Masked Man

The Man who never Dies

"What else do you need?" So Eun asked, writing down a list. "Anything else?"

"Yes buy some soju please." Mr Kim called from the front of the house.

Mrs Kim frowned and shook her head at her daughter. "Cross that out and pretend you forgot to buy it." She whispered. So Eun laughed softly and nodded.

"Here, the money." Mrs Kim handed So Eun some cash. "It's getting late, you better be careful. Do you want to ring any of the BAP boys to go with you to the mart?"

So Eun shook her head. "Nah it's not necessary." She convinced. "The mart is just a few blocks away. I'll be back in half an hour, tops."

She bade goodbye to her parents and walked to the nearby mart. She liked walking down the pavement at this hour. It was dark, nine plus or nearly ten.

The air was chilly and there weren't a lot of people walking around at this time. But So Eun liked it, the sense of calmness that overtook her whenever she got to stroll by herself. Perhaps it was because the BAP boys were always so noisy that she came to appreciate the moments of silence that rarely appeared.

So Eun looked at her list as she got into the mart, clicking her tongue and looking around for the things she was supposed to get. "First thing's first, chocopies for maknae." She dumped a box of chocopies into her basket.

"Coffee powder, vanilla biscuits, toothpaste." So Eun grabbed the items and ticked them off her list.

She didn't notice how a guy was standing outside, looking in and watching her movement. Dressed in black from head to toe, with a black mouth piece on his mouth and a beanie, people could hardly recognize him even if they knew him.

He leaned against the wall outside and waited till she came out. And then he would follow her home, waiting outside till she arrived safely back.

He knew of her night expeditions as such, and he had followed her on every single one of them. He had tried to make sure she wouldn't get into any trouble of any sort for a thousand years, it wouldn't do for her to get hurt in the hands of a lecher or something.

He looked in and saw her shuffling her feet as she waited in the queue to the cashier. A small smile lit his face, hidden by the mask. *Cute.*

So Eun paid for her items and she got out of the mart, humming a small tune. She looked at the items she got and mentally ticked them off the list. "Hmm good. At least I got Zelo his chocopies." She murmured.

Daehyun allowed her to walk around twenty meters in front of him before he started following her again, pulling his beanie lower.

So Eun disappeared around the corner and Daehyun followed, keeping his footsteps light and undetectable. He turned around the corner and blinked, his eyes widening.

She disappeared.

Daehyun looked around, shocked. Yes this was the path she always took to go home so where did she go?

Daehyun's heart began speeding up as he searched around frantically, cursing himself for not following her at a nearer distance.

He heard soft muffled yelps and he frowned at where it came from. It came from a dark alley where it was dirty and there were rubbish strewn everywhere.

His feet instantly jerked into action and he rushed down the alley, only to see a guy trying to snatch So Eun's wallet from her.

With her grocery bag on the floor, So Eun pulled her wallet as the other guy pulled on the other side. There was a cloth stuck in , most slightly when the robber tried to silence her when he took her wallet.

Little did he expect this girl to actually fight back.

Daehyun almost cracked a smile at how stubborn and furious So Eun looked right then, but he went forward and delivered a strong punch on the robber's head.

He looked stunned that there was someone else around and he wobbled, his gaze unfocused.

Daehyun grabbed the wallet from the robber's grip and tossed it to So Eun who caught it easily.

*Bastard.* Daehyun let out a growl and pushed the robber to the ground, glowering at him menacingly.

The robber scrambled to his feet as soon as he could and fled the scene, terrified. Daehyun let out a sigh of relief and turned around, only to see So Eun blinking at him curiously.

"Thank you for your help." So Eun smiled in a friendly manner, her eyes still studying him. "Thanks for helping me get this back." She waved her wallet.

Daehyun gave a curt nod and turned to walk away, his lips curling upwards at her curious expression and thanking the heavens that he wore his mask.

"Uhm can I have your name? I'd like to treat you to something, anything. You helped me." So Eun grabbed his arm, blinking at him. "Please?"

Daehyun looked back at her slowly, his heart thudding madly. He lowered his gaze to her hands on his sleeve and So Eun let go reluctantly.

Daehyun turned around without a word, striding off. So Eun hurried to grab her grocery bags on the floor.

"Oh don't be such a prude! At least let me offer you a chocopie!" So Eun called out, grabbing the box which was intended for Zelo. "And-"

She stood up, looking around. He was gone.

So Eun scratched her head and looked around. The masked man had disappeared, nowhere to be seen.

So Eun huffed lightly and put the chocopie back into her grocery bag.

"I just wanted to thank you." She mumbled.

 

 

 

"Why are there so many strange males in this planet?" So Eun muttered to herself. "I thought I already saw all weirdness possible when I'm friends with the five goofiest boys on the planet, but apparently heaven wants to prove me wrong."

She looked at the BAP boys who were making a whole lot of noise as usual, as they sat in the classroom while waiting for the teacher to arrive.

Yongguk was the loud and violent one who resorted to fists whenever something happened. He wasn't very smart in terms of academically, but he was a good leader and he had the skills to make people listen to him.

Himchan would definitely make a good event planner because he paid attention to minute details, even the smallest ones. He was a little too naggy, motherly to be a masculine man, but Himchan was manly when times needed him to be.

