THE HAUNTING STARTS…

THE TALE OF TWO SISTERS

After Joong Ki left, Chae Won sat on her swivel chair and looked at the strawberry cake and the coffee which she was too afraid to touch as though they would vanish anytime.

“What am I to do, Joong Ki? I’m afraid to love again…I’m afraid to trust again…” Chae Won said as she closed her eyes and inhaled the scent of roses and lavender around her office. She leaned her body at the back of the swivel chair when her cellphone rang.

“Hello?” Chae Won answered.

“Hi, darling”, it was Joong Ki.

“Why did you call?” Chae Won asked.

“I just wanna tell you that I arrived safe at work. I love you…take care of yourself”, Joong Ki said as he ended the call before Chae Won could even say anything.

Chae Won put her cellphone at the table and started to eat the strawberry cake and sipped the coffee. She realized the strawberry cake was sweet but Joong Ki’s kisses a while ago were much sweeter.

Shinhye was at the canteen of the school…she was eating the strawberry yougurt given to her by Yonghwa when Ga In approached her.

“Teacher Shinhye”, Ga In called cutely.

“Hi, dearest, come seat beside me”, Shinhye invited Ga In.

“Wow! That’s strawberry yougurt!” Ga In happily said as she eyed Shinhye’s yougurt with excitement.

“Is strawberry yougurt also your favorite?” Shinhye asked with a gentle smile.

“Yes, teacher, I love it so much!” Ga In replied gleefully.

“Here, have some”, Shinhye said as she scooped some and fed it to Ga In. They continued to share until they finished the two cups. Shinhye then wiped Ga In’s lips with her handkerchief.

“Thank you, teacher”, Ga In said with a smile that reflected the way Yonghwa smiled and Shinhye’s heart beat faster.

“You’re welcome, dearest”, Shinhye said.

“Teacher, I wish that you’re my mom…I wish that you’re with me every night to read me bed times stories with dad before I go to sleep”, Ga In said with a child’s honesty.

“Why? Didn’t your mom read bed time stories to you?” Shinhye asked wondering for the first time what kind of mother and wife Seo Hyun had been.

“Nope. She was always out at night and when she came home she’d just quarrel with dad. She never paid attention to me. She said I was a mistake”, Ga In said as tears started to mist her cute eyes.

“Hush, dearest, don’t think about it anymore, okay? What matters is you’re with a good dad and besides I’ll always be here maybe not at your house but here in school”, Shinhye said as she wiped the child’s tears.

“Teacher, marry my dad when he asks you, so that I’ll have a new mom soon”, Ga In said before she happily scampered towards her other classmates.

“How I wish, Ga In, that I’m your mother and I’m your father’s wife”, Shinhye told herself as she watched Ga In waved at her before she laughed with her classmates while going to the classroom.

From a distance, a figure was looking at Shinhye…hatred plain in her eyes as she just had watched Shinhye with Ga In. She also knew that Yonghwa was planning to start a new life with Shinhye and was doing everything to win Shinhye’s acceptance. It angered her more…seeing as Shinhye, the Angel of Death, could live a new life…

“Shinhye, just wait there…hang on…I’ll take my revenge to you, too, for what you did to me. You killed me? So that’s where you’re wrong because I’m very much alive and I’ll have your head for what you did to me!” the woman murmured to herself as she left the school premises.

Shinhye felt her heart beat nervously…as though someone was watching at her and stabbing her at the back. She turned around to look but she saw nothing.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The next few weeks, became a riot of emotions for the two sisters who were insistently pursued by the Joong Ki and Yonghwa. That morning, while they were having breakfast by the poolside, they discussed the two.

“I don’t think I can resist Yonghwa anymore”, Shinhye confided to Chae Won.

“What?” Chae Won asked surprised.

“I love him so much and honestly, I want to be a mother to Ga In. I love them…I want to live my life with them. You know, raise a family…give Ga In little brothers and sisters…forget the past”, Shinhye said smiling happily as though picturing a perfect life with Yonghwa and Ga In.

“Shinhye…” Chae Won looked intently at ther sister.

“I know…I know…believe me…I never thought that I’ll come to this point when I’ll want something so badly that I ache in my heart to fulfill it. I know that because of our past…my past…I have to avoid the idea of a having a family of my own but fate brought Yonghwa and Ga In to me…and I’m so happy these past few weeks to think of the past”, Shinhye lengthily said as she tears started to broke from her eyes while she smiled beautifully.

“Then forget the past, dearest sister, you deserve to be happy…you deserve to be loved by someone as good as Yonghwa and his child. Take the chance, Shinhye, I’ll support you whatever happens”, Chae Won said with a smile and happy tears falling from her eyes.

“What if Yonghwa found out about me and Aunt Si Yeon?” Shinhye asked worry passed in her eyes.

“Yonghwa loves you and love makes people understanding. You are a victim by your Aunt Si Yeon as much as Yonghwa’s father was a victim of her cruelty. Si Yeon killed your father, too, remember that”, Chae Won replied with assurance.

