Yonggam

Behind Closed Doors

 

Nearly a month later, Taemin and Yunho were in the public eye and they received quite a lot of attention for it. Photographers were there wherever they went with fangirls not too far behind. They seemed like a real couple, being spotted in the airport, walking the streets of Japan and even vacationing together. Everything felt right. It was slowly getting colder so they decided to leave the country. Yunho decided on the destination so that it would be a surprise. He led Taemin through the airport with his hands over his eyes. And ear plugs due to the generic female voices that announced boarding times. Taemin was having fun with it though. Yunho though that his cluelessness was endearing.
Once they arrived, Yunho told Taemin to open his eyes. When he opened the he recognized LAX. Taemin immediately punched Yunho's arm.
 
"Idiot! I thought we were going some place exotic or different." 
 
"Ouch! You won't be disappointed." Yunho said faking a pained expression and then smiling and holding out his hand for Taemin to hold. Taemin complied with a pout. Later that night, Taemin and Yunho got dressed in order to go to yet another unknown destination. When they arrived Taemin was dressed pretty nicely along with Yunho. When he opened his eyes this time, he saw a sports complex. 
 
"You're taking me to watch a sports match?" Taemin asked with a raised eyebrow. 
 
"Hey, it's not any sports match. It's a Lakers game." Yunho argued.
 
"You have got to be kidding me." Taemin said with a smile.
 
"The Laker Girls will be there." Yunho said jokingly.
 
"Now, I'm sold since I totally love watching women dance in barely any clothes." Taemin said sarcastically.
 
"Let's go." Yunho grabs his hand and they go in to sit in their court-side seats. The KissCam went around the court. Taemin observed wi a very shocked expression as he had never seen anything like this before. His eyes went even wider when he saw himself on it. He looked at Yunho but before he could see his expression Yunho had kissed. In front of all of these American people. Hoots and hollers could be heard behind them and Taemin's face turned red.  An old woman turned to Yunho and said, "You have a beautiful girlfriend. Treat her well." Yunho didn't understand her words verbatim but he got the gist of it so he nodded. Taemin looked confused. 
 
"She thinks you're a girl." Yunho whispered to him with a look of amusement. Yunho suddenly announced that he needed to go to the restroom right before the half time buzzer rang. 
 
"You're going to miss the Laker girls." Taemin warned pulling on his hand.
 
"I've seen them a million times before. It's all right." Yunho said.
 
"Are you sure?" Taemin said.
 
"Yeah, have fun." Yunho said pulling his hand from Taemin's and retreating up the stairs to the nearest exit. After Yunho left, Taemin watched the Laker girls perform and assessed their dancing skills as average. He was surprised though that when their performance ended, one of them came up to him and grabbed his hand dragging him to the middle of the court. There were cheers. The girl whispered to him, "You're cute." and his face turned red as he thanked her. 
 
"Just stay here." She said and ran off court. Somewhere Only We Know by Keane started playing. He remembered this song because Yunho had played it for him while they were in the plane sharing headphones to his iPod. He identified this song as one of his favorites. Taemin smiled to himself and hummed to the melody. Suddenly, Yunho appeared under the home hoop in all black. Black shirt, black tie, black pants. Just he way Taemin liked it. He strutted his way to mid court to meet Taemin for what seemed like years. Taemin laughed still oblivious to what was happening. I think everyone in the stadium was a little surprised too. Yunho had a microphone. He started speaking in Korean to Taemin. 
 
"Listen to the lyrics of the song. I told you that it was my favorite. I hope it becomes your favorite too." He started to translate the lyrics of the song, "I came across a fallen tree. I felt the branches of it looking at me. Is this the place we used to love? Is this he place that I've been dreaming of? Oh simple thing, where have you gone? I'm getting old and I need something's to rely on. So tell me when you're gonna let me in. I'm getting tired and I need somewhere to begin. And if you have a minute why don't we go? Talk about it somewhere only we know. This could be the end of everything so why don't we go somewhere only we know. Taemin, if you hadn't realized, I'm getting a little old." Taemin laughed at this and then bit his lip waiting for him to continue. "I need you to rely on and I want to begin with you because you're the freshest toothpaste to me in the morning. You open my eyes and that's the greatest blessing that I could have asked for. You wake me up from my nightmares but you let me live in my dreams. You're always there. Always on my mind. I want it to stay that way." Yunho gets on one knee. The crowd goes wild. Although they couldn't understand Korean, proposals really speak no language. Taemin immediately gasps, eyes going wide and mouth gaping. He really wasn't expecting this. 
 
"Taemin, look in your pocket." 
 
Taemin unconsciously put his hand in his pocket and found a jewelry box. 
 
"Omo..." Taemin said under his breath and handed the box to Yunho. Yunho opened the box and revealed the prettiest diamond Taemin had ever seen. The ring was white gold with a Whie band in the middle. 
 
"Lee Taemin, will you marry this old man?" Yunho asks. Without another thought, Taemin grabs his shoulders and pulls him up. He wraps his arms around his neck and kisses him. More cheering for the stuff that the crowd understands. 
 
"Yes." Taemin breathes out once they pull away. Yunho puts the ring on Taemin's finger and holds up Taemin's hand for everyone to see.
 
"Let's go sit." They go back to their seats and finish watching the game. Once they get into the car to head back to their hotel, Taemin let's out a long sigh. Yunho squeezes his hand.
 
"What's wrong?" Yunho asked with his eyes on the road.
 
"Absolutely nothing. But I feel like I've been holding in that breath since..."
 
"Since I proposed?" Yunho asks.
 
"Yeah. That. Why did you propose to me here?" Taemin asks turning to look at Yunho.
 
"Because this was where our second beginning was. I wanted this to be the sight of the beginning of our lives together. Plus I know you liked the privacy, and secrecy and mystery of sneaking around behind closed doors in our dorms so I wanted to make this something for just us." 
 
"But all those people saw us."
 
"But they didn't understand a word I said. Didn't it feel like it was just me and you when I was speaking those lyrics and calling you the freshest toothpaste? They don't know a word of that. No one probably will since whatever videos they have may butcher my actual words. Those words were just yours."
 
"Thank you." Taemin says holding Yunho's hand.
 
"For what?" 
 
"For loving me." 
 
"I love you too." 
 
"I'm going to call you Yonggam just like Key hyung calls Onew hyung."
 
"Fine." 
 
Taemin goes closer to Yunho's ear. "Let's keep lots of secrets together. And soundproof the doors and walls at our house after we get married." Taemin whispers in his ear. Yunho smiles at him. Taemin bites his lip and looks forward. Towards the road, towards the world, towards the future. His future with that Yonggam.