Chapter 42

Exoergic

 

Kris had already planned out a lie to tell his lover. Instead of admitting that he’d slept for majority of the hour flight, he would tell Lay that he spent a few hours going over the plans and backup plans. For some reason, he’d been overwhelmingly tired and a part of him was a little worried. He never slept longer than 3 hours on a plane and yet he’d been knocked out for more than half the duration of the flight. 
Luckily, Baekhyun and Lay had been working on a small gadget that checked their bodies for any toxins or poisons. The 2 geniuses bought a bunch of blood glucose meters and modified them until the devices were able to recognize all types of bacteria. 
Kris pulled the thing out of his pocket, chuckling as he remembered his lover forcing into his pocket with a glare and a “You better use this! Whenever you even think something’s off, you better use it.”
Kris waited patiently for everyone to get off the plane, eyes watching everyone since they had to pass through first-class to leave. He noted all the persons that looked suspicious. 
When the last of the people were standing in the aisle, waiting to get off, Kris finally stood up. He slowly made his way off the plane to a set of empty chairs. After cautiously looking around, he pulled out the small device and pricked himself on the finger. It took 2 minutes for the device to work and when it beeped, Kris checked the screen. 
He sighed, relieved. At least he didn’t have to worry about crazy flight attendants or revenge-seeking passengers poisoning him. 
After getting his luggage, Kris made his way through the semi-large airport to a car rental service. He quickly rented a small car and drove to a hotel. When he arrived at the hotel, he was thankful that Lay had already reserved a room for him. He collapsed on the bed after setting up a few minor traps to alert him of anyone trying to get in. Kris fell asleep within minutes of his head hitting the pillow. 
 
When Lay arrived in Seattle, the first thing he did when he was out of the crowded airport was go to the public library near his hideout. He kicked his 2 suitcases under a desk as he sat at one of the public computers. 
He glanced around from his spot in the corner, thankful there was a wall behind him so nobody could peek over his shoulder. 
Instead of selecting the guest login option like a normal visitor, Lay pressed the power button, forcing a hard shutdown. When the computer was rebooting, he typed in a few lines of computer code and was granted access to the US government information systems. 
After one more cautious look around, Lay began to look into the history logs from government bases across the country. His fingers flew across the keyboard and soon he found some interesting things. 
Apparently, there had been a small bug in one of the government systems. This wouldn’t have been a problem if the same bug hadn’t been popping up randomly all over the country exactly 1 week before the first anti-attack on one of SM’s Korean bases. 
Yixing’s eyes narrowed as he continued to look at details of the infiltrations. After a bit more typing, Lay remembered the program from that computer shop in Taiwan. He smirked as he reached into his pocket and pulled out the disk. 
He inserted the disk, tapping out a tune on the desk as he waited for it to load. Seconds later, the program began running. Lay kept his eyes on each line of code that appeared on the screen. As each line appeared, he would type out alterations to each line so the program would change and adapt to his input. 
After an hour of nonstop typing, the program was finally finished. Lay yawned as he hit ‘Enter’ and waited for the new program to be accepted by the government’s systems. It took 5 minutes but it finally went through and Lay’s work was finally done.
Yawning again, he took his suitcases back to the rental car and drove to his hideout. 
When he got there, he threw himself on the couch, not caring about anything but a few hours of sleep.
 
