NO

The Man who never Dies

And it turned out that Jongup was right.

There came a few days of peace and quiet after the test where everyone was just happy to go to school and daydream during the lessons.

So Eun got over how she would most slightly do badly for that test and she became happier. Her "relationship" with Daehyun was stagnated at the not-talking-but-I'm-looking-secretly stage.

Daehyun was completely aware of her every moment of course.

He may pretend not to notice her, looking completely unbothered and nonchalant about everything around him. He looked as if he didn't give a damn about anything at all, and some even wondered why he went to school if he wasn't listening.

But no, Jung Daehyun came with a purpose.

He took note of every small movement So Eun made beside him. Sitting so near to her but unable to say anything to her was a terrible torture but Daehyun relished every moment of it.

It was much better than living aimlessly and waiting for her to be reincarnated again.

He listened in on the BAP boys' friendly banter everyday, and sometimes it took a lot for him not to burst out into laughter at the sheer absurdity of their conversation.

He particularly appreciated how they were so foolish and naive sometimes, because it had been those characteristics that had made So Eun smile.

He loved her smile, he would do anything to keep it there.

But since he was on a mission to make her hate him, it was highly impossible for that to happen anytime.

On the other hand, So Eun found herself to be highly aware of this particular guy beside her. She resumed her usual active note taking in class, doing her work diligently like the Kim So Eun she was.

However, when Daehyun just moved an inch, to scratch his nose or rub his arm, she would look up immediately.

She didn't know why either. It wasn't like she paid careful attention to him consciously, but it was like her subconscious paid attention to him regardless of her will.

He came into her mind ever so often and it was puzzling. She didn't even like him.

From his actions and words (those few) till now, So Eun had seen Daehyun being an ice prince but also a warm-hearted guy at the same time. However at that point her feelings were leaning a little more towards dislike unfortunately.

So why did she take notice of him so much?

So Eun propped her chin up with her elbows and pouted lightly, discreetly eying the guy beside her.

He seemed to be reading a book, but So Eun knew better. He hadn't flipped the page for a good whole ten minutes.

So what was he thinking about?

Daehyun suddenly turned, looking at her straight in the eye. He frowned and let out a growl. "What."

So Eun gulped. "Nothing." She murmured, facing the front.

She made a face discreetly and pouted. What a meanie.

At this moment, the class monitor Lee Jinki, also known as Onew, came into the noisy classroom filled with rowdy students.

Teacher Shin was late and nowhere to be found hence Onew went to look for her, being the responsible class monitor he was. He came back alone, however, but his hands were clutching a stack of papers.

"Class listen up please!" Onew tapped the board.

The rowdy boys in class were too engrossed in their banter and the girls too engrossed in their gossip. No one was paying attention.

"SHUT THE HELL UP AND LISTEN TO JINKI!" Yongguk suddenly hollered.

Everyone shut their mouths immediately and turned to the front. Onew pinked and sent a grateful glance to Yongguk.

"Okay, so I went to look for Teacher Shin and realized that she was still in the toilet." Onew looked a little embarrassed to say it. "I asked another female teacher to go in to talk to her and realized she was having stomach problems."

"Whoohoooo no lessons!!" The students cheered.

Daehyun vaguely wondered why their reaction was so. If it had been in the past, the students would be absolutely devastated that their teacher was unable to attend lessons and might even send gift baskets to the teacher's house.

Ah but well, times have changed.

"Not too happy yet!" Onew cut them off. "Teacher Shin will be coming in for the second half of the period if she gets better by then, and she also gave me instructions to get this stack of papers from her table." He waved it. "Guess what it is?"

All eyes glued to the papers. "Please don't let it be the history test we took." One girl whispered.

"Bingo~" Onew sang, grinning. "It's according to the position you are sitting so can you please sit at your original places while I return your scripts? No peeking at other people's marks!"

So Eun paled at the news and she slumped at her desk, sighing. "Oh no."

Jongup looked at her sympathetically while Yongguk grabbed his hair in annoyance. "Why must she mark the test so quickly?" He complained. "I wouldn't mind if she took a month!"

Onew reached the front of So Eun's row and Daehyun noticed her shivering lightly. He desperately wanted to be able to hold her hand to give her comfort. It was just a history test, not the end of the world.

But he kept his hands to himself.

Onew reached So Eun and he placed her paper on her desk, faced down. So Eun swallowed and touched the edge of the paper gently.

"Yes! 89 percent." Youngjae murmured softly, knowing that this was one subject he didn't want to compete with So Eun. It wasn't fun winning her in History when he felt bad about seeing her upset as well.

Jongup smiled at his 73 and he looked over at So Eun. "So Eun, how did you do?"

So Eun swallowed and she gently flipped over her paper.

60.

She slumped, her face falling. "That's a C." She murmured sadly. She buried her face in her hands. "I knew it."

Himchan went over to pat her head. "Don't be too sad, my daughter. I only got 64 if it cheers you up, not too much higher."

"And I failed." Yongguk muttered dully. "What a surprise."

Onew reached Daehyun and passed him his test paper. He accidentally glanced at the marks and his eyes widened, blinking a few times.

Daehyun looked at Onew and the class monitor quickly snapped out of his daze, passing the paper to Daehyun. "Good job, Daehyun sshi."

Onew sent him a smile and continued giving out the papers. There were a series of groans and delighted gasps, signaling the different ranges of makes gotten by the students.

Daehyun glanced at his own. 100%.

He allowed a small smile on his face. Well of course he couldn't get lower than that score, he practically lived the history.

So Eun glanced curiously at Daehyun, studying his face. He didn't seem to have a tinge of expression on his features, like he didn't feel anything about it. She vaguely wondered if he did well.

