Ch 10: Breaking rules and Am I Special?

All is Fair in Love and Shakespeare

Ch 10: Breaking rules and Am I special?

Ah well, that can be changed thought Yonghwa.

~~~~~`````

“Here are your tests back, everybody.” Said Kim seungseonim, walking around the room, handing back the tests, she stopped in front of Seohyun and Yonghwa’s desk. (AN: You know, it’s one of those two people long table thingys).

Seohyun’s face was white with worry.

“You did wonderful, Joohyun.” Said Kim seungseonim, smiling as she placed the test face down on Seohyun’s desk. “You’re the only one in the class who got perfect.”

What? Seohyun was pretty sure she had winged the test. Maybe karma decided to give her a break after all.

“Yonghwa, you really need to work harder,” frowned Kim seungseonim. “I am extremely disappointed in you.”

Seohyun wondered if she had heard right. She remembered Yonghwa writing the test, completely chill and effortlessly. She flipped the test on her desk over to inspect her mark.

100%.

This didn’t look right.

You couldn’t really tell who’s test was who’s because the scantron consisted of coloring in numbers and pretty much everyone colored the same if they wanted the machine to read their tests properly but… Seohyun could tell that it was most definitely not her writing in the “Name”, “Subject”, “Class”, slots.

Then she looked over at Yonghwa’s test. He had just left it face-up on the side of his desk, not worrying at all about who might see it. Seohyun immediately recognized her own printing. Except for the name that (it was obvious now) had been changed to Jung Yonghwa.  

“Ok, that’s allPlease talk to me if you have any questions and DO your homework! You’ll never know when another test like this will show up! And please don’t forget to work on the project, you were suppose to finish with your partners, it’s due by the end of this week.”

Everyone groaned.

“But you only assigned that today!” protested numerous people.

“No excuses!” warned Kim seungseonim. “Class is dismissed.”  

Yonghwa stood up, swept his books into his bag and loped out of the classroom, dropping the fake test in the trash can on his way out. Seohyun, looked up to see that he was already gone, stuffed her things into her bag, (still neatly) and raced out the door, clutching the scantron.

“Yonghwa-ssi! Wait up! Geez, we didn’t even set up a date to work on the project yet either.”

The bobbing head disappeared into the crowd, reappearing at random intervals but ultimately still too far away to call without raising a ruckus.

(AN: Even I don’t bold and italicize words for no reason. :P)

~~~~~`````

The halls were crowded with students as class ended and one boy was trailing after a girl.

“Please, please, please. What do I do now~?” whined Minhyuk.

“Wae? I think you’re doing pretty good by yourself.” Said Victoria.

“And you know about what she likes!” He tried to pull aegyo on her but Victoria looked away stubbornly. “But you promised to help me~~~~!”

(AN: ok looks, I was going to make Minhyuk all perfect guy match for perfect girl Seo but heartstrings (the drama) totally ruined everything. I can’t imagine anything but the cute Minhyukkie anymore… 0.0)

She sighed. “Aish, you’re a responsible top, all-round student and sometimes you act like a 3 year-old.”

Minhyuk grinned. “Well, you’re a responsible, top, all-round student and you know everything, ajhumma~~~ so pwease? Help me?”

“you’re calling me an ajhumma? Yah! Kang Minhyuk, do you want to die?”

“Aniyo~, I just want some help from the friendly, neighborhood ajhumma!” said Minhyuk happily

“Call me ajhumma one more time and any help you were going to get is flying out the window.” Threatened Toria.

‘NO~! Please, Toria-ah.” Minhyuk whined and he tried to pull his best aegyo act.

“Aigoo, that aegyo of yours is going to be the death of me one day,” sighed Victoria 

(AN: I suddenly had a random flash of inspiration when Toria-ah said, “death of me”. Waddya think ppl? I can’t even make Minhyukkie sound mature, can I make him into a villain??)

“Did you leave her a rose today, too?” asked Victoria. Minhyuk nodded.

“I laced it through her car door handle!” He smiled brightly.

How come you always get the good stuff, thought Victoria, slightly jealous. Sure, you may have a sister who parties and gets drunk, but still cares about you. Sica unnie fixed herself anyways if what Seo told me about last night was to be believed. Sure you have a crazy aunt but no amount of crazy matches up to the creepy my mom embodies. And Seo has an awesome mom. And now, you get like the only perfect guy left in this world.

Or maybe I’m just biased.

Or not. 

The two of them walked into the school library. Being one of the top private schools in the country and most likely in all of Asia, the school library had plenty of books stacked neatly in shelves on a wide variety of topics and more. The whole collection spanned two entire floors and the it was almost always full of the over-achieving student body that needed to live up to their rich parents names.

