Closer

The Man who never Dies

Daehyun let out a sigh and grunt.

Math. Was he seriously going to be defeated by math?

His hands went up to his hair naturally and ruffled it frustratedly, his frown deepening. Like seriously? People nowadays actually teach kids these stuff? What happened to literature and the classics?

"Aish." Daehyun grunted, desperately wanting to give up.

A few girls passed his table and they waved at him flirtatiously, giggling. One of them leaned against his table and winked. "Oppa, studying math?" a girl smiled. "Do you need help?"

Daehyun sent her a glare and she backed away instinctively. "I guess not." she muttered. "Work hard oppa." the girls ran off.

Daehyun blew on his bangs frustratedly and rolled his eyes. And how was he going to focus on studying when there were so many girls like that trying to flirt with him? Can't a guy study in peace seriously?

Youngjae had actually volunteered to stay back to coach Daehyun on math and Daehyun grudgingly accepted. It was useful to some extent because Daehyun wouldn't have gotten some things without his explanation. He was a fast learner on the whole but with expert explanation, he picked it up faster.

However studying with Youngjae was actually quite irritating and annoying. Youngjae was like another version of Himchan who was really nosy and he kept asking irrelevant nosy questions about Daehyun's life.

Specifically, his love life.

Like what sort of girls he liked, if he had any girlfriends before, and what he thought of the girls in the class. Daehyun didn't answer a single of his questions but there was one that disturbed him thoroughly.

Youngjae couldn't stop asking what Daehyun thought of So Eun. It made Daehyun unsure of himself and he wondered if his facade was dropping because Youngjae was certainly suspecting something to ask something like that.

Daehyun of course, didn't answer all the questions. It took everything he had not to blush when So Eun was mentioned and he was secretly glad Youngjae had a tummy ache and he was at the toilet relieving himself, giving Daehyun a break from his rentless questions.

Daehyun stared down at the math question and tried to solve it again. His head was bursting with all the methods and numbers and he felt a headache coming.

There came a shadow on his writings and the shuffling sound as someone sat down on the chair opposite of his where Youngjae had been sitting. Daehyun's lips pursed naturally and he assumed the person was another girl trying to chat him up.

"I'm single and I intend to stay that way." Daehyun muttered without looking up. "Go away."

The person let out a soft chuckle and she leaned closer. "Really."

Daehyun froze at the familiar voice and looked up to see So Eun grinning back at him. His gaze naturally softened and he rolled his eyes to hide the smile that was forming on his lips. Daehyun pretended to continue with his work and So Eun cocked her head to the side, studying him.

Boy, he really was handsome.

His bangs fell to his eyes as he bent his head down but his form was really handsome and charming even when he wasn't saying anything. But she had meant what she said in the past. She really liked it better when he smiled, he looked even better than.

"You intend to stay single?" So Eun asked curiously, slightly surprised but secretly thinking that it was not unexpected. The way Daehyun acted around girls gave off the vibe that he didn't want anything to do with them, so why would he want a girlfriend?

But then again for a 19 year old guy to say that so calmly...

Daehyun didn't look at her as he continued his problem sum, not answering her question. So Eun watched him, twisting her lips as she thought. "Why?" she asked curiously. "Why do you want to stay single?"

"None of your business." Daehyun muttered, not looking at her.

So Eun grinned, shaking her head and expecting the response. She glanced at his words and was surprised that his handwritting was even neater than hers. He wrote his name like he was writing calligraphy and his numbers were all the same size unlike hers.

"Yah why are you pestering my student?"

So Eun and Daehyun looked up to see Youngjae walking towards them while wriggling his eyebrows. "So Eun are you trying to flirt with my student?" he teased as he pushed So Eun out of his seat and placed himself there. So Eun huffed at him as she tried to regain her balance and she stood up.

"Aish I was just going home from the council meeting and wondering if you guys were done and we could walk home together." So Eun made a face. She glanced at Daehyun and pouted when she saw he wasn't paying attention.

"Since you guys aren't done yet, I'll go home first." So Eun waved. "Bye."

She ran off and Youngjae called a "Bye!" back. He observed Daehyun secretly and saw him glance up briefly as So Eun went, his lips quirking up ever so slightly.

Youngjae grinned. There had to be something right there.







Daehyun sat down on the bench and put his legs on the bench, using his lap as his table.

