THE BATTERED WIFE…

THE TALE OF TWO SISTERS

Shinhye went to see Dr. Park Min Young that afternoon.

“Hi, is Dr. Park inside?” Shinhye asked the secretary at the front desk.

“Yes, Ms. Shinhye, she’s been waiting for you”, the secretary said as she pressed the intercom. “Dr. Park, Ms. Shinhye’s here for her consultation”.

“Okay, send her in”, Min Young replied.

“Thank you”, Shinhye told the secretary with a smile as she entered the door to Min Young’s consultation office.

“Hi, how are you?” Min Young politely but friendlily asked.

“Not that well”, Shinhye replied as she sat on one of the chairs.

“Tell me something about what’s bothering you”, Min Young said as she motioned for Shinhye to lay down on one of the reclined bed at the corner of the room. She turned off the rest of the lights except for the dimly lit lampshade near the bed.

Shinhye started narrating her dreams to Min Young as well as her encounter with Yonghwa. Min Young just listened to her pour out everything.

“Thank you so much, Min Young”, Shinhye said after their session.

“It’s my pleasure to help you, Shinhye”, Min Young replied.

“How’s your sister?” Min Young asked.

“She seems fine…still distant to the world but fine”, Shinhye replied as she gave Min Young a gentle smile before she bowed shallowly and left the room.

Chae Won left her office at the bank at exactly 6:00 pm. She already told the housekeeper to prepare a special dinner for her and Shinhye. She dialed Shinhye’s phone.

“Hello, dearest, are you home already?” Chae Won asked.

“Yeah, I just came from Min Young’s office. I smell the special dishes they are cooking at the kitchen”, Shinhye commented.

“Really? I’ll be there in 10 minutes”, Chae Won said excitement plain in her voice.

“Okay, wait for you here. Bye”, Shinhye said before she cut the call.

Chae Won’s car entered the driveway of ChaeShin Palace. She went out of her Black Porshe and entered the main door of the mansion.

“Good evening, Ms. Chae Won”, the butler politely greeted her.

“Good evening”, Chae Won said as she continued to the kitchen.

“Hi, Chae Won”, Shinhye greeted her from what she was doing at the dining table.

“Hi, looks like everything’s ready”, Chae Won commented as she started to open the red wine.

“Aren’t you going to change your dress first?” Shinhye asked.

“Why don’t we just eat first? I’m already starving”, Chae Won replied.

Shinhye just nodded. She knew that she wanted her sister to change into a more lively color but from her elder sister’s answer…she knew that Chae Won had no intentions of changing into another. After the death of Chae Won’s husband, she never wore any color of clothing except for black…she was perpetually in black.

“How’s school?” Chae Won asked while she was munching on her salad.

“Fine…I’ve got a new student from New York”, Shinhye replied.

“From New York?” Chae Won surprisingly said.

“She’s Yonghwa’s daughter”, Shinhye replied looking at her sister’s reaction.

“Yonghwa’s back in South Korea?” Chae Won asked.

“It seems so… and I think you also know whom he came home with aside from his daughter”, Shinhye commented.

Chae Won just shrugged her shoulders as though uninterested. She then speared a cold ham from her salad plate and popped it in .

“Chae Won, I guess Detective Jung Yonghwa also came with Detective Song Joong Ki”, Shinhye told her sister assessing her reaction.

“Shinhye, please…”Chae Won said…trying to dissuade her sister from discussing Song Joong Ki.

“Chae Won, you can’t run from him forever and you know that”, Shinhye said.

“I won’t marry again ever, Shinhye. So how’s Yonghwa?” Chae Won changed the subject.

“He’s fine but he frightens me”, Shinhye replied.

“In what way? You used to like him when we were young and you even mentioned that you’d marry him given the chance”, Chae Won reminded Shinhye who blushed.

“You know what happened years ago and Yonghwa said that he won’t forget everyone associated to the one who killed his father. What if he found out about me and Si Yeon?” Shinhye asked…trying to control the tremor from her voice.

“Yonghwa said that out of anger in the past…I’m sure given the opportunity…he’d understand the situation better”, Chae Won said before she sipped her wine.

