Chapter 14

The Chase

After the dodgeball game, school ended, and Yeji took the bus to the car dealership. She took the seat next to Kyungsoo as he had to take the bus anyway since it was on his way home. It really was a nice day out. Warm and breezy, so the windows were open, which pushed Yeji's hair into Kyungsoo's face.

"Sorry." She apologized, wrapping her hair into a ponytail.

"It's fine." He coughed. "Don't take this the wrong way, but why are you going this way today? Doesn't Daehyun have a car?"

Yeji nodded. "Yeah, it's true, but I have somewhere to be today. More like I have someone to meet."

"Who?"

"Car dealer." She answered immediately.

"Why do you need a new car? It looks fine." Kyungsoo said.

Yeji puffed her cheeks. "It's not really for a new car." The bus creaked to a stop, causing everyone to jolt forward. "This is my stop." She rose up from her seat then paused. Crap. "And yours too. Come on." She grabbed Kyungsoo's arm and dragged him off the bus, thanking the driver on the way out.

The doors closed and the bus drove off. Yeji turned to Kyungsoo and bowed. "I'm sorry! I need your help today!"

He blinked. "W-why?"

Yeji decided to tell him about how she met Dongwoon at the store and had told him that her brother would be coming with her.

"So.. I'm your brother?" He pointed to himself, confused.

"Just for today! I'll treat you after as thanks." She bowed again. "Please, please?"

He shrugged. "I guess. I still owe you for lunch last week anyway."

"Thanks!" She smiled at him and pointed over on the other side of the road, showing a building with lots of cars, new and used, around it. "All right. That's where we're going. My name is Joo Yejin. And yours is Joo.." She starting thinking.

So did Kyungsoo. "Joo Kyunghyun."

"Alright that works." Yeji agreed and pushed the button for them to pass the busy roads. When the signal was clear, they basically jogged their way over.

"These are nice." Kyungsoo commented, looking at the newer cars in stock with leather seats and shiny coats. "You sure you don't need a new car?"

"Ha ha. Funny." Yeji grinned, pushing through the glass doors into the showroom. It smelled of new cars and paperwork. "He wasn't kidding. These cars are good." She mused, checking out a new convertible while remembering Junhyung's words.

"No, I got them." Dongwoon told another dealer who asked if he should help the two. He only nodded and stepped back, letting the more experienced guy handle the situation. "Yejin-ssi, you came!" He walked over smiling.

Yeji looked up. "Ah, yeah." She motioned for Kyungsoo to stand by her side. He nodded and stood next to her. "This is my brother, Kyunghyun."

"Pleasure." Dongwoon shook Kyungsoo's hand, who shook back and bowed. "Well, have you seen anything while coming in?"

She shook her head. "They're all good looking, but they're not really my dad's style."

Dongwoon nodded his head in understanding. "Yeah, I guess that's true. How about you come into my office for a bit?" He ushered the two into his lit office. Yeji cranked her head to the side nonchalantly. There it was. Doojoon's office.

Kyungsoo took a seat and took a candy to chew on off his desk.

"Uh, I'll be right back." Yeji spoke up. "I have to use the restroom."

Dongwoon pointed around the corner. "Just around the corner." 

Kyungsoo was showing her panicked signals, to which she responded with sighing and apologizing. "Then, I'll be back." She exited through the door to the showroom again.

"So, Kyunghyun-ssi," Dongwoon clicked on his mouse on the computer. Kyungsoo slowly turned around. "What kind of car is your dad looking into?"

He laughed nervously and scratched the back of his head. "You know nothing too fancy.." He trailed off.


Yeji turned the corner, but stopped outside Doojoon's office, checking her surroundings. The lights were turned off along with the computer. She scanned the area one more time before feeling behind her to find the handle. She softly turned it, making sure it was unlocked, which to her luck, it was. 

Before fully opening it, she took a big breath and let it out, letting herself calm down first. She slightly pushed the door so it made no noise, but enough so that she could fit in the crack. Right as she got inside and pushed herself against the back of the dark brown door, another employee walked past.

Yeji her lips and took a few more breaths. She tiptoed over behind the huge wooden desk. Everything was still in order like Dongwoon's office. The two chairs in front of the desk, the sliding chair positioned that someone had gotten up and left. Heck, there was still unfinished paperwork to be cleaned up.

