Faint Whispers

Behind Closed Doors

 

After that we became very good friends. We hung out in each of the cities we visited. We engaged in a little fan service here and there, an arm over my shoulder, a hand in mine. It was all that I could have asked for. But I guess Yunho thought I needed more. It was the night of the very last concert on the tour in New York in October. It had been a year. A whole year of just he and I flirting. My feelings for him had faltered slightly by then. At that point we were really just good friends. At the end of the concert we stood on stage next to each other. He was on my right and had his arm around my shoulders and our fingers interlocked platonically over my left shoulder. Suddenly, he moved his head to whisper into my ear. I didn't hear him the first time. I looked at him confusedly. 
He whispered again, "Will you go out with me?"
With those words heaven and earth stopped spinning yet my mind swirled into a threatening vortex. Unconsciously I nodded as I stared into his eyes. Then he was holding my hand and pulling me down as he bowed. Next thing I knew, I was in a car heading to the hotel holding a slip of paper in my hand. The next day we took a plane back to Seoul. We arrived in Seoul at 8 in the evening. I was so tired that I didn't give the slip of paper much thought. It had been three days since I had last seen Yunho. I sat on the living room floor in the dorm alone, just looking at the slip of paper as it rested in my palm. I took out my phone and dialed the number.
 
"Hello?", the voice spoke on the other line.
 
"Yunho... I-", I said but my voice was lost. My breathing was hitched. I couldn't breath. I sat there gasping for breath that was nowhere to be found. 
 
"Taemin? Tae? Are you okay? You sound sick. Taemin? I'm coming over."
 
And then everything went black. I was coming back to consciousness when I heard a knock on the door. I heard the door open.
 
"Taemin?! What are you doing?! Why are you like this?!" he shook my body urgently. He sounded as though he could die of worry. "Taemin! Please get up! Please!" I used every muscle in my body to give me the strength enough to open my eyes. I looked up and saw him hovering over me with tears in his eyes. I hugged him. I wrapped my arms around his neck and buried my face in his chest. He took off his coat and laid it down under our heads as he laid next to me. I curled into his side and we just stayed like that. It had been a long while when I mustered up the courage to speak. 
 
"Why did you say that?" I said quietly.
 
"Say what? Hello? That's what people usually say when they answer the phone or so I thought."
 
"No. What you said...at the concert."
 
"A guy isn't allowed to ask you out?" I didn't answer. He continued, "I like you and I was hoping that you felt the same but if you don't-"
 
"Where is this coming from?" I interrupted. I looked up at him.
 
"What do you mean? I've always liked you. Since the day we met. Don't you remember?"
 
"Oh. Yeah."
 
"Maybe this was a mis-"
 
"Yes.", I interrupted.
 
"What?" 
 
"Yes, I'll go on a date with you. I never really told you explicitly but I guess I should now."
 
I could feel the presence of his smile and I could see the reflection of his gorgeous teeth in front of me. 
 
"And stop doubting yourself so much. It's not y."