to lead her away.

“Junghyun! They’re your parents!” She protested.

“Yeah, and they piss me off. What’s new?” He grumbled.

“You’re acting like an annoying four year-old brat.” Sighed Seohyun and Junghyun stiffened noticeably.

His voice turned cold and he said. “Don’t judge about what you can’t judge.”

Then all she could see was his back as Junghyun took long strides into the crowd and was immediately engulfed by the empty birthday well-wishers. Seohyun watched him leave with a heavy heart. Maybe she had judged too soon.

But his parents seemed like such nice people. What’s with the big grudge?

“Seohyun! You’re here too?” Seohyun turned to see Minhyuk dressed in a pristine white suit beaming at her.

“Oh, hi. Minhyuk-ah.” She tried to pull up a smile despite being shaken by Junghyun’s attitude.”Yeah, I’m here too. So how’s life with Mr. Nouveau riche?”  teased Seohyun.

“You make it sound stupid.” Said Minhyuk frowning. “It took a lot of work y’know?”

“Ara, ara. I get it.” Nodded Seohyun with a smile on her face. He’s probably forgotten about his childish crush back in grade (elementary) school.  “Where’s Mr. Kang? Haven’t seen him in a long time.”

“Oh probably here and there, trying to put in a good word with some of the higher-ups. Who did you come with?”

“I came with Junghyun.” Said Seohyun.

“Ah… the birthday boy?”

“Yeah, but my date seems to have ditched me.”

“How ungentlemanly of him.” Said Minhyuk.

Seohyun sighed. “No, not at all. I’m the one at fault here. I was prying too much.”

“Nah. It’s one of those things I always really liked about you. The way you care genuinely.” Smiled Minhyuk. “Doesn’t matter if birthday boy isn’t here, you have the Almighty (Lately everyone’s been taking Key’s nickname) Mr. Kang Minhyuk to accompany you.”

Seohyun laughed.

“Why am I not good enough?” asked Minhyuk in mock outrage.

~~~~~`````

“What’s this?” asked Junghyun eyeing the envelope Yonghwa handed him. Yonghwa was handsome tonight as well dressed smartly in a gray Burberry (loaned) tux and a wine red dress shirt.

“It’s a special occasion, right buddy? Our Junghyun is turning 18 today (Remember they’re high school seniors)!” laughed Yonghwa slinging an arm across his shoulder that was promptly brushed off.

Junghyun opened the envelope and withdrew a stack of paper bound in leather.

“This can’t be a cheque book right?” asked Junghyun. “I know you don’t have the money for that.”

“Open it.” Sighed Yonghwa. “And quit ruining the moment.

1 Free Car Repair

He flipped to the next page.

1 Free Urgent Car Repair after 11 pm.

The coupon stack (or coupon cheque book) continued in similar fashion.

“Seriously?”

“Yupp. Happy 18thbirthday.” Smiled Yonghwa.

“Junghyun! Happy Birthday.” Kim Jonghyun walked up with Jessica on his arm. “In his hand he held a small box.

“Hey. You came. And who is this?”

“Hello, I’m Jessica, Jonghyun’s girlfriend.”  (AN: lols I made a typo here “girlfried” See what I did there? Lols)

“Nice to meet you. I’m Junghyun. “ said Junghyun, shaking hands with Jessica.

“And this one has no girlfriend yet.” Smiled Yonghwa. “Hyung, you took time out of your busy, busy schedule to come to his birthday party?”

“Yeah, well, Mr. Heir to United Corps. ‘s Birthday party is hardly something I’m allowed to miss.” Grinned Jonghyun.

“Happy 18thbirthday.”  Jonghyun was about to hand him the boss when another hand reached in neatly and grabbed it with a theatrical flourish.

“What the-? Key. What was that for?” pouted Jonghyun, turning to the boy with his eccentric haircut and stylish Versace suit (AN: for those who don’t know what a Versace looks like, you should google image it and you’ll understand why Key is wearing one (Designer name: Gianni Versace)).

“Sorry yeobo, the gift is from me and you. Which means I have to have a part in the presenting too.” Key smirked and handed Junghyun the box. “Go on, open it.”

Junghyun opened it to find a set of car keys inlaid with the Jaguar symbol.

“You guys bought me a car?”

“Yupp, as your awesome hyungs, we decided to spoil our street-racing dongsaeng.” Said Key.

“The car is from me.” Added Jonghyun,

Key scowled. “The car might be from him but the 600 thousand dollar, top-notch, state-of-art sound system is from me. If you break it, I’ll scream.”

“On second thought.” He added as an afterthought. “There’s a 50 year warranty on it so do whatever you want.”

“Thanks hyungs. Having you guys here probably made this party worth it.”

“Awww, that’s the sweetest thing I’ve heard you say.” Said Key, trying to ruffle Junghyun’s hair. Then he turned to Jonghyun. “Hey, where’s Sica?”

“She left to look for Seohyun.” Jonghyun turned to Junghyun (AN: See what I mean about confusing??) “Big boy, you’re 18 now. When you gonna get yourself a girl?”

“I don’t know… maybe sometime soon.”

Meanwhile Yonghwa didn’t hear a thing. His mind was reeling. Seohyun was here too? At Junghyun’s party? No, it was probably nothing. He was over thinking. She was the daughter of a gigantic businessman. It was more likely that she was here then himself, after all.

~~~~~`````


I was going to go on even further. All the way until the party ended. But I’m so tired. T.T So I’m going to shift the action one chappie back. (This is the last time I will do this. I have everything planned out for ch. 15.)

I need to finish up a bunch of stuff. I’m coming off hiatus for now though. :):)

Subscribe and comment please guys to let me know you’re still here.

I’m happy though~~~ 64 subscribers :D That’s awesome!!!!!

Hope everything’s going great with you guys.

So now Minhyuk’s “closing in??” Yonghwa’s kinda in the I-don’t-know zone. And what does Junghyun want?? Jessica’s obviously got the wrong guy in mind…

Thus the chapter name “Subtlety”.

I guess the next chapter will be where the tension shows itself and ….

Please anticipate the next chappie~!

Rena