Surprise !

The New Guy

Right after their class, Ama went back the dorm and brought along Valerie and Elena since their next class was cancelled – the teacher told them the week before that she wouldn’t be there.

 

Half an hour later, the three girls were in Ama’s room, talking and fangirling about their K-Pop group. From time to time, Ama would check her phone and, one time, the last one –she smiled widely after checking her messages, making the other girls stare at her with curious eyes.

 

“The surprise is here.”

 

“Here ? Where “here” ? I can’t see anything surprising in your room...” said Valerie, almost serious.

 

“Babo. Just wait and you’ll see the surprise.”

 

She stood up, put her shoes on and left the room, letting her two friends wondering what was the famous surprise.

 

Five minutes later, Ama came back with someone else: Someone a little taller than her, with dark red – not ginger, RED – hair and red glasses.

 

“BEEEEEEEE!”

 

That was the two girls when they saw me. I was the surprise. I didn’t have school that week so I took my courage and drove all the way there. I hate driving, even more when it’s long and, not to help, alone with my stupid GPS that didn’t want me to get there in time.

 

“I told you I’d give you a hug, I don’t remember why, thought… So here it is!” I told Valerie.

 

I hugged her right after I said that and I gave one to Elena.

 

“I never promised you one, but you’re here so you have one.”

 

And then, we started talking and I fangirled with them all the afternoon. We went for a walk, too, and I found a way to lose them.

 

Completely lost, I ended up in front of the Cegep. I sighed. That was all the luck I had. At least, I was at public place with ton of “young adults” everywhere. I could probably find someone with a cellphone – I left mine at Ama’s apartment. I sat on a bench, near the street, and started talking to myself, not caring about what the people could think about me.

 

“Bee, stop being stupid. It’s not ‘cause you ARE blond, even if you don’t want to admit it, that you have to be the defenseless, lost girl in Montreal that can’t find her way back to her friend’s place…”

 

I passed my hand in my hair, sighting.

 

“Ama is SO going to kill me. And Val too. And Elen…” I stopped in the middle of ‘Na’s name (I know, that was kind of obvious) and stared at the guy in front of me.

 

Why did I stare? Simply because he was staring at me with ?__? eyes. He wasn’t alone, actually, he was with three of his friends. All Asians too. But, that’s not something important for now.

 

“If you’re going to stand there and stare at me, I’ll start talking to myself again. Oh, and, by the way, your friends are waiting for you, stranger, just so you know” I said.

 

“Bee…?”

 

I nodded slowly, not knowing why he said my nickname – that he probably heard when I was talking to myself – and waited for him to continue.

 

“You’re the girl at Valerie’s house yesterday, weren’t you? The one that shouted in the mic ?” he asked.

 

“Euh… I was on Skype with her, yes. Why…?”

 

I thought about it a short moment.

 

“Oh ! You’re the hot Asian guy she talked about! Right ?”

 

I smiled. I love to make people feel uneasy. And seeing how red he was after he finished blushing, I did a good job.

 

“You must be. Than… euh… I don’t remember your name. But it  doesn’t really matter.”

 

I put my hands on his shoulder, looking at him right in the eyes.

 

“Tell me you know where the dorm his. PLEASE.”

 

He seemed to wonder why I was asking this, but he still said he knew. I let him go, smiling.

 

“Then, show me. I got lost and I can’t go back to Ama’s place alone.”

 

One of his friends tried to contain a laugh. And failed to do so. My eyes went on his and I started judging – I always judge : Tall, hot, dark brow hair with the eyes that come with the Asian genes, his skin was… well… he looked like a ghost. And he had the mouth .

 

“What are you laughing at, ghost boy ?”

 

“You.”

 

“Not for real, I thought you were laughing of something else.”

 

I was totally being sarcastic.

 

He turned and said to the Hot-Asian-Guy #1 : “If you show her the way, I want to come. It’ll be fun.”

 

I sighted and looked at the two others that were behind, waiting.

 

“Any other volunteer? “

 

I think the girls would just kill me if I actually come back with four hot Asian Guys...