She fell to her knees so she was hidden underneath the desk out of sight from someone outside, since the wall was made of glass. She slowly pulled out a drawer one by one, taking pictures from her phone for each. 

Next she scanned the desk to the scattered papers. Next to them were photos of his family and friends again. "Five? I thought there were four male suspects.." She counted the picture. 

Indeed, Junhyung and Dongwoon were in it, along with Kikwang and Yoseob, but there was also one other guy. He had blazing red hair and looked pretty. 

While Yeji brought herself up to look at the picture more clearly, the phone rang, causing her to fall back and hide underneath the desk. She had to steady the chair since she hit that too. "Geez!" She said under her breath.

The phone finally stopped ringing and a voicemail was taken.

"Hey, Doojoon. It's Hyunseung." A male voice was recorded. "You haven't been picking up your calls which is ticking me off, since you're the one who's supposed to pick me up from the airport, that's why I'm calling your work. But you know it's okay. I can just ask Junhyung. Anyway, I'm coming into town two days early, so you'll be seeing me tomorrow. Be ready because I have a lot of stuff to give everyone. Especially your little one. See you man." The phone beeped and it went silent.

"Hyunseung." Yeji typed the name into her phone and saved it. She checked the phone and saw he had more than one missed call. It wasn't just a couple. It was more like fifteen. But then again, it was probably mostly business. Too bad she didn't have time to check them all. Most were voicemails anyway.

Yeji finally stood up and crawled to the door, being wary of the people on the outside. But she managed to slip outside again, leaving the door to be closed quietly. She pushed herself off the door and to the nearest car to be safe. Her heart race felt like she had just run a marathon from being so nervous.

"And that's the new deal policy. Now this one is new this year and is popular among.." Dongwoon was telling Kyungsoo who wasn't really listening, but praying that Yeji would come back quickly.

The door closed and Yeji sat down in the chair next to Kyungsoo, who was sighing and crying of relief.

"Got a call." She explained. Dongwoon kept on telling them about the features of the package like she had been there the whole time.

The picture on his own desktop stopped her though. Once again, there were six men in the photo.

"Excuse me." Yeji leaned in. "Is that Yoon Doojoon?" She pointed to the screen.

"What?" He checked it out, finally covering the picture with an Internet window. "Y-yeah, you know him?"

Yeji nodded. "It's terrible, really." She looked to the ground. "I-I didn't know him well, since I just moved in across the street not too long ago, but he seemed like a really nice guy." She pitifully smiled.

Dongwoon's expression turned gloomy. "It really is. Especially since he just got a promotion. He was going to take his family on vacation too."

"How long did you know him?" She asked.

"Was it two years ago? We were hired and helped each other out a lot, since we were newbies." He recalled.

"He got a promotion after only two years?" Kyungsoo asked with wide eyes.

Dongwoon nodded. "That son-of-a-gun was good at selling as hell. He made a sale twice as fast as the manager could. But that wad probably becau he was young and good looking."

Yeji gulped "W-well, dad called earlier." she nudged Kyungsoo. "He wants us home since our aunt's coming over."

Kyungsoo nodded vigorously. 

"Thanks Dongwoon ssi." Yeji and Kyungsoo bowed. "Maybe we'll continue some other time." 

"Sounds good." He looked back to the computer. "I'll remember then."

Yeji shot a small smile and ushered Kyungsoo out of the room, herself closing the door after. "I'll take you to the bus stop." She told him.

"Oh, Hyunseung!" Dongwoon picked up a call.

"Wait." She held out an arm to stop Kyungsoo.

"I don't know, I guess I could. Why?" Dongwoon clicked his pen on his desk, then abruptly stopped. "D-Doojoon? You must not know yet." He said. "Not now. I'll tell you when you get here. Don't worry. Tomorrow at four?" He paused. "Arasso, I'll see you then." He hung up.

He called Dongwoon? Hmm. 

"Okay let's go." Yeji led Kyungsoo out of the building and back onto the sidewalk. "Thank you, thank you, thank you." She bowed again. "You seriously saved me."

"Anytime." Kyungsoo told her. "See you tomorrow?"

She nodded and waved. "Bye!" She watched as he left down the street. She walked the other way and took out her phone and called Daehyun. "Oppa, I need a ride. I accidentally took the wrong bus to Hyosung's."