Chapter 15

The Chase

"And explain to me why you were with Kyungsoo again?" Daehyun gripped the wheel and took a right turn.

She sighed. She didn't really want to lie to Daehyun right now. "I went to the car dealership across from the bus stop with him."

"But why?"

"Just looking." She shrugged. "Where were you anyway? You were already out here!"

"Says who?" He shrieked.

"You picked me up less than five minutes after I called you. Plus I heard the engine over the phone." Yeji told him.

Daehyun shook his head. "It's nothing. I'm just looking for a job." 

Yeji nodded. Daehyun had always been like that. He was basically the 'dad' of the family since theirs was gone all the time. So Daehyun had always tried to make extra money so he could buy things for birthdays and Christmas and just to spend on things his siblings wanted. No wonder Zelo looked up to him.

"Oppa, seriously, we're fine! If you get a job, we might as well all get one too." Yeji sighed. "You're always working yourself too hard."

"Pabo." He poked her forehead with a little grin. "I do it for you. Who else would work? Youngjae?" He laughed at the thought of Youngjae in a warehouse lifting packages, then dropping them from all the weight.

"Me!" She answered. "I'll do something too! Really! I'll just go to the local cafe or something!"

"No." He said firmly. "You're a girl."

She scoffed. "You ist pig."

"You're my sister." He rephrased it. "You and Zelo stay home and do homework. Youngjae and I will figure things out."

"Youngjae? He's going to work?"

"If you could say that. It's more like dealing with problems. I think he's going to.." Daehyun stopped mid-sentence and peered over at Yeji. "I don't really know. I forgot." He coughed into his hand. "Oh would you look at that! We're home!" He celebrated and hopped out of the car.

Yeji clicked her seatbelt. "Weird guy."


Zelo opened the fridge and looked for some eggs. He pouted when there were none in there and just grabbed the milk. 

"What are you doing?!" Youngjae yelled from the stairs. He ran the rest of the way down to Zelo and snatched the milk from his hand. "We all drink from that! Don't get your germs all over it!"

Zelo blinked. "Sorry hyung." His eyes found its way up. "Noona, where are you going?"

"Just out for a jog." She answered. Yeji had changed into her running clothes and sneakers. She took the milk for herself and took a couple sips before wiping off with her sleeve. 

"Y-yah.." Youngjae's mouth was wide open. "Yeji, that's gross!"

"Huh?"

Daehyun came and took the carton from Yeji, except he chugged it, slamming it on the counter when he was done. "Oh, you're going out?"

Yeji nodded. Youngjae scrunched up his face before heading upstairs. "I live with a bunch of ANIMALS!"

"What's his deal?" Daehyun's eyes followed his brother's retreating figure.

Yeji shrugged. "Anyway, I'm going out for a jog. I'll be back in about an hour or so. Don't wait up for me. Food from last night is in the fridge by the way." She waved and ran out the door.

She her iPod and jogged to the subdivision entrance. When the coast was clear, she sprinted to the other side, another entrance to another neighborhood. This one was way nicer than her family's, but it didn't matter.

Yards were trimmer and lawns were greener, and more people were walking along the sidewalks with their dogs, friends, or just by themselves, like her. They were all older though. It was a nice change of course for Yeji, since she always ran in her own neighborhood.

She stopped at a stop sign and jogged in place, waiting for cars to pass. When one let her go, she ran and lifted a hand, thanking him.

Yeji changed the song on her iPod when she ran into someone. She apologized and kept on running.

"Hey you!" Someone yelled at her. Her music was too loud though. She couldn't hear anything else. The person got frustrated and ran behind Yeji before unplugging her earphones.

"What the-" she started when someone put their hand over . Everything was silent for a moment while Yeji sorted her options of how she could get out of the situation. She could always kick him in the leg, or bite his hand. But she chose the option where she lifted her arm to elbow him in the stomach.

Right as her elbow knocked into him, he ran backwards, releasing her. "YAH! What are you doing?!"

Yeji turned around and widened her eyes. "S-Seungri oppa? What are you doing?"

"I should be asking you that! Damn! What were you going to do?!" He stayed back from her.

"You came up behind me! I thought you were a robber!" She said. "Sorry, are you okay?"

He closed his eyes and started making motions with his hands. "Yes, I'm fine. But what. are. you. doing. here?"

"I'm just taking a jog. My neighborhood is across the street." She answered. "What about you?"

"What do you mean 'what are you doing here'? This is where the victim lived." Seungri said, finally closing the distance little by little.

Yeji raised her eyebrows. "Yoon Doojoon? Here? Wow.. He must've had a nice house." She looked around.

