Chapter 15

Will I get through this?

 

IU POV

I jump slightly, surprised by the sudden yank of my arm. Beside me, Yoseob remains stiff and rooted in his place with his back turned against me. With his hand still tightly linked with mine, I couldn’t get him to move a step. I frown, wondering what’s holding him up.

Cranking my neck to see past him, I notice a girl he was conversing with. As far as I can recall, she isn’t any of my sister’s friends. I frown, my memory struggling to remember if she is familiar. She had light brown wavy hair that falls just below her chest, almost similar to the length of mine. I examine her face carefully, taking in the fierce look that she pulled off despite the friendly aura that she carried around with her.

Her fine lips curve into a smile while her eyes arch into half-moons when she sees me. Politely, I return the smile.

Yoseob, now realizing that I’m still here, introduces me to his friend. “Jieun-ah, this is my friend, Gayoon,” he clears his throat awkwardly.

I nod, extending my hand.  “I’m the sister of the bride; Yoseob forgot to mention,” I grin, “Nice to meet you.”

Gayoon nods, accepting my hand with both of her small childlike ones. I was almost surprised when I notice that they were very much similar to mine. “Nice to meet you,” she says sincerely, “I’d love stay and chat but I have to go soon. I just wanted to say hi before leaving.” Her eyes shift back at Yoseob.

“You’re leaving?” Yoseob repeats. Gayoon nods, her eyes fixed on him. He fiddles with his fingers, tickling the back of my hand. I shift my weight uncomfortably, wanting to say something but finding that I can’t.  Yoseob eyes me as I squirm and he heaves a heavy sigh. “Alright,” Yoseob says, finally breaking the silence. “I guess I’ll see you some other time.”

I stop, thinking I was the cause of her leaving. Feeling responsible, I decide to interrupt. “Um…” I cut off, earning both their attentions. “They’re about to throw the bouquet. You’re welcome to join if you’d like to stay just for five more minutes,” I offer.

Yoseob's index finger taps the back of my hand. I look at him questioningly but he seems to be unaware. I begin to wonder.  As I add up all his small and unnoticeable actions- the stiffness, fiddling, and tapping- I begin to conclude that he was nervous. I steal a glance at his face agian and sure enough, his jaw was clenched despite the grin he had on his face. A thought starts to itch its way to my head, begging me to ask their relationship with each other. Nevertheless, I throw it aside and give his hand a small squeeze.  The tapping stops. “Yeah,” he agrees, “just for five more minutes.” While the silence continues, the fiddling begins.

Gayoon bites on her bottom lip. The grip on my hand tightens. “I can’t,” she breathes, “Doojoon’s waiting in the car.” I felt his knuckles harden. Oh, I mutter silently. 

“I see,” Yoseob replies. All his hopes were out of him. I caress the back of his hand empathetically. My worry to him was sincere. His hand comes loose but a smile continues to stay plastered on his mouth.  Surprisingly enough, his voice continues to carry the same cheer and happiness. “Tell hyung to drive safe for me.” Raising the same hand that he used to hold mine, he caresses Gayoon’s hair. “And…don’t be a stranger,” he mutters, a sigh weighing down his message at the end.

Gayoon captures his hand and stares up at his face. Yoseob gives a small smile. “I’ll see you around Yoseobie,” she replies.

A friendly hug and she retreats.

Silence soon follows. The wind blows harshly and a cough escapes me. I steal a glance at Yoseob, noticing his anxious expression. He was clenching his hands into tight fists, his knuckles protruding white.

“Yoseob,” I call after him.

He flinches, almost as if he was woken up from a daze. I rub his back comfortingly. “You alright?” I ask him, “You look like you just had a nightmare.”

He coughs, rubbing his neck awkwardly. “I’m ok. I just want to get this over with and go home. Let’s go?”

I nod stiffly, hooking my arm around his elbow and letting him lead the way.

Yoseob POV

With the ceremony and reception finally over, I trudged back to the driver’s side of my car after I had Jieun settled. I pull open the car door, ready to step in when I hear my voice being called. True enough, the same voice repeats itself.