Daehyun's test paper fluttered to the ground as a gust of stronger wind blew into the classroom and landed beside So Eun's feet. She blinked and ducked down, picking it up for him.

"Here, Jung Daehyooaaahh?" So Eun's eyes widened at the 100% score. "You got full marks." She whispered in awe.

Daehyun snatched the paper away, not looking at her. "None of your business." He felt his cheeks grow slightly warmer.

So Eun gulped and stared at him in wonder. How was it that he could get full marks for history when he didn't even listen in class? It was amazing.

Just then, Teacher Shin came into the class with a sheepish expression soon on her face. She rubbed her tummy and faced the class. "I'm sorry I was late. As Jinki would have told you, I ran into some bathroom trouble."

Some students laughed.

Teacher Shin straightened and looked at them. "But anyway, I trust that you would have gotten your test papers back now?" She eyed them. "Some of you didn't do very well this time..." She glanced at Yongguk.

Yongguk cursed under his breath. "I wish she wouldn't do that every single time." He muttered.

"...and some of you, did exceptionally well." Teacher Shin turned to look at Daehyun, who stared back without flinching, as if who she was talking about wasn't him.

"So anyway," Teacher Shin looked at them and smiled. "I've come up with a tutoring program for the stronger students to coach the weaker students in History."

There came a series of groans as tutoring programs were always widely disliked. Anyway, anything related to studying was disliked. So yeah.

"I'm going to read out the names of tutors and tutees, so listen carefully." Teacher Shin tapped the table for attention. "First, Song Joongki tutor and Gary tutee."

Gary made a face at the pretty boy. "Ah STRESSEU." He muttered.

"Yoo Youngjae tutor, Bang Yongguk tutee."

"Asa!" Youngjae grinned at the leader who scowled back. "Don't look so grumpy, hyung. At least you got me."

"Jung Daehyun tutor, Kim So Eun tutee."

So Eun's eyes widened and Daehyun inwardly cursed. He wanted to spend more time with her yes, but he also had to watch his actions when he was with her and it was tiring. And he had to make sure she hated him, helping her with her work sure wasn't going to work.

Himchan saw So Eun's astonished look and was puzzled as well. "Wait So Eun is the tutee and Daehyun is the tutor?" He asked. "Jung Daehyun?" He asked in wonder.

Teacher Shin grinned and nodded. "Daehyun haksaeng over here actually got full marks for the test. I'm sure he would be happy to help So Eun improve her history score."

So Eun fidgeted in her seat, wondering how on earth she was going to endure time with Jung Daehyun when it seemed he didn't want to talk to her.

And apparently Daehyun thought the same way.

"No."

All eyes turned to Daehyun and everyone blinked, hearing him speak out for the first time.

"No. I won't tutor Kim So Eun." Daehyun said in a low but steady voice. "Anyone but her."

So Eun's eyes widened and she couldn't help but feel offended. Excuse me? Anyone but her?

Was she that terrible or did she have incurable body odor or something? That was an insult through and through, just what was that Jung Daehyun thinking!

"Daehyun haksaeng, that's not a very good thing to say." Teacher Jung looked awkward. "So Eun is a fast learner and she's a very nice girl. You'll enjoy teaching her."

*Im just afraid I'll enjoy it too much.* Daehyun thought to himself.

Youngjae couldn't stand how Daehyun was acting and he stood up. "Seongsaengnim, how about I tutor So Eun as well?"

Jongup and Zelo nodded eagerly.

"But you've already got Yongguk. Tutoring two students might be too much of a burden Youngjae." Teacher Shin shook her head.

"Then I'll tutor So Eun and Jung Daehyun tutors Yongguk hyung." Youngjae bargained.

Teacher Shin looked over at Daehyun and the latter nodded, slumping back into his seat. Teacher Shin sighed softly and nodded. "Okay then. Youngjae tutors So Eun and Daehyun tutors Yongguk."

"Now will everyone flip to page...." She started talking, but So Eun wasn't listening.

She was trembling, her fists clenched on her skirt, her teeth gritted tightly. There were tears gathering in her eyes and she scolded herself for being so easily affected by him.

Him.

Who did he think he was?

Anyone but her? Did he hate her so much? She didn't even do anything to him, she had tried to be friendly, given him band-aids and stuff, and here he was acting like she was some sort of disease.

So Eun felt hurt and angered at the same time. She could understand the angry part, but she didn't know why she felt hurt. Being disliked by someone like Jung Daehyun didn't matter that much, did it?







"Yah Jung Daehyun."

Daehyun stopped in his steps, closing his eyes momentarily and just savoring the way her voice called his name. Even though her tone wasn't all that friendly right then, it strikes a chord within him.

He turned slowly and saw So Eun glaring up at him angrily, her fists clenched up at her sides. "What did you mean anything but me?" She hissed.

Daehyun swallowed. So she was hurt, as he planned. But it hurt him more to do this.

"Just as the words say. I'll tutor anyone but you." Daehyun spoke quietly, eying her with an unreadable expression.

So Eun took a deep breath. "And why is that?" She demanded. "Am I that dislikable? Did I do anything to offend you? In fact in my memory, I was quite amiable to you, Jung Daehyun."

Daehyun looked at her blandly. "I don't like you. I don't need a reason."

Something fired up in So Eun and she reached out to punch Daehyun's chest. He stumbled back a few steps, not expecting that move.

"Jerk." She whispered, sending him a glare before striding off in the opposite direction.

Daehyun rubbed his chest where she hit him and sighed softly to himself. "I'm sorry."