"Anyway, I have some news I gotta tell his wife." Seungri got out an envelope from his pocket.

"Why? Something wrong?" 

He sighed. "It's just-"

"Yejin?" A voice called behind them. 

"Yejin? Who?" Seungri whispered, looking around.

Crap. Crap. Crap. Yeji was cursing in her mind right now. Out of all the things.. It was happening right now. She turned her back to Seungri to take a closer look.

"It is you!" Junhyung was walking down the street with a woman and a baby. Dongwoon was on the other side of the woman. She presumed that it was Gayoon and Doojoon's son, Jowoo.

Yeji smiled nervously. "H-hey.."

"Yejin? Her name's- bleufhsjs." Yeji put her hand over Seungri's mouth. She gave him a look and tried to use telepathy. 'Right now, my name's Yejin. Yejin.' He just blinked at her, obviously not getting it.

"Seungri-ssi, what are you doing here?" Gayoon lifted an eyebrow, backing off a slight amount. Her face had apreset turned white and she had noticeably stiffened at the mere sight of him.

Seungri took a breath in and out. "Miss Gayoon, I have some matters to speak with you about.."

"Hey, hey. Let's do that after we go inside. Gayoon made the best cookies ever!" Dongwoon said with a smile.

Gayoon looked like she faked a smile. "Yes, let's go." She turned around, everyone following where she was going.

Yeji elbowed Seungri. "What did you do? She looks terrified!" She whispered. They had fallen behind while the three in front had decided to talk about other matters.

"I'll tell you later." He answered. "And while we're at it, who's Yejin? You lied to the family and friends?" He widened his eyes in mock surprise and knocked her head. "That's something I would do.. Nice going." 

Yeji let out a small laugh and rolled her eyes.

They arrived at a two story brick house that was surrounded by plants and landscaping. Their garage door was open to show a very nice looking black convertible. The house next to them had a fountain in their front yard for gosh sake.

Yeah, Doojoon must have made a lot of money off whatever he was doing. 

Gayoon shut the door behind everyone and set her keys on the table next to the door. The inside was really nice too. Everything looked very clean, despite having a baby crawling around everywhere. 

"Can I get you anything to drink?" She turned around and asked. 

"Water's fine." Yeji replied.

Seungri nodded. "Same."

"Then, I'll be right back. Please have a seat." She motioned them to sit on the couches and chairs next to the fireplace. 

Junhyung had taken the baby and was trying to soothe it. He had been crying ever since Junhyung had picked him up. "Jowoo.. Stop crying please." He said a little too seriously while holding the baby by his torso and holding him with outstretched arms. He looked like he was going to drop the baby anytime soon.

"Hyung.." Dongwoon scolded him. "You gotta be gentle. Give him a smile or something. Or a cute or funny face. Kids like those."

"Where did you hear that?" Junhyung eyed him.

"The Internet."

Junhyung shook his head. "That doesn't even.."

"Here you go." Gayoon handed Yeji and Seungri two glasses of water, which she was thanked for as she sat in a chair across from them, taking Jowoo away. "How can I help you again? I answered all detective Jiyong's questions already."

Seungri shifted his position and leaned forward, his hands clasped. "Miss Gayoon. I just want you to know that we've done everything we can." Yeji's eyes opened. Was it a- "But we keep coming to dead ends. I'm afraid to tell you that we can no longer investigate this particular case anymore, as we have other obligations as of today."

Gayoon put her hand to . "Y-you mean y-you're giving up on my husband's case?"

"The rest of my team sends their condolences." He bowed. "There's nothing we can do anymore. I'm terribly sorry." He raised his head. "If there is anything you need or have found, don't hesitate to tell us." He rose from his seat. "Let's go, Yejin." He said, not even looking at her.

Yeji looked from Seungri to Gayoon's fear struck face. Her eyes were becoming red, and Junhyung and Dongwoon were starting to pat her back to comfort her. Yeji felt numb. So this was what it felt like to break the news.

She bowed once more before following Seungri out the door. By then, Gayoon was already sobbing into Dongwoon's shirt. Yeji looked down and closed the door behind her.

"A cold case?" She looked up. "It's a cold case now?"

"Yeji.."

"There's nothing you guys can do? You're positive?" She raised her voice. "You're just going to give up?"

"Cases like these happen all the time. The gun was found beside him. Who knows? He might've shot himself."

Yeji shook her head. "That would be too hard of an angle to shoot yourself. Plus, the gun was found on his side. How in the hell would it have made it over there?" She remembered checking the crime scene pictures with Seunghyun. 

"Just drop it." Seungri ordered. "I don't like this situation any more than you do. We've done everything we can."

