Chapter 6

Will I get through this?

 

Following his lead, I take steps forward as the people before us start to move. I tried to keep up with his his pace as I lift my head to survey my surroundings. Indeed there were a lot of people, mostly from my side of the family however. They were watching us with curious eyes and some even bothered to film the scene. As I looked around, I caught sight of Suzy, a close friend of mine. I relaxed a bit when I see her smile at me. Thankfully she had bothered to sit at the front so I wouldn’t have to suffer sitting beside my sister’s friends. It’s not that I don’t like them, it’s just our really affects how we see each other. Suzy gives me a thumbs up, making me smile. Just at that moment, she pulls out her phone and I see her grin. She must’ve taken a shot. As we get near her she winks at me and I finally look away. However as I do, I immediately regretted it.

There was Wooyoung in his dashing white suit. His hands were hidden behind his back but it was obvious that he was nervous. Being his best friends for years, I know how it is when his jaws are clenched. He was never the one to say it but through experience I knew that it was a sign of his anxiety. As much as I wish to be there for him, I couldn’t. This was probably the closest I could ever get to him. His eyes flicker to mine and I painfully tried to smile.

He sees my smile and returns it after a while.  He continues to keep his gaze locked to mine, making me feel uncomfortable. Without me even realizing it, my hold on my partner’s arm has tightened and my partner glances at me. Surprised, I look away from Wooyoung and looked at him. He had an urgent look on his face.

“Erm, can I go?” he whispers. I realize we were already at the front of the altar. My eyes widen in surprise and my cheeks blush in embarrassment as I let go of his arm.

“Sorry,” I mumble as we walk away in opposite directions. I hear a light chuckle as I settle on my seat. I immediately look away when he looks at me. My cheeks have yet to cool down.

The wedding service continued normally. I tried my best to drown myself from what was happening. Though it was challenging, I did my best not to notice Wooyoung’s gaze on my sister. Despite the jealousy that was killing me inside, I tried to appear happy and congratulating. I couldn’t bear to look sad knowing my sister would be upset. I promised her my full acknowledgement.

"Will you honor each other as man and wife for the rest of your lives?" the priest’s voice booms over the speakers, signalling the time for the wedding vows.

“I will,” both of them respond. Wooyoung then turns to face Jiyeon. For a moment our eyes meet, and I began digging my nails in my palms.

Wooyoung grabs a hold of Jiyeon’s hand and gazes at her warmly. “I, Jang Wooyoung, take you, Lee Jiyeon, to be my wife. I promise to be true to you in good times and in bad, in sickness and in health. I will love you and honor you all the days of my life.” There was a moment of pause and I took it as a chance to look around to find Suzy. I felt myself holding breath, as I looked to where I found her earlier. She wasn’t there.

“I, Lee Jiyeon, take you, Jang Wooyoung, to be my husband. I promise to be true to you in good times and in bad, in sickness and in health. I will love you and honor you all the days of my life,” she replies, her voice clear from the speakers. I looked back at the couple although my breathing was still strained, knowing it was strange to be searching the crowd at this time. Then, I notice the guy from earlier looking at me concerned.

Are you ok? I saw him mouth the words. He continues to look worried as he waited for my response. Sighing, I give him an ok signal with my hands. In return, he flashes me his dimples. Soon enough it was time to end the wedding ceremony. The priest had given his blessing to the married couple, and he was already signalling its end. Around me, the crowd is beginning to simmer and murmur between one another.

“You may now kiss the bride,” the priest announces.

There was a moment of silence as everyone stops to catch their breath. I look back again, wanting to find Suzy at this most urgent moment. Thankfully, I was able to spot her within the crowd. She sees me and immediately tries to squeeze her way nearer to the front. I twitch my leg nervously as I chanted her name under my breath. The girl sitting next to me gasps and I quickly turned back to the altar to see what surprised her. Wooyoung was caressing Jiyeon’s cheek and had his arms around her waist. Everyone was feeling tense, waiting for him to make the move. I on the other hand, felt frozen. He was leaning closer now, never leaving his eyes off of her lips. My breath hitches and I find myself clenching my fists. However, just before their lips touch, I felt someone grab my arm. I immediately turn back.

“I made it,” Suzy pants. She clutches on my arm, and yanks on it. “Come with me!” she exclaims. Without even giving me a warning, she tugs me until I finally end up being dragged.

“Suzy-ah! I’m fine, I promise! Let’s go back! They’re going to be looking for me again!” I say in a panicked tone, trying to free my arm from her surprisingly strong hold.

“No! I just need you for one second!” she argues, pulling me farther from my spot. She maneuvers her way skillfully through the bridesmaids and we finally reach the corner of the church.

“What is it?!” I ask her urgently. We have to get ready for the recessional pretty soon. I switch my head back in forth from her to the bridesmaids, fidgeting as the newlyweds began to get ready to exit the church.

Looking nervous she clears . “Don’t get mad at me. I’ll get straight to the point,” she says, biting on her bottom lip. “I have to leave with Kikwang right away.Auntie says she needs me at the reception,” she says quickly. I widened my eyes.

“What?! Are you crazy?!” I exclaim at her. “I can’t go on the same limousine as my sister and Wooyoung! Suzy, how will I go to the reception?!” I scolded her.

“Don’t worry! Kikwang said his friend drove here! You can catch a ride with him,” she explains in the most convincing way possible.

“Suzy!” I cry out, feeling utterly betrayed.

Suzy coaxes me by rubbing my back. “Jieun, trust me on this. You know I’ll never fail you right?” she says calmingly. I tried to take controlled breaths. She smiles at me but her eyes immediately widen. “Go now! It’s your turn!” she pushes me away and the other bridesmaids move away for me to pass. Some even bothered to give my back a push so that I could hurry to the aisle. Finally, I make it with much difficulty.

“Sorry,” I mumble as I took up his arm with mine. I hear him laugh inwardly and I bothered to sneak a peek at his face. He was smiling brightly, looking amused as ever. I notice his smile broadened even more as his eyes land on something. I quickly followed his line of sight.

 It was a bright pink camera that was filming us. It belonged to a man with bright red hair and he was surrounded by other boys and girls. Noticing me, he looks up from the camera and with a toothy smile, he waves. Happily, I returned his smile and a bright flash emits from his camera. A chuckle erupts close to my ears and I felt myself being dragged to walk faster.

Pretty soon, we’ve reached the double doors of the church, free from being watched by the large crowd. I breathed out a sigh of relief and finally released my hold on his arm. I stepped back and gave him a slight bow, preparing myself to leave. He bows after and lastly he gives me his dimply smile before going off to meet his friends.