Chapter 11

Will I get through this?

 

hi guys! it's been a long time, so here's an update. Enjoy! :)


 

We exit through the side doors with her clinging tightly to my side. I had found us a bench, just slightly off the venue for her to rest. I tried to approach her several times, but I have yet to succeed. She refuses to look at me in the eye. Her breathing was unsteady as she gasps for air at regular intervals. Now, my dress shirt starts to feel damp. It was obvious to both me and her that she was trying her hardest to cover it up. Yet, she continues her façade, pretending to be oblivious to the situation. I shift uncomfortably to the side as a passer-by looks upon us strangely. It might as well have been a relative of hers and I was doing a great job at failing his impression. Way to have a scandal with the bride’s sister, especially as the best man.

A sigh escapes my lips and I reach out to rub her back comfortingly. However all of a sudden, she stops. Her breathing slows and her body relaxes. Her weight begins to press down on my chest and I panicked to check if she had lost consciousness. I carefully pull her up gently to check for her pulse. My fingers search to find that area in her neck, and thankfully I was able to locate the constant beating. I back away slightly and examined her face. Despite her tear stained cheeks, she looked as peaceful as a baby. She's pretty cute, I thought to myself. Not wanting to bother her sleep, I struggle to get up from my seat. She was seated uncomfortably and I had wanted to lay her down. However as soon as I carry her head, she stirs in her sleep. I stop for a moment as she squirms to position herself on my lap. I chuckle as she snuggles herself closer. 

“Oppa…” she mumbles, “Cold…”

I smile a little as she tries to steal some warmth from me. Then when she finds that she can’t, she whimpers in her sleep. Laughing now, I shrug off my jacket, trying not to disturb her as I place it on her.

“Better?” I ask, not really expecting a reply.  Instead she rolls over, in efforts of covering up all of her body. I smile, watching her child-like features as I decide to tuck her in. When she finally relaxes, I sit back and let loose of myself also.

I drift my attention from her sleeping face to the sky above me. It was serene and dark night. The sky was filled with stars and free of clouds.  I grin as I spot the Orion’s belt and Big Dipper up near the north. Following the end of the Big Dipper, I try to spot the Northern Star. A grin plasters on my face as I thought back to my days as a child and those times where I could easily spend a night out in the cold.

“Oh!” I exclaim loudly, almost waking up Jieun. There it is! The Northern Star was still there, shining all by itself. I pull out my phone and snapped a photo if it. I smile, admiring, it’s beauty. But that’s also when I realized I had spent a good thirty minutes just gazing above me.

“Ughhh,” Jieun grunts from below me. “It hurts…” she mutters, clutching on her head. She rolls over and her eyes open in surprise as she notices her surroundings.

“You’re awake!” I exclaim rather brightly. Her head turns swiftly to look at me and she jumps up to a sitting position. I chuckle lightly, “You fell asleep earlier. I think you were just too drunk. But don’t worry, nothing happened.”

Her eyes narrow into slits, as if accusing me. I raise my eyebrows innocently. “What happened? What do you mean by nothing?” she asks, her voice coming out hoarse.

I then think back to her breakdown, her constant clinging and in general, her intoxicated behaviour. If I say all this to her, wouldn’t I be making things more uncomfortable than they already are? Besides, I wouldn’t want to be put in a situation where I know more than I should. I cough lightly, “Just nothing. You were drunk. You fell onto the arms of a stranger and insisted you were feeling stuffy. I took you outside like you told me to. Then you fell asleep.”

 She looks away from me, and stares at her feet with an expression that I couldn’t quite read. With her face turned away from me, she sighs gravely. “Thank you,” she mutters, “and I’m sorry.”

“No biggie!” I chuckle as I stand up from the bench. She looks up at me curiously as others often do when I’m in such a giddy mood. “I’ll call Kikwang now. Tell him you’re nice and safe,” I say as I pull out my phone.

“Thanks,” she says with her voice dry, followed by a series of coughs. I watch her in concern as I wait for Kikwang to pick up. Her head must still be pounding since she continues to rub circles on her temples. I frown at the sight.

“Oh! Yoseob-ah!” Kikwang exclaims as soon as the ring tone cuts. “Where are you?”

“I’m outside right now. Don’t worry, I’m with Jieun-ssi and she’s safe. She fell asleep a while ago but now she’s awake. Will you come meet us?” I ask.

“Ahh…gurae?But, I can’t come right now. I’m really busy. Mianhe, can you just take Jieun home for me? I’ll let her parents know,” he answers.

I remain silent for a while as I debated. Jieun was watching me nearby, so I turn away and lowered my voice. “Kwangie…I don’t know… Now’s really not the time… And Dongwoonie, I can’t just leave him. He’s having a bad stomach-ache.”

“Yoseob, I don’t know what you’re talking about,” Kikwang sighs, and then pauses for a bit. “But, whatever you’re saying…get over it, buddy. Just bring Dongwoon along. Besides from what you told us, isn’t Jieun like your ideal type? Dude, she’s got that long black hair, milky skin and she’s cute. What’s wrong with you man? Grow some balls!” he exclaims.

I grunt in annoyance and opened my mouth to protest. “Yah Lee Gi-“

“Sorry, man. Gotta go, saranghae!” he says in that irritating aegyo voice of his.

I sigh deeply, preparing myself to go back. A cold breeze blows past me, causing me to shiver slightly. Damn, it’s chilly! I wrap my arms around me as I walk back to Jieun who was waiting patiently while staring at her feet. She was still wearing my jacket and I couldn’t help but smile at her petite figure. I stop short in front of her, causing her to look up.

“Ready to go?” I ask her. She tilts her head cutely at the side, confused at what I ask her. “Err… Kikwang told me he’s busy. He asked me if I could take you home instead. Do you mind?”

I rub my neck, feeling uncomfortable and stalker-like all of sudden. I never planned for all this to happen, but they just happened to turn out this way. Awkwardly, I wait for her reply. Instead she looks past me, her attention now divided.

“Sure…” she mumbles, not even bothering to look at me. “Sorry Yoseob-ssi, just give me a second please.” Then with that she runs off. 

 

 


Thanks for reading! Love you all readers, subscribers  <3 

Care to share your thoughts, just comment down below. ^^ 

Bye!