“I don’t have the guts to be involved with him…he’s a complication that I can’t afford to have”, Shinhye said.

“Dearest, Yonghwa is a good man. Don’t waste your time…you still have a lot of things to do than think of the past”, Chae Won encouragingly said.

“You should, too. You’re asking me to live my life but why do you confine yourself from the past, Chae Won? Jung Il Woo is dead…stop wearing black…stop wearing your wedding ring…have that scar out of your face”, Shinhye encouragingly told Chae Won.

Chae Won remained silent…she just looked down on her plate and continued to eat her salad.

“Chae Won…” Shinhye gently called her sister.

“Yes…” Chae Won answered in a low voice.

“Forget the past…it’s been two years already”, Shinhye said.

“I loved him and hated him at the same time, Shinhye. I felt guilty because I never wanted to kill him…I served him and tried my best to be a good wife…I loved him more than anything I had in me to love someone other than you and mom. I never wanted him dead…I never wanted to kill him”, Chae Won said as tears broke from her eyes and she let go of her fork and put her face inside her palms as tears continued to spill.

“Chae Won, you said you never regretted killing him, right? You told me so every time”, Shinhye said as she went to embrace her sister.

“I thought so, too; but, tomorrow was his birthday and I just felt bad because I realized that I felt guilty at what I did to him”, Chae Won replied.

“He’s worse than the devil, Chae Won!” Shinhye angrily said.

“Yes, dearest, I know…I know…but I need to see him at the cemetery. I need to remind myself of what I did two years ago”, Chae Won said.

“Okay, go to him tomorrow…then afterwards…please, have your life back. Have your life back, dear sister”, Shinhye said pleadingly to her sister who was still emotionally crying in her embrace.

Chae Won seemed strong…she seemed invulnerable…but no one knew of the pain she had endured at the hands of her husband. Shinhye knew everything…she knew how hard Chae Won endured being a good wife to a husband who abused her.

“Let’s get you to bed, Chae Won”, Shinhye said as she escorted her Chae Won to her room and helped her change into her black night gown and put her to bed. They each do that to each other every time they were getting nerve wracked remembering their pasts.

“Thank you, Shinhye, thank you”, Chae Won said as she swallowed a piece of the sleeping pills and drank water handed by Shinhye. After 10 minutes, Chae Won was already sleeping.

Shinhye opened the dimly lit lampshade at her sister’s bedside table and opened the windows wide even though it the air was cold. She then went out of her sister’s room to enter her own room to rest and sleep.

That night, Yonghwa and Joong Ki were drinking at the mini bar at Jung Mansion.

“How’s Shinhye?” Joong Ki asked as he sipped his brandy.

“She looks so beautiful…fascinatingly beautiful but aloof to me…terribly aloof to me”, Yonghwa replied.

“Did you ask Shinhye about Chae Won?” Joong Ki asked.

“I didn’t have the chance. She was terribly defensive to the point of rudeness so I wasn’t able to ask her anything significant”, Yonghwa replied.

“Maybe she’s not used to the idea that you’re a divorcee and you have a daughter with Seo Hyun”, Joong Ki commented.

“That’s not it, Joong Ki, I guess it’s something else entirely. How about you? Do you plan to see Chae Won soon?” Yonghwa asked before he took a sip of his brandy.

“Yes, I plan to see her tomorrow”, Joong Ki replied.

“You better see her and asked her out so that you’d finally be happy with your life”, Yonghwa commented.

“I do not only plan to date her…I also plan to marry her so wish me luck”, Joong Ki said as a smile graced his handsome face.

“Marry her? Isn’t too sudden for the two of you?” Yonghwa asked.

“No…I can say that it’s too late for the two of us”, Joong Ki replied.

“You have to make her wear any colors aside from black…or else she might end up wearing black on your wedding day”, Yonghwa jokingly said.

“Hehehe…I better sleep now. I plan to see the Black Widow tomorrow”, Joong Ki said as he tapped Yonghwa’s shoulder.

“Take one of the guest rooms tonight instead of driving to your mansion”, Yonghwa said.

“Thank you. Good night”, Joong Ki agreed as he went out of the mini bar to ascend the grand staircase to the guest room.