“Ok so keep doing what you’re doing. When do you want to…” How was she going to say this without wrenching the knife in her even deeper? “… pop the question?”

Victoria mentally smacked herself.

That sounded like Minhyuk was going to propose to Seohyun or something.

“Oh, you mean, ask her out?” asked Minhyuk. Victoria nodded, a pained expression on her face and in her heart.

“Um… I don’t know?”

“You DON’T KNOW?”

“ssssssshhh.” Whispered Minhyuk nervously as people all around them (including the librarian ajhumma) gave them the evil eye.

“I’m sorry.” Whispered back Victoria, “But how can you not know when you want to ask her out?? You must really have the mental maturity of a three year old.”

She sighed as they trudged up the stairs leading to the second floor half of which housed the English literature section (We’re talking about a whole floor, half of it for this one section) after apologizing left and right for the disturbance they had caused.

“Hey! I can’t help it if I need help in the romance department. Not as if I have had any experience with it.” grumbled Minhyuk, “I was just going to keep leaving roses until I thought of a good enough way to ‘pop the question’ as to quote you.”

Victoria winced. She would just have to get used to this anyways. Minhyuk was going to ask Hyunnie out sooner or later and Hyunnie would agree sooner or later and sooner or later, Victoria would have to see them with each other a whole lot more. Unless…

Nah, you can’t be that evil! 

I just entertained the idea for a millisecond okay? No need for you to come out.

You can’t think about for even a… MILLI-millisecond. The happiness of your friends always comes first before that of your own okay?

And what are you talking about? You totally need me. Bad things happen when I’m not around.

“Victoria? Toria-ah? TORIAAAAAA~~”

“sssh.” Victoria said, suddenly wrenched away from her convo with her conscience by Minhyuk. She glanced around nervously and bowed apologetically to the surrounding people who had been giving them evil eyes. “Look what you did.” She hissed.

“I’m sowwy.” Minhyuk held up a book by way of explanation. “But see, I found it! Now we can start on the research.”

~~~~~`````

(AN: Aigoo… what am I doing? I sat down to write a YongSeo story not a… Mintoria(?) story… Sorry guys, I couldn’t help it ^^)

“Finally, I’m done.” Sighed Victoria, stretching, as she finished the last of the part of notes they had split up between the two of them.

“Oh, you’re done?” Minhyuk was sitting in his chair, chin propped up on his hand, twirling his pencil as he thoughtfully surveyed their handiwork. 49 pages of notes, all in one afternoon. “I finished a loooong time ago~”

“Aish,” Victoria shot him a glare. “That’s because I had more to do than you and I don’t think 5 minutes qualifies as a ‘loooong time ago’.”  

“Arasso, arasso, ajhumma. Let’s go get something to eat!” exclaimed Minhyuk. The two packed their stuff and walked out of the school as the sky began to take on the rosy colors of a sunset glow.

~~~~~`````

(AN: Ok, this thtally wasn’t planned but here we go. I felt so guilty about the lack of Yongseo moments I stole the ones I had for Mintoria… so here goes…)

(AN: oh and btw, this is after school, not the time when Mintoria finished their study session! )

“Aigoo, I finally… caught… up.” Huffed Seohyun as she grabbed onto Yonghwa’s jacket. He looked slightly amused at the girl clutching onto his jacket.

“You followed me here? Are you a stalker, Miss Seo Joohyun?” he teased. 

“In your dreams.” She shot back.

“Or maybe in yours?” He returned.

“Aish, stupid choding!” Then her voice grew serious. “All jokes aside though, why did you switch our tests? It’s not that easy to tell you know? What if you get caught? What if—“

“Seohyun, rules are made to be broken, okay?” sighed Yonghwa.

“That’s bull.” Seohyun rolled her eyes, as Yonghwa mock-gasped over her use of profanities. “Rules are made so that there is no chaos or confusion and so there is a restraint on the evil nature of humans! Rules are necessary to the proper development and order of human civilization.”

“I beg to differ.” Said Yonghwa, cocking an eyebrow. “So I take it that you are completely unsatisfied and ungrateful that I went out of my way to do a good deed for you and save your English mark?” He shook his head in mock sadness. “I mean the great Seo Joohyun receiving a 72% on a test? Completely unheard of.”

“But—“

“Oh look, we’re here!” said Yonghwa, cutting her off.

“We’re… where?”    

Seohyun looked around to see that they were at the quiet gates of an elementary school. A colorful playground stood cheerily on the side but it was missing the children to play on it. A set of swings stood in a wood-chip box, swinging in the late autumn breeze, looking quite lonesome.

