Barrier

Go Away...Wait Comeback!

 

2 days later 
 
Hyoyeon's POV 
 
     "No way. Nope. I'm not going!" I yelled so loud that Sunny had to cover her ears. "I'm not going!" There was no way I was going on a date with him.
 
     Sunny glared at me. "Hyoyeon-ah! You're going,okay? I'm not  letting you do this to yourself. You can't fully move on with your life hating Lee Hyukjae forever!" Sunny barked for what seemed like the the hundredth time since we've been in Korea. 
 
     I looked at Sunny and thought about it. She was right, I just didn't want to listen. But I ended up agreeing.
 
     "Fine, I'll go." I sighed.
 
     Sunny jumped up and squealed. Her face lit up with a gigantic smile plastered on it."Oh my gosh! This is so exciting! Finally having a double date with my best friend!" She turned to me. "So what are you going to wear?"
 
     "My pajamas." I gave her a smirk. She instantly hit me lightly in the shoulder. "Okay, okay. I'm gonna wear my sweats. After the date I'm going to try to find a dance studio nearby so I can have a place to practice my dance routines." 
 
     "Oh, really? That seems like a reasonable decision." Sunny agreed, nodding slowly. "Fine, you can wear your sweats."
 
     "Good, I was gonna wear my sweats anyways even if you said no." I stuck my tongue out at her and we both giggled. 
 
     Sunny went to her room and we both got ready. I dug my dance sneakers out of my closet.  I put on my sweat pants and my favorite loose shirt. After about an hour, the doorbell rang. 
 
     "Hyo, can you get that? I'm not ready yet!" Sunny all-but-screamed from the other room. 
 
     "Yeah sure!" I ran towards the door and unlocked the chain. I opened it and saw Lee Hyukjae standing in front. He was wearing dark colored jeans and a black jacket, I glanced at him. 
 
     Hyukjae smiled. "How do I look?" 
 
     I snapped. "Why should I care?" I walked to the couch where my hoodie was lying. I pushed my hair back and up into a ponytail and quickly slipped on my hoodie. I turned around and saw Hyukjae staring blankly and me. 
 
     "What?" I said. 
 
     "Nothing. It's just, even in a ponytail you look pretty." He smiled.
 
     I rolled my eyes. "Stop thinking flattery will get you anywhere. Where's Sungmin?" The door opened and Sungmin walked in. "Nevermind." 
 
     I heard Sunny's bedroom door open, I looked back and my eyes widened. Sunny looked gorgeous. She was wearing a mini red dress with high heels. Her make-up made her characteristics stand out, like her beautiful eye smile. Her hair was down and slightly curled. I turned to Sungmin to see what his expression was, his eyes wide and he couldn't stop smiling. 
 
     She smiled at Sungmin and made her way towards him. 
 
     Sungmin started to choke on his own words. "Su-Sunny-ssi, you lo-look r-rea-lly good."
 
     Sunny blushed. "Thank you, um.. oppa." Sunny started to smile awkwardly. I just giggled at the two.
 
     His lips formed into a smile, his face turned bright red, "Okay so, let's go." He looked at me and Hyukjae but ended his glance on Sunny. When we walked out of the apartment, I saw two cars. I could feel the confused expression spread upon my face. 
 
     Sungmin started to explain. "This is my car, and the other car is Hyukjae's. I thought it would be better to have two seperate cars." 
 
     Before I could say anything, let alone argue, Sunny and Sungmin dove into Sungmin's car and started to drive away. I turned back to look at Hyukjae who was already holding the car door and motioning for me to get in. I sighed, cursed at Sunny in my head, and eventually hopped in. Hyukjae shut the door and hopped in the driver's seat, he started the engine and drove away from the apartment.
 
    After ten minutes of awkward silence, Hyukjae started to make conversation. "So Hyoyeon, why did you suddenly decide to move to Korea?"
 
    I thought about why I was in Korea in the first place, to find my mom. Did he know something? Or was he just trying to agitate me? I glared at him. "That is none of your business." I looked down at my hands and saw my fists clenching the fabric of my sweats.
 
    Hyukjae looked confused. He looked at me and said, "Did I say something wrong? I didn't mean to. I'm sor-" 
 
     "Where are we going?" I cut his sentence off. I had noticed that we had lost the car that Sungmin and Sunny were in and now on a street off in who knows where.
 
     Hyukjae turned to me, then sighed. He slowed down the car and pulled over on the side of the road. He turned off the engine and turned his whole body so he would be facing me. "Hyo, we aren't really going to where Sunny and Sungmin are." His facial expression was serious, so I knew he wasn't joking around.
 
     My eyes were halfway to popping out of my head. "What?! We've been driving all this time with no destination? Do Sunny and Sungmin know about this?" 
 
     "No. They think that we're on our way to the restaurant. But Hyo, I isolated us from Sunny and Sungmin for a reason." He began fumbling with his fingers in a nervous fashion. What was he planning?
 
    "It's Hyo-yeon. Hyoyeon! Don't call me by my nickname when you don't have the right to. Well, what's your reason, anyway?" I said, already snarling.
 
     "I-I sorta..uh...wanted to...tell you a couple of important things," Hyukjae stuttered. He had his head tilting down as he avoided my eyes and found interest in the stick shift.
 
     "I don't want to talk about anything with you." I looked away. "Take me home." Geez, if all he wanted to do was talk then we could've done that at home or something.
 
     He ignored me. "Hyoyeon, I'm sorry." It was blantant as it could get, but I couldn't accept it for some reason.
 
      "Didn't you hear me? I said I didn't want to talk about it." I was looking outside the car window, away from Hyukjae. My mind was a bit jumbled up. It's been how many years and he says sorry. Of course, many people would've dropped the grudge awhile ago, but there was something still lingering when it came to Hyukjae that I couldn't quite place. 
 
     "Then don't talk, just listen to me." Even a deaf monkey could here the pleading tone in his voice.
 
     "I don't want to do that either." There it goes again. My ice cold harshness.
 
     "Hyoyeon, I really am sorry for all of the things I did to you." By this time, he had turned and tried to lightly to turn me around by the shoulder. Staying in place, I replied.
 
     "Stop it." There was no way I was turning around. Was it because I was stubborn? Partially. Maybe it was because I was actually afraid of looking into his eyes and having a melt down right there? For the most part.
 
     "I didn't know my words would hurt you so much." That's it. This was my breaking point.
 
     "Lee Hyuk Jae!" My petty scream was ignored by the other.
 
     "I didn't realize what I was doing to you," he continued. No more, I couldn't take it.
 
     "STOP. JUST STOP. I-I don't want to h-hear anything else from you." I could feel a wetness on my cheeks. No. This couldn't be happening. I swore it wouldn't. And yet, here I am. This was it. I was crying and loathing every second of it. The one and only time I've actually had my barrier torn down to reveal the true weak and fragile me.