“Yo, Yoseob!” greets the nasally voice.

 I crane my head past the roof of my car to meet Hyunseung’s eyes. I grin, stepping away the driver’s door. Hyunseung walks over and while he makes his way, I check inside the car to make sure Jieun was comfortable. She had her head leaned against the window with her eyes firmly shut. In efforts of catching up the lost sleep, I advised her to at least close her eyes. After much retaliation, she finally passed out. Clearly, rest hasn’t been a part of her lifestyle lately.

A heavy hand slaps me on my arm and I immediately jump away from the source.  My side makes contact with the edge of my car door, sending a small jolt of pain to my spine. “Ouch,” I groan, rubbing the sore area.

“Oops,” the voice giggles. I look up to find redhead Hyuna with the matching redhead Hyunseung. I clicked my tongue at her, sending a grin to her face. I can only smile back bitterly as I let her get away from slapping me. “Yoseob-oppa, annyeong!” she squeals.

I nod, walking closer to the couple. I put a finger on my lips, signalling them to lower their voices. They both exchange curious glances with each other.

“Why do we have to be quiet?” Hyunseung whispers in a hushed tone. I peek inside the car, gasping for a moment when Jieun shifts in her seat. Hyunseung forms an O with his lips, while Hyuna giggles.

“That’s the girl from earlier,” Hyuna murmurs in Hyunseung’s ear. Hyunseung stares at her longer and finally brightens with realization. I raise an eyebrow and nudge Hyuna on the elbow. She winks at me and tilts her head towards the direction of my car. “You hitting it off with her?” she asks me with a suggestive grin.

Hyunseung gasps, “No way.”

I roll my eyes in annoyance. “I’m not. I’m taking her home,” I reply, unamused.

Hyuna smirks, nudging Hyunseung yet again causing him to double over. “Yoseob-”he starts but I cut him off.

“Hyung, that’s not what I meant!” I explain frantically, “She’s Jiyeon’s sister for God’s sake. Not to mention, Wooyoung’s best friend too.”

They both eye me carefully, and I can only stare back with equal seriousness. Hyunseung finally sighs, and Hyuna chuckles. “Yoseob-ah, it’s fine you know. There’s no problem if you want to go ahead with a girl, but-”

I stop him again. “It’s fine, hyung. Like I said, I’m only bringing her to her house and I’ll be going to mine.”

He nods, patting me on the shoulder. “Well, the night’s still young. We’re planning on going to the club and we just dropped by to invite you. The guys want you to come join us, so text me alright?”

I nod, “Alright, hyung. I’ll see if I can come.”

"You can bring her along too," he winks along with Hyuna.

What a couple, I mutter to myself quietly. With a smile, I shake my head rejectingly. "I told you already, I'm not hitting on her." 

 Hyunseung grins, waving as he leaves. The couple was just a couple ways away when Hyuna stops and tells Hyunseung to continue without her. Likewise, I was just about to enter my car when she calls me. In her high heels, she runs to my car and stops just before me.

“I forgot to tell you something,” she pants. “Gayoon-unnie was looking for you earlier. Did you see her?”

“Yeah. I did,” I reply.

Hyuna glances at me as she bites her bottom lip, hesitating to continue. “I don’t know if I should say this,” she mutters quietly to herself. I stare at her as she takes a deep breath. “Doojoon-oppa, he’s serious with unnie isn’t he?”

I sigh, looking at Hyuna’s worried eyes. “Of course,” I lie, not sure so myself. Hyuna exhales, staring at her feet. I gently caress the top of her head. “Don’t worry Hyuna,” I whisper quietly, “I won’t let him break her heart.”

 


Helloooo!

Thanks to all my subscribers for giving this story so much support :D Don't worry, I'll try to post the next chapter soon ^^

Remember for any thoughts... like what font i should use :P ...  there's a comment section, you guys can just talk to me ;D 

That's all for now, THANKS FOR READING! :D 

Bye~