Of Jealousy and Love

The Man who never Dies

Daehyun couldn't sit still.

First, he was at the chair trying to read a book. Then he gave up on the stupid book and went to lay on his bed in the most comfortable position he could think of. But no he didn't feel comfortable at all. And then he moved on to do a million sit ups to tire himself, hoping that he would finally become so tired that he could fall asleep, but no.

He finally gave up on trying to pretend it didn't matter and started pacing around the room like a maniac.

Downstairs, Mr and Mrs Kim were reading the newspaper when they heard loud footsteps coming from the upstairs room. Daehyun's footsteps were heavy and seemed to be laden with worry.

"What is he doing upstairs?" Mr Kim took off his glasses and frowned. "If I didn't know better, I'd think he was trying to come up with another better formula to beat E=mc^2." he commented.

Mrs Kim laughed and shook her head. "I can think of several reasons why Daehyun is so restless." she smiled knowingly in the direction of Daehyun's room.

Mrs Kim had been fairly certain of Daehyun's affections for her daughter at first. She had after all, been a policewoman before she changed jobs to work in a charity organisation. She was very sharp you know.

It wasn't easy to spot Daehyun's emotions because he masked them with such skill that didn't seem to come with just one or two years or practice. However, Daehyun seemed to let his guard down on his emotions whenever So Eun wasn't around, and that alone was some indication.

Mrs Kim was ready to bet on all her assets that Jung Daehyun had a crush on her daughter until that morning when So Eun announced she was going on a date with Jongup during breakfast.

My word, Daehyun's mask of emotionless was something else altogether because he didn't seem affected at all. Mrs Kim had kept her eye on him the entire time but she didn't see him look nervous, panicky, disappointed, or any sort of feelings on his face when So Eun made that announcement.

She was beginning to doubt herself of her policewoman judgement until after So Eun left. The moment her daughter disappeared through the door, Daehyun's guard went down and he disappeared into his room and started that restless march till now.

That alone, was indication enough of what he felt.

"What?" Her husband asked her. Mrs Kim blinked at him for a few moments before she remembered what they were talking about. "Why is Daehyun so restless?" Mr Kim asked in confusion. "Is it because of the weather?"

Mrs Kim rolled her eyes and shook her head. "Men."

-----

Upstairs, Daehyun was still continuing with his maniac pacing.

How could you expect him to stay completely nonchalant when the love of his life was going on date with someone else?

Sure, he was the one who instigated....oh alright, encouraged Jongup to confess to So Eun. He had been one of the main factors for the presence of this date itself, but that didn't mean he could just give his sincere blessings so easily. Even with his thousand year trained patience and moral training, he couldn't do it.

And so here he was, panicky, worried and restless because his girl was out with someone else. Damn.

Daehyun sighed and raked his fingers through his hair as he remembered similar feelings from the past. He didn't feel any better about situations like this as compared to in the past either. His love for So Eun had never decreased.

 

Year 1672, Joseon Period

"I shouldn't have allowed her to go." Daehyun muttered, frowning. "That guy's a lecher! He'll eat her up any moment!" he was pacing around in his room.

So Eun had gone to a lunch with one of the richest heirs known at that time, Lee Joon. Lee Joon's father had plans of collaborating with So Eun's family business in selling confectionary and it was a very good deal indeed. So Eun's parents were simply elated at the prospect.

However, the only bad thing was that the Lee heir had shown interest in So Eun. He asked her out to lunch at one of the most famous an expensive restaurants in town and So Eun's parents forced her to go because they couldn't risk offending the Lees.

Daehyun had retaliated strongly when he first heard the news but So Eun assured him that it was just a lunch, they were only going to eat. She was hella persuasive and convincing, because now Daehyun couldn't remember a single reason why he allowed her to go.

Lee Joon was a respectable young heir and he wasn't flirty like the other rich men around, however when prone to jealousy, Daehyun's ability to assess situations fairly had escaped him. He felt extremely suffocated while waiting in his own home and he decided to wait for her outside her house instead.

He paced in front of the house like a mad dog for ages, wondering how long it could take for a simple meal. He didn't realize that only half an hour passed when it felt like three hours. He knew he was being overprotective and he should trust So Eun, but he couldn't force himself to cool down.

Loving her for a thousand years meant the yearning and longing was stronger than ever. He couldn't treat it as nothing no matter how he tried.

After what seemed like a decade, a carriage finally returned to the Kim household. Daehyun waited there impatiently, tapping his foot.

Lee Joon got off the carriage and helped So Eun off, bowing in a gentlemanly manner. "Thank you for your time today, Miss So Eun." Lee Joon smiled charismatically. "I had a great time."

"Me too." So Eun smiled. "Thank you for the lunch."

Daehyun fumed. Great time? GREAT TIME?

Daehyun made a move to take a step forward when Lee Joon's eyes landed on him. The heir's lips curled up in a cheeky smile. "You've got quite a loyal servant, Miss So Eun. Already waiting there for you."