Yeji couldn't look him in the eyes. "Then, I'll see you later." She said before taking off running again.

Seungri watched her as she turned the corner and sighed. 


Yeji changed the channels once again. From the news to the reality show that she usually watched and back again. She had changed into casual jeans and a tee, since she wasn't doing anything.

Zelo changed glances from Yeji to the television multiple times. "Noona, why are we watching the home shopping channel?"

"Huh?" She flinched to look at him. "Did you say something?"

"What's for dinner?" Daehyun asked. His stomach wouldn't shut up the whole time he was home. When Yeji didn't answer, he took the phone and dialed the pizza place with a scowl.

"What's wrong?" Zelo asked her.

She shook her head. "I just.. I wonder if they knew about Hyunseung."

"Who?"

"Jiyong's team. I wonder if they knew about Hyunseung being close with Doojoon." She repeated mostly to herself. Even if they did, they had a point. The case had been open much longer than the usual case, even that of other cold cases. They really had tried their best. Even if she did tell them, they were too busy with what they had next anyway. She remembered Zelo keeping his eyes on her, so she smiled. "It's nothing. I'm just thinking."

"Oh." Zelo pursed his lips and watched the television again.

Yeji broke into thought again. What if they hadn't found anhing out, because Hyunseung was the key to the whole thing? What if? If that was true, she couldn't just sit there.

The doorbell rang then, Daehyun jumping up to get it. "Pizza's here!" He opened the door and took the pizza box.

"Yah, aren't you gonna pay me?" The delivery boy asked.

"Oh, right." Daehyun realized. "Yeji! I need to borrow money from you!"

Yeji let out a breath and got 20,000 won from her room and brought it back down and stopped in her tracks. But what if she took on the case herself? She wasn't part of the official police force. It would be like a private investigator or something. There was no way it would be a suicide.

"Yeji!" Daehyun yelled her name again. "Money."

She blinked and nodded, walking over and handing him the 20000 won before bending down and putting on her shoes.

"Eyes up here blonde." Daehyun hissed at the delivery boy.

Yeji stood up and punched his arm. "I'll be right back. Save some for me." She told him before running out the door.

"You gonna just stand there, or are you gonna pay me?" The boy asked, earning another glare from Daehyun.

Yeji paced back and forth after ringing the doorbell again. What was she supposed to say? That she had chosen to take the whole thing on herself? What if she declined? 

The door opened, and Gayoon appeared with red puffy eyes. It had only been a few hours, but it looked like she had been crying the whole time. Yeji bit her lip. Honestly, she looked like a mess.

"Yes? Oh, Yejin." She took a sharp intake of breath. "Did you forget something?"

Yeji gulped and bowed. "If I may, could I come inside?"

The next thing they knew, Gayoon was giving a coffee to Yeji who was sitting on her couch.

"Is it good?" Gayoon asked. "I'm not sure myself, it's something new."

Yeji let out a small smile to her. "It's good. Thank you."

Gayoon squirmed in her seat, obviously awkward.

"Gayoon-ssi." Yeji said. Gayoon looked up. "Any chance, you know a Jang Hyunseung?"

She hesitated for a while, but then Gayoon nodded. "He's a family friend of Doojoon's. Why?"

"Just wondering." Yeji answered.

"Is this still police business? I thought they closed the case."

"Hoestly, it still seems fishy to me. Something is off."

Gayoon widened her eyes. "Are they reopening it?"

"N-not exactly.."

"Then why are you asking?"

Yeji closed her eyes and turned to Gayoon's curious face before answering. "If I may.." She bit her lip before going on, "I was wondering if I could help you out."

There was silence for a while. "W-what?"

"I don't believe this is all there is too it besides a simple murder." She explained. "My dad is one of the head detectives of the department and I've worked with detective Jiyong's team before. In fact, my name isn't Joo Yejin."

Gayoon kept her eyes on her.

"It's Jung Yeji. My father is the head detective at the police station here in Seoul."

"B-but aren't you a high-"

"Yes, I am a high school student. But I am trained better than most kids since I have experience than most." She didn't change expressions as she stood up. "I can't stand to watch you sit here without answers with a new son. There was obviously something wrong, and there might be more killings there may not be. We don't know if this is a serial killing or just connections. There is a killer nonetheless out there and I know you want to see them be put behind bars for his actions. I won't let you down." She bowed stiffly. Her fists were closed tight like her eyes.

She then felt arms wrap around her. "Please.. Please find him." Gayoon cried.

Yeji pulled back. "If I'm helping you, you can't tell anyone about my real name or anything."

Gayoon nodded and sniffed before hugging her again.

"I'll help you out." Yeji said. "I promise." Hr eyes opened, full of determination.