Yonghwa also finished his brandy to his room upstairs…he had to remember that his daughter had to be at school early the next day.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Chae Won woke up early that day…she went to take a bath and then selected a black long, pencil cut dress which showed her fair complexion and her small waist to perfection. She paired her dress with three inches stilettos and a wide brimmed hat with a net veil. It was angled to cover her scar on the right side of her face. She applied a light make up and wore her diamond drop earrings, her silver bracelet watch and her wedding ring as her accessories.

“Good morning, Ms. Chae Won”, the butler greeted her as she reached the last landing of the grand staircase.

“Good morning. Is my sister up already?” Chae Won asked.

“Yes, miss, she’s at the pool taking her morning swim”, the butler informed her.

Chae Won went to the pool and saw Shinhye.

“Shinhye, I’d go ahead, dearest”, Chae Won said as she stood at the poolside.

“Okay…I’ll also go to school early today. I forgot to bring my pupils’ activity books yesterday. I’ll check them today”, Shinhye replied as she anchored herself at the side of the pool.

“I’ll see you this evening, dearest. By the way, thank you for last night”, Chae Won said with a grateful smile.

“Anything for you, dear sister, anything for you”, Shinhye replied as she waved her hand in farewell and continued her swimming sessions.

Chae Won went back inside the mansion and saw one of the servants arrived with a basket filled with flowers arranged elegantly.

“Thank you”, Chae Won told the servant.

“You must have loved Mr. Il Woo so much because you never failed to go to his tomb every important occasion”, the servant commented.

Chae Won did not say anything…she just get the basket of flowers and walk towards the main door of the mansion to her black Porsche. She placed the basket of flowers and drove towards the cemetery. After 20 minutes, she reached the cemetery; she went directly to where Il Woo was buried and placed the basket of flowers to his tomb marker. Chae Won sat at the soft grass and touched the marker. Her memories shifted back to the time she met Il Woo.

“I need to file these things…”Chae Won said. She was already third year college in Business Management major in Banking and Finance when she bumped on him at her father’s bank.

“Oppps!” the man she bumped said as the files she was holding fell on the floor at his feet.

“I’m sorry, sir, I’m sorry”, Chae Won apologetically bowed before she went down to get the papers.

“It’s okay. I’ll help you”, the man said as he also went down to help her retrieve the files from the floor.

“Thank you”, Chae Won replied.

“Here”, the man handed her the other files.

“Thank you”, Chae Won again said as she looked up and he saw his face. He had a handsome; smiling face…he was wearing a light brown business suit and a stripped necktie. His suit was paired with his black loafers…he also had a brief case with him.

“Jung Il Woo”, the introduced himself.

“Moon Chae Won”, she answered back as she shook hands with him.

“You’re Mr. Moon’s daughter, right?” Il Woo asked.

“Yes; and, you’re the new accountant?” Chae Won asked.

“Yeah…care for a cup of tea or coffee?” Il Woo asked.

“S…Sure”, Chae Won replied with a beautiful smile. She was mesmerized by him…he was so charming and handsome that she felt her heartbeat escalated and flipped at the same time.

They had coffee and their meetings became frequent until they decided to formally announce their relationship. Since her father died when she was on her sixth year in high school due to an accident she only introduced Il Woo to Shinhye. Shinhye who was a forever admirer of the ChaeKi love team tried to dissuade her.

“I really don’t like him for you, Chae Won”, Shinhye commented one night after their dinner with Il Woo.

“Why not? He’s a good man and an excellent accountant, too”, Chae Won replied.

“I feel that there’s something not right about him”, Shinhye said.

“Shinhye, I know you’re still thinking about Joong Ki but Joong Ki and I are just friends”, Chae Won said.

“But, Chae Won, he told you to wait for him, right?” Shinhye insisted.

“He’s just overcame with grief at the time of the wake of his sister…it doesn’t really mean anything to him”, Chae Won said with a shrug.

“I guess it’s the truth”, Shinhye muttered but she just tried her best to be happy for her sister.