Joonmyun and Kyungsoo stumbled into their modest 2 story house after the long flight. After kicking off their shoes and tossing their jackets on the coatrack, they made their way to the living room to plop down on the couch to rest. Kyungsoo let himself fall half on top of Joonmyun, sighing happily as Joonmyun slung an arm around his shoulders. Joonmyun smiled softly and pressed a kiss to Kyungsoo’s head. 
“Home sweet home.”
Kyungsoo smiled, his eyes slipping closed as he let Joonmyun nuzzle the side of his face. 
They stayed silent for a few minutes before Kyungsoo made a move to stand up, “Guess we should prepare to leave again.”
Joonmyun whined as he tightened his grip around Kyungsoo’s shoulders. He buried his face into the side of Kyungsoo’s neck. 
Kyungsoo chuckled as he pried himself away from his lover’s greedy hands, “Come on, Joonmyunnie. We need to prepare for this trip.”
Joonmyun removed his arm from Kyungsoo’s shoulders, letting him stand up before hoisting himself up. 
They shuffled around their home, Kyungsoo washing all their dirty clothes and packing new clothes for the journey and Joonmyun unpacking and repacking their weapons. 
Kyungsoo had been going through Joonmyun’s pants pockets when he saw something odd.
“Honey?”
Joonmyun hummed from where he’d taken up the entire dining table with disassembled weapons and cleaning materials.
“I don’t remember anyone making this thing.”
Joonmyun frowned as he put down his cloth and stood up. He walked into the laundry room to see Kyungsoo holding up a pair of khaki pants. Joonmyun remembered wearing those the 7th day of their stay in Taiwan. He squinted, “What are you looking at?”
Kyungsoo’s eyes shot up to look at him before darting back down to something on the pants. Joonmyun walked around to stand next to him, eyes scanning the pants for anything weird. 
There, near the crease on the left leg of the pants, was a small gray object. It looked like a plastic toy that comes with a kid’s meal. 
Joonmyun reached under Kyungsoo’s outstretched arm and plucked the thing off the pants, holding it up so they both could look at it.
Kyungsoo tilted his head sideways, “What on earth?”
Joonmyun leaned forward, head hovering over Kyungsoo’s shoulder, “I don’t know but do you hear that?”
Kyungsoo hummed and they stood silently for a second, “It smells like…”
Joonmyun narrowed his eyes again, “Almost seems like a…”
Kyungsoo gasped, “Beacon. Let’s go.”
Kyungsoo dropped the pants and they both rushed out of the house, Joonmyun hopping into the driver seat of his car and Kyungsoo falling into the passenger seat.
As Joonmyun started the car and sped out of the driveway, Kyungsoo kept an eye on their rear window, “Take it to my old place.”
Joonmyun nodded, praying that they’d have enough time to make it to the isolated cabin 45 minutes away from their home.
Halfway through the drive, after the car had to a semi-deserted back road,  Kyungsoo gasped, “Suho, I don’t think we’re going to make it.”
Joonmyun pressed down harder on the gas pedal, teeth clamped tightly together, “And why would you say that, sweetheart?”
“The missile’s been activated. We have about 2 minutes before it gets here.”
“Damn. I really liked this car.”
Kyungsoo groaned, exasperated, “I’ll buy you 100 of these if you’d just hurry up!”
“How long?”
“35 seconds.”
“Thank god I took all my out of here.”
“You’re lucky we’re about to die or I’d punish you for such foul language.”
Before Suho could reply, Kyungsoo pushed the button and unlocked the doors. 
Both men threw the doors open and flung themselves out of the car. They each rolled as fast as they could to get away from the still speeding car. 
The missile flew straight into the car 30 feet away from where Kyungsoo slammed into a tree. Joonmyun grunted as he rolled off the side of the road and down into a 2 feet deep ditch. 
When he’d finally stopped rolling, Joonmyun lie still, trying to catch his breath as he stared up at the bright blue sky. After a few seconds, he popped his head up to check on his lover, “D.O?”
When he heard nothing, Suho stood up and ran back across the road in search of his partner.
“D.O? D.O where are you? Are you ok?!”
Still not hearing a response, Suho walked further down the road, half-crouching as he picked through random piles of dirt. He was just about to give up when he spotted dark red. 
He hurried over, picking up random sticks and tossing them away. 
There, leaning against a tree, was an unconscious D.O. Suho dropped to his knees and began checking his pulse. 
D.O groaned as he felt hands roaming all over his body, fingers gliding from his ankles to his head as they checked for broken bones and bumps or bruises. 
Suho had been carefully prodding at D.O's neck when he heard a soft groan. 
"If you wanted to feel me up, you could've just asked"
Suho snorted as he gently placed his hands on either side of D.O's neck and carefully began tilting and twisting his head from side to side. 
D.O hummed as he was examined, not bothering to open his eyes or move from his position. When Suho finished checking for physical injuries, he frowned at D.O’s face, “Hey. Open your eyes. Come on. Look at me.”
D.O mumbled as he forced his eyes open, trying to focus on the face in front of him. He smiled dazedly, eyes staring straight ahead unfocused. 
Suho sighed as he stood up straight, "Can you walk?"
D.O slowly looked up at his partner. Suho stopped himself from dragging a hand down his face. He reached into his pocket, "I don't think my phone's broken. I'll call Eunhyuk. Hopefully someone's still in Korea."
Eunhyuk picked up on the second ring, "Suho?"
"Yeah, it's me. Do you know if anyone is in Korea right now? D.O and I sort of had a problem so now we're stranded."
Eunhyuk hummed, "Well i think Yesung and Kyu might be there. I'll call them. Turn the tracker in your phone on."
Suho let out a deep breath, relieved, "Ok. Thank you Eunhyuk."
Eunhyuk hummed again and ended the call. 
Suho turned his tracker on then slipped his phone back in his pocket and turned to his partner, "How are you feeling?"
D.O rolled his shoulders, "A little dizzy but not too bad. Is anyone free to pick us up?"
Suho shrugged, "Eunhyuk said Yesung and Kyu might be here but he's not too sure."
D.O nodded, "Ok. I'm feeling better the more I move around."
Suho breathed a sigh of relief, "Great. Hopefully, they're in Korea and won't take too long."
Both spies waited silently, hoping there was someone to get them since it would take a while to walk back. They continuously observed their surroundings, tense for any unexpected enemy attacks. 
After 20 minutes, Suho's phone beeped. He pulled it out to read a text, "Dark gray Honda Civic."
D.O hummed as he watched said car fly past them on the deserted road. A frw seconds later a blue Prius pulled to a stop in front of them. Suho and D.O clambored into the back seat, melting bonelessly into the seats, worn out from the day's events.
 
 
A/N: sorry idk how i managed to put part of this chapter in last chapter >.< anywhoo, i miss you all and i'm so sorry for taking forever and a day to update. i'll try to write more and update today since it's laundry day. if you read HTM, i'll be writing for that too but idk if i'll update or not :/ 
 
much love muchachos <3