“How about you and Joong Ki?” Shinhye asked.

“What about us?” Chae Won asked back.

“You said I deserve a second chance but if there was anyone who deserved another chance just like me…it’s you, too”, Shinhye said.

“I don’t know about me and Joong Ki. We go out…we are happy together…he’s attentive and caring and he always tells me how much he loves me but I’m not sure of myself. I can’t bring myself to love him the way he deserves to be loved”, Chae Won replied.

“Chae Won, Il Woo’s already dead…he can’t come back to harm you anymore. Take a chance with Joong Ki. I guess we both deserve a chance…a second chance”, Shinhye said as she. The two held each others’ hands in a sisterly assurance that things might go for the better.

“Thank you…we better be going now or we’ll be late”, Chae Won said as she and Shinhye stood and went inside to prepare to go to work for that day.

“Anyway, are you going to the charity event sponsored by your client at the bank?” Shinhye asked as they were at the garage.

“Yeah…I receive two invitations. Wanna come with me tonight?” Chae Won asked as she opened the driver’s seat of her Porsche.

“Nope…Yonghwa and Ga In invited me at the amusement park tonight”, Shinhye said with a giddy smile.

“Okay…I’ll just ask if there’s someone available to accompany me tonight”, Chae Won said as she waved goodbye to Shinhye and drove her Porsche out of the ChaeShin Palace.

Chae Won arrived at the bank at 8:30 am that morning wearing her usual black ensemble except for that morning she decided to leave her long, wavy hair flowing around her.

“Good morning, madam”, Soo Hyun greeted her.

“Good morning, Soo Hyun”, Chae Won greeted back.

“He’s here again, madam”, Soo Hyun said with a fan girl smile.

“I know”, Chae Won replied with a smile as she went to her office.

She opened her office and saw red roses and daisies at the vases…the same strawberry cake and iced Americano on her desk and Joong Ki standing at the window looking at the view of Seoul.

“Hi”, Chae Won greeted him.

“Hi, darling”, Joong Ki said his familiar heartmelting smile greeted her.

“You’ve been doing this for the past few weeks now”, Chae Won commented.

“I can do this for a lifetime and not get tired”, Joong Ki replied as he moved to the table and scooped strawberry cake.

“Open your mouth, darling”, Joong Ki said as he approached her.

Chae Won gently opened and ate the cake. She let the strawberry icing melt in .

“This is really heavenly. It’s good that I don’t fatten up or I’ll get as big as an elephant without the number of cakes you bring me these last few weeks”, Chae Won said as she savor the taste of the treat in .

Joong Ki smiled at her as he cupped her face and kissed her…tasting the strawberry from her lips.

“You taste like strawberry and heaven, darling. I’ll be going now”, Joong Ki said as he walked towards the door.

“Joong Ki, I’m sorry”, Chae Won said.

“For what, darling?” Joong Ki asked.

“I heard that the man who killed your sister escaped prison two weeks ago”, Chae Won said.

“He’s already dead. He killed himself…his body was found in a secluded area in Busan”, Joong Ki replied.

“So justice had been served?” Chae Won asked.

“He served justice to himself”, Joong Ki replied.

“Would you like to go with me at the charity ball tonight?” Chae Won said as she bit her lower lip as though she was embarrassed.

“Really? Is that your means of asking me to a date, Chae Won?” Joong Ki teasingly said.

“I…I…would have brought Shinhye with me but she would be with Yonghwa and Ga In tonight at the amusement park. My assistant Soo Hyun declined because she said that she wants to rest early. But if you don’t want to go…I can just go by myself it would be okay I guess”, Chae Won said.

Joong Ki chuckled softly seeing the usually composed ang aloof Chae Won blushing and grasping for words to convince him.

“I’ll go with you. Am I required to wear a dinner suit?” Joong Ki asked.

“Yes…sort of”, Chae Won replied.

“Are we required to dance?” Joong Ki asked.

“We aren’t of course if you don’t want to”, Chae Won replied trying not to smile.

“Okay...”, Joong Ki said as he winked at her and went out of the door.

Chae Won let out the breath she didn’t know she was holding up. She was so nervous and shy to invite him…she was so cautious to take the first step closer to him but at last she did it and she felt a little lighter for what she did.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Shinhye was checking her pupils’ activity books when someone came at her back and gently covered her eyes.

“Guess who?” the man said which brought a smile to Shinhye’s lips.

“Yonghwa…” Shinhye replied.

“Hi, baby”, Yonghwa said.

Shinhye did not correct the endearment. Her heart skipped a bit at his calling her his baby.

“Why are you here?” Shinhye asked.

“Just came here to bring Ga In and to bring you these”, Yonghwa said as he brought two cups of strawberry yougurt and three long stemmed white roses.

“Wow…these are nice. Thank you, Yonghwa”, Shinhye said as she smelled the roses.

“Everything to make you happy, Shinhye”, Yonghwa replied.

“Yonghwa, you’re spoiling me with these treats. Aren’t you afraid that I might get used to this?” Shinhye asked.

