Chapter 13

The Chase

"Gym, gym, gym.." Hyosung skipped through the halls. It was time for the last class of the day for the girls- gym. That meant games for everyone. Especially since they had a substitute teacher since their teacher was sick that day. They would always mess with them since the sub usually didn't know what went on.

And the group was just sneaky like that.

She ran into the locker room and changed her clothes into a gray tee and black shorts. She put her hair up too. She made no hesitation to go through the other door at the other end into the gym, where Jieun and Yeji were waiting for her, already in their gym clothes.

They were talking with Yeji's brothers, Jongup, Himchan, and Yongguk. They all had gym since it was sort of an extra class.

"Took you long enough." Yeji said, making room in the circle for her.

"Mien. I had to stay after class. Teacher saw me put my gum under the chair. Again." Hyosung answered, earning raised eyebrows.

"So.." Himchan coughed. "Who's the poor soul today?"

Yongguk looked around the room. "Mr. Park. You know, the one who we convinced that we never ran for warm ups."

"Oh yeah.." Daehyun remembered. "That's the day we played kickball, right?"

Himchan nodded. "That's also the day we kicked your sorry asses." He jutted his bottom lip with a smirk and shrugged shoulders.

Yeji scowled. "That's because Sehun 'fell'" she quoted. "And Jongup helped him up." Jongup scratched his neck in embarrassment.

"It won't make any difference. We'll still beat you guys." Youngjae smiled. "Where's Suho and his friends?"

Yeji sighed. "Skipping. Again. Apparently they all had this huge test in Psycology today or something."

"Just for that class!" Chanyeol made way to the middle. "How can we miss gym with a sub? It's too fun this way."

"Thought so." Jieun said. "Why don't you just go to class? You're going to have to make up the test anyway."

"We'll- I- it's-" Chanyeol stuttered, clearly stuck.

Kai argued. "At least we have an extra day!"

Zelo nodded. "I like your way of thinking, hyung." They both gave each other knowing looks and pointed at each other.

"Alright." Mr. Park, a small heavyset man, walked over with a clipboard. "I'm going to give off roll call." And he did. And everyone was there. They warmed up for a while before they broke into teams. Today, they all had agreed on playing dodgeball.

The teams were: 

Yeji, Jieun, Daehyun, Yongguk, Youngjae, Chanyeol, Baekyun, and Suho.

Hyosung, Zelo, Jongup, Himchan, Sehun, Kai, and Kyungsoo.

"Team captains to the front!" Mr. Park ordered.

Immediately, Yongguk and Himchan swaggered up there, hands in pockets and spitting on the floor, causing Jieun to cringe. It felt more like an old cliche film than anything else.

Yongguk had an intake of breath. "You think you can handle this?"

Himchan scoffed. "Please. We're ready to take you on." He leaned in. "You know, I won't forgive you for defeating me in the battle yesterday. I was caught off guard by an incoming nuke, I didn't see you there."

Jieun turned to Yeji. "What.."

"Video games." Yeji rolled her eyes.

"Then!" Yongguk raised his voice. "I will shoot you down again today, and you won't be able to do anything about it." He smirked. "How does that sound?"

"Hyung!" Zelo yelled from Himchan's side. "He also made fun of your aegyo yesterday!"

Himchan turned from Zelo to Yongguk very slowly, with a devil stare. His eyes got big and he cracked his neck. "You did what?!"

Yongguk shrugged. "This is a mental battle. Up here." He pointed to his brain. "I'm inside your head now, aren't I? That's the name of the game! It's all mentality!"

"It's on, Bang. It's on. You'll be down in a matter of seconds. You're all talk." Himchan threatened.

Yeji decided to join. "Ha! Says the guy who threw oppa's war movies into the street to be run over!"

Yongguk was speechless and expressionless. "That was you?"

Himchan fainted pride. "So? It had to be done!"

"YAH!" Baekyun yelled. "Can we play the damn game already?!"

Yongguk and Himchan shook hands, more like squeezed, exchanged glares,and walked back to their own teams in the corners to discuss strategy.

The small red dodge balls were placed in the middle of the court, and everyone was on the back line, jumping and getting ready to run and grab them.

"On your marks.." Mr. Park held up his whistle. "Get set.." And in a swift moment, blew the whistle. The boys raced to the middle line, some staying back to catch the other's throws. In the one minute, each team got three, and Sehun, Youngjae and Suho were already out.

Sehun crossed his arms. "This is bull."

Himchan threw a ball up and caught it, just to throw it at Chanyeol, who dramatically threw himself out of the way, the ball hitting the back wall, where Baekyun grabbed it and threw it at Hyosung. It grazed her arm.

She narrowed her eyes. "Byun Baekyun! Come over here!" She ran at him. Baekhyun backed up and ran away, Hyosung at his tail with a ball in her hand. She threw it and hit him over and over again.

"WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME WOMAN?!" He yelled, flinching from each throw.

"You dare hit a girl?! Huh? Do you have any morals?!" She yelled back.

"Kai.. Your shoe's untied." Kyungsoo pointed out and bent down to tie it himself.

Kai's mouth dropped. "We don't have time for this!" He said, just as a ball hit him in the stomach, and Kyungsoo in the shoulder. They sat next to Suho on the sidelines. "Nice going, 'mom'." He scoffed.

"You could've tripped." Kyungsoo reasoned.

"I can't even." Kai pinched his nose, as Himchan caught the ball thrown at him by Chaneyol.

Daehyun high fived Yeji since they had tag teamed and gotten Kai and Kyungsoo out. "That's my sister!" He yelled to the others. "Don't mess with us!"

"I'm your brother too, hyung!" Zelo came and hugged him.

"What are you doing? You're on our team!" Himchan screamed, arm outstretched at them.

Jieun walked over to the two and merely touched Zelo with a dodgeball while it was still in her hand. "Out." Himchan's brows furrowed.

Zelo walked out next to the 'out' group.

Jongup threw out Daehyun and Yeji in one blow, getting the ball to rebound off of Yeji's shoes, and hitting Daehyun in the face.

"GOSH DANGIT JONGUP!" He roared.

"Sorry, hyung!" He called back, looking at Himchan.

Himchan nodded. "You did good."

"You okay?" Yeji asked, helping him over to the sidelines.

Daehyun nodded, faking tears. "Oppa's hurt right now. If anything happens, leave me behind." He sighed falling to the ground.

Chanyeol only stared. "It's a game. You won't die." Daehyun shot daggers with his eyes.

Himchan looked and smirked at Jieun in the far corner. She was sharing looks with Hyosung and Yeji and wasn't paying attention to anything else.

Yongguk noticed Himchan's glance and made a run for it as Himchan raised his arm to throw.

"Jieun!" He yelled to her. She looked his way curiously before finally noticing the ball being hurled her way. She shut her eyes and hunched over. But nothing made contact. After a couple seconds, she dared to open her eyes and saw Yongguk's tall figure in front of her.

He chuckled. "Himchan, out." Yongguk threw the ball down and caught it again.

"Aw, man!" Himchan collapsed on the floor, clutching his head. "THIS ISN'T THE END!" He cried, looking to the lights above.

Jieun blinked. "Th-thanks."

Yongguk turned around and smilled shyly. "It's really nothing-" he was hit in the back.

Himchan doubled over. "Bang Yongguk you're out! Get your over here!" He yelled.

Yongguk couldn't really say or yell anything with Jieun next to him, so he just held a fist up. "Fighting!"

She slowly nodded. "Fighting."

Yongguk jogged off the court and sat down next to Kai.

"Sacrificing yourself, for a girl, huh?" Kai bit his lip with a raised eyebrow. "Nice." He slowly nodded with a smile.

"I-I-" 

"Hyung, just.. No." Sehun shook his head.

Only Jongup and Jieun remained on the court now.

"You gotta be kidding me." Daehyun said. "There's no way Jongup is going to throw something at Jieun."

"He's too much of a gentleman." Suho agreed.

Jongup pursed his lips and looked to Himchan. "H-hyung.. What do I do? I can't hit her!" He whispered.

Himchan clenched his teeth and strode towards the boundary line. "Jongup, if you don't throw that over there and hit her, I will personally take your face and smash it in and egg you down."

"What?" Yeji narrowed her eyes. "What the hell?"

Jongup gulped. Himchan harming him or throwing the ball at Jieun. Maybe he could toss it. Yeah. That's what he'd do. He made one more glance over at Himchan's dark face before apologizing to Jieun on the other side. "S-sorry, Jieun." He said before tossing it underhand and hitting her arm gently.

The Yongguk team shut their eyes and hit the ground, while the Himchan team jumped up and hugging each other.

"NOT SO FAST! I'M STILL IN TOO!" Baekhyun ran to the middle where Jongup was. He picked up a ball on the way and chucked it at Jongup, hitting him hard, causing him clutch his arm.

"What?!" Himchan put his hands on top of his head.

The teams exchanged feelings and the sulking team ran to Baekyun and lifted him up while jumping and cheering themselves.

"What?" Sehun looked to Mr. Park.

"It's true. Hyosung hit him after she was out, not before. Therefore, it wasn't valid." Mr. Park verified.

"NOO!" Chanyeol pretended to lie dead on the gym floor. Kai sobbed into Kyungsoo's shoulder.

"YES!" Yongguk cheered.

"THIS ISN'T THE END OF OUR ENDLESS BATTLE, BANG YONGGUK!" Himchan roared.

Thus ending gym class.. With Yongguk's team victorious.