KNIGHTS IN SHINING ARMOR…

THE TALE OF TWO SISTERS

What have you done here, idiot!” the owner of the diner shouted. She was eyeing Chae Won as if she would want to breathe fire on the spot.

“M-Madam, I’m so sorry….there w-was a…a spilled…juice and I didn’t see it and I slipped”, Chae Won explained stammering.

“Idiot! Idiot!”, the owner said as she raised her hand and slapped Chae Won who was kneeling apologetically at her feet.

Her slap reverberated inside the diner…the people were shocked at what they saw. Chae Won’s face stung from the pain of the slap she received.

“You stand up and get your things and get the hell out of here…I don’t want to see you here, imbecile!” the owner angrily said as she turned her back from Chae Won and prepared to go back to the kitchen area.

“Madam”, Chae Won pleaded as she grasped the owner’s long skirt. “Madam, please I’ll accept whatever punishment you’d give me…slap me all you want…just please let me keep my job…it’s the only source of money that I know”, Chae Won said as tears rolled from her eyes.

“I don’t care…do you think I care whether you live or die?” the owner haughtily said.

“My mother’s at the hospital and I need this job to help pay our bills…please this is the first time I committed a mistake…please just forgive me this once”, Chae Won continuously pleaded.

“Don’t tell me what to do, stupid girl”, the owner scolded as she again raised her hand to slap Chae Won.

Chae Won closed her eyes prepared to endure the hand of the owner. But the blow she was expecting did not come…she dared opened her eyes and what she saw surprised her.

“I’ve been watching all this time and I don’t like what you’re doing to her one bit! How dare you treat your employee this way?” Joong Ki said in a hard voice…it was not a shout but the menace imbued in his voice was enough to make the owner blanched.

“She’s been begging you for mercy but you won’t give her any? Why? Do you want to show off among these people here?” Joong Ki continued as he held the owner’s wrist in a tight grip.

“How dare you interfere with how I deal with my employees? She committed a mistake so she has to pay for it!” the owner defended herself while she was trying to tug her wrist from Joong Ki’s hold.

“Joong Ki, Joong Ki”, Hye Kyo called worriedly to her brother…she had never seen Joong Ki that angry before.

“Please, just stay there, noona, I just want to deal with bullies like this one here so she’ll know that she doesn’t have the right to hurt anyone”, Joong Ki said seriously as he looked at her elder sister.

“You…filthy old woman…I don’t care if this young lady here dropped what I ordered to the floor…she slipped and I saw it…it wasn’t her intention but if you ever raised your voice again against her I’ll shut your mouth for you and break every bone of your bloody hands”, Joong Ki said his anger reflected in his eyes as he threw the owner’s hand.

“Stand up”, Joong Ki told Chae Won as he looked down on her.

“S-Sir”, Chae Won said nervously not expecting the young man’s interference when no one dared stood up for her amidst all the people there.

“I said stand up”, Joong Ki said as he impatiently pulled Chae Won to her feet. The way he pulled her was a bit firm but his fingers where gentle on her hand.

“S-Sir, w-where are you taking me?” Chae Won asked worriedly as Joong Ki pulled her towards the door of the diner.

Joong Ki continued to hold her hand as he was pulling her away from the diner. Chae Won tugged her hand but Joong Ki continued to hold on to her. They walked some more until they reached a nearby area with a small bench.

“S-Sir, I thank you for standing up for me…but…you didn’t have to go that far as to threaten the madam”, Chae Won said as she tugged her hand from Joong Ki’s. She was so embarrassed that she could not look at him.

“Joong Ki…it’s Song Joong Ki and I’ll prefer that you call me by my given name than prattling about calling me ‘sir’ as though I’m as old as your father”, Joong Ki said looking intently at her.

“J-Joong K-Ki, I thank you for what you’ve done but you didn’t have to go that far”, Chae Won said her voice broke from her tears.

Joong Ki did not say a word; he brought out a clean handkerchief from his pocket and raised Chae Won’s face. He gently wiped the tears coursing through her face. He then took off the bits of spaghetti that clung to her hair.

“The stains from the spaghetti and the iced tea would be difficult to remove from this uniform but don’t worry you won’t wear this uniform for long”, Joong Ki said as he continued to wipe her face.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Chae Won asked as she gently held Joong Ki’s wrist to stop him from wiping her face.

“You’ll not go back there, huh? You’ll not let anyone abuse you that way again”, Joong Ki said.

