The Closet

Behind Closed Doors

 

They all left the SM Building and got to calling family and friends in preparation for the next day. The last thing they wanted was for their parents and their friends to find out that they were gay from a news article without them knowing first. They saved the call to their boyfriends for last. Onew and Key had it really easy in this situation. 
 
"Hello?"
 
"Hey, it's Jonghyun."
 
"Hi."
 
"How are you?"
 
"I'm...good. I was really happy when I saw your name on my caller ID? Should I have been happy? You sound upset."
 
"No, no, no. I'm fine. Um...I just wanted to talk to you about something."
 
"What's going on?" 
 
"Um...so, somehow Soo Man found out that all of us in SHINee are gay because somebody threatened to reveal our secret so Soo Man wants us to come out tomorrow."
 
"I can tell that's not the end of the story."
 
"He said it might be easier if we do it with our, quote, significant other, end quote."
 
"So you want me to come out with you?" 
 
"Yes...I don't want to hide my feelings for you anymore." Jonghyun could hear Baekhyun smile at his words through the phone.
 
"And what are your feelings?"
 
"Well, we've been together for almost six months now and I...I love you. I'm in love with you." There was a long pause.
 
"I love you too, Jonghyun." 
 
"I gotta go but I'll call you later when I get the details of when this is gonna happen but in the meantime, I suggest that you call your family and friends about it before it becomes national news."
 
"They already know. Well everyone important knows." 
 
"Perfection. Like you always are and will be." Jonghyun said smiling.
 
"Oh, shut up." Jonghyun laughed.
 
"Okay, all to you later. Love you."
 
"Love you too, bye." Jonghyun hung up and then walked out to the living room with a smile on his face to join Onew and Key. 
 
"How'd it go?" Onew asked.
 
"Great." Jonghyun said smiling to himself.
 
"Good. Now we just have to wait for Minho and Taemin." 
Suddenly, Minho walks in. 
 
"Hey. How'd it go?"
 
"Um...actually Changmin and I broke up a few weeks ago."
 
"What happened?" Key asked gesturing for him to sit down.
 
"Well, let's just say I mentioned a future and he didn't like it. Well he didn't like the public pat of the future I wanted so I ended it. I said if you're embarrassed by me then go find someone who meets you standards."
 
"You poor baby. Minho, how come you never told anyone?"
 
"I don't know. I was upset and I didn't know what to do with myself. I couldn't talk about it. I don't want to talk about him anymore. Where's Taemin, though?"
 
"He's still in his room."
 
-Meanwhile in Taemin's room-
 
"Hello?" Yunho answered on the third ring.
 
"Hey, it's Taemin."
 
"Hey, babe. How are you?" Yunho said sounding happy.
 
"I'm good." Taemin smiled.
 
"That's good. What's going on?"
 
"So we've been dating for awhile and well an issue came up. In summary, some guy threatened Lee Soo Man to out SHINee and so he wants us to come out before anyone else can do it for us. Lee Soo Man said he would like if we came out with our boyfriends so I want you to come out with me." Taemin said quickly. There was an audible sigh on the other side of the conversation.
 
"I can't."
 
"Huh?" Taemin said dumbfounded.
 
"I love you but I can't." Yunho said sighing again. There was silence from Taemin.
 
"I'm the leader of DBSK. We're supposed to be the manly group. I can't come out. Plus you're too young. It'll make me look bad." Yunho said.
 
"Oh I get it now. You got some from the teenager. You must be so proud. Did your buddies give you a high five?! Did you get 50 bucks?!" Taemin said angrily. "You just don't want to go public with me because you don't love me. All you want is the . All you've ever wanted was the and you don't want to go public because you don't want people to know that that's all you'd using me for. You're ashamed that you're gay. How can you say I'm too young when you're still hiding in the closet." 
 
"I'm not ashamed to be gay. I just think I can do better." 
 
"Go to hell." Taemin said hanging up the phone. He started to cry quietly. Just tears running down his cheeks and a hole in his chest. Suddenly he felt so empty. He curled up in a ball and soaked his pillow. Little did he know that the guys had had their ears stuck to the door listening. They walked in and laid down with him, wrapping their arms around him and laying with him in silence. Soon they all fell asleep.