Chapter 6

The Chase

 

After the siblings got home, Yeji took the keys to the car and headed straight towards Jieun's house. It didn't take long since she'd been there so much in the past.

 
She parked the car on the curb, got out and locked it. She never did get used to how big Jieun's house was. She had to have at least three acres here, and way more at their farm and vacation homes. Their lawn was of course, green with lots of plants and a paved walkway to their door.
 
Yeji reached the gates to get in and pressed a button. Jieun's butler's face popped up. "Hello? Oh, it's just you." The older man laughed.
 
"Hi Mr. Cale. Is Jieun home?"
 
"Yes she is as a matter of fact. I'll unlock the door and tell her." He hung up and the gates opened on their own. Yeji walked up to the white three story mansion and waited at the two story wooden door.
 
It opened and Jieun stood there with a smile, wearing casual clothes and a bun. "Come in." She moved back to let Yeji step onto the white marble floors. What you would first see was the 'lounge'. The front room with the two winding stairs on opposite walls. In the middle of them was a picture of Jieun and her parents over a table with flowers.
 
"Are you cooking something? It smells amazing in here." Yeji took a good sniff after she took off her shoes.
 
"It is almost dinner time." Jieun said. "And the cooks are making the most amazing meat in the world."
 
"I bet." Yeji replied, smiling and following Jieun into her room up the stairs and down the hallway. It was big with pale pink and white theme, with a huge bed in the center of her room. The girls sat down on the edge and started talking.
 
"Why do you need my dad to look at this anyway?" She held up the container that Yeji gave her.
 
Yeji looked around to make sure no was was there before she explained. "Today.. Don't get mad, but today, I went to the warehouse."
 
"Warehouse?" Jieun tapped her finger on her chin, then her eyes widened. "Warehouse as in the one where that guy was killed? Oh no. You're not pulling me into this." She gave it back.
 
Yeji's eyes pleaded. "Please, Ji? It's all out of curiosity anyway. Let's just make it an experiment or something." She shrugged. "It's not going to hurt anyone."
 
Her friend sighed beside her. "It's morally wrong. You should just let the police handle this. It's their job. They get paid for it."
 
"Jieun." Yeji looked into her eyes. "There is a killer out there."
 
"And there are probably officers looking into it."
 
"But Jieun!" Yeji pouted. "What do I gotta do?"
 
"You're not bribing me into this! That's even worse!"
 
Yeji suddenly thought of something and a smile appeared on her face. "Jieun.. If you do this for me, I won't tell your parents about when you skipped that social event last summer to hang out at my house with Hyosung and me." The truth was, she told her parents that she was sick. If she went, she would most likely be picked up by this one creey guy that had always followed her around.
 
Jieun gasped as her eyes almost popped out of her sockets. "Y-you wouldn't." Yeji raised her eyes with a knowing look. "Yeji! That's blackmail!"
 
Of course, Yeji wasn't going to do it, because if she did, Jieun would get in a whole lot of trouble, and most likely be grounded for the first time in her life. She was humans enough to keep quiet. But she played along and shrugged, heading for the door.
 
Jieun stepped in front of her, blocking her way out. "I-I-give this to me." She grabbed the container roughly from Yeji and walked downstairs herself, bitter the whole way down. Yeji sighed in relief as her plan worked.
 
They ended up downstairs a minute later. It was huge, and mostly a lab and a mini museum for Mr. Song's findings.
 
Mr. Song himself was already in a lab coat with assistants everywhere. His lab goggles were on and his hands were covered in huge rubber gloves. He was writing something down when the girls caught his eye.
 
He turned to them with a smile, putting his pencil down. "Hey, Yeji! Nice to see you."
 
"You too." She returned the smile.
 
He clapped his gloves together. "What can I do for you both?"
 
Jieun narrowed her eyes, getting a better look at his messy black hair. "Appa, is your hair.. Burnt?"
 
He thought about it, then nodded. "Yes, it is."
 
"Again?"
 
"I was busy experimenting with making a substance that gets a person sober quickly after drinking it." He rubbed the back of his neck, then quickly let go. "Crap." He ran over and washed his neck and glove.
 
Jieun closed her eyes. "I don't know how I am related to him." Her dad was nothing like her. Besides being blood related and having similar features, they were opposites. Jieun was prim and proper, her dad was was clumsy and loud. He was always trying out experiments that would usually fail. But when he found something, his experiments were very successful and made lots of money. Her mother was the reason Jieun was the way she was. She also, was proper. But she was a businesswoman and a CEO of a big company.
 
"Anyway," Mr. Song came back. "What can I do?"
 
Jieun fished the container from her pocket and handed it to him. "Can you run this through? It's for an experiment for school."
 
He looked through the clear plastic. "Sure. You guys have experiments like this at school? Wow.." He put it down next to his paperwork. "I'll see what I can do."
 
"Thanks, appa." Jieun said before dragging Yeji with her up the stairs.
 
"Thank you Mr. Song!" Yeji called. "By the way, I think something's burning!"
 
Mr. Song looked behind him and hissed at the smoke rising from one of the Bunson burners. "No, no, no. Not again." He ran over to take care of it.
 
Yeji chuckled and Jieun rolled her eyes. 
 
Yeji put on her coat before giving Jieun a big hug and running out of the house. "Thanks Jieun! I owe you one!" She blew a kiss while running backwards down the walkway.
 
Jieun just watched her and shook her head as she closed the door.