“You don’t understand, Joong Ki, my mother’s at the hospital…my landlady will throw me and my younger sister with our sick mother if I could not pay her…I need the job to…” Chae Won was not able to finish her words because Joong Ki held her face in his hands.

“I’ll help you…don’t worry about anything…I’ll help you”, Joong Ki said in a gentle voice.

“Why?” Chae Won asked.

“What do you mean by why?” Joong asked back.

“I don’t know you…it’s the first time I saw you…why are you so willing to help me? Why did you defend me when no one inside that diner did?” Chae Won asked confusion marred her voice.

“I don’t know…you might be playing me false or you might be telling me the truth but all I know is that I would want to help you…I’ll help you”, Joong Ki said his motives were also not that clear on his mind all he knew was he would have killed to save Chae Won from anyone who would dare hurt her.

“Thank you very much, Joong Ki”, Chae Won said as a sad smile graced her elegantly beautiful face.

“Joong Ki, Joong Ki”, Hye Kyo called as she came near the two. She went out of the car.  

“Noona, I’m sorry for my outburst a while ago…but I couldn’t let that old woman hurt Chae Won that way”, Joong Ki explained to her sister.

“I understand your actions, Joong Ki, I’m glad that you stood up for her when no one in that miserable place did”, Hye Kyo said.

“Thank you, ma’am”, Chae Won said as he bowed politely.

“Song Hye Kyo…I’m Joong Ki’s elder sister…you may call me eonni”, Hye Kyo said her kindness radiated from her beautiful face.

“Thank you, eonni”, Chae Won said.

“I guess we better take you to your home”, Hye Kyo said as she entered the passenger’s seat and tossed the car keys to Joong Ki.

“Chae Won, get in”, Joong Ki said as he opened the backseat for Chae Won.

“How did you know my name?” Chae Won asked.

Joong Ki just smiled and motioned at the name tag on her uniform. He then closed the door of the backseat after he saw Chae Won settled on her seat comfortably.

“Where do you live?” Hye Kyo asked.

“At the outskirts, eonni. Yet…I’m just wondering how about my things from the diner?” Chae Won asked.

“Here”, Hye Kyo handed Chae Won her worn out bag.

“Thank you, eonni”, Chae Won said.

“Okay…we’ll bring you to your house then”, Hye Kyo said.

“E-Eonni, can we just go to the hospital?” Chae Won asked.

“Hospital? Ah…I remember that your mother’s sick”, Hye Kyo commented.

“Yes, eonni”, Chae Won replied.

“Let’s go to the hospital then”, Joong Ki agreed while Hye Kyo nodded her agreement.

They drove towards the direction of the hospital…far from the diner…far from the fire breathing owner whose hands were more than willing to abuse those who were weaker than her.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Yonghwa was wandering in the city…he was looking at the sights of the market area when a young boy bumped at him.

“Arrg…you!” Yonghwa irritatingly muttered as he continued to walk while the young boy walked as though nothing happened.

Yonghwa was suddenly surprised when a young girl ran up to the boy and pulled him violently.

“You dirty scumbag! How dare you steal someone’s wallet!” the young girl shouted as he pummeled the boy and tried to yank something from his hand.

“I didn’t steal anything will you let go of me!” the boy shouted as he was trying to yank himself from the young girl who was clinging to him like a terrier.

“Hey! What’s going on here?” Yonghwa decided to interfere.

“This rascal here, sir, tried to rob you of your wallet. It’s his modus to bump into people and slip through their pockets and steal their wallets.

“That’s not true, sir!” the boy defended himself.

Yonghwa then decided to feel for his pocket and realized that what the young girl was saying.

“Why? This rascal you really stole my wallet!” Yonghwa said as he snatched the boy at the collar of his shirt and tried to shake him.

“Here’s your wallet, sir”, the young girl said.

“Thank you”, Yonghwa said to the young girl before he faced the police officers who were coming their way…someone from the crowd called the police officers.

“Excuse me, what happened here?” one of the police officers asked while the other one took the young boy from Yonghwa’s grasp.

“This ruffian tried to steal my wallet luckily this young girl here helped me retrieved it”, Yonghwa said.

“Okay, we’ll take it from here…I heard from someone in the crowd that this person is responsible for many cases of thievery in this area”, one of the officers who was holding the boy said.

“Thank you, officer, I guess I’ll be going now”, Yonghwa said.

“Come to the office and file your case against this thief so that we’ll keep him behind bars for a long time”, the officer said as they carted off the boy who was still arguing saying that he was innocent of the crime he was accused.

“Thank you again for helping me”, Yonghwa said as he looked at the young girl who helped him.

