The Awakening

The Gem's Jeweller

 

Location: Neul Paran High School

Time: February, 2005

Season: Spring

 

                “YuMee!”

               

                YuMee woke up with a start, standing from her desk and stared at the black board. The teacher who was busily kecturing and students stared at her with quite bored expressions, some were even yawning.

                “Yes? Min-ssi?” The teacher asked. YuMee stared at her teacher then at her classmates, quite embarrassed.

                “U-uhhh, nothing!” YuMee said in embarrassment and continued proceed to sit down. She looked sideways and saw her best friend chuckled at her action. YuMee could only laugh awkwardly.

                YuMee looked at the window beside her... she was once again lost in her reverie... thinking, who had call her in such an eerie manner? It was as though... that person was close... very, very close.

                “...you’re saying that someone called your name that made you stand up?” MinJung, YuMee’s best friend said, laughing at her weird friend.

                “Well yeah, is there any other reason?” YuMee said as she took a sip on her strawberry milk. They were walking towards their own home.

                “Well... it could be that someone poked your back and you got startled” MinJung said thoughtfully.

                “Yeah right, you’re the only person who would do that to me. And besides, you’re not sitting behind me; you’re sitting BESIDE me” YuMee rolled her eyes and MinJung just giggled.

                “What ever” MinJung said and locked her arms with YuMee.

                “Yah, what am I, your boy friend?” YuMee jerks off MinJung’s arms. MinJung just scoffed.

                “Well... you know I missed my boy friend” MinJung said dreamily.

                “Yeah, I know... that Mr. Does-not-exist guy” YuMee said “I didn’t even get to meet this guy you’re speaking of!”

                “That’s because he—“ MinJung bit her lips as a sign of hesitation. “He lives in another country”

                “Really... just because you met him last year doesn’t make him your boy friend” YuMee smirked at the look on MinJung’s face.

                “Aish! You’re really evil!” MinJung said and YuMee laughed dearly. “Come on, you got a big day tomorrow” MinJung pulls YuMee into a run and both were laughing their hearts out.

                It was the next day that YuMee would turn 17, and as a tradition to their family, she would get a nice painting of her in a Korean traditional suit or hanbok.

                YuMee is just an average Korean lady, nothing so special about her. She lives with an ordinary family and being the middle child, things seemed to be working out for her. Know why, Because she could act as the eonnie or the magnae.

                But on top of that... she hasn’t found what you call a ‘true love’ for the reason she doesn’t know if those emotions were ‘true’ enough. Sure she already had a boy friend and went on dates, but she doesn’t feel anything. It’s just... numb, she thinks it’s not her fault for being like that... she’s even in doubt whether she’s a normal person or not.

                “YuMee-ah!!!” A mother-scary-tone voice called. YuMee suddenly jerked from her bed and rushed to the door, she doesn’t want to see a mother-on-rampage mode.

                “Neh?” YuMee asked as she looked down from the stairs.

                “Go pick your dress from the shop we went by last week... they called that your hanbok is ready” YuMee looked bluntly at her mother. She just sighed and grabbed her hoodie and went back downstairs. It’s already 7 in the evening and it’s already dark... YuMee hates going out at that time because she needs to study.

                As soon as she gets out of the house, even though summer’s just approaching, it was chilly. She was just wearing some shorts and puts on her high-cut boots. The shop is on the next block, she can just walk going there. She walked and along the street lights... but as soon as she passed the trash bins, she noticed something... glittering.

                Intrigued, even though her mother told her off for picking things from dirty places, she went to grab it from the bin. She looked at it and noticed that it was a necklace... the necklace was worn out and dirty. She surveyed it carefully and noticed there were empty slots.

                “Hmm... I guess the robbers took the gems from these” She said. But then she thinks again... “If they took the gem, why didn’t they just take this necklace?”

                YuMee rubbed the necklace with her handkerchief... the necklace glistened. It was a golden necklace. Her eyes widened at the very thing before her... how could someone throw a golden necklace?! YuMee rubbed and rubbed until the whole necklace was shiny. She smiled at her little work, but then she noticed something engraved. She leans closer to have a better look...

“PROM15E TO BEL13VE”

                “Huh?” She looked closer again... “Promise to believe?”               

                As soon as she read the encryptions, it was as though her voice echoed around her. Then, the lights began to flicker as though it was lacking from power. YuMee began to panic, the wind blew harshly against her, YuMee holds on to her hoodie until... she disappeared. Then the neighbourhood became peaceful and quiet as though nothing happened.

...

...

...

                In a strange town, unknown to earth, in a kingdom called Elimine, the town called: Alma, A town known for its peace and order, high-leveled educations, magicians, and jesters. The town was having a peaceful afternoon: caravans travels towards the markets and Elves were strolling by two’s or in groups. Yes, you heard it right... Elves, creatures who are human-like figure but ears longer than the head, wearing suits that one has not seen before.

                It was a cozy afternoon for these Elves were just minding their own business when—

                BAM!!!

                “HEY YOU! COME BACK HERE!” A hoarse and mad voice yelled. In a distance were 2 Elves running to save their dear life. “I’M GONNA HAVE YOUR HEADS FOR THIS!!!”

                The 2 running elves just kept on running until they head towards the middle of the town, the mad man was still following them, the by passers were getting out of their way in order not to get involved. It was until then the two met an end with 2 separate ways.

                “We’ve got to split!” Says one of them.

                “OKAY!!!” The other one replied in gasping tone. So one went to the left and one went to the right... the mad man followed the Elf who went to the right way.

                The Elf who went to the right path, runs outside the castle’s gate, he didn’t mind it though, he just needed to get away from that man. The mad elf stopped at the edge of the gate way angrily. He did not want to step out of the castle’s security since brigands and thugs were known to be hiding.

                “I’m going to get you next time!!!” The mad Elf said and looked at the retreating back of the ELF who was running towards the forest.

                The elf finds a grassy spot and laid there, panting and puffing from running. After that, he laughed out until he saw something from the sky.

                It was falling...

                Falling very fast...

                It’s falling very fast on him—

                BAMMM!!!!

                Ouch....

 

AiMei: Anyeong!!! it's me again hehehehe I'm presenting to you another of my masterpiece!!! This time it's all about adventure and love in a fantasized world!!! Hope you enjoy reading!!! ^^