A Broken Heart

It Could Never Be Too Late
 
 
 
 
No One's POV
-Rooftop(YG Building)-
 
 
 
It's a clear, chilly evening on a November night, three days since the unforgettable incident that had occurred during Dara and Jiyong's engagement party. Mr. Park was furious that the two boys were being so irresponsible, yet it frustrated him when he found out the truth behind it. Jiyong and Youngbae are still not in speaking terms. After what happened that night, Youngbae was restless. He recollected the events that happened that night. Dara's words haunted him. Hoping to find some peace and quiet, he decided to hang out on the rooftop of the YG building. He stared off into the sky, he viewed the panorama of the busy city. As he laid his forearms at the edge of the building, he sighed. He could see his breath form in the cold air as it drifted off into the open atmosphere.
 
 
To pass time, he brought his notepad along so he could write the lyrics for the song he created back in the states. The songwriter hummed the beats of the song as he wrote, and tapped his pen simultaneously.
 
 
He proceeded to write, pouring out all of his thoughts:
 
 
... My heart aches behind these shadows
My face brightens up as I see your smile
I worry that you might notice my feelings
And I get scared that the gap between us would widen
I hold my breath
Then I bite my lips
Then I would pray that she would leave his side...
 
 
The words just started to flow:
 
 
... You, who never understood my feelings
Because of that, I ended up despising you
Then I wished a misfortune upon you
But now my eyes are dry
I try to talk to you, but I realized that I'm alone
Every night, I would look back and think
If I already knew the results
Then I close my eyes
Then dream an endless dream...
 
 
Naturally, Youngbae started to sing along to his lyrics.
 
 
"Baby, please don’t hold those hands
Cuz you should be my lady
Please look at me, I’ve been waiting all this time. Once the music ends, you’ll be with him forever
I prayed and prayed that this day wouldn’t come... The wedding dress you once wore..."
 
 
His harmonic voice was so clear, yet it was easy to figure out that he was heart broken inside.
 
 
Without evening realizing it, a man suddenly crept up through the open door behind his back, and started clapping his hands.
 
 
Startled by the sudden movement, Youngbae hurriedly hid the notebook behind his back as he turned around to face the man standing by the door. 
 
 
He was tense, at first, but eased up a bit, knowing that it was only Mr. Park.
 
 
 
"Oh hey, appa." Youngbae greeted in a casual tone.
 
 
"You wrote that?" He asked, pointing at the notepad that Youngbae attempted to hide.
 
 
Following his gaze, he took out the notepad.
 
 
"Yeah." He replied.
 
 
There was a brief pause.
 
 
"You're really good, son."
 
 
Youngbae forced a smile, and bit his lip.
 
 
"Thank you."
 
 
Mr. Park rubbed his neck, trying to find a way to start a conversation with him.
 
 
"Bae? Can we talk?"
 
 
He nodded his head in response. Both men headed for the ledge of the building and faced the open sky.
 
 
"Look, appa, I'm sorry for what happened a few days ago. I know it was uncalled for, but if you expect me to apologize to Jiyong, it's not going to happen anytime soon."
 
 
He snickered at his statement. 
 
 
"That's not what I came here for, Bae. I came here to talk about Dara."
 
 
Youngbae was all ears. He waited for him to speak, but kept his eyes on the open streets down below. Mr. Park then laid his left hand on to Youngbae's shoulder.
 
 
"I know this isn't easy for you," he started, "I can tell, but I'm gonna ask you something."
 
 
That's when Youngbae averted his attention to Mr. Park, but tried to avoid direct contact.
 
 
"What is it?"
 
 
His appa let out a big sigh.
 
 
"It wasn't easy for me to accept what you did, ya know. Especially, the fact that you didn't tell me about any of the things that happened between the three of you until now, but I want to know... Are you prepared to see her walk down that aisle tomorrow?"
 
 
Youngbae's eyes now met his as he placed his hands beside his hips. Slowly shaking his head left and right, he responded.
 
 
"No." He said. "I never was." He added.
 
 
Mr. Park shook his head, not in a way that he was mad or disappointed, but in a way that he felt bad for him.
 
 
"I have some advice for you, Bae."
 
 
Youngbae listened intently to every word he had to say, and patiently waited for him to speak.
 
 
"Loving someone takes a sacrifice..." He stated. "Am I right?"
 
 
"Neh."
 
 
"Are you willing to make a sacrifice for the one you love?"
 
 
With slight hesitation, Youngbae responded with a 'yes.' He knew where his appa was going to go with this.
 
 
"You want me to let her go, don't you?" Youngbae couldn't help asking.
 
 
"It's not that I want you to give up on her, but I just want you to open your eyes. Ask yourself if what you're doing is the right thing to do. It's okay to fight for your love, but there are certain limitations. She's getting married, Bae. One thing you can't do about  love is force it."
 
 
Youngbae then briefly shifted his head towards the ground, then back up.
 
 
"How could someone let go of someone they love, and let someone else take them away from you?"
 
 
"It's selfless love.." Mr. Park placed his arm on Youngbae's. "She's happy with him, and being selfless means being more concerned about the one you love, rather than yourself."
 
 
The thought of selfless love had surprised Youngbae. His appa was right, of course, but was he ready for the following event? It felt his heart pinch as he asked himself that very question.
 
 
 
All he really wanted was Dara to be happy. Though he wanted to be the one that would make Dara smile, he realized that by hurting the one she loves, he's only making things worse.
 
 
"I will never be ready to see her walk down that aisle, appa... But if it means that she'll be happy, then I'll do it."
 
 
Youngbae looked at the promise ring on the palm of his hand. Then, he wrapped his hands closed, and kissed his fist.
 
 
"Thank you, Bae..." Mr. Park started, "for understanding."
 
 

A smile formed on Bae's face. Although he was more concerned for Dara's happiness, the feeling of becoming broken hearted was inevitable.

 

 


 
What do you guys think? Short update today, but I promise the next one will be longer. Please don't forget to comment and subscribe! Thank you!

 

Credits for the lyrics go to Taeyang and the writers/composers for 'Wedding Dress.'