“It’s okay, sir”, the young girl looked at him and he beheld an angelic face that he wondered if he was talking to someone who came from the heavens.

“I-I…thank you again. By the way, are you from this area?” Yonghwa asked as they started to walk and the other people started to disperse after the street scene ended.

“Nope…but I knew his modus. I guess you aren’t from here”, the young girl said.

“No…I’m not. I’m from Seoul but my best friend has a house in this area and I’m with him for this weekend”, Yonghwa replied.

“Sir, I guess I’ll be on my way now I still need to go to the grocery where I’m working. My employer will throw a fit if I’m late. Nice meeting you”, the young girl said before she bowed.

“I’m Jung Yonghwa and you are?” Yonghwa called out at the young girl.

“Shinhye…Park Shinhye”, Shinhye faced him and she walked backwards with a smile for him before she turned her back and went on her way.

“Shinhye...a very beautiful name for such a beautiful young girl”, Yonghwa said and he found himself smiling as he went on his way.

Shinhye arrived at the grocery…as she entered the door the owner shouted at her.

“You’re already late for your job! Where have you been?” the owner angrily shouted.

“I’m sorry, sir, there was a commotion on the street and I found it difficult to find my way around the crowd”, Shinhye replied apologetically as she immediately grabbed her apron and put it on.

“Commotion? Huh! The truth is you are a lazy young girl who doesn’t even take her job seriously”, the owner said scornfully.

Shinhye tried to control herself from replying to the accusation of the owner…she knew that she needed the job to help her elder sister earn for the hospital bills, the payment of their apartment and for their basic needs.

“The delivery came a while ago…see those sacks of flour and sugar over there you have to carry them at the store room and start repacking them per kilograms”, the owner said as he motioned the bulks of flour and sugar at the corner in front of the store.

“Oh…seriously…this man’s a beast”, Shinhye murmured to herself as she went to the side assessing how she could possibly carry the sacks almost heavier than herself.

She was busy looking at the sacks when the chime at the door sounded…someone entered the grocery.

“Good morning, sir”, the owner greeted politely.

“Good morning”, Yonghwa greeted back as he started for the corner where the shopping baskets were stacked.

Shinhye who was holding one side of the sack up nearly dropped it when she heard the familiar voice…it was the man whom she helped a while ago at the street.

“Shinhye, please assist this young man around the grocery”, the owner amiably said.

Shinhye nearly rolled her eyes in exasperation…it was always like that… the old beast who called himself the owner of the grocery treated her nicely when there were grocers around to maintain both his and his grocery’s image.

“Sir, what would you want to buy?” Shinhye politely asked with a shy smile as she let go of the sack of flour she was about to drag or worst to carry to the store room.

“So…this is where you are working?” Yonghwa said instead as he surveyed the entirety of the grocery.

“Yes…unfortunately”, Shinhye replied with her voice a bit lower as to prevent the owner from hearing her.

“What are those?” Yonghwa asked as he noticed the bulks of sacks.

“Flour and sugar which I’m going to carry like a mule at the store room”, Shinhye replied as she motioned for the sacks with dismay.

“I could help you carry them at the store room”, Yonghwa suggested nonchalantly.

“What? You can’t possibly do that. You’re a customer here…my boss will surely give me hell if he found out that you helped me”, Shinhye replied.

“It’s okay…it looks like he is busy reading the paper…I bet he’s already asleep behind that paper he pretends to be reading”, Yonghwa bantered back.

Shinhye saw that the breathing of the owner seemed that of a sleeping person…she shook her head in dismay and turned to Yonghwa.

“Okay, I’ll accept your help”, Shinhye said.

Yonghwa just nodded and flashed him with a boyish grin as he grabbed one of the sacks and hoisted it over his shoulders. He went back after that and carried another and another until all the sacks were already inside the store room.

“Why did you help me?” Shinhye asked.

“Because you helped me a while ago at the street so I decided to follow you where you’re working and to see how you are”, Yonghwa replied as he was wiping sweat from his face and arms with his handkerchief.

“Ah….” Shinhye said as she nodded with understanding although she felt a bit dismayed for she was expecting that he followed her because he thought she was beautiful.

“Anyway you seem to be young for this kind of work”, Yonghwa commented.

“Yeah…I’m just first year high school but I need to work like a mule to help my elder sister who is slaving herself at a local diner. Our mother’s sick and our landlady will throw us if we couldn’t pay our rent and we also need to work for our basic needs…I mean to put food on the table and gas to heat water especially this coming winter”, Shinhye explained.

