Birthday Plans

The Man who never Dies

"So how was the trip?" Mrs Kim asked in interest as Daehyun and So Eun came back.

Daehyun helped So Eun carry her luggages back to her room as So Eun settled down on the couch with her mother for a friendly talk. "It was really great." So Eun grinned. "We finally got Jongup a girlfriend."

"Really?" Mr Kim came down from upstairs. "How unexpected. I always thought it would be Himchan who would get a girlfriend first out of all of you because he seems to know girls very well." he tapped his chin thoughtfully.

"Jongup and Haerin were very obviously in love but none of them did anything to take their relationship to the next step. It was annoying to watch." So Eun blew on her bangs. "We kind of spied on Jongup and Haerin while they were talking and Himchan thought of that stupid idea of writing commands on a white board and flashing it to Jongup while he spoke. It was horrible." she shook her head at the memory.

"The boys had different ideas each and all of them were trying to snatch the white board over to write down what they were thinking of." So Eun laughed. "In the end, Jongup didn't listen to any of them and did it his own way."

"That's good." Mrs Kim nodded. "How about the rest of the trip then? Any photos?"

So Eun quickly remembered the tons of photos which she took of Daehyun and her, the tons of couple shots they took as if they would never have a chance to any longer. They posed together intimately, Daehyun sneaking kisses once in a while and both of them snuggling together.

The thought of her parents seeing those photos made So Eun blush madly.

"Uhm." So Eun cleared . "The camera's battery is flat."

"That's okay." Mrs Kim shook her head and smiled. "Take out your charger and I'll help you charge. I can browse the photos at the same time."

So Eun panicked. NO WAY. "Uhm the charger is kept deep deep deeeeep in the bag so I would need to unpack the entire thing to find it. Why not after I bathe and settle everything?" she laughed fakely.

"I don't mind unpacking for you." Mrs Kim got out of her seat. "I always do that don't I? Where's your bag?"

Daehyun appeared from upstairs at that instant and blocked the stairway. "Uhm Omonim, can you make us ramen? We're starving?" he smiled sheepishly.

"Hungry? Why didn't you say so earlier?" Mrs Kim clicked her tongue. "Wait here and I'll make you some ramen." she quickly rushed to the kitchen.

So Eun met Daehyun's gaze and she let out a small sigh of relief. "Thanks." she mouthed.

Daehyun stifled a chuckle and walked over to sit beside her and almost put his arm around her. Mr Kim settled into the couch as well and yawned. "Nothing interesting happened besides Jongup getting a girlfriend?" he asked raising his brows.

"Just loads of food and swimming." Daehyun shrugged. *And lots of kissing.* he grinned at the thought.

"We bought grilled eel as well appa!" So Eun beamed. "You'll like it!"

"I'll like it if we had a day off." Mr Kim muttered, yawning again.

 

 

 

"Your ramen tastes really good, Omonim." Daehyun praised, slurping down the noodles.

"Aww." Mrs Kim smiled. "You don't need to flatter me, Daehyun. I already accept you as son-in-law." she murmured dreamily.

Daehyun blinked while So Eun nearly choked on her noodles. Daehyun passed her a glass of water quickly and patted her back. "Relax." he whispered, shaking his head.

So Eun coughed and patted her chest. "Umma, I think I heard you wrongly. Can you repeat that?" she blinked.

Mrs Kim just smiled. "It's nothing, just me mumbling stupid things." she shrugged. "Anyway So Eun ah, your birthday is coming in six days!" she beamed excitedly. "What should we do on that day?"

So Eun's face fell and Daehyun immediately ducked his head, sighing deeply. So Eun shifted on her seat uncomfortably and laughed. "Oh my birthday is coming? Didn't realise." she murmured.

"It's just next thursday, we should do something." Mr Kim ate his pancake. "I think we should go to a restaurant. It's been a long time since we went to a restaurant, we should shouldn't we?" he looked over at his wife.

"It's a great idea." Mrs Kim nodded. "We should reserve us a table right now. How about Holiday Inn? Or Hyatt?"

"Hyatt." Mr Kim confirmed. He looked over at So Eun. "How about it, So Eun? Dinner at the Hyatt? Do you want anything for your birthday gift?" he smiled.

So Eun her lips and found that they instantly went dry. "I don't need anything, appa. If you'd like a dinner at the restaurant, we'll do that." she tried to smile. "I'd just like to spend my birthday with the ones I love, Appa." she whispered.

Daehyun reached for her hand under the table and squeezed it assuringly.

"We'll do that then." Mrs Kim smiled at her husband. "Yeobo, book us a table alright? Don't forget like the last time you did."

"I didn't mean to!" Mr Kim raised his hands in defense.

So Eun secretly glanced at Daehyun and noticed that he was looking at her. His eyes were full of regret and guilt and So Eun didn't want to see him that way. It wasn't his fault that she kept dying, and she knew he must have tried really hard  all these years.

They were just the most unlucky couple ever in the world. That's all.

So Eun looked away and sighed softly. What if she still died this time?

