Old Montreal

The New Guy

Once everyone got to the meeting point, we agreed on an hour to be back to the cars. Of course, if any problem were to happen, our cellphones were on. At first, we walked the eight of us together, without any precise idea of where we were heading, but soon enough, Elena and Leeteuk took a different turn, wanting to be just the both them together.

 

-‘Na is being distant since she met him, she changed...

 

Valerie said out loud what Ama and she were thinking. As for the guys and me, we didn’t know her well enough to notice any difference. Ama sighed.

 

-Yeah, some people are like that, forgetting their friends as soon as they have a boyfriend, putting everyone aside for someone they barely know.

 

She gave me a look. I smiled softly, feeling a little guilty. I knew she didn’t approve most of my relationship choices. Some of these said choices even made me stop talking to her for a moment, few months before. But time passed and things fell back into places.

 

Siwon cleared his throat to break the silence that was starting to get heavy.

 

-I don’t know about your friend, but I’ve known Teukie for a while now and I can say for sure he tries his best to make everyone happy. For the moment, it’s her happiness that counts the most.

 

I pressed his hand. When we were with everyone, he never talked much, preferring to be a silent presence. Alone, we could talk of everything and anything for hours or just stay silent and enjoying our time together. Nobody said a thing after him, some nodded silently, but nothing more. Ama, Val and I didn’t know Leeteuk, even if he did seem like the kind of guy to care about others before himself and the guys, Eunhyuk, Mouth and Siwon, didn’t know Elena at all, just as he said.

 

When my feet began to hurt a little, I asked if anyone wanted to stop at a café to rest a little. Ama said she had something she wanted to check and Eunhyuk wished to see the port before the sunset. Again, the group split into pairs.

 

Eunhyuk’s didn’t really wish to see the port during daylight. It was the first thing that came to his mind. Not that he minded going to the café or anything. No. He wanted to have a time alone with Valérie. He wanted to have her just for himself. To be with her. To hold her hand while walking. To hug her. To kiss her. He really desired all of these little things. He wished he could see her blush out of shyness while he holds her hand.

 

«Am I selfish for wanting that? Am I weird to hope to have a chance to see her blush? Maybe the port wasn’t the best idea... is it even open for the public? Man, you are not better than her. Just thinking about that and you feel nervous. Nervous? Not really. Not anxious either. Am I scared? Maybe. Maybe I am scared to see her push me away? Maybe yesterday and this afternoon were a dream? Maybe her tiny friend really killed us back then... Maaaaan... I’m thinking to much. ACT. Do something. Nothing will happen if you don’t d...Wait, wait, wait... What? She... She took my hand. Aaaaw, that’s so cute. I can see she’s a little red... maybe it’s because she’s cold? Or hot? Or... or... or...»

 

-You’re thinking too much. I can almost hear your brain working.

 

His mind was suddenly blank as his eyes were locked on the sight of their hands intertwined. A big, gummy, super happy smile appeared on his face. His gaze went from their hands to Val’s face.

 

-You have no idea how happy this makes me.

 

She laughed for a second.

 

-You’re smiling so much your face is 80% gums and your eyes disappeared. I could have guessed it alone.

 

He worried for a second about his gummy smile, not being fond of that part of him. Unconsciously, he raised his other hand to cover his mouth. Valerie stopped walking when she noticed.

 

-Why are you doing this?

-Doing what?

-Hiding your smile.

-Because I don’t like it, he pouted.

-Why not? I do. It’s the proof you are happy.

-You... you like it?

-Yes, I like it. So, like it too.

 

He lowered his hand and pulled her against him to hug her.

 

-I like you so, so much.

 

Valérie froze for a second or two when he hugged her and another second when he spoke. Like? It wasn’t love...

 

«He likes me. He doesn’t know me. At all. What did I do? What did I got myself into? Val, that wasn’t a good idea... but I have this y dancing machine monkey idiot with the cutest gummy smile EVER just for me... And he says he likes me. But he don’t know me. Maybe he’ll change idea. Maybe... Maybe...»

 

It was Valerie’s turn to be lost in her thoughts. Eunhyuk had released her a little before he noticed. When he did, he moved the hand that was still holding hers and brushed her hair. It brought her back to Earth.

 

-There’s no need to stress or worry about anything, you know?

 

Valerie started breathing again, letting out the air she blocked without noticing when she was thinking.

 

-I don’t know what to do...

 

She pressed her face on his shoulder, a little whine escaping . That sound gave the guy the urge to comfort her. He patted his back, never stopped brushing her hair all this time – he really had a thing for her hair – and ended up by pushing her a little away from him.

 

-Look at me.

 

She raised her head slowly, not sure of what he would say.

 

-You don’t have to worry about a thing. I have no idea what we are doing either. But it feels good. I felt good the second I met you... ok, maybe not the second exactly, since you clearly didn’t want to be there when your dad called you, but you get the idea. If this doesn’t go into something more, it’ll be a good moment, that’s all. It’s not harder than that. Are you feeling good when we are together?

 

She lowered her head.

 

-I feel like an idiot right now...

 

He made her raise her face again and bent down a little to press his forehead against hers, asking silently permission to kiss her. She closed her eyes and her breathing got faster a little. He took that as a yes, but, just pecked her lips with his to make sure it really was a positive answer. He didn’t want to scare her away from.

 

It was. She immediately felt more relaxed. When Val felt his lips going away right after they touched her, her hands reached his neck and pulled him back shyly to her. She could feel him smiling as they started kissing. Being in public, it didn’t last as long as they wished.

 

-I can feel you smile, dummy, Valerie whispered.

-You’re not better than me, he answered on the same tone.

 

She was smiling, he was right. The skinny guy bopped his nose against hers before letting her go, only keeping their hand in contact. They started walking again, not saying much. Once they reached the water, they sit on a nearby bench and he passed an arm across her shoulders.

 

-It feels good, doesn’t it?

 

She let her head read on his shoulder.

 

-Yeah, it does.