A Dream?

It Could Never Be Too Late

 

 
 
 
No One's POV
-Youngbae's Dorm-
 
 
Youngbae woke up to the sound of his cellphone going off. Rubbing his eyes, he shiftlessly sat up from his bed and grabbed his phone from the night table.
 
 
It was a text message from Chaerin.
 
 
To: Youngbae
From: Chaerin
 
 
Oppa... Today's the day.
 
 
"Aigoo..." He placed his right hand on the right side of his forehead. He then replied to the message.
 
 
To: Chaerin
From: Youngbae
 
 
Yes, I know.
 
 
Right after he sent the message, Chaerin responded almost in an instant.
 
 
To: Youngbae
From: Chaerin
 
 
Are you coming?
 
 
He scratched the back of his head.
 
 
To: Chaerin
From: Youngbae
 
 
I'll cya there, arasso?
 
 
He had decided upon attending the wedding. It had dreaded him to make such a hasty decision, but he wanted to see Dara one more time before he could no longer call her his.
 
 
To: Youngbae
From: Chaerin
 
 
... Okay, oppa.
 
 
After that, Youngbae didn't bother replying. He forced himself out of bed and took a shower. 
 
 
---
 
 
He got dressed, and as he buttoned up his dress shirt, he faced the mirror with a straight face.  Over and over again, he felt a sharp pinch in his heart as soon as he thought of the wedding. Straightening his vest as he put it on, he took one last glance at the mirror, and exited his room. He had a quick breakfast, scavenging around any left overs from the fridge, then took off.
 
 
---
 
 
Since the church was within walking distance, he chose to walk instead of driving his car. He looked at his watch, and noticed that the wedding was about to start in half an hour. As he continued to stroll down the streets, he would alternatively look at the cars that drove by and at the dozens of people who surrounded the area.
 
 
-The Church-
 
About a few minutes later, he reached the steps of the capacious church. He squinted his eyes as he gazed at the building in front of him. Up on the very top, he could see the sun that hid behind the steeple, shining brightly. He then continued onwards and approached some of the guests who were standing outside, greeting them with a warm smile. 
 
 
"Hey, Bae!" One of the guests called.
 
 
Youngbae recognized him as one of his friends during his trainee days. He went up to him, and gave him a brotherly hug. 
 
 
"Hey, hyung. I haven't seen you in ages!" Bae teased.
 
 
He chuckled. "Well, that's because you decided to leave me and everyone else to work in America!"
 
 
Youngbae could only laugh. 
 
 
"Anyways, I have to go get something in my car. I'll see you inside, okay?" His friend said, and in response, Youngbae nodded.
 
 
After that, Bae walked towards the front entrance. He took a deep breath before going in, and when he entered the church, he could hear various people chattering. Undoubtably, he could hear Dara's voice. He looked to his right, past a bouquet of flowers, and there she was, sitting within a visible distance.
 
 
Unintentionally, Dara looked out the door, facing the hallway, and saw Youngbae. She froze for a moment, but Youngbae flashed a smile for her sake. Inside, she felt surprised that he was here, nonetheless, she grinned at him.
 
 
Youngbae could feel his heart beat faster each time he blinked his eyes because he couldn't get over the fact that she looked beyond beautiful in her wedding dress. He was looking at a princess, his princess. 
 
 
 Surprisingly enough, Dara excused herself from the room, and approached Youngbae.
 
 
Noticing that she was coming closer, his throat dried up, and he felt nervous.
 
 
"You came..." She said as she let out a breath of air.
 
 
"For you..." he answered straightforwardly,"Err.. I mean," Youngbae rubbed the back of his neck. He had never stumbled with his words in front of her before. "I came here to support you." The words finally came out of his mouth.
 
 
Dara giggled at his nervousness, but she couldn't shake off the feeling of guilt in her mind. She hasn't been able to talk face to face with him after what happened at the engagement party.
 
 
'After what I've said to him... After all the pain I've seen him go through for me... He's still here.' She thought to herself. In another time, she would've dropped everything and chose him over Jiyong, but she felt like she didn't deserve him anymore. He was way too good for her, and she knew that it was too late.
 
 
Lost in her thoughts, Dara didn't even realize that Youngbae took her hand.
 
 
"Dara," He started, snapping Dara back into reality. She was startled by his action, but totally forgot all about it when he planted a kiss on her forehead. "I'm happy for you," was all he could say. A tear rolled down his cheek, but he stayed strong and hugged her. "Forgive me for what I did to you.... to Jiyong... For all the things I did wrong, but I promise, after today, you'll never have to worry about me getting in the way of you and him anymore. "He pulled away from the hug, and tried as best as he could to hide away his feelings. 
 
