Chapter 3

Will I get through this?

 

I sigh heavily as I reach the doorstep of our house. This is it, I say to myself. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. Already I can feel my hands getting colder and my legs going softer. I’ve got to calm myself down before I see my sister. I really hope I won’t breakdown when I see her. Finally ready, I pressed the doorbell and waited for someone to answer the door. Thankfully, my dad came to open it. He looks as nervous as I am, if not even more. I can tell by the stone expression on his face. He was already ready in his tux but his tie was out of place. I smile at him reassuringly and let myself in.

“Dad, you think you’ll be alright?” I ask him with a smile. He sighs heavily. I set the bouquet down on a safe place and go back to where my dad was.

“I don’t know Jieun-ie. I don’t want you to grow up like your sister,” he answers me truthfully, looking down at the hardwood floor of the living room.

“Come on, Dad. I’ll always be your little girl,” I hug him to lessen his tension. He puts his arms around me and I felt myself also calming. He pats my head the way he used to when I was a child. I felt myself in a deep breath to control my emotions. I break away from our hug to look at my Dad. His warm almond eyes were watery and his thin lips were set in a straight line. “Aww, Dad. Look at you! You look so young in your suit! We don’t want to ruin the fabric with tears now, right?” I sniffle as I hand him a tissue.

“You’re right,” he says, gaining composure. “You should go upstairs to get ready now. Your mom is on the loose today. She might scream at you again.”

I chuckled at his statement. “Alright, dad. Let me just fix your tie. It’s crooked.” I readjust the knot in the tie and set it to the middle. “There.”

“Thanks Jieun-ah,” he says to me smiling. He kisses my forehead before I run upstairs to go get ready

I had just finished my shower and had only a bathrobe on and a towel wrapped around my head. Most of the girls from earlier had cleared out of the guest room and are now chit-chatting downstairs, giving me my room all to myself. The noise level has gone down considerably and I was able to finally feel more comfortable. I hate loud and crowded places. I always feel drowned out because of the noise. Wooyoung was always there to hold my hand and made sure I feel safe in the crowds. How I wish our relationship won’t change because of his wedding, though it already did start to fall apart months ago. Maybe it’s just me who continues to live in this unreal fantasy where we’re still the closest friends.

I stared at the short, scrawny, pale-skinned girl looking back at me at the mirror. No wonder Woyoungie  picked my sister. I’m just a dull, average girl while JiYeon has the looks, body and dynamic attitude. She deserves more than I do and her wedding is just another that I should learn to accept.

 I walked to my closet with a different mind-set. I’m not letting this wedding bring me down. Opening one of the drawers, I pulled out a fresh tank and a pair of shorts. I quickly pulled them on and removed the towel on my damp hair. Then, taking a brush with me, I went to the guest room to find my mom who’s supposed to have brought my dress to my room. She was on the phone, probably talking to the wedding planner. I clear my throat and she turns around, acknowledging my presence. She holds up her finger and signals me to wait. Then after a few minutes she finally hangs up. She walks to the pile of dresses on the bed and frantically begins to search.

“Jieun-ah, get your make-up done while I look for your dress,” she informs with her back turned. “Oh, and check up on your sister please. She’s been dying to see you since this morning.”

I flinch after her last comment. I really wanted to avoid my sister unless necessary. “Yes mom,” I ended, sighing.I trudged towards my sister’s room where I presumed where she would be at. With shaking hands, I try to turn the knob. It clicks and I knew I can’t turn back anymore. I took a deep breath and calmed my senses as much as I can. I open the door carefully as much as possible. Little by little, the scene in her room is being revealed. There wasn’t much people there; just her and a make-up artist. She had her eyes closed and she was muttering to the make-up artist. The lady just laughs politely. I look at the make-up artist and she clears .

“Miss Jiyeon?” she asks, “You’re sister’s here to see you.”

Jiyeon’s eyes opens immediately. She nods to the lady and the lady exits the room. I slowly walk inside, closing the door behind with a light click. I stop walking as I reach her halfway and genuinely gave her a smile.

“So, it’s D-day huh?” I chuckle, trying to lighten the mood. However she doesn’t respond. Instead, runs up to me and hugs me tightly.

“Jieun-ah, I’m so scared!” she exclaims. I pat her back comfortingly. “I don’t know what to do! I mean I’ve always envisioned this but now, I’m so scared to actually go through with it!”

I smile, “Jiyeon, I’m sure you can do it. You’ve always been the brave one. I know you’ll get through this.” I sighed after. In my head, my words backfired at me. Will I be able to do it? Can I be the brave one? More importantly, can I get through this without running away? Jiyeon pulls away from our hug, bringing my attention back to her.

“You’re right. I can do this. You don’t know how lost I’d be without you,” she says sincerely. “Thanks Jieun-ah. For making this happen.”

I stiffen after hearing her words. With all the effort I could muster, I tried to keep the smile plastered on my face. “Anytime unnie.”

Jiyeon tugs on my arm and brings me to the vanity. A grin is still plastered on her perfect face. “Get ready here with me,” she says excited, “I’ve got LOTS to tell you.” 

 


Hello :D I'm back with a long update! I promise another update no later than the next day as long as you guys vote for BEAST in MAMA! Come on guys, let's beat 'em SUJU boys ! Anyway comment and subscribe! For my reader in 'Working for Acknowledgement', ideas for that story would also be appreciated lol :P I don't know how I'll continue the story from there since I've branched off too much from the plot already lol :P