Chapter 8

The Chase

 

"So, what kind of questions are we talking about?" Seungri leaned in, rubbing his hands together and raising his eyebrows. Jiyong rolled his eyes.
 
Honestly, the whole team was in favor of letting Yeji in on everything. Secretly, of course. Maybe it was because that every case they let her in in, they would usually succeed at the whole case. But, it wasn't like they put her in the field at all. She usually just helped by going through papers and helping on finding leads.
 
"Maybe names and times?" She asked, pulling up an extra chair and putting herself between Seunghyun and Taeyang.
 
Seunghyun got up and ruffled through a cabinet, coming back with a file in his hands. He opened it with one hand and leaned back in his chair as he read aloud. "Victim was Yoon Doojoon. 23 years old. He died at around 10:47 p.m. He was recently married and has a newborn son, both of whom are perfectly fine." He confirmed as he shut the folder. Poor girl. Yeji thought.
 
She nodded. "Have you guys talked to the wife yet?"
 
"Yes, actually." Jiyong answered. "She said that he was well liked by everyone, and lively."
 
"Surprise, surprise.." Daesung commented. "Every case is like that."
 
Yeji once again nodded. It was always the unexpected person. Always. Same for the killer, usually.
 
"Do you guys have pictures or anything?"
 
Seungri took a whole stack and handed them to Yeji. "Here's the crime scene, some of his home, and the possible suspects."
 
She flipped through and stopped. "Is this his family?" She pointed out a picture taken of another picture. A tall man with dark hair was sitting on a sofa with his arm around a woman's shoulders, most likely his wife. In her arms and the middle was a small baby smiling at something other than the camera.
 
Taeyang confirmed for her. "Yep. His wife's name is Gayoon and the little kid is Jowoo."
 
She flipped through more pictures and ended up checking out the suspects as Jiyong was over her shoulder telling her who they were. "That guy is Lee Kikwang. That's Yang Yoseob. Of course, his wife is included. Then, all that's left is Junhyung and Son Dongwoon."
 
"Okay, okay." She said slowly, trying to remember their faces so if she ever saw them on the street, she could observe.
 
"That's all we have right now, but if anything comes up, you can bet that we'll tell you." Taeyang told her.
 
She gave a sheepish smile. "Thanks oppa."
 
Two hands covered her eyes, and a low voice spoke up. "Guess who.."
 
"If you don't get your hands off me, I will put you to the ground." She warned.
 
"Aww, what's the fun in- whaa!" He shrieked. Yeji held his arms behind his back as his face was smothered to the ground.
 
"Told you." She smirked, letting go. "Hey, Chanyeol. Where's the others?" She looked behind him.
 
He shrugged, holding his shoulder. "Beats me.."
 
Five other guys rushed down the hall. Baekhyun roared. "Ya! What gives you the right to run ahead and lock the door on us?"
 
Chanyeol jumped and ran behind Daesung, clutching his shoulders. "So? You figured it out, didn't you?"
 
"Really.. You little.."
 
Suho put a hand on his shoulder and smiled at Yeji. "What are you doing here?"
 
She blinked, not sure if she should say it aloud. "Just visiting these guys." She motioned with her head to Big Bang.
 
"We were just stopping by to bring my dad something, but wanna come with us to the park or something" Suho invited. Sehun was smiling with a knowing look over to Yeji.
 
"Sure! Let me just go talk to my dad first and I'll be right back out." She told them before walking over to the hallway.
 
Daesung placed Chanyeol in front of him. "She scared me too." They both hung their heads.
 
Yeji knocked on the door of her dad's office.
 
"Come in." 
 
She opened the door slowly and quietly. His office was pretty nice, window view and pictures of the family up.
 
Her dad was sitting down, squinting behind his glasses at the paper he was looking at. He kept switching his gaze from it to the computer screen. After a minute, he took of his glasses and settled down in his chair. "How's my daughter." he smiled at her. "Everything good at home?"
 
"Huh? Yeah." She nodded and sniffed. "I was just wondering when the next time you would be home. For dinner, I mean."
 
He sighed. "Yeji, you know I'm working hard."
 
"I know." She defended herself. "I was just wondering. Cause you know, Youngjae and Daehyun are getting too rowdy again."
 
He rubbed the back of his neck. "Mien, Yeji. I know it's been hard. Even though you have two older brothers, you're the one who's keeping everything in order." He stood up and walked over. "I'll try to get off as quickly as possible tomorrow night, but I can't promise anything."
 
She shrugged. "It's okay, appa." She reached in and gave him a hug, which he hugged back in return. They pulled away and he patted her hair. "You make sure Junhong doesn't become like your other brothers, okay?"
 
She nodded. "Arasso."
 
"That's my girl. You be good now." He walked back to his desk as she left the room. She sighed in relief, seeing as he didn't notice her interest in Big Bang's case.
 
"Yeji-ah!" D.O. Called. "Coming?"
 
she raised her hand up. "Ne!" She hurried over and said goodbye to Big Bang before leaving.
 
Daesung kept watching her. "Hyung, why is she so mean to me?"
 
Jiyong sighed in pity and patted his shoulder. "It's because you're easy to scare." He turned and walked away, leaving Daesung pouting.