It was vacation before she turned fourth year college when she and Il Woo decided to get married. She was a very happy bride…she was happy to be his wife. She was about to enter her bridal car when she saw Joong Ki standing at the pavement in front of the church. He approached her…

“Congratulations”, Joong Ki said he was followed by Yonghwa.

“Thank you…by the way, this is Jung Il Woo, my husband”, Chae Won happily said.

“Hi”, Joong Ki said as he also extended his hand to congratulate Il Woo.

“Hi”, Il Woo replied.

“Take care of yourself, Mrs. Jung”, Joong Ki told her with a sad smile.

“Thank you, Song Joong Ki”, Chae Won replied happily as she entered the bridal car. She even waved happily to her from the car’s window. He just waved back with a smile that did not reach his eyes.

“Bye, Shinhye…I love you…thank you for everything”, Chae Won said to her sister.

“Bye, Chae Won…I love you, too. Take care of yourself. Enjoy your honeymoon”, Shinhye said with a smile and a flying kiss as the car moved from the church premises.

She was so happy that day until she discovered hell was awaiting her during her wedding night.

“Finally, I have you now at my mercy”, Il Woo said as his handsome…smiling face changed to something different.

“W…What do you mean by that?” Chae Won asked innocently although her heart beat a little faster.

Il Woo grabbed her hair and pulled her towards their room. She left ChaeShin Palace because Il Woo requested that she lived with him at his condominium unit.

“Ahhh, you’re hurting me”, Chae Won moaned in pain as tears started to form in her eyes

“I’ll do more than hurt you, wife, I’ll do worst”, Il Woo whispered harshly to her ear as he threw her to the bed. When she was about to sit up…he sat on her abdomen and pulled a piece of tough raw hide rope from his pocket and tied her wrist at the metal of the headboard.

“What are you doing? Let me go!” Chae Won shouted.

“Shut up!” Il Woo said before he smacked . Her lips hit her teeth and blood came…something which pleased her husband.

Il Woo ripped her wedding gown and he then stripped his clothes and took her…he entered her body harshly ripping her maidenhead painfully. He entered and pulled without paying attention to her cries. He squeezed her s painfully and even bit one of her s. He also bit her lips while he was spanking her body. Her husband brutalized her that the pain she felt made her faint.

“Ahhh”, Chae Won woke up the next day…the place between her legs was so painful…her entire body felt as though she was swelling. Tears fell from her eyes…her husband her. Her wrist was bloody and raw from being tied to the headboard by the rope.

“You’re awake, wife”, Il Woo said from the door…he was seemed pleased when he saw Chae Won’s fear reflected in her eyes.

“From now on you would do everything that I’ll say…you’ll be under my command”, Il Woo continued. He was so handsome that she wondered how his smiling and kind face could hide a demonic personality.

Chae Won flinched when he held her face…and it made Il Woo irritated and she smacked her face which caused her bruises to bleed again.

“Please, don’t hurt me anymore”, Chae Won pleaded.

“I told you you’re under my command and I’ll hurt you whenever and wherever I want to”, Il Woo said as he smacked her face again.

They did not go at the honeymoon trip to France that Shinhye gave them and for almost 10 months that they were married…he lived to his words of hurting her. He her and he bruised her entire body except for her face. Thus, she wore long sleeves and long dresses to the university and to the bank to prevent others and Shinhye from seeing her battered body.  

“Chae Won, are you happy with your marriage?” Shinhye asked one time when she went to visit at ChaeShin Palace.

“Yes, I am…Il Woo is such a caring and attentive husband”, Chae Won replied as the scene of her lying on the floor of the kitchen after Il Woo kicked her because she mistakenly left out an ingredient on the soup she served flashed before her.

“You seemed not happy at all”, Shinhye commented…looking at her sister.

“I’m happy”, Chae Won insisted.

“Okay…but why are you wearing such long sleeves and long dress when it’s a bright day? You should wear lively floral dresses. Let’s go shopping”, Shinhye suggested to her sister.

“But….” Chae Won said.

“Let’s go”, Shinhye said as she pulled Chae Won’s hand.

“Awww”, Chae Won exclaimed in pain because the sudden motion of standing up caused her bruised hips pain.