 
All along, Dara's tears ran down like crazy. She blamed herself for everything that happened. Maybe if she didn't leave to study abroad, none of this would've ever happened.
 
 
Realizing that her make up was starting to run, Youngbae gently wiped her tears away with his thumb. "I didn't mean to make you cry."
 
 
She sniffed. "It's okay, Bae. I know you didn't." She felt so distracted that she had forgotten that her wedding was staring in nearly fifteen minutes.
 
 
"Love?" A man's voice called behind Youngbae. Instinctively, Youngbae claimed his hands back to his sides, knowing that the man was no other than Jiyong.
 
 
Jiyong hurriedly ran up to Dara. "Are you okay?? Why are you crying?" Without waiting for a reply, he looked at Youngbae, who just stood there staring at him back.
 
 
"What did you do to her this time?" Jiyong accused.
 
 
Youngbae's eyes pierced at him. "What makes you think that I did anything to her?"
 
 
"Are you guys really doing this here? Now?" Dara asked irritably. "The past is the past... Let it go."
 
 
"Honey," Jiyong started.
 
 
"The wedding's starting, Jiyong. I think it's best if you go get to where you're supposed to be."
 
 
Annoyed, Jiyong left to get ready, leaving Youngbae and Dara alone again.
 
 
"You should get going, too, Dara. You are the bride after all." Youngbae said.
 
 
She nodded. "I'll go ahead then."
 
 
As she walked back towards her designated room, she turned around to look at Youngbae. 
 
 
"Thank you... For being here." She added, then she continued in her direction.
 
 
A smile formed on Bae's face. 
 
 
"Of course." He replied, barely audible.
 
 
---
 
 
Before anyone knew it, the wedding had begun. The piano was playing, and the melody had echoed throughout the entire building. Bouquets of bright, red and white roses were set up on each aisle, which Dara had chosen herself, and the decorations were elegant and classy.
 
 
When the bride was in sight, everyone fell silent, and all eyes were on her. All the guests grinned at the bride's appearance. She really was a princess. Her white dress flowed just right, and it had hugged her body in all the right places. She tried her best walking through the aisle without stumbling or anything. She felt so nervous at the moment. Dara looked straightforward at the alter to avoid any eye contact with anybody, but it didn't help her at all. But as soon as her eyes laid on his eyes, she found comfort, and she was no longer in her panicky state. His genuine smile was enough to bring her to peace, and she couldn't help smiling at him back. He then transitioned his gaze over at the groom, making her smile fade when she realized that she wasn't looking at Jiyong. She was looking at Youngbae.
 
 
When she was finally side by side with her husband-to-be, she glanced behind her to take one more look at Youngbae, but when she did, she noticed that he wasn't smiling anymore, and that he had this disappointed look on his face. 
 
 
Well, he was disappointed. He had hoped and prayed that she would've chose him instead of Jiyong, but who was he kidding? He secretly left his spot, and escaped into the balcony, so that he wouldn't have to be there when Dara and Jiyong exchange their vows. He stared into space, trying his best to distract himself, until he heard someone speak.
 
 
"My son..." The familiar voice spoke.
 
 
It was the voice that he hasn't heard from in so long. The voice that he has missed so much. "U-umma?" Youngbae turned around.
 
 
Undoubtedly, it was his mother. She sat beside him as she laid her hand on his, giving it a squeeze, reassuring him of her presence. Without questioning her sudden appearance, Youngbae rested his head on her shoulder, looking for comfort.
 
 
"Bae, I know that life hasn't always been the greatest for you... Especially, after I passed, but I want you to know that I've always been looking out for you. And right now, I know you're having the hardest time, but there's always a bright side to everything." His umma explained as she caressed his back.
 
 
"What's the bright side to this, umma? Because I'm not really seeing one." Youngbae said.
 
 
"You know, everyone gets a second chance... It could never be too late, darling." She paused for a moment. "All you have to do is wake up..."
 
 
"What do you mean wake up?"
 
---
 
 
"Wake up."
 
 
"Oppa..."
 
 
"Oppa, wake up!! We're gonna be late for our flight!" Someone yelled as she shook a sleeping Youngbae up.
 
 
--------------
 
 
Wait... WHAT?! So is it all a dream?!! Kekeke... I know this update is long overdue, but here it is!
 
 
Comments will be appreciated, and subscribers will be LOVED! 'Til then my fellow, lovely readers!