“How much do you owe your landlady?” Yonghwa asked curiously.

“Two months’ rent”, Shinhye replied.

“Ah…how about the hospital bill?” Yonghwa asked.

“I’m not quite sure about the hospital bill and since I and my elder sister are not earning that much considering we’re part time workers…it will be really hard for us to pay everything but we’re willing to try”, Shinhye replied.

“I’d be going then…see you around…its nice meeting you”, Yonghwa said as he stood up and took his shopping basket at the counter.

“Excuse me”, Yonghwa woke the owner who was almost snoring on his seat.

“Yes…okay”, the owner started to punch in the prices and told Yonghwa how much his grocery items worth. He handed the owner his card which the owner swiped.

“Thank you very much, sir, come again”, the owner said as he handed Yonghwa his purchases.

Yonghwa just smiled as he secretly winked at Shinhye when he passed her before he went out of the grocery’s door. Shinhye just smiled to herself.

“Shinhye, are you done carting the sacks to the store room?” the owner asked.

“Yes, sir”, Shinhye replied.

“That was fast…it took you only about an hour to do it”, the owner said as he sounded amazed for the first time.  

Shinhye just shrugged her shoulders and as she turned her back to enter the store room, she felt thankful that he met someone as helpful and of course as handsome as Yonghwa.

That night at the hospital, the two sisters were talking to each other about the young men who helped them.

“Chae Won, he was the most amazing and the handsomest guy I ever met in my entire life. He had these broad shoulders and he carried the sacks with ease and he even joked with me and he wasn’t concern about his clothes going all dirty when he helped me”, Shinhye said as she was smiling giddily…her eyes twinkling happily.

“Really? That’s good did he say what his name is?” Chae Won asked smiling at her younger sister.

“Yonghwa…Jung Yonghwa…he isn’t from here…he’s from Seoul and I guess he’s older than me by five years”, Shinhye replied.

“You like him, Shinhye?” Chae Won asked.

“Yeah…I like him a lot and someday when we’re already better…when we already have enough money we can go to Seoul and I’ll meet him again and we’re gonna get married and have beautiful children”, Shinhye said in a hush voice although it did not bellied the excitement she was feeling and the glowing expression on her face.

“I hope you’ll meet him again, Shinhye, and I’ll be the happiest elder sister in the world as long as I’ll see you happily settled with someone like that young man who’ll care for you and respect you”, Chae Won said as she gently held her younger sister’s cheek.

“How about you, Chae Won, how’s your work at the diner?” Shinhye asked.

“I lost that job already”, Chae Won said her tiredness plain in her voice.

“W-What? H-How?” Shinhye said surprised.

“I slipped on a spilled juice and the foods that I would have brought at the customer fell on me and around the floor where I was making it looked like a total mess. The owner angrily slapped me and insulted me until a young man defended me…he…” Chae Won was not able to finish her words because Shinhye pressed her left hand gently to interrupt her.

“You mention a man defended you from that fire breathing dragon?” Shinhye asked.

“Yeah…he stood up for me when no one did. His outburst frightened the madam but still the madam dismissed me from my job”, Chae Won said with a deep sigh.

“It’s okay…just look for another diner where you can work. That madam there is not a human being she’s a beast especially for humiliating and slapping you in front of everyone. Anyway, tell me something about your young man”, Shinhye said her interest at its peak.

“Song Joong Ki is not my young man but he is handsome and he looks rich…he and his elder sister are from Seoul. I didn’t ask anymore…he said he’d helped me out with the hospital bill and paying the delayed rent of our apartment”, Chae Won said looking at the ceiling.

“Don’t you like him? I think he likes you a lot”, Shinhye commented.

“I don’t know…he is a prince and I’m far from being a princess”, Chae Won replied as she yawned showing how tired she really was.

“But, Chae Won, if he’s a prince…you certainly look like a princess. Many at the school commented on your classically imperial beauty”, Shinhye said trying to uplift Chae Won.

“Thank you little sister. Thank you for uplifting my spirits…you’re always too good on my pride. You know what you’re beautiful too. You have the face of an angel…a face a person can stare at and never got tired of”, Chae Won also praised her sister.

“You don’t need to remind me, Chae Won, I already know that”, Shinhye said with a smile and the two sisters laughed softly as not to awaken their sleeping mother. They then settled for the night at the sofa at the corner of the room.


Hello everyone...thank you for reading, subscribing and commenting on my story. I'm inspired by your support. Again, thank you very much love you all....