Chapter 2

Exoergic

The next morning, Kris’ alarm went off at 10:35. He got up, unwillingly, and went to the bathroom. Having only spent 5 minutes brushing his teeth as he used the bathroom, Kris rushed into the kitchen and grabbed a muffin from the pantry on his way out the door. He managed a fast paced walk down the street 4 blocks and around a corner. At 11:58 he broke into a half-run/half-jog to the door of their meeting place.

He strolled into the visually small building and made his way to a set of hidden steps that led to a huge spacious room in the basement. Once he got into the room, he was flagged down by Baekhyun. Kris smirked, it was just like Baekhyun to try to get his attention even though it was only 10 people in the room.

Other than Luhan, Chanyeol, Baekhyun, & Kyuhyun, 5 other spies were here. Three of them, Yesung, Xiah, and Kangin, were Kyuhyun’s hyungs, and the other two were Key and Onew.

Yesung, Xiah, Kangin, Kyuhyun were huddled up towards a wall on the opposite side of the room and Key and Onew were chatting with Baekhyun, Luhan, and Chanyeol.

When Yesung saw Kris walk in, he called for everyone's attention and made his way to the center of the room. Subconsciously everyone moved closer and formed a circle with him. He looked around, sharing eye contact with each person before sighing.

“This meeting was called because we wanted to make sure everyone was ok. A meeting will also be called in each country we have spies located. Apparently there is a new group of spies, or anti-spies as they claimed themselves to be. They’re being given the same training as top government workers and their skills are rumored to rival ours. This new group was created to take down our spies and so far, even though they haven’t eliminated anyone, they’ve gotten close. Too close. We’re here because you all need to know that you now have your own hitman. Be extremely careful and cautious. Try to stay in one country and always keep your seniors informed of where you are. These anti-spies are damn good and will stop at nothing to wipe us off the map for good.

Xiah cleared his throat, “We know that you guys can handle yourselves but this isn’t a game anymore. We believe there are traitors in our ranks so there will be no more sharing information between anyone who isn’t your senior. You each know who your seniors are so there is no reason for you to slip up. For now, we will be dispatching each of you to menial missions just to keep them looking for a while. Be ready to get sent anywhere.”

When he finished his little speech, Xiah looked at Kangin.

Kangin spoke up, “I usually wouldn’t have to say anything but I’m telling you this now because I’ve encountered an anti-spy. He was good. He also attacked me in a public square, showing no mercy for anyone who got in his way. They’re ruthless and will stop at nothing to make sure we’re dead.” He pulled his shirt up, showing a large cut that ran horizontally from the left side of his abdomen to the right side of his back. Everyone winced; it looked like it had recently stopped bleeding.

He pulled his shirt down again, “I know you guys can handle your own very well. We believe in your skills but these anti-spies, as far as we know, are everywhere. There is no clear way of how they’re getting their information but they were able to find me the first day of my mission in Indonesia. I want you all, once you leave here, to disconnect your phones and sell them to get new ones. You know your seniors’ numbers by heart so changing phones shouldn’t be a problem. Also, if you have a car, get rid of it. Sell it, push it off a bridge, just get rid of it.”

“So far, since most of you have moved in the past year or so, they haven’t found your addresses so you’re safe but only for so long. Pack up your valuables and get them somewhere safe. From this point on, we’re operating any and all missions on a Code 9, all suspicious activity must be reported immediately. You must all take extra precautions no matter where you are. And you all know which procedures to follow in certain Code 9 situation.”

Yesung picked up where Kangin left off, “This meeting is over. You all must now return to your homes. A mission should be waiting for you by now. Pack up everything and make arrangements to disappear for a while. Remember, this is no longer just a job. You are now in a fight for your life.”

With that, everyone but Yesung, Xiah, and Kangin filed out of the room. Nobody said a word as they made their way back up the stairs and out of the building. As they went their separate ways, each spy was eyeing their surroundings and assessing every little detail. Kris made it to his apartment to find a large manila folder in the middle of the floor in his hallway.

Someone must have slid it under the door.

He scooped it up on his way to his room to pack. 

His life had just calmed down after his trip to Iraq, why couldn't he at least have a few more days to rest and recharge before having his life at stake. 

As he put clothes in a large suitcase, he thought of Yixing.

Hmm, wonder when he'll get back. Will he be disappointed when he finds me gone? Will he miss me?

Kris shook his head and chuckled. Yixing had a really good life, now that he thought about it. He inherited a lot of money and was able to travel the world and take amazing pictures. Sometimes Kris wished he was just Wufan. No spies, no weapons, no violence. As soon as that thought came, he dismissed it. He loved his life as a spy, well maybe not the killing part but everything else about being a spy was great. 

After he packed his bags, he made his way around his apartment, packing up the major things in the cardboard boxes he'd saved for times like this. The tv in the sitting room, the long mirror that ran the length of the hallway that he got from his mom, a few dishes that he treasured from his past. It took him 2 hours total to get all the important things packed away and it took another 20 minutes to arrange for his things to be picked up and sent to his family's storage space in Canada. Once the moving company came to pick up his stuff, Wufan left his apartment and headed to the phone company down the street. The last time he got a phone, he bought a cheap one, maybe this time he'll splurge a little and spoil himself. After disconnecting his phone and selling it back to them, he bought a top of the line, fresh off the assembly line phone. It was extremely hi-tech and according to the sales clerk, it was the greatest phone in the world. 

Once everything was set up for the phone, Wufan made his way back to his apartment, his thoughts again on Yixing, wondering how he was doing. Kris smiled bitterly, Yixing was probably relaxing in some luxurious hotel room, enjoying a good book. Or maybe he was out, exploring a country and taking magnificent photos. 

 

A/N: SEVEN SUBSCRIBERS?!?! Guys, I love you. Seriously, I teared up when I saw one comment and now I have seven subscribers. You're killing me. I doubt I'll have a schedule of updating because I don't know how to get to the juicy parts of the story. Don't  worry, I'll try to update at least twice a week. Any ideas on how Lay and Kris should find out about each other? Please comment and tell me what you think so far!