Chapter 8

Will I get through this?

 

“Now, a congratulatory speech for the bride and groom!” the host exclaims excitedly, rupturing an anticipating applause from the audience.

 “Jieun-ah, that’s your cue!” my mom nudges me.  I nodded and stood up from my seat.  Gulping, I began to make my way to the stage. On my way there, I passed the happy couple and gave an awkward smile back.

I stood stiffly under the blinding light of the stage. The silence that followed the audience’s cheers and hollers was deafening. Already, I felt that this was the end of me. I bit my lip nervously, scanning the crowd as I did so. My legs are gradually losing strength as I met my relative’s expectant gazes.

“Annyeonghaesayo,” I greeted everyone as I bowed. “First off,” I began like I had practiced earlier, “congratulations to my dearest sister, Lee Jiyeon, and to my best friend, Jang Wooyoung.”

 I turn my head to their table and gave a small bow. In return they encouraged me with a fighting pose, their hands intertwined.

I took in a deep breath as I begin my unprepared speech, “This wedding…I’m sure everyone’s been expecting this. It was bound to happen after that five years of dating right?” I pause as everyone agrees. “Well to be honest, I never really expected it. Even though I’m the sister of the bride and the best friend of the groom, I still can’t believe it. Besides, I never wanted to give away my best friend…let alone my sister. I guess I just loved them too much and wanted to keep them to myself. But if I had to really pick then I guess would have wanted this also,” I finish with a sigh. "My sister and my best friend," I utter with my practiced smile. 

 “Jiyeon-unnie, Wooyoungie, I hope you live happily!” Wooyoung grins, sharing a loving glance with Jiyeon.“And as I promised... Wooyoungie, I lost the bet,” I laugh thinking back to the old times when I betted that I'll take him in when the rest of the world rejects him. Obviously, it was me that needed him more than him needing me. 

I turn to my dad, giving him his cue. He stands up immediately and tells the techy guy to play the recording. I smile under the bright lights of the stage. The intro comes on and I stood there expectantly. It was a duet with my dad. I had urged him to sing with him in return with me doing the speech. He agreed. I figured if I had to sing in front of a crowd, might as well go with the song we betted on.  Finally, the intro cuts short and I begin to sing.

If I have a boy friend, there'll be so many things I want to do

I've dreamt I have a boy friend like that

The first, kissing him in the street

The second, catching the early train for Chooncheon with him

The third, going on a picnic with him

The fourth, the piggy back ride

The fifth, couple-ring is basic to our love

Boo boo boo It'll be really sweet

The thought of it makes my heart flutter

I'll try to do every one a day with you

I'm so happy to be with you

I'm so happy we both are together

You're a real treasure to me, baby baby baby baby baby boo~

I grin as I finish my part smoothly. I turn around, expecting to see my dad, but there was another surprise: Yoseob. I crease my eyebrows, scanning for my dad. Finally I spot him standing with the host. He was cowering away from me which was useless under my murdering gaze. I gape, feeling betrayed. Then Yoseob’s voice comes on, leaving me utterly speechless.

The stage lights shine on him as he enters. With such a dazzling and a handsome approach, he was already sure to have stolen everybody’s hearts. However it wasn’t the tricks of the spotlight that brought him to my attention. It was his voice. Soft, smooth and easy- those were the perfect words to describe it. It was nothing mind-blowing and nothing like those opera singers but just the simplicity was enough to send my thoughts away. Just him and me singing-that was all.

If I have a girl friend, there'll be so many things I also want to do

I've always envied another's girl friend

The sixth, I'll go to late night movies with you

The seventh, I'll go to amusement parks with you

The eighth, I'll hold a surprise event for you

Boo boo boo I'll be really happy because of you

The thought of it makes my heart flutter

I'll try to do every one a day with you

I'm so happy to be with you

I'm so happy we both are together

You're a real treasure to me, baby baby baby baby baby boo~ yeah~

 His deep brown eyes are staring into mine while he sings. Again he flashes that bright smile and I couldn’t help but to feel calm. Nearing me now, he stretches out his hand for me to take. Without even hesitating, I interlocked my fingers with his and looked forward to the crowd.  My eyes land on a random table, which just so happens to be where the red-haired guy from earlier is sitting in. He grins widely and quickly pulls out the same camera and the shutter flashes. I flinch slightly in response and immediately look back to Yoseob, scared for more flahes and candid shots.

I've been alone on my birthday

I've had nothing do on the weekend

But I'm eagerly looking forward to such named days

I grip tightly onto my mic, anxious now because it’s my part again. Yoseob squeezes my hand and I was able to sing properly.

I'm so happy to be with you, I'm so happy we both are together

He closes his eyes, and harmonizes with my voice.

Wherever we are, or whatever we do

I took in a deep breath and his voice comes out in almost a whisper.

I really want us to be one

I smile, meeting his gaze before turning back to the crowd.

Everyday what I really try to do with you, is to tell you, "I love you"

What I really want to hear from you, is such a word, "I love you"

Thank you for coming to me

I'm so happy to be with you

You are my only love, baby baby baby baby baby boo~

Baby baby baby baby boo~

The music stops and we both bow. A loud applause soon follows along with cheers and hollers. My mouth curves into a genuine smile and I felt contented. I turn to my side as Yoseob lets go of my hand. I almost forgot about the fact that I was still gripping onto him tightly. My cheeks flush in embarrassment but thankfully he was no longer looking.

“Khamsamida!” he says through the mic. “Jiyeonie and Wooyoung-ssi, congratulations on your wedding!” And with that he exits the stage. I follow soon after as I thank the crowd once again and give my respects to the newlywed couple. 

 


My last update for 2012! Guys, its almost 2013 so HAPPY NEW YEAR! :D gotta sleep TT_TT nightt~

Kinda late but Merry Christmas^^ 

Thanks for commenting and subbing :D Nevertheless, I love all my readers <3