Take a Chance

The Man who never Dies

It took everything Daehyun had not to run away.

He took a deep breath and composed himself. "What are you doing in my room?" He asked, trying to be fierce.

So Eun stared at him for a few seconds before launching herself at him. She threw her arms around his neck and hugged him tightly, sniffling into his chest. "You're him!"

Daehyun trembled slightly at her touch, his fists clenched at his sides. *Don't hug her back. Don't hug her back. Don't.*

"What are you talking about." Daehyun snapped, pushing her away from him and feigning ignorance. "I know nothing of what you had said."

"This!" So Eun ran to grab the mask from the ground. "You're the masked man as well! It was you all the time."

"So what if I have a mask?" Daehyun grabbed it from her, stuffing it in his pocket. "The air in Seoul is bad so I wear a mask, alright? What masked man, it sounds stupid." he looked away, praying that she would believe him.

So Eun tugged at his hand. "You're him, you wore the same thing last night." she pointed to his clothes on the bed. "And you told me there was a reason for everything. Daehyun," her voice grew unsteady. "What's the reason?"

Daehyun cursed himself. He should never have left those things out in the open so carelessly. He was just at the bathroom for a quick shower! .

"What reason." Daehyun muttered, disinterested. "Find someone else to bother, Kim So Eun. I'm busy."

"Busy doing what?" So Eun took a step nearer. "Finding Kim Sohyun?"

Daehyun looked around and grabbed the phonebook. "Yeah." he quickly fibbed. "I'm looking for her and it's urgent, so please get out of my room."

"How can you find her if she doesn't exist?" So Eun whispered, staring at him.

Daehyun's hand froze in mid air and he dropped the phonebook. His heart thudded unnaturally quickly and his face paled instantly. "What bull are you talking about?" he breathed.

So Eun walked over to look at him, her eyes pleading. "Daehyun, Kim Sohyun doesn't exist right?" she bit her lip. "That's why you always told me that I would never be able to find her no matter how I looked. You told me I was wasting my time. Because Kim Sohyun doesn't exist. You lied about her."

Daehyun clenched his fists. , what did she know?

"You know," So Eun gazed at the back of Daehyun's head as he moved to put some distance between them. "I was looking through some childhood photos today and I noticed something interesting. I saw you."

Daehyun's eyes widened.

"You were at the back of the picture, peeking out from behind a tree." So Eun whispered tearfully. "You helped me up when I fell down while riding my bicycle when I was five, remember?"

Daehyun tried to keep calm. "Oh, that was you?" he faked a laugh. "I hardly remember. It was just a coincidence."

"That was what I thought at first." So Eun swallowed. "But then I found more than ten pictures through my childhood and teenage years of which you were accidentally captured in the background. Tell me Daehyun, is that coincidence? That you were always around?"

Daehyun closed his eyes. "Seoul isn't big enough." he whispered.

"You helped get my father's watch back, remember?" So Eun continued, taking a step towards him. "You told me not to cry, you told me to stay happy. You said you'd do anything for me and you'd look for me when I grow up."

"But Daehyun," So Eun gazed at him, tears staining her face. "I didn't realize something was wrong when I was a child, but I never even told you my name. You called me So Eun."

"Slip of tongue." Daehyun trembled, his eyes closed. He was close to tearing up himself.

"You said you would watch after your fiance as she grew up, guarding and protecting her till it was time for her to turn eighteen, and then you'd try to save her." So Eun touched his arm. "That girl isn't Kim Sohyun is it? It's me, that's why you were there all the time."

Daehyun wrenched himself further from her and stormed to the window, looking out. , he was crying.

"You weren't supposed to fall for me." he muttered in a low voice. "You were supposed to find another guy. Are you blind? Why did you fall for me after what a bastard I was to you?"

So Eun ran to him and hugged him from the back. She was crying again because of what he said. It was true then? What he did all this time was to try make her hate him?

"Is this why you encouraged me to like Jongup?" So Eun whispered. "Why you were so mean to me? You were lying all the time weren't you? There is no Kim Sohyun, it's me you're trying to protect."

Daehyun squeezed his eyes shut the entire time but the tears still fell. He slowly turned around and cupped her face, tilting her head to look up at him. "It's been you, it has always been you." he admitted. "For more than a thousand years, it has always been you."

So Eun broke down into more tears at his words and Daehyun wiped them away as best as he could. "Why didn't you tell me!" she hit his arm weakly. "You made me think you were in love with an imaginary character and I thought you hated me! You know how much I cried?"

Daehyun grabbed her wrist and sighed. "Crying is better than dying, So Eun." he muttered blandly.

"But at least I know what's going on!" So Eun sniffled. "At least I know what you've been through for me. I'm sorry." she buried her face into his chest. "I'm sorry I didn't know."

Daehyun her hair tenderly, kissing her temple. "It's not your fault."

"I promise not to die this time." So Eun held out her pinky. "I promise I'll save you and I together, and we can live till eighty."

Daehyun chuckled softly. "Isn't this what I'm supposed to say instead?" he nudged her forehead lightly. "I can't be with you, So Eun. You're dying because of me."

"I'm dying because of Hong Yu." So Eun corrected. "And what makes you think that I'll stay away if I know everything now? I'm fated to love you, Daehyun. Let's just take a chance this time, please? This time will be different, I can feel it. We'll break out of the curse."

"But.." Daehyun was already thinking of how he was going to sneak away that night.

