FORWARD

The Chase

Seoul Warehouse. 22:35. 20 August, 2012

"You didn't honestly think you'd get to keep the money, did you?" A husky voice nervously chuckled, and held up a gun with gloved hands. He walked over to another man who was on the floor. His head was bruised along with the rest of his body. His eye was swollen shut and he could barely move his left arm, which didn't help him as he crawled back away from the gunholder.

"J-just let me go." the man on the floor pleaded.

The other man squatted down next to him as he cringed back. "Hmm, no thanks. You know, I might reconsider if you well, might tell me the password." He smiled like he was joking, which he clearly wasn't. "That's all. You give me the password, and I'll pretend that we never had this encounter. It'll be like we've never even met. How's that?"

The victim's mouth was shut. "How do I know you'll just kill my family after?"

"Good question." The man stopped smiling. "I don't know."

"What? Where's my family? What did you do?" He was outraged. If he harmed one hair on his wife's head, he'd swear..

The man got up and walked over to the old broken metal desk, which held the only source of light, besides the moon which they could barely see through the boarded windows.

The victim's breath gradually increased, as did his heartrate. His conscience attacked him with questions.

What if this was his last night? Was he going to die? But what about his family? He was the only one working. If he didn't make it, his stay at home wife would have to find work, which meant his newborn son would have to find somewhere to go during the day. That would break his wife's heart. Was there nothing he could do to keep himself alive? Nothing at all?

As if the gunholder read his mind, he spoke up. "You know, I didn't mean for this to happen." His sound got softer. "It wasn't supposed to be like this. But if they find out, how am I supposed to live?"

The victim glared. "We were friends. We grew up together. Are you honestly going to kill me over this? They'll find you and put you in jail anyway. Why not-"

"Shut up!" The man yelled then whispered again. "I'm scared. I'm sure you are too. You'd feel the same if you were in my shoes."

"I am. We both made this mistake together. We can get through this together. You don't have to do this alone." He pleaded. "I have a family to live for. You have that one girl, don't you? Didn't you hit it off with her?"

The man shook his head. "She dumped me. Apparently I was too crazy. Do I seem crazy to you?" He flashed a shaky smile, but his eyebrows were up in worry.

"Of course you're not. I know you. And the guy whose had my back all these years wouldn't kill his best friend over something stupid like money."

"Says you!" He raised his voice again. "You've got a job, a wife, and a baby boy. Not to mention a huge house and family. What do I have? Nothing. I grew up with nothing and I've still got nothing. Which means I have nothing to lose."

"You have me!" The victim argued. "Look, man, we can just forget all of this happened. I won't speak a word of this again."

"R-really?"

He nodded his head, tears threatening. This was his only chance. "I promise. No, I swear. Come on, maybe we can catch a glimpse of the game like old times, huh?"

The man thought for a while. He kept let the gun fall to the side of his body and he breathed deeply before dragging his body over to his old friend on the ground.

The victim's heart was racing by now. He wasn't completely out of it yet, and somewhere in his body, he knew that full well.

A gloved hand was held down in front of the man on the ground. He looked like he was sincerely smiling.

The man held out his hand up, trying to push himself up with a smile. "Thanks man, I knew you'd come arou-"

But he was caught short as the gun flew up straight to his chest and the trigger was pulled.

 

 

 

~Omo! I'm done with the forward! How was it? Intense?