“It’s the general idea, baby, to get you used to it that you’ll decided to take me into your life so that I can love you and care for you for the rest of our lives”, Yonghwa emotionally said.

“Thank you…I don’t know if I deserve your love”, Shinhye said.

“You deserve love and more, baby”, Yonghwa said.

“Yonghwa, I have to tell you something…I have to tell you a secret that I should’ve told you a long time ago”, Shinhye said.

“What is it?” Yonghwa asked worriedly.

“Yonghwa…I…I…” Shinhye was not able to start her confession because Yonghwa’s phone rang.

“Excuse me, gotta answer this”, Yonghwa said.

“O…Okay”, Shinhye said with a nod.

“Yes, you’re at the office already? Okay, I’ll be there in a jiffy”, Yonghwa said as he ended the call.

“Baby, it’s Joong Ki, we need to file reports on the drug related cases raid we led in the last two weeks. I better be going now so I can finish early and we can go to the amusement park tonight. Anyway, what is it that you want to say?” Yonghwa said.

“I…It’s nothing…I already forgot it. Go now or you’ll be late”, Shinhye said.

“Okay…I’ll pick you up at ChaeShin Palace at 6:00 this evening. I love you”, Yonghwa said as he surprisingly gave her a peck on her lips before he left even before she could say something for what he did.

Shinhye touched her lips giddily…promising to herself that that night she would give herself a chance to be with Yonghwa.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

That night, Yonghwa came to pick up Shinhye. Shinhye wore a simple skinny jeans which she paired with baby pink t-shirt and colored pumps. She just ponytailed her long wavy hair, applied light make-up and wore her pearl earrings and silver watch as accessories.

“Hi, teacher Shinhye”, Ga In who wore a floral printed summer dress and sandals said as she ran to embrace Shinhye.

“Hi, dearest”, Shinhye said.

“You look beautiful, Shinhye”, Yonghwa who wore white shirt topped with red stripped jacket, jeans and rubber shoes said.

“Thank you…you look quite good, too, like a flower boy next door”, Shinhye said with a giggle.

“Let’s go…” Yonghwa said as she held Ga In’s right hand and Shinhye held Ga In’s left hand. They were like a family.

“I wanna ride in front, dad”, Ga In said.

“You may sit beside me in front, dearest”, Shinhye said as they entered the passenger seat and Yonghwa entered the driver’s seat.

They drove towards the direction of the amusement park. At the distance, a black BMW followed them. It was driven by the woman who angrily watched Shinhye at the school a while back.

“You think you can be happy now, Shinhye? After what you did to me…do you think you can be happy now? I hate you! I hate you! Angel of death, you’ll pay”, she said as she followed at a safer distance Yonghwa’s silver Jaguar.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Chae Won was still preparing herself for the charity event. She wore a black halter gown with a princess skirt. She wore her hair down…she also decided not to wear a veiled hat. She paired her gown with colored stilletos, sapphire drop earrings, her wedding band and a gold watch. She applied like make up and sprayed her floral vanilla perfume.

“Madam, Detective Song’s here”, the butler said.

“I’ll be down shortly”, Chae Won said.

She went down and saw Joong Ki who was so handsome in his black evening suit and shiny black loafers.

“You look so beautiful…you’re perfection”, Joong Ki said.

“Thank you. I should have been more if not for the scar”, Chae Won consciously said.

“No…the scar adds character to you…it adds mystery to you”, Joong Ki said.

“You look handsome, too”, Chae Won said.

“Thank you. Let’s go, princess”, Joong Ki said as they went out of the main door of the mansion to Joong Ki’s red Volvo.

They arrived at the venue after 20 minutes. The event was held at one of Seoul’s primier hotels.

“They really outdone themselves with the preparation”, Chae Won said.

“Yeah…I should hold the same ball for the success of my family’s chain of malls”, Joong Ki commented.

“That would be a good idea”, Chae Won agreed as they started to walk at the entrance of the venue.

“I’ll let you host the event for me”, Joong Ki said.

Chae Won just smiled as she showed the invitation at the usher in front of the door. As they entered the venue, they did not notice a woman wearing a dark colored jacket standing outside the venue…

“You think you can be happy now, Moon Chae Won? After you killed my brother you still have the guts to date another man! I’ll make you pay with your life…I swear…I swear!” the woman in the dark colored jacket said revulsion plain in her face and flashed in her eyes.

“Is everything ready?” the man in dinner jacket asked the woman in dark colored jacket.

“Yes, oppa, everything’s at the ready. She’ll surely breakdown once she saw you”, the woman replied.

“I’ll make her more than breakdown…I’ll terrify her she would want to leave the party”, the man said.

“Be careful, oppa”, the woman said.

The man just nodded as he walked towards the back entrance reserved for waiters and servants and seeing the door a jar…he entered.


Hi everyone! Thank you for all supporting my fanfic...for subscribing and reading and leaving wonderful comments. Thank you...thank you very much! I hope you'll continue to support my story and please...please...feel free to leave your wonderful comments. Love you all so much!