Jongup was the sweetest boy So Eun thought was possible. He never went against his hyungs and Yongguk and Himchan always bullied him into doing chores for them when they were younger, and So Eun would help Jongup out. Jongup was even more innocent that Zelo in a way.

Zelo was the maknae that was cute and bubbly but at the same time witty and just waiting for the moment to blurt the punchline that would send everyone guffawing like there was no tomorrow. And Youngjae was the one who was the total opposite of Yongguk. The one who would never use fists in a fight, but wit to win the other party.

These five boys had their own characteristics that So Eun thought were already strange enough, but then all of a sudden Heaven made her see another two guys that were weirder and even more difficult to understand.

First, it had to be that masked man from the previous night. Who in the world ran off when someone wanted to thank him? Was he spiderman or something? Like secret identity and he couldn't let anyone know who he was? PFFFT.

So Eun had been thinking of that masked man the whole night and couldn't help but feel like he was very familiar. But whatever, she probably wouldn't see him again.

Which brings her to the next guy in question: Jung Daehyun.

He was so weird, mystifying. He popped up in So Eun's mind quite a number of times and she just couldn't figure him out no matter what. The ice prince with little worlds and a pair of hard glaring eyes....she had seem him let go of that facade for a few moments and she really wondered what this guy was like under that picture he had painted for himself.

So Eun blinked when she saw him walk into the classroom, sauntering slowly. Her eyes followed him, scrutinizing his appearance.

He was cute. Hot. Handsome. Yes. And so many more adjertives but why didn't he use his appearance to his advantage? Why did he push everyone away?

Daehyun got to his seat and noticed So Eun staring again and he sent another fierce questioning gaze. So Eun promptly averted her eyes and twisted her lips. *The human puzzle, that's Jung Daehyun.*

------

The bell signalled for the end of the first half of the day and time for break. Everyone got out of their seats and shuffled out of class to go to the cafeteria.

"Let's go let's go!" Zelo beamed, famished. "Today is Thursday! It's chicken cutlet day!" he pulled Yongguk along.

"Coming coming." Yongguk grumbled, grabbing his wallet. "Come on Himchan stop fixing your hair. Your son is hungry." he pointed at Zelo.

"Arraso my baby~" Himchan put down his mirror and got out of his seat, patting Zelo's cheeks. "And you, my second son, let's go." he pulled Jongup up too.

When Himchan turned to Youngjae, the latter got out himself. "Don't add me into your strange family thank you very much. If anything, I'd be the advisor. I don't want someone like you as my mother." he muttered. Himchan rolled his eyes and turned to So Eun. "My beautiful daughter~~~"

So Eun laughed softly. "You guys go first and grab a table. I'll finish this question and join you guys." she muttered distractedly.

"Okay. We'll be at the usual table." Yongguk nodded and the BAP boys walked out. Jongup loitered behind, biting his lips and glancing at So Eun.

He struggled for a few moments before finally plopping himself on the seat in front of So Eun and watching her do her work. So Eun blinked at him for a few moments before continuing to write. "Why are you still here Jongup?"

"I'll wait for you." Jongup smiled. "It's not like I'm really hungry anyway."

So Eun sent Jongup a small smile and nodded. "You're the sweetest out of the boys you know that? I'll bet that you'll get married first. Yongguk the last." she muttered, her hands working quickly on the piece of paper.

Daehyun pretended to be busy with his own things as he listened in on their conversation.

"Okay I'm done." So eun finished up the problem sum and kept her pen, digging for her wallet. "Let's go."

Jongup stopped her, his brows furrowed. "Wait. What's that." he pointed to her knee. "Why is there....So Eun did you fall down?" he inspected the gash on her knee. "It looks quite fresh."

So Eun blinked in surprise, sitting down and propping her knee up to look. "Oh." she blurted, never seeing it. "I think I got it from last night."

"Last night?" Jongup asked, frowning.

So Eun just shook her head, smiling lightly. Himchan was naggy enough, but if Jongup was truly worried, he could nag as much as the BAP umma did. And besides, the robbery was a failure so why bother bringing it up?

"Nothing much." So Eun muttered. Daehyun frowned, understanding. So she got hurt when that robber tried to rob her of her wallet. He should have kicked him harder.

"It's no big deal, it'll heal by itself. No worries." So Eun assured. But Jongup wasn't convinced and he frowned at the gash. "I think we should at least wash it or cleanse the wound in case of infection. Stuck a band-aid or something."

"It's not like I have any here do I?" So Eun mused. "Don't worry, the boys are waiting. Let's go."

Daehyun's eyes widened as she got out of her seat and he cleared his throat loudly. So Eun turned to him curiously, wondering what was wrong.

Daehyun dug in his bag and got out the band-aid and antiseptic that she prepared for him. He tossed it on her table and scowled. "I don't need it. Take it back." he muttered, getting up and striding to the door before she could say anything.

So Eun blinked at his sudden strange action and stared down at the band-aid. "He didn't use it." she pouted lightly.

"That's better isn't it? Now you can use it." Jongup made her sit down and he began dabbing the wound with antiseptic. "Tell me if it hurts."

So Eun nodded half-heartedly as she watched the door where Daehyun went. Was that a good deed again or did he honestly dislike her that much to not use a band-aid from her?