 

 

 

"So Eun?" Daehyun knocked on her door.

He opened it and saw that So Eun had been writing something at her desk with utmost concentration. She heard him coming in and quickly closed the notebook and stuffed it into her drawer.

Daehyun frowned slightly at her actions.

She got up from her seat and pulled him to sit at her bed, away from her desk. Daehyun stared at the drawer and bit his lip. Something didn't feel right.

Daehyun snapped his gaze towards So Eun. "What were you writing before this?" he asked carefully. "Homework?"

So Eun smiled. "Yeah." she avoided his gaze. "How did you know? It's the History essay, remember?" she leaned against the wall and Daehyun shifted back as well. "Just wondering, how do you remember everything from the past so well?" she blinked at him.

Daehyun shrugged. "What do you mean?"

"Like how did you remember those stuff for the History tests?" So Eun pouted lightly in envy. "Like the things that happened in your childhood, the stuff that happened a few hundred years ago, even a thousand years ago...how do you remember that?" she scratched her head. "I don't even remember what I ate for lunch yesterday."

"Cheese baked rice." Daehyun answered automatically.

So Eun blinked in surprise and her jaw dropped open. Daehyun grinned and pushed her jaw up. "How did you remember all that?" she gaped. "That's just amazing!"

"When my body stopped aging, my body's condition was changed slightly." Daehyun explained. "I became a little stronger and faster than I had been in the past. Immortality, you know?" he winced at the word. "My memory became freakishly accurate and I could remember everything that happened in absolute detail as well."

"That's cool." So Eun sighed enviously. "If only I had your memory, I'd ace all the history tests." she grinned. "You cheater. Of course you'd get full marks, because you went through every one of those events that were questioned!"

"It's not called cheating, it's called experience." Daehyun leaned to kiss her cheek.

"Yeah yeah cheater." So Eun made a face. "Cheater, I'm hungry." she rubbed her tummy.

"Again?" Daehyun raised his brows. "But we just ate ramen!" So Eun sulked. "Aish, I'm just hungry alright? I'll go get biscuits. Want some?"

"No." Daehyun shook his head. He watched as So Eun went out of the room and he instantly sprang into action. He went to her drawer quickly and grabbed the notebook he saw her writing in just before he entered the room. He flipped to the latest page and he nearly dropped the book.

Kim So Eun's Will

Should I unfortunately die because of unexpected events in the near future, please respect this will that I have made and distribute my things according.

1. My toy Chemistry Set is to be given to Youngjae. I know he's a little too old for that but I always remember how he was envious of me having it in the past and I want him to remember me when he sees it.

2. I have five hundred thousand supermarket voucher hidden at the back of this book that is supposed to be given to Zelo. This is so that you can eat as many chocopies as you want, maknae.

3. I want to give Jongup my iPod so that he can continue dancing to the many songs inside. Continue dancing, Jongup, you look the best when you're dancing.

4. Yongguk needs to study more, seriously. So I'm giving all my text books and encyclopedias to him which I hope he won't see as a burden. The leader needs to read more.

5. To Himchan, I'll give him my baking instruments because he loves baking. Continue being the umma to the rest of the boys, Himchan. Take care of them when I can't.

6. To my parents, there's nothing I can give except my regret and love. I'm sorry for leaving before you, umma, appa. I'm such an unfilial daughter and I'm really sorry for that. I love you two to bits and you guys are the best parents I could ever have. I have always wanted to pay back what you guys have done for me, and I wanted to give you the best things.
I don't have the chance to do so and I'm sorry. What I have right now, you have given me. There is no point in me giving back these things to you.
I have so much regret, umma, appa. I'm sorry for leaving, but please please remember that your daughter loves you very very much.
I love you, umma, appa. Forever.

 

 

To Daehyun,
Please don't cry if you ever read this. I know that you would have tried your best if I died again. Don't ever blame yourself because it is NEVER your fault.
Please live happily, Daehyun. The next time I'm reincarnated again, don't turn me away. Don't use this strategy again, alright? I'm still going to love you whatever you do so don't push me away.
I'm going to be selfish, Daehyun. I hope that you won't forget me, or stop waiting.
Please wait till I'm reborn again, Daehyun. I love you.
Till we meet again.

 

 

Daehyun tore the page out and crushed the paper, closing his eyes as a tear trickled down his cheek. "That babo." he whispered.

So Eun came back into her room at that instant and saw her notebook in Daehyun's hands, immediately paling. "D-Daehyun ah."

"Come here." Daehyun strode over to her and pulled her into his arms, crashing her to his chest in a tight hug. "You're such a babo, So Eun. Writing a will?"

"I just..." So Eun bit her lip, closing her eyes sadly. "In case..."

"There's no in case about it, you're not going to die okay?" Daehyun whispered fiercely into her hair. His fingers were digging into her back almost painfully but So Eun didn't mind.

"I'm not going to let anything happen to you, I'll do anything to stop it." Daehyun swallowed. "So please don't lose hope."

So Eun nodded and cried into his chest as he held her. She never lost hope.

But that didn't mean she wasn't scared.