“Now what?” she asked.

“Now, we wait.” Said Yonghwa.   

Not a second after he finished talking, the school bell rang. Seohyun watched in amazement as the students flooded out of the door. Perhaps, they thought of it as freedom, just as much as moody teenagers did. She frowned. She remembered actually liking school, in elementary. Their motives however seemed just as pure as their age should indicate as they immediately swamped the playgrounds, laughing with their friends or ran into the waiting arms of their parents. When Yonghwa saw that, he smiled, but with sadness in it. He didn’t remember any welcoming arms when he went to elementary school.

“Hyung!”

Even so, he was glad to be the waiting arm for Sunwoo. His melancholy smile turned into a real one as Sunwoo ran out to greet his hyung. (AN: How old is this kid again?)

“Hey, Sunwoo. Did you have a good day?” asked Yonghwa.

“Yup!” He nodded. “Who is this?” He asked curiously, pointing at Seohyun.

“You’ve met this noona before. Remember the trip to the library?” He asked, zipping up the zipper on his dongsaengs bag all the way. “Her name is Joohyun but you can call her Joohyun ajhumma.”

The little boy looked thought full as Seohyun glared at Yonghwa for making fun of her.

“Aniyo~ She doesn’t look like an ajhumma. I’m going to call her Joohyun noona!” said Sunwoo.

“Ha ha! You’re dongsaeng is more mature than you, Yonghwa choding~” laughed Seohyun, as Yonghwa opened and closed his mouth like a fish. Then she leaned down, so she was eye level with Sunwoo. “Anneyonghaseyo, you can call me Seohyun noona, since we’re friends right?”

“Yay!” Then the little boy (AN: Why do I keep calling him little boy? O.o) pointed at his hyung. “What does Yonghwa hyung call you?”

“He’s not my friend so he calls me Joohyun.” She whispered loudly into Sunwoo’s ear, making sure that Yonghwa heard. “You and me, friends okay?”

“Okay!”

“Hey, don’t go turning my own brother against me!” protested Yonghwa.

~~~~~`````

‘It tastes so good!” exclaimed Minhyuk.

“You really shouldn’t have paid for me too.” Protested Victoria, (according to Minhyuk it was the billionth time she had done that. “Really. I do have money you know?”

“Nah, it’s okay.” Said Minhyuk, slurping his noodles. “Not good for the lady to pay and besides I had my wallet out first. First come, first serve!”

“Aish, but you shouldn’t have pai—“

“Just eat your noodles! They don’t taste good cold.” Said Minhyuk, scooping up a chopstick-full of noodles and holding it up in front of Victoria’s mouth. “EAT~.”

Victoria stared at the noodles in front of her and uncertainly ate them.

“Aigoo, now you can stop talking and start eating. It’s good right?”

She nodded, momentarily dumfounded and without better words to say. It was almost as if they were on a date. Kyaaaaaaaaaaa, she almost screamed (She did in her mind) and did a imaginary happy dance.

“Remember when you asked me when I was planning to ask Seohyun out?” said Minhyuk.

The imaginary Victoria, doing the happy dance collapsed in a big heap.   

“Well, I thought about it and thought about it and I think I finally came up with a good enough way.” Continued Minhyuk.

Swallowing her own wishes, Victoria managed to respond. “Well, let’s hear it.”

“Well, I was thinking xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. And then like xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. What do you think?”

(AN: Now I couldn’t just totally spoil everything for you now could I?)

“And you think that’s a good way? Kinda cliché dontcha think?”

“Well maybe … but I think it’s pretty good, can you think of anything better?” asked Minhyuk, defensively.

“Well no…” In reality, Victoria didn’t really want to spend time thinking about how her crush could propose, ask her best friend out.

“So it’s good right? Riiiight?” asked an excited Minhyuk.

“If you think so, Minhyukkie.”

~~~~~`````

(AN: I was going to end the chapter but let’s continue the YongSeo!)

“I’M DONE!” said Yonghwa coming in through the door of the shop.

“Ssssh.” Hushed Seohyun turning around and shooting him a glare.

“He’s asleep.” She hissed, pointing at Sunwoo, curled up on a bench with a peaceful expression as he slept.

“I see. Thanks so much for watching him and helping him with homework” Said Yonghwa, immediately quieting down. “So, have you eaten?”

“No, not yet.” Seohyun shook her head.

‘How about we order take-o—“ Then Yonghwa stopped talking when he realized who he was talking to. “I’m sorry. Take-out is probably not good enough for you right? You must eat way better than that every day…”

He trailed off.