He had done countless math sums that day but he still wasn't confident of himself for winning. He knew So Eun would do what she threatened to and the only way to go against her was to win this challenge she was talking about.

And looking at his chances, he would most definitely have to move into the Kim house.

That idea definitely appealed to him but he had other things to think about, namely, keeping her alive.

Daehyun sighed and twirled the pen with his fingers, glancing at the familiar cream colored house he always visited everyday. The park bench he was sitting on had a full front view of the Kim house and when Daehyun missed So Eun too much in the past, he would sit on this particular bench while staring at her window.

Daehyun pulled his beanie down when he felt a cold night breeze and covered his ears. The mask on his face was slightly scratchy but he was used to it.

Just as he was about to slip into one of his frequent daydreams, someone plopped herself next to him.

"Masked man!" So Eun beamed. "Fancy seeing you here."

Daehyun jerked in surprise, hiding his math books quickly behind his back and glancing at So Eun nervously. He felt thankful that he remembered to wear his beanie and mask so that she wouldn't recognize him.

"What are you doing here, masked man?" So Eun asked curiously. She remembered something from the past and gasped. "Oh were you the one who wrapped the black leather jacket around me the last time when I dozed off here?" She asked curiously. "I still have the jacket."

Daehyun just looked back at her, not saying a word. He looked away, fixating his gaze somewhere else hoping that she wouldn't ask anything more about the matter.

So Eun blew on her bangs. "Why did I think you would even answer me..." She muttered.

She sighed and leaned back, bringing her legs up and hugging her knees. She rested her chin in her knees and cocked her head to the side to look at him.

His coldness was seriously familiar to a certain guy she knew. The infuriating cold guy that wouldn't do anything she said.

Jung Daehyun.

"You know, you remind me of someone." So Eun murmured, making a square with her fingers and looking at Daehyun through the square.

"This guy in my class, Jung Daehyun." So Eun muttered thoughtfully. "I can't really see your face with the mask and beanie, but even your eyes look similar to his."

Daehyun froze, biting his lips. Would she realize?

Apparently not.

So Eun let out a small sigh as her thoughts trailed to the guy she was talking about. "Have you met anyone that's really confusing, masked man?"

Daehyun looked at her.

"This Jung Daehyun is the most confusing guy I've ever met." So Eun frowned and twisted her lips. Daehyun flinched at her frown and wondered why that meant.

"He's so difficult to understand. I have no idea what he's thinking most of the times." So Eun pouted lightly. Daehyun bit his lip, nodding slightly. So that was what she meant.

So Eun looked into the distance. "He's so cold....like you." She smiled and glanced at him. "And like you, he doesn't talk much. And there was once he said something that hurt me really badly even though I didn't show it. He seemed to hate me even though I didn't do anything and I was so confused."

Daehyun sighed softly, remembering and regretting.

"And recently I found out that he's an orphan." She whispered and hugged her knees tighter. "I'm not sure if this is the reason for his cold character, but I really hope to break into that wall he built for himself. I saw him smile once, I want to see it again."

"I'm not a bad person, actually." So Eun cracked a small amused smile. "But I'm not a really good person either. I have my own selfish thoughts lies. I could have just told my parents about him and they would have settled everything from his housing to his school fees."

"But you know what? I actually sent him a math challenge." So Eun's hands flew to her cheeks. "I feel embarrassed when I think about that. I'm actually trying to convince him to take the spare guest room in our house right now."

So Eun knocked her ow head. "Now that I think about it, I feel even more embarrassed. I know this guy for like two weeks and I'm asking him to stay with me. Not us alone but still..."

Daehyun watched her curiously, his heart thudding quickly.

So Eun bit her lip. "But you know even though he's really annoying and all....I find that I don't dislike him." She realized. "I don't disliked him at all."

Daehyun looked at her in surprise. Even after what he said to her, him bringing her to his rundown house, his cold attitude...she didn't dislike him?

"I think he's interesting." So Eun smiled softly. "I think he's a nice person underneath and I just can't....I can't stay away. "

So Eun blinked and shook her head, blushing and patting her cheeks. "Ah what am I talking about."

She got up and beamed at Daehyun. "I'll be going. See you next time, masked man. Maybe next time you'll take off that mask."

So Eun grinned and went away, waving.

Daehyun stared at her, swallowing hard. She didn't dislike him. And from what he heard, she had some warm feelings towards him.

Daehyun closed his eyes and put his arm over them. ". I think I just fell in love with her again."