Home

The Man who never Dies

So Eun trudged into the house, her mind filled with the experiences from going to Daehyun's house.

She had taken a cab like what he told her to, not knowing he was watching her every move to make sure the stubborn her did really take a cab instead of walking home recklessly. His neighborhood was really scary, and there were delinquents everywhere.

So Eun was exposed to some of the underprivileged and disadvantaged because of her parents' jobs, but she had never really been to somewhere like that.

Daehyun's neighborhood was creepy and there seemed to be danger lurking everywhere. She couldn't wait to get out of there, and she didn't want Daehyun to stay there as well.

They weren't very close yet, but So Eun could feel this connection with him that she didn't have with any of the other guys, not even the BAP boys. She didn't know what this connection was, but she found that she couldn't help but be curious about everything about him.

She still didn't think it was right of him to be staying there by himself. Sure he was a highschooler but he had to be of barely legal age right? No parents? No financial support?

So Eun felt a pang of pity and sympathy for Daehyun and her heart cringed. His one room apartment was so small, and when she went in she felt tears gathering in her eyes.

He deserved somewhere better than that. Somewhere nice and comfortable and full of love.

Was that why he seemed so closed off all the time?

So Eun walked into her house and closed the door, plopping herself on the couch as she continued to think. She recalled how emotional Daehyun got when he was describing the events that had happened during the Silla and Goryeo period. Never once had she seen him so emotional.

No. She never even saw a passionate History Teacher who spoke about those events with as much pain and agony as Daehyun did.

It was like Daehyun was there himself, seeing everything first hand. Experiencing the pain and sufferings of the innocent people involved in the political turmoil and heart ache in every sentence.

But it couldn't be. That happened more than a thousand years ago. The only reason So Eun could think of that led to his momentary meltdown of his ice heart was that his parents had died in a similar manner.

Except she couldn't remember any similar happenings in the recent history.

The phone rang, making So Eun jerk up in alarm. She glanced at the clock and realized it was an hour before her parents would be home. So Eun jogged to the phone and picked it up. "Hello?"

"So Eun? You're home?" Jongup's voice came from the other end of the line.

So Eun resisted a chuckle. "Of course I'm home. How do you think I'm able to pick up the phone?" she mused. "What's up?"

"Oh it's just...the boys are over at my house playing video games and we were-" Jongup faltered and So Eun heard Yongguk yelling in the background. "I mean, I was thinking if you wanted to come over. Is your assignment with Daehyun hyung done?"

"Yeah." So Eun chewed on her bottom lip. "I'll be there in two."

So Eun hung up and slipped on her orange slippers, going next door to where Jongup lived. Before she even arrived, she heard the racket the boys were making. It was seriously disturbing the whole neighborhood and she was glad most of the neighborhood around them consisted of them.

She opened the door without knocking since they were familiar like that, and saw the boys strewn lazily over the couch. "Strewn" seemed a little inappropriate for describing humans, but from what So Eun saw, they really did look like a bunch of things scattered randomly around.

"Noona! You're here!" Zelo beamed for a second before returning his attention to the game. So Eun blew on her bangs and pushed Youngjae away to make space for herself on the couch. "Hey guys, I have something I want to talk to you guys about."

"Talk later." Himchan muttered under his breath, cussing frequently. "Die you stupid! Is my gun not working?" he pressed the controller fervently. "Die!!!"

"Hyung! Gentle!" Jongup gulped at his precious gaming equipment. So Eun sighed and shook her head, knowing there was no way she could get them to listen when they were so occupied in gaming like that.

Which was why she went up to the tv screen and pressed the off button.

All the boys stared at her.

"WHAT THE HELL?" Yongguk was the first to burst expectedly. "We were in the middle of the game!"

"I said I needed to talk about something and I want you guys to listen!" So Eun harrumped, crossing her arms in front of her chest. "Can you guys please listen? This is important. You can continue with your game later."

Youngjae pouted and put the controller down, staring back at her challengingly. "What's so important that you have to talk to us now?" he complained. "Can't it be later?"

"No." So Eun sat down on the floor and looked at the boys who were sitting on the couch. "It's about Daehyun."

Everyone perked up, especially Youngjae. He still hadn't forgotten about his curiosity for that particular guy and even though they were now friends, Daehyun still didn't talk much and there were a lot of things Youngjae still didn't know about him.

"What about him?" Jongup asked curiously.

So Eun let out a small sigh and felt her eyes water at the memory. "Did you guys know that...Daehyun's an orphan?" she spoke softly. "I'm not sure if I can tell you guys this, but I think we should help him. Together."

There was silence after that as everyone stared at her in surprise. Zelo looked shocked and Youngjae's expression revealed one of slight realization. "That's terrible." Himchan murmured softly.

So Eun nodded. "Yeah. I went to his house, just." she muttered. "And it's an one room apartment with nothing more than a bed and a stove and chair. He doesn't seem to have any kins and I really wonder how he managed to survive until now." she sighed softly.

"We should help him." Zelo blurted.

So Eun cracked a smile. "I know. Which is why I'm talking to you guys first to seek your approval since I know my parents will surely agree. You five are the most paranoid, obssessive, possessive-"

"Yeah yeah yeah. So what?" Yongguk cut in.

So Eun gave them a grin. "I want to ask Umma and Appa to let Daehyun stay in our house, in the guest room." she beamed, absolutely proud of her suggestion. "And then we seven can be together everyday!"

 

 

 

"Really? How awful!" Mrs Kim gasped. "He's living alone now?"

So Eun nodded. "That's why I'm suggesting that he can take the guest room in our house you know. There isn't anyone living there right now and the BAP boys have already agreed to it. I'm hoping you will too."

Mr Kim gave her a what-do-you-think look. "Of course we'd agree! That's the motto of our charity organisation anyway." he muttered. "We help people. Tell your friend he can move in tomorrow. No need to worry about school fees and anything else because the organization will take care of that."

So Eun brightened.

The thought that Daehyun could have a family....with her no less, it made her extremely happy. She really wanted to help him and she didn't know why.

"Thank you appa!" She beamed brightly. "I'll tell him tomorrow."

"But how in the world did he survive these years without support?" Mrs Kim shook her head in disbelief. "I don't believe we've ever had a Jung Daehyun in our records before. Maybe he isn't from Seoul?"

"I don't know." So Eun bit her lip. "To be honest I don't know much about him. He doesn't open up easily and he's always cold to people. It's so difficult to get a response from him."

"Ah.." Mr Kim nodded. "That's what his life did to him. Don't worry So Eun, once he lives here, your umma and I will treat him like our own son and we'll shower him with enough love to make up for the past 18 years." he smiled.

Little did he know he had to make up for more than a thousand years.

So Eun smiled back. She never felt prouder of her parents' occupation until that moment. Helping people, it was so meaningful and gratifying. She was really glad they agreed.

And then it dawned on her that hey, Jung Daehyun was really going to live in her house.

In the room opposite to hers.

He could possibly be the first person she saw in the morning and last she saw at night.

Her cheeks heated up and she had no idea why she felt slightly flustered at that prospect. There were other teenage guys of her age that had stayed in that room before they were transferred to permanent homes, so why should she feel shy all of a sudden?

Her hands patted her heated cheeks and then another thought occurred to her.

She mentally smacked herself for forgetting the most important thing out of all to make this plan succeed. "Aish Kim So Eun why are you so stupid!" she whispered.

Her face fell as she hung her head down.

"How am I going to convince him to stay here????"