“No, it’s okay! I’ve always really, really, really wanted to try take-out.” Said Seohyun and tried hard to convince him with her eyes that she sincerely really wanted to try take-out. The Duchess had never let them get take-out because apparently it was food unfit for their status and was only for the peasants. (AN: You kidding? I love take-out) When she was younger, whenever she walked past the pizza parlor or Chinese restaurant, she always wondered why peasants were luckier and got to eat food that smelled so good.

“Are you sure?” asked Yonghwa uncertainly as he took out his cell-phone.

“Yes, yes!” She squealed and Yonghwa shook his head at the childish girl who just that afternoon had been so adamantly opinionated about the importance of rules.

“Alright.” He dialed the pizza place. “2 large pizzas to unit 789 on road ~~~~~~~ (AN: Brain not functioning right now and not going to think of some road name or we’ll be stuck with something like Weeping Willow Road or something fail like that…) . Ok. Thank you. Yes, that’s all. Bye.”

“Yay! We’re getting take-out!”

“Wanna start on the work before it gets here?” asked Yonghwa, unwittingly smiling at the childish side of the school’s most accomplished student.

“Okay,” said Seohyun, sitting down on another bench and drew out a notebook and a couple of other books from her organized backpack which was beside the backpack Yonghwa had carelessly thrown aside when he had gone to work. She took out the sheet that labeled the criteria to be used for the project.

“Ok, so we have to use any way we can to properly demonstrate our understanding of the Midsummer’s Night Dream right?” asked Yonghwa, skimming the page.

“Yeah. I’m assuming most people are going to make a poster, write an essay or something like that.” Said Seohyun thoughtfully. “So I was thinking of maybe reenacting a scene from the play?”

“Well, that’s not exactly such a unique idea.” Pointed out Yonghwa. “I’m pretty sure that at least one ‘someone’ is going to think of that too.”

“I know but I’m so tired and hungry right now, I don’t think I can think properly.” Said Seohyun, flopping back. Yonghwa leaned back to.

“That reminds me… why were you so out of it today? It’s not like perfect Miss Seo Joohyun to Asian flunk a test like that.”

“Don’t talk to me about perfect.” Groaned Seohyun. “Day and night, perfect, perfect, perfect. That’s all I ever hear and if you start too Sunwoo is going to end up in my care because his brother is too dead to take care of him.”

“Quit changing the subject.” Said Yonghwa. Seohyun was silent for a moment.

“My unnie used to have this habit of coming home drunk all the time.” She started, speaking so quietly, that Yonghwa had to strain to hear her. “And last week, she suddenly had this change of heart and started acting like the unnie I knew and loved again. Then yesterday, she told me she was going drinking… so I stayed up late all night waiting for her, praying with all my heart that she wouldn’t revert back to her old habits. And she didn’t! She came home perfectly safe, albeit very, very late. I was so happy… but the test today was a total killjoy.” She grimaced. “But I’d do it all over again, if Sica unnie stayed that way. That’s all. I’m sorry about your mark... but aish, really, it’s not like I made you swap tests, you shouldn’t have done that. That’s totally against the rul—“

“So what caused the change of heart?” asked Yonghwa, entirely uninterested in what Seo had to say about rules.

“Can you believe it?” snorted Seohyun. “It was a guy. A guy got her to change for the better. After I spent all the years in my life, scoffing at the dramas Toria used to watch in secret and believing that guys were completely and utterly useless, a guy turned my sister’s life around. Must be some special boy.” She laughed softly.

“Special boy huh?” said Yonghwa, slowly. “Do you think I’ma  special boy?”

“Bwoh? Wha-What are you saying?” Seohyun looked shocked, as utterly shocked as she should be.

“I said.” Said Yonghwa softly, leaning in close enough that there was barely a cm in between their noses. “Do you think I’m special?”


Okaaays~ That’s it guys. I’m done. Omigosh I’m tired.

If anyone complains, I think I’m going to snap… 0.0 But in my opinion this chapter is pretty good… mm…

@hiko27 Sorry^^ I forgot to put in your name last time. ^^

Lols now you know why…

I keep thinking my stories don’t make sense… lols… I’m probably just weird…

I only watched the beginning of You’re Beautiful too. Going through HeartStrings right now…

And yeah, I know about the asian parent issue. Mine aren’t too bad but occasionally … arrrgh. I think the whole asian parent thing has something to do with the need to overachieve in asian kids too… so yupp yupp!

You know Jonghyun’s voice (from CNBlue, well, Kim Jonghyun does this to me too) when he sings, it’s like he pulls at my heart strings. I thougt Yong was a good singer but I didn’t think he could do that until I heard him in heartstrings.

Comment everybodies! Love

Rena:)