“Are you okay, Chae Won?” Shinhye worriedly said.

“Yeah…I’m fine”, Chae Won replied as she tried her best to conceal her limping.

They arrived at the department store and went to the female clothing section. Shinhye chose beautiful dresses for her to try on and Chae Won could not do anything but to try them on. She took off her clothes and her bruised body showed at the mirror. Tears fell from her eyes and she was not able to hear Shinhye opened the fitting room.

“Bloody hell! Chae Won, what happened with your body?” Shinhye gasped in surprise seeing her faded bruises and also the new ones inflicted by Il Woo.

“Shinhye…” Chae Won was not able finish her words before she cried in her sister’s embrace.

“Shuussh….” Shinhye told her as she comfortingly held her while in her broken voice she told her sister everything.

“I thought that he’s a good man…I thought he’d take care of me and love me but I was wrong because I married a sadist, Shinhye. There’s not a moment this last ten months when I haven’t felt his kick…his punch…or his belt or his whip. He me every time he’s on bed with me and I felt sick just being with him”, Chae Won wailed bitterly.

“Divorce him…divorce him…” Shinhye said angrily as she rocked Chae Won’s body in her arms in a comforting way.

“I don’t know what to do, Shinhye, because according to the doctor I consulted…I’m pregnant”, Chae Won blurted out.

“Pregnant? Heavens! Bloody hell!” Shinhye said as she exhaled harshly.

“What am I to do?” Chae Won asked.

Shinhye looked at her elder sister. Gone was the logical and strong Chae Won who helped her concealed the murder she did years ago…gone was the happy and helpful elder sister who defended her to anyone who labeled her the Angel of Death. In her arms was a broken elder sister…a battered wife.

“The more you shouldn’t be with him because he’s continuously battering and of you might cause you to lose the baby”, Shinhye said.

Shinhye managed to persuade Chae Won to go home with him to ChaeShin Palace. That night, a repentant Jung Il Woo came.

“Chae Won, sweety, please come home. I won’t hurt you anymore…I won’t make you cry again”, Il Woo pleaded on his knees.

Shinhye went and slapped Il Woo angrily. “How dare you make a living punching bag out of my sister? How dare you, bastard!? Shinhye angrily said.

“I’m sorry…I won’t do it anymore”, Il Woo pleaded with tears on his eyes.

“You better be sorry because if not for my sister pleading not to turn you to the police…you’d be spending your time inside a prison cell, hateful bastard!” Shinhye shouted angrily.

“Chae Won, please, sweety, give me another chance. I won’t hurt you ever again”, Il Woo pleaded.

“Il Woo, please leave me here to think. I needed space to breathe in and it won’t be good for me to be with you since I’m pregnant and I need my sister’s support and care”, Chae Won said.

“You’re pregnant? I’m so happy! Please, come home with me and let me take care of you and our child”, Il Woo said as he was about to embrace her but Chae Won stepped back from him and avoid body contact from him.

“Please, Il Woo, leave me alone…I’ll come home when I want to”, Chae Won said as she turned her back and she ascended the grand staircase leaving Il Woo at the living room.

“Leave my sister alone!”Shinhye said with her teeth gritted in anger.

“I’ll be back and I’ll have her back no matter what!” Il Woo said equally angry…the pretentious mask of a repentant husband gone from his face and his true sadistic nature reflected in his eyes.

“Out! I said out!” Shinhye said as she pointed at the door leaving no option for Il Woo but to leave the ChaeShin Palace.

Chae Won found herself wailing…her whole body was shaking from the pain of her past. Her body shook from the force of her wailing. She loved Il Woo then…she gave him everything that she could but he turned her love for him into extreme hatred…She clutched her chest as she continued to painfully cry.

“You must have loved him so much, Chae Won. You loved him so much. What am I to do now when you live for his memories when I only live for you? Don’t you know that I love only you? Tell me how to compete with the memory of someone who is already dead”, Joong Ki siently said as he clenched his fists on his side as tears threaten to flow from his eyes as he watched the only woman he ever loved cried for another man.


Hi everyone! Thank you for all your support...for subscribing, reading and commenting on my story. Love you all...