Chapter 7

Will I get through this?

 

 

I was waiting in the parking lot, just like how Suzy had told me to do. She had given me specific instructions to wait by a silver car with the plate number ‘BTR- 766’. I did and it’s been a while now; the parking lot was already beginning to empty itself.

 A large group begins to make its way close to me. I recognized them immediately when I noticed the flaming red hair of one of the guys. My eyes wander among them and I notice my partner. He was absorbed in a conversation with a blond haired guy that was wearing sunglasses. Both of them are walking towards my direction. I bite my lip, feeling anxious all of a sudden. I cower away from them, afraid that he’ll notice me. Footsteps gradually grew louder. That’s when the thought hit me. What if this car belongs to him? Just thinking about it made me even more nervous.

“Jieun-ssi?” someone asks from behind me. I pretend to put away my phone, as if I had been talking to someone. I turn around. The two had separated, leaving me alone with just one and yup, it was him. Not the blondie with the sunglasses, but him, my partner. My eyebrows scrunch up as I wonder how he found out my name. We never really had a formal introduction.

Anxious, I reply, “deh?”

He smiles broadly and extends his hand. “Yoseob inmida,” he chirps, “Kikwang’s friend.” I nod, taking his hand hesitantly. He laughs at the awkward situation, finally dropping his hand to his side. He reaches into his pocket and pulls out a key. After pressing the unlock button, he opens the passenger door. He gives me a warm smile and signals me to go in, “Kikwang called me earlier. Hop on, I’ll take you there.”

I give him a bow as I walk closer. “Thank you,” I mutter, earning a dimply smile from him. Once I’ve fully settled myself, he closes the door and hurries over to the driver’s side. But before he was able to get inside, a woman with brown wavy hair calls his name.

“Yang Yoseob!” shouts the girl. Yoseob turns to her voice.

“Wae?” he asks. Instead of replying, the girl chucks him a pink camera. Yoseob catches it in surprise. “Yah, Kim Hyuna! Learn to hand things properly will you?!” The girl just rolls her eyes.

“Check it, pretty boy!” she laughs, “Hyunseung took them but remember, it’s my camera!”

“Arraesso!” he laughs. “Thanks princess,” he calls after mockingly. Then he finally gets inside the car while looking at the contents of the camera at the same time. He closes the door and before he buckles up, he hands me the camera. “Hey look,” he tells me with a smile, “this shot is gorgeous.” I take the camera from him as he puts on his seatbelt and turns on the engine. I look at the picture curiously.

“This is…” I trail off as I observe the picture. I had expected it to be a picture of my sister and Wooyoung, seeing how it is their wedding. However, it wasn’t that. It was a stolen shot of me instead, walking down the aisle with a genuine smile. My cheeks flush as I took in his compliment. “Thanks,” I mumble.

A chuckle escapes his lips, “No need, I was just saying the truth.” It was silent for a moment as we begin to enter the road. However he was quick to break it. “Hey, I know it’s weird to ask but staying quiet when something’s bugging me isn’t really my nature,” he explains, “what happened earlier?” he finally asks.

I dug my nails in my palm, not willing to reply. I sat there debating, whether or not to lie. I try to stall him, “What do you mean?”

“When I saw you the first time,” he says carefully. “At the bus, had you been crying?” he asks. I remain quiet for a long while. “Umm…it’s ok if you don’t want to tell me. I mean, you probably feel uncomfortable with me being a stranger and all,” he then stops as if he was debating. “Hmm… then let’s not talk about it,” he looks at me as the car stops in front of the red light. “I don’t want you avoiding me since I really wanted to get to know you," he then pauses. "Let's be friends?” he asks, examining my face. I had been taken aback at his attitude. Really, if he had been curious about it, wouldn't it be normal to just squeeze me for the information he wants? I look at him curiously. He was still looking at me, but now he was pouting. I couldn't help but chuckle. How much more childish can he get?

“Thanks Yoseob-ssi,” I smile, “I’d love to be your friend.”

He smiles widely, “Really?” I nod, giggling. “It’s settled then! We’re officially friends!” He exclaims with a grin, looking back at the road as the street lamp flashes back to green.