Headlines

Behind Closed Doors

 

Later that night, the boys found themselves at the SM building once again. They sat in Lee Soo Man's office again, this time much more comfortably. 
 
"So, the PR reps felt that it would be better to do this just like how Minho's scandal with Changmin went. You guys pretty much just go somewhere with your...significant others and be...together. Sorry, I'm still not used to this. Give it time."
 
"There's a problem though since Taemin and Minho don't have boyfriends." Key said carefully rubbing Taemin's back.
 
"Uhh...I think reactions will be better if we do this nonverbally. Like its not some big ordeal. I want this to be a story, not a scandal. This is supposed to be a good thing." Soo Man said. "Imagine the headlines. Onew and Key dating. Jonghyun and whoever have a cute date at the zoo. Taemin and Minho have been lying to their fans for years because they were ashamed. Dates are more appealing than confessions on radio shows."
 
"I hate to be the one to suggest this but maybe Minho and Taemin could kind of 'date'. It would only be temporary. Maybe they could be seen on a so-called date. Rumors will start that their dating. They'll deny it on radio shows and then after the suspense has built up, they could be seen with other people once they find someone. Just deny the rumors until they can confirm that they're false with somebody else. They can't deny for too long though because there is a super huge 2min fandom. We don't want to get the fans' hopes up and then crush them after like months of waiting." Jonghyun said.
 
"When did Jonghyun become a genius?" Key said.
 
"Thanks." Jonghyun said smiling proudly.
 
"Then it's settled. Taemin and Minho are 2min starting tomorrow." 
 
 
-The next day- 
 
The Shinee boys read he news article titles.
 
10:27am: "Shinee outing with Exo Baekhyun at the mall"
 
1:04pm: "Shinee Onew and Key spotted kissing"
 
1:57pm: Shinee Jonghyun and Exo Baekhyun seen holding hands and kissing at the airport?"
 
3:00pm: "Shinee Maknae Taemin and Minho dating?"
 
They knew that there were hundreds of reporters just outside of their building and the SM building. They felt the pressure of the fans' reactions but they also felt that a weight had been lifted from their shoulders. They were free and out. Well, not officially until they confirm the 'rumors' from the news but people knew. Onew wouldn't let any of hem read the comments on the articles though. All they did was wait. Baekhyun was probably on the plane to Busan that Jonghyun dropped him off for. There was really no one they could call.
 
-Later that night-
 
Onew's phone rang and Key answered once again.
 
"Hello?" Key said. Key paced as a he spoke, an "uh huh" and an "all right" here and there. When he hung up, everyone was curious as to what happened. 
 
"That was manager hyung. He says we're going on a radio show tonight to talk about stuff." 
 
-Later that night- 
 
Interviewer: So we had some interesting headlines today, didn't we?
 
They all laughed casually.
 
Interviewer: Let's start with our courageous leader. What exactly do you guys think of these headlines?
 
Onew: Well, I think they're surprisingly accurate and to the point for usual news. 
 
Interviewer: Accurate? Do you mean that this was the result you intended?"
 
Onew: "Well, kind of, yes. Key and I wouldn't kiss in public for nothing. As idols, it is so hard sometimes to date, let alone date in public. Even dating each other is difficult. But we felt that it was unfair to hide our feelings from our fans. We want them to accept us for all of our strengths and weaknesses, in sickness and in health, the good and bad points. It was a way for us to have an even greater connection with our fans. 
 
Interviewer: Oh, wow. It really seems like you truly value your relationship with your fans.
 
Onew: We do which is why we want our relationship to be honest. 
 
Interviewer: I agree. So what does Key think about these headlines? 
 
Key: It's a great relief actually. It's very reassuring to know that we have fans who support us through everything and I'm excited for what's to come.
 
Interviewer: Let's go to our Maknae and Flaming Charisma Minho. As younger members, are you handling the headlines the same way?
 
Minho: I acknowledge that as younger members, we aren't as fit to handle this situation with as much confidence as our hyungs but we both think that this could be a great thing and it makes life easier for us and hopefully it will make life easier for our fans. 
 
Taemin: Yeah. This decision took a lot of thought and being able to display our romantic interests unashamed is new but very refreshing.m
 
Interviewer: So mature.
 
They all laughed.
 
Interviewer: How about Jonghyun-ssi?
 
Jonghyun: I feel like life is gonna be eight times more fun. I feel like life is better when you share your feelings and emotions with the people around you. This is going to be a fun change. 
 
The Interviewer laughed.
 
Interviewer: So why don't we get to the details since the fans outside have been anticipating the answers greatly. So, are Onew and Key together?
 
Key: Yes.
 
Onew grabbed his hand. There were screams outside. They laughed. 
 
Interviewer: So exciting! So how long have you two been together?
 
Key: Three years on November 26. We hope that you (the fans) will celebrate with us and support us!
 
Key smiled. More screams
 
Interviewer: Wow. How exciting. It must be true love to be band ages and stay together that long.
 
Onew and Key looked at each other. 
 
Key: Well, we are the parents of the group. It was inevitable.
 
Interviewer: How about Minho and Taemin?
 
Taemin: We aren't in a relationship but we're just testing things out. Hanging out and just spending time together. Innocent dating.
 
Screams. Fangirling.
 
Interviewer: High popularity for these couples, huh? How about our lonely Jonghyun? 
 
Jonghyun laughed.
 
Jonghyun: Exo's Baekhyun and I have been together for six months. He's out of town though. 
 
Interviewer: Can we call him?
 
Jonghyun laughed and shrugged.
 
Jonghyun: We can try.
 
B: Hello?
 
J: Baekhyun? It's me.
 
B: Oh, hi. 
 
J: I'm on a radio show right now.
 
B: Oh, how fun. Hello everyone!
 
Jonghyun gives the phone to the interviewer.
 
I: Hello Baekhyun? I wanted to know how long you and Jonghyun have been together.
 
B: Six months. 
 
I: Ohhh he did well.
 
The interviewer handed the phone back to Jonghyun.
 
J: I did, didn't I?
 
B: You did. Okay, I gotta go.
 
J: Okay talk to you later?
 
B: Yup. 
 
J: Miss you already.
 
Screams.
 
B: Miss you too. I love you.
 
J: Love you too. 
 
The interview went really well and it was a lot of fun to see the fans so excited about something. Maybe this would work out after all.