Until 4

The New Guy

The next day, at noon, everyone paired up at some place while I was obediently waiting in Ama’s room. The morning, before leaving for school, she made it very clear that I could not leave her place. The only door I was allowed to cross was the bathroom’s. I was scared enough to obey. Between her classes, Ama met Siwon. Of course, she was herself and doing it only because she was the one who proposed the whole “everyone pairs up and then I judge those lame boys”. Her need to eat something had also a big part in her reasons to go back at the studio. All this to say, he followed her to come and get me. When they got there, I was ready – and by ready, I mean having clothes on and being half awake. Siwon and I only left after Ama gave us a last “I don’t trust him if something happens to her you’re not better than dead” and we spent the afternoon together.

Somewhere else, the smiling guy, Leeteuk, was with Elena. They grabbed something to eat and walked here and there all afternoon, talking and being sweet to each other, the shyness slowly going away, leaving the place for a comfortable atmosphere with a little something romantic.

Ama stayed indoors until two idiots started running and shouting and being idiots in the room above hers. After that, she decided to go out and take pictures of anything until the chicken idiot’s class ended.

Val and Eunhyuk, on their side, went back to his place.

 

The night before, Valerie called her parents to tell them she would sleep at a friend’s house, not mentioning that it was only beside theirs. Monkey let her sleep on the bed and took for himself a floor, a pillow, a sheet... and another quick hug just before closing the light for the night. The following morning, Val became as discreet and silent as a shadow and changed her clothes in her house without even alerting the dogs before taking the bus to school. The people she despised left the day before, sometime during the evening, but she didn’t want to take a chance. Or at least that’s the reason she came up with, not willing to admit that she actually fully enjoying the presence of the y monkey beast her neighbour was.

They were once again in his room. They ate their lunch listening and talking about everything that could cross their mind. After, he showed some more dance moves. Things were going well until Valerie realised she was lying down with a half man in his bed. Even if they weren’t really touching each other – he took her hand when she wasn’t paying attention, ready to avoid any violent reaction she could have or just to let go of her fingers –, she was suddenly over conscious of their proximity. Her cheeks turned a little red and, before he could do anything, she pushed him off the bed. For such a skinny body, he made a lot of noise when he reached to floor. He even squeaked a little out more of surprise than pain.

 

- Why did you do that?

- I...

 

She stopped. Why? That was a good question.

 

- Put a shirt back on, you indecent monkey, she eluded.

- Indecent monkey? Is that worst or better than an egoist y idiot?

- A what? Oh. You remember that. I... It’s the same.

- The same?

- Yes. You’re still you, right?

- I’m still me, yes. I could even say I am very me. A lot myself.

 

He had a little smile, just to show her he was laughing of her question, but not in a bad way. He got up and grabbed a shirt lying on the top of a chair.

 

- Am I decent, now?

- It’s better.

- But?

- Even in a winter suit in a black room two thousand feet away from me you’d still be indecent.

- I guess that makes sense...

- It does for me.

- I hope so!

- ...

- Can I get back on my bed?

- Can you?

- You are not a grade school teacher. Sure as hell I can get on my bed. Just watch me!

 

And on these words, he jumped on the bed, making Valerie let out a scream at her turn.

They both laughed.

 

The silence, at first light and full of joy, gradually became more intense and heavy. Not an uncomfortable heavy. A serious, full of unexpressed feelings kind of silence. Before they knew it, they were practically hugging again, closer than never before, looking in the other’s eyes, few inches away. A very little few, not a lot at all.

Slowly, Eunkyuk took her hand in his, pressed it and let her go just to slowly reach her cheek. He let his fingers run on her arm, shoulder, neck. He caressed her cheek, pushed her hair off face.

Valerie’s hands were holding on his shirt. She did not know what to do. How to react? She wanted this so badly, but she was scared of not knowing where this would go.

 

- What if I change idea? What if I get scared? What if you hurt me? Or if I hurt you? I don’t know what to do. What... Hyukkie...

 

He smiled, all of his tenderness showing on his face and movements.

 

- You don’t have to do anything you don’t want. I’ll do my best not hurt you and I can take it if you’re not all sweet and loving. Just don’t go back to ignoring me...

 

She clenched her fists, still holding his shirt.

 

- Hyukkie...

 

She breathed deeply.

 

- I don’t hate you at all.

 

He showed a gummy smile full of love.

 

- I’m happy to hear you say that. I don’t hate you either.

 

Searching for any reaction showing her disapproval or uneasiness, his face erased the distance between them. He started by pressing a little his lips on her forehead. She didn’t push him away even if he felt her hands squeezing his shirt more tightly. He kissed the tip of her nose and waited a little more. His eyes looking directly in hers.

 

- You’re sure?

 

She stayed silent for a moment and he respected that.

They didn’t know each other for long. She could still remember her father forcing her to show him the way to school. She could still remember being mean to him. And him telling her he felt something for her. Has it at least been a week since it all started? How could she become this close to someone in this short period of time? Was if she was just a game for him? No. It wasn’t like him. He liked her. But it was her first time being attracted this much to someone, anyone. It was clearly more than a friendly feeling, but was it love? Would it become love if they took more time? She never even thought of being seriously in love with someone. She could fantasize and fangirl over Korean pop stars, but she knew it wasn’t real. He was real. She could touch him. She could feel him. Feel for him. He was there. Her miracle, in a way. In less than a week he broke all he limits she didn’t even know she had set.

 

- Val... You’re ok?

- Yes.

 

He was gently playing in her hair, waiting for her.

 

- Eunhyuk...

 - Hum?

- It’s... ok. I am not sure. But at the same time, I want to.

- Really?

- Stop asking, I’ll change idea.

- I just don’t want you to regret anything.

- I know. But I’ll probably regret not doing it.

 

He pressed his forehead on hers, looking in the depth of her eyes and soul. Then, he reduced the distance between their mouths as she closed her eyes.

 

And Val’s cellphone rang.

 

And they didn’t hear it.

 

They kissed.

 

Somewhere far away, Ama was holding her cellphone, looking at the tall guy lying on her bed, taking all the place.

 

- Val is not answering.

- Let them be, I wasn’t supposed to finish my class for another hour. You said four o’clock, no? We can wait ‘til then. I’m sure we’ll find a way to pass time.

 

Ama sighed.

 

- Push your fat off my bed. Or at least, let me some place! I can’t believe you can take this much place!