"If I'm going to die on my birthday in two weeks, can't you at least be around me to make my last two weeks happy?" So Eun begged. "How are you supposed to save me if you're not around?"

Daehyun squeezed his eyes shut. "So Eun, you're not going to die." he said firmly. "I won't allow it."

"So stay." So Eun begged. "Don't go, take a chance for us. I promise not to do silly things and I promise not to sacrifice myself for you. Please?"

Daehyun opened his eyes and stared at her for a few moments. "That's what you said last time too, but you still did. You said this so many times before." he laughed humorlessly.

"Really?" So Eun smiled slightly. "So why don't you just believe me this time like you did in the past?"

Daehyun stared down at her, taking in her sight. He loved her so much, god. He couldn't bear for this wonderful girl to be taken away right in front of his eyes again. He couldn't allow it.

Daehyun slowly ducked his head towards hers and inched closer to her lips. So Eun's eyes fluttered close as her fingers clutched the front of his shirt desperately.

When his lips finally met hers, Daehyun felt hot tears welling behind his eyes again. How many times had he thought of doing this but couldn't? For how long did he have to continue kissing her till she was taken away from her again?

"I love you, So Eun." Daehyun breathed when he tore his lips away from hers. "I promise this time will be different."

And then he kissed her again, hugging her so tightly that she could barely breathe.

But with his lips on hers like this, she didn't think she would need to.

 

 

 

So Eun opened her door wearing her school uniform, the same time Daehyun opened his. They met eyes and small secret smiles crept up their lips. Daehyun cleared his throat and looked away, stuffing his hands in his pockets.

"Morning Daehyun~" So Eun sang, sidling nearer.

Daehyun grunted a reply, not sparing her a look. "Hn."

So Eun bumped his shoulders and made a face. "Yah, stop playing hard to get. I know you love me already." she teased. "And I thought playing hard to get was a girl's role?"

Daehyun snapped his head towards hers and raised his brows. "Excuse me? I'M playing hard to get?" he gaped.

"Isn't that so?" So Eun wriggled her brows playfully. "That's what you're always doing, playing hard to get. Freaking tease." she hopped off to the dining table, leaving him in the middle of the stairs and staring at her in disbelief.

"Daehyun, what are you doing there?" Mrs Kim called. "Come eat breakfast!"

"Neh." Daehyun trudged down the stairs and eyed So Eun. She bit back a chuckle as he took his place beside hers with a scowl. "I'm just naturally this cool and charming." he whispered when her mother was out of earshot.

So Eun spluttered and choked on her milk, pounding her chest. Daehyun quickly rubbed her back soothingly, laughing softly. She threw him a look and elbowed him. "Cool and charming?" she hissed. "Your face is thicker than Yongguk's!' she punched his arm.

Daehyun grabbed her wrist at the last second and pressed a quick kiss to her fingertips. "But you love me."

So Eun quickly retracted her hand when her mother emerged from the kitchen again and she stirred her cereal with utmost concentration. The only thing giving her off was the bright pinkness of her cheeks.

Darn that guy.

Daehyun smiled softly as he watched her, with a slight melancholy in his eyes. *Two weeks. Just two weeks left.*

-----

"YOU TWO ARE TOGETHER NOW?" the boys chorused in surprise.

Daehyun and So Eun had skipped out of the door hand in hand, forgetting that the other five BAP boys were there waiting and watching. Daehyun even ducked down to kiss So Eun on the cheek and So Eun blushed a beautiful pink.

All in front of the BAP boys.

"Shhh!!!" So Eun hushed the boys and looked back at the house. "I don't want to let my parents know about it yet."

"So you two are really together?" Jongup beamed. "Congratulations."

"Wow I really had no idea." Zelo scratched his head, forgetting to ask for his chocopie.

"Ahehe." So Eun pinked, wringing her hands. Himchan let out a fake sob and wiped away an imaginary tear. "My daughter is all grown up now." he murmured. "What an emotional moment. My daughter's first boyfriend."

"Shut up on the first thing." So Eun hissed, clearing . She glanced at Daehyun and saw him stiffling his smiles. Jerk.

"I had no idea Daehyun had the heart to like someone." Yongguk muttered. He eyed Daehyun with displeasure. "I'm warning you, if anything happens to So Eun because of you, I'll have your head."

Daehyun immediately paled, but not because of the threat. He turned to So Eun sadly, his eyes full of guilt.

So Eun understood and shook her head. "Nothing's going to happen to me, right Daehyun?" she hugged his arm. "We're going to live and grow old together till we're eighty." she beamed.

"Eww noona." Zelo cringed at the thought.

So Eun smiled. "Anyway enough about us, we're about to be late. Let's go!" she hurried them to school.

While they were walking, Yongguk pried Daehyun away from her side to give him a fatherly talk and So Eun was left walking beside Youngjae. Youngjae eyed So Eun with an unreadable expression. "What happened?" he whispered privately. "I thought he loved Kim Sohyun."

"She doesn't exist." So Eun whispered back, smiling. "He lied, because he was trying to get me to hate him. He says it's because I love him that I die." she shrugged. "But that's not going to happen this time." she muttered under her breath.

She beamed at Youngjae. "Youngjae ah, it's actually me. I'm the fiance." she sighed dreamily. "Can you imagine us already engaging back in the days? Hehe."

Youngjae didn't say anything as he trudged next to her. He watched So Eun sadly and lowered his head.

*I knew Daehyun loved you, but I didn't want things to become like this. If you're the fiance he's looking for....doesn't that mean you're going to die?*