Best Friends From the Beginning

It Could Never Be Too Late

"Tag! Ahaha Noona, you're it!" Dong Youngbae said, running around the park, playing tag with his dear friend, Park Sandara. They had become the best of friends, and they were completely inseperable! Ever since Youngbae had saved her from the car that almost hit her, Sandara couldn't help but befriend him!

"I'm coming after you, Bae!" She replied. Even though Sandara was the daughter of a rich business man, and Youngbae was only the son of the caretaker of the Park family, she never minded it because of her affections toward her best friend.

They chased each other, both enjoying each other's company. Youngbae is seven, while Sandara was eight. They had come to the park that afternoon because there was going to be fireworks later on that evening. There was no special occasion, but they had nothing else to do anyway.

"Kids, it's almost seven o'clock, the fireworks are about to start! Come, sit." Bae's mother said as she spreads the blankets that she had brought with her on the grass. The three of them sat there, astonished by the beautiful lights.

"Omo! Isn't it pretty?" Dara asked, still gazing at the fireworks.

"You've got that right Dara!" Bae replied.

After thirty minutes or so, the fireworks had already ended. It was dark outside, and the road was completely empty. As the three were walking back home, they noticed someone in a black jacket following them. He kept his head down, and he was carrying something. He got closer and closer. 

Mrs. Dong became cautious." Kids.." She paused for a second.

"Yes, Umma?" Bae asked curiously.

"I have to do something, arasseo? Please continue walking home, and find your father Dara. Promise me that no matter what you hear, you will keep on running." She said hastily.

"What are you talking about Umma?"

"Please go now! Be safe!"

"Wait, Umma, what are you doing?" Bae grew impatient. He wanted to know why his mother was acting so strangely.

"Youngbae, this is no time for questi-" She was cut off when suddenly, the man grabbed her by the neck, choking her.

"UMMA!!!" Youngbae ran to his mother, but he stopped when she gave him a stern look. He recalled the warning that his mother gave him and Dara.

"Dara! Let's run home and get help! Quick!"

"Okay Bae! Let's go!" Dara replied quickly.

They ran back to Dara's mansion, and called for Mr. Park.

"APPA!!!!" Sandara yelled as loud as she could. " We need you, Appa!"

"What is it my daughter?! Where is Mrs. Dong??"

"She needs your help, Appa! RIGHT NOW!! Call the police!!!"

"Please, sir! Hurry, my mother is in trouble! A man is hurting her!" Youngbae said worriedly. He was really upset, and by now tears had started to form on his eyes.

"Take me to where it happened, Bae!" Mr. Park said, running to his car while calling the cops.

Youngbae led Mr. Park to the area where his mother had been attacked. No sign of the man, but Bae's mother laid there on the sidewalk, losing consciousness.

"Umma!" Bae ran to his mother's side. She had blood all over her. "Sir! My mother!"

Mr. Park ran to Youngbae and Mrs. Dong. "She was shot.... How did this happen? Why were the three of you walking around this area with no guard?"

"I-It was my fault, sir..." Mrs. Dong said, barely managing to speak.

"I told the guard to stay a-at the mansion. We w-were only going to the park, but then on our way home, a man had started f-following us. I had suspected s-something, so I told t-the kids to run back home." She was growing weak and pale.

"Where are the police?!" Youngbae exclaimed.

"They're on their way, Bae. Don't Worry." Mr. Park had worry in his eyes. It was clear that he was shaken from this.

Dara sat next to Youngbae, trying to comfort him, but he was still sobbing. After a few minutes the ambulance came.

"B-Bae..." His mother said weakly.

"Yes, Umma?" He asked, taking his mother's hand and putting it against his cheek.

"Stay strong, arasseo? I love you, my son."

"Umma this isn't goodbye!" He tried to stay optimistic, but she had lost a lot of blood, and the doctors said it was too late....

Youngbae was depressed. He didn't eat or sleep. This lasted for days, and even weeks. Nothing was the same to him. He had lost his only family, he had no siblings and his father left him when he was a baby. He had nowhere to go, so Mr. Park agreed to let him stay as one of his workers. 

One person that never left Youngbae's side after his mother's death was Dara, for she was truly his only family left on this earth. She took care of him. She fed him and tucked him in at night. She vowed to heal his broken heart, and to never leave his side. They were best friends after all.


Hey! I hope you guys liked the 1st chapter. It was just a little introduction on how Dara and Youngbae had become close friends. I hope I didn't disappoint any of you guys! I promise to update every once in awhile! Thanks for reading, and I hope you continue to support me with my story! :D