 

The two guys didn’t answer, but they smiled. One seemed to be lost in his thoughts, probably thinking about… well... something. And the other, well, he looked nice. He had that vibe around him that was shouting “I am the nicest-and-hottest person on Earth/I love everyone”. A vibe that was near the one of 'Na, I realized later.

 

“You don’t have the choice.” I decided that and then looked at the Hot-Asian-Guy #1. “I’ll follow you.”

 

He nodded, still a little red, and went first. Mouth went right after and whispered a “Don’t get lost this time” in my ear before escaping with an evil laugh when I tried to hit him. The nice guy just followed and the lost-in-his-thoughts one did the same. I was behind them, letting them talk together.

 

I ended up thinking about lots of things at the same time – even if none made any sense – and started walking slower and slower without noticing. I came back to myself when I felt a hand taking mine. My eyes went down on the hand. She was big, warm and...manly. My eyes went up to see the owner of the hand: it was the lost-in-his-thoughts one. My eyes went from his eyes to our hands few times and then, I just stared at him with curious eyes.

 

“You were slowing down.” Was his answer to my silent question.

 

“I can walk alone, I’m a big girl now, you know ?”

 

“I don’t doubt it, but it’d be bad if you get lost again.”

 

“I would be, right.”

 

A moment passed and the distance between the three others was shorter.

 

“But, what’s the use of holding hands ?”

 

I can’t stay silent too long. Well, I can but that's when I'm thinking too much (or not enough).

 

“Just in case.”

 

And just as he said it, I tripped and almost fell. Almost. He was there to catch me.

 

“Thanks.”

 

It was my turn to blush.

 

“That’s why the “holding hands” thing is useful. I just thought this would happen.”

 

He smiled.

 

That. Just. Killed. Me.

 

He knew it. When his eyes went back to the others in front of us, his smile was bigger.

 

After ten minutes walking, I strated thinking of when I got lost. It took me five to get to the cegep when I was lost the first time. And I didn't knew the way. I remembered that Ama always told me it takes her 2-3 minutes walking from the dorm to the school... And we were walking for a little more than 10 minutes... Something was wrong there.

 

I let go of his hand and walked a little faster to join Mouth and Hot-Asian-Guy #1. I ended up between those two.

 

“Hey, do you know where you go ?” I asked.

 

“More than you do, air-head.”

 

I tried to push pushed Mouth away. It didn’t work and he laughed again.

 

“So?”

 

“I know where it is.”

 

“Then why is it this long?”

 

“Because he cares about his friends, stupid.” Mouth said.

 

Here we go, an other fail-to-push-the-evil-being.

 

“That’s why you make us walk four time the normal distance ? Because you care about their health?”

 

“Not their health…”

 

“What then?”

 

“Their heart.” A voice said behind me.  It was the nice guy.

 

“I don’t really understand, but I don’t really care. Can we go back now? I’m cold.”

 

“You don’t understand ‘cause you are an idiot.”

 

Mouth was seriously making me want to beat him to death. And then, I thought that Ama would love him. Just like that.

 

“I wasn’t talking to you, Mouth.”

 

“Mouth ?”

 

“Mouth.” Back to the Hot-Asian-Guy#1… let’s call him Monkey instead.

 

Back to Monkey : “So?”

 

He smiled. Just like that. Not a word. I took that as a yes and slowed down a little to walk beside the lost-in-his-thoughts one.

 

He was far away, in an other world when I talked to him.

 

“What are you thinking about?” I asked.

 

“The sky.”

 

I looked up. It was blue, with chubby white clouds.

 

“I can understand that.”

 

I stayed silent for a moment.

 

“What are you thinking about?”

 

It was his turn to ask this. It was the I-don’t-know-what-to-say sentence of the moment.

 

“You.”

 

“Me? What’s about me?”

 

He seemed amused. I wonder why ~

 

“You’re hot.”

 

He chuckled and took my hand when I almost-fell a second time.

 

After five minutes, we were in front of Ama’s place.