Chapter 4

The Chase

 

"Nice convo there last night." Hyosung said sarcastically to Yeji.
The three girls were sitting outside for lunch where they usually sat. Outside the building and on a hill, overlooking the city underneath the shading of a tree.
"Mien, I didn't have much time. The guys came over and I had to make food for them all." She explained. "You know how much Daehyun eats. That boy is a pig." She remembered last night after she set the food on the table. Right as she let go of the plate, Daehyun grabbed his fork and dug in, knocking over his water and getting Himchan wet in the process.
"Yeah, yeah. I get it." Hyosung said dejectedly. "Jieun, we're not as important as those boys anymore." She bowed her head.
"Well, she is old enough to get a boyfriend by now." Jieun answered in all seriousness.
But Yeji objected. "What about you? Huh?"
"She already has a guy." Hyosung whispered to Yeji.
"Mwoh?"
"I do not! That's just a stereotype." Jieun corrected. "Just because my family is rich doesn't mean I'll be in an arranged marriage."
Hyosung kept eating. "Let's hope not. Unless he's hot. Then do marry him." Jieun just sighed and shook her head.
Yeji looked at her finished juice bottle. "I'll be right back. I'm getting another drink." She stood up and walked across the walkway to the vending machines next to the door.
She fished money out of her pocket and put it into the vending machine, while pressing the corresponding button to her grape juice bottle.
When it came out and hit the bottom, she bent down and got it out then turned around to go back.
"Wha-" she started, clutching her heart area, flinching back and putting a hand on the machine. "Don't sneak up on me! Geez, I could've knocked this thing over!"
"What can I say? I must get it from my dad." Suho straightened out the collar of his blazer.
Yeji lightly shoved his shoulder with a small grin. "You'd be so lucky. I'm always paranoid because of him."
Suho chuckled. "You were paranoid anyway."
"Tch. Liar. Who was the one who was scared to go in the storage area when we were little?"
"What? That old receptionist told me it was haunted!"
"You idiot. That's because we weren't supposed to go back there."
"It wasn't like it was evidence or anything.."
"Hyuuung!" A voice called and jumped on Suho. "You never took my money to buy bubble tea." He glared. "I need my bubble tea."
Suho gulped. "M-miene, Sehun. I guess I was just too hungry."
Sehun pouted and looked over, a huge smile appearing. "Hi Yeji!"
She smiled shyly. "Hey Sehun."
He pouted again and pulled on her arm. "Yeji, hyung is being mean to me."
"Really?"
"Yeah. He won't buy me bubble tea after I asked nicely five times." He jutted out his bottom lip.
"Maknae..." Suho shook his head.
"I'm sorry. Maybe he'll buy it now?" They both focused their eyes of each other and slowly shifted their gazes to Suho. 
"W-what.. You gotta be kidding.." Suho gaped. "You're ganging up on me?"
Yeji laughed. "Anyway,I gotta go. See you guys around. And tell the rest of the boys hi for me." She waved, leaving Sehun to stop smiling and glare at Suho once more, who moved back.
 
 
School was over and everybody was racing out of the school building, since it was Friday. Yeji and her brothers were in the car on the way to the station, seeing as they hadn't seen their dad, because of that case.
The siblings made their way inside where they were greeted in a little room by an older woman who was reading a book behind the desk with thick glasses. She looked at the kids, then back down. She didn't even bother asking what they needed anymore. She just gave them a smile and access to the room behind.
They made their way into the room behind, a large room that had desks and policemen everywhere. They went up a level to the detective area, where everyone there wore suits and ties.
Except for today,since today was casual Friday for the office.
"Why are we here again?" Youngjae questioned.
"Because we're here to visit." Yeji answered, tiptoeing so she could see the whole room to search for what she was looking for.
Zelo sighed. "Why do I feel like we're here for something else?" Youngjae and Daehyun agreed.
Yeji the corner of and made her way to the back.
"So then I looked him in the eye and said, 'No, I'm the real Seungri.'" Someone said with people all around him. They started looking at him in awe. But he looked through everyone, as the crowd dispersed back to their desks. "Oh! What are you doing here?"
"Can't I just stop by to say hi?" She raised her eyebrows, causing her brothers to look at each other weirdly.
Seungri stared at her for a while, then cracked a smile. "I guess. What's up?"
She sat down in his chair and started spinning. "I saw you guys on tv."
Taeyang came and gave everyone a cup of water.
"Thank you." She took it and gulped it down. "You looked cool."
He messed up her hair.
"I saw you guys too." Zelo told Seungri and Daesung with a smirk.
"I was on tv?" Daesung's eyes widened and his smile went to his ears.
He nodded enthusiastically. "Yeah! You fell quite gracefully if I do say so myself."
Daesung's smile faded into worry. "Y-you saw that?"
Daehyun entered the conversation. "How could we not see it? Seungri was jumping all over the place because of it."
Yeji shot them both looks, which they didn't seem to see. "It's okay, oppa. You couldn't see that much of it. It was only a glimpse." He sighed in defeat anyway.
Taeyang saw Yeji's motive easily. "You're here to ask questions about the case, aren't you?"
"Huh?"
"Yaa.. Don't lie."
She stood up and locked eyes with Daehyun who had his arms crossed and his eyebrows raised. "I'm not asking about the case silly." She laughed nervously. "No way." She leaned in to whisper with a straight face. "Why? You got something?"
He gave her an 'are-you-kidding-me' look.
"Was our dad there yesterday? At the scene?" She asked.
"I think so."
"Have you seen our dad anywhere?" Youngjae spoke up for the first time.
Seunghyun thought about it, but didn't make eye contact, just nodded. "I think he's in his office right now talking to Jiyong. Why?" Jiyong was seen by the others as their leader, since he was the most intimidating and out there.
"Just wondering." He pursed his lips. They knew their dad loved them, there was no doubt. But they never saw him anymore, since he became the hot shot of the department. Even if he wasn't around for dinner, Yeji still made dinner for five every night.
He just sighed, seeing as there was nothing he could do to take him away from his job.