So Eun turned around in surprise and met eyes with Daehyun. She smiled brightly and waved. Daehyun wanted to throw his shoe at Lee Joon. SERVANT???

"I'll be going." Lee Joon bowed. "See you next time, Miss So Eun."

Lee Joon got on his carriage and it drove away. So Eun played with her skirt as she walked over to the fuming Daehyun with a cheeky smile. "You look like you ate something bad." she commented at his expression.

"What do you think?" Daehyun muttered. "Servant?" he looked down at himself. "How the hell do I do like a servant?"

"He's just teasing you, Daehyun." So Eun laughed. "I told him he shouldn't continue pursuing me because I already have a lover, and that's you." she patted his cheeks. "He knew all along."

Daehyun softened. "He did? You told him?" he took her hand, walking her back to her house.

"Of course I did. You didn't think I'd lead him on, did you?" she laughed. Daehyun smiled brightly and pressed a kiss to her finger tips. Oh So Eun....

Daehyun blinked. "Wait, did he call me a servant even after knowing who I am. The nerve!!!!"

 

 

2012, Seoul. South Korea

The date was progressing with less romanticism as moments passed. At first, Jongup tried to take So Eun's hand and she let him, not having the heart to wring her hand away. But it felt oddly uncomfortable and Jongup's hand began sweating profusely, until he decided to just let do.

He tried to walk nearer to her like how boyfriends do but then her hair would get into his nose and he would sneeze. He backed away into his own comfortable region and continued walking.

At the end of the afternoon, the two of them had regained their usual banter and lost all awkwardness. The only reason for that was because Jongup had given up completely on trying to be romantic and he just acted like the usual Jongup he was.

So Eun sensed his change and she too relaxed. The two of them hung up like the best friends they were, laughing at silly things and joking around.

This was the sort of relationship the two of them thrived in, not trying to feel something that wasn't there. The two of them went to a cafe at the end to grab some food before returning home.

"I'd like a cheesecake and latte, Jongup." So Eun smiled.

Jongup nodded. "Yes madam!" he disappeared off to the counter. So Eun smiled at settled back into her seat. She figured that Jongup had realized what the two of them were meant to be after all.

Jongup had always been slow in things and his awareness of females seemed to come wayyyyyy after his puberty. Anyone who saw his muscles and abs wouldn't have imagined a guy like that didn't know anything about love.

When he suddenly realized he was a guy (LOL) and discovered his interest in the opposite , the natural option for his love interest was So Eun. Because she had always been there, she was his closest female friend. They got together well and had chemistry between them.

That was when Jongup mistook their close friendship for love because he didn't have any other friendships with other girls to make a reference to. Even if he did like her for a bit, that was just a mere crush. He was just confused the entire time.

Jongup returned with the cheesecake and latte for her and he bought himself a fruit tart and cappucino. He grinned at her as he dug in with gusto, not the awkward boy he was in the morning. So Eun sipped her latte and looked at him. "Jongup."

He blinked at her. "Just confirming." So Eun mused. "Do you think you'd want to go on a date again after this?"

Jongup immediately grimaced and So Eun broke into laughter. Jongup looked embarrassed and he rubbed the back of his neck sheepishly. "Sorry, didn't mean to. I think next time we come out, we should bring the other hyungs. Or at least, come out as friends." he admitted. "Not dates. No, I don't do dates anymore."

So Eun laughed. "That's because you didn't really like me." she shrugged. "I figured you were confused and wanted you to figure that out yourself. Do you even remember how awkward we were in the morning?"

"Totally." Jongup smacked his own face. "That was horrible."

"And don't say that you won't do dates anymore, I'd feel bad." So Eun told him. "Just because I'm not the right girl for you doesn't mean you won't find the right girl. Keep looking, you'll find her someday." she encouraged. "But that girl is just not me."

Jongup nodded. "I think I mistook our close friendship for something more." he admitted. "Sorry for the whole fuss. Oh no...Himchan hyung is going to kill me. He wanted me to report all drama to him tonight!" he groaned.

So Eun laughed heartily. "Tell him to turn on the tv and there it is."

They talked for a while more and So Eun realized there was a someone behind the counter that kept looking over to their table. She turned over to look and the cute female cashier immediately looked away. So Eun glanced at Jongup and a smirk lit her face.

"Hey Jongup." she nudged him. "Look there, the female cashier. Don't you think she's cute?"

Jongup looked at where she was pointing. "I...guess..." he scratched his head. "I can't see her face."

The cashier turned and looked in their direction at this instant and she quickly pinked, looking away. Jongup pinked as well and So Eun watched in interest. "So what do you think? Cute?" she probed.

Jongup cleared his throat. "No comment."

"Aww that's Daehyun's line!" So Eun slapped his arm playfully. She sipped her latte with a large smile and looked back and forth between Jongup and the lady cashier. "You know what I think?"

"We should come to this cafe more often."