Chapter 13

Exoergic

 

A/N: I don't usually put anything here but this is important. I changed the age of Adhi, he's no longer a teenager/grown man, he's 7. because i felt like it haha. Enjoy!

As the car pulled up in front of the house and the two spies got out, Adhi ran out of the house and attached himself to Lay. Lay thanked his observation skills because if he didn’t have such great sight, the boy would be lying dead at his feet.

Lay looked over to Kris, who had an amused smirk on his face, then back down at Adhi, who didn’t seem to plan on letting go anytime soon. He smiled a little as he hugged the boy back, rubbing his back. As Kris watched, he envisioned Lay hugging their son. He shook his head to get rid of that thought. They had just technically “met” yesterday, how could he be thinking about their future?

Kris walked up to the front door with Lay waddling behind him, Adhi still attached to his waist. As they got to the front door, Jero walked out and slammed the door shut behind him, beaming.

“Let’s go! Let’s go! Let’s go!”

Kris admired the man’s ability to always sound happy. It was like Chanyeol’s. He nodded and led them all to the car. How Lay managed to walk normally with a little person trying to mold into his hip, Kris would never know. When they all managed to get in the car (after a few minutes of trying to pry Adhi away from Lay), Kris started the car and headed to the opera house.

The drive wasn’t unentertaining. Adhi, apparently, had never been inside such a nice car and allowed to touch things. The poor little guy was overwhelmed and asked questions about everything he saw. In between questions (which nobody bothered answering because it wasn’t like he would stop talking to listen), he would tell stories of his trips in nice cars and how the mean old lady (who Jero explained was his secretary) always yelled and scolded him for not sitting still like a rock. He seemed to be talking to Lay only because he would always lean forward and try to look at Lay’s face. Lay, for the most part, nodded and hummed at the right places in the one-sided conversation. He was amused by the ball of sunshine, Adhi was like a mini, less-hyper version of Chanyeol.

Kris was amused because beside his over-excited son, Jero was shaking his head and mouthing apologies, trying to quiet the boy down for at least a minute. Adhi ignored his father and continued to animatedly describing his recent birthday party, which Lay remembered to have been 3 weeks ago.

They finally made it to the opera house and Adhi was out of the car before the car was off, yanking on Lay’s door, trying to get him out so they could go in. Jero immediately got out, apologizing for his son, and grabbed his hand. Adhi immediately froze and looked up at his father, gulping. Jero gave him a stern look and Adhi sighed and turned to Lay and Kris, “I’m sorry. I just got excited. I’ll be good, I promise.”

Jero smiled at him, “It’s ok. Just calm down. And don’t get out of the car like that! These men are here for a reason. What if something bad happened?”

Adhi’s eyes got watery, “I-I’m so sorry!”

Jero hugged his son before the waterworks could start, “Stop it. Don’t cry. Big boys don’t cry, right?”

Adhi sniffled and nodded, “Yes! And I’m a big boy!”

Kris and Lay, who had gotten out and were scanning the surroundings, looked at the father and son. They walked forward and escorted the 2 males into the building.

Adhi, who was looking at everything with wide eyes, was thankfully silent as he held onto his dad’s hand. Lay and Kris were a step behind them, on the sides, eyes constantly moving and analyzing.

As Kris stayed with the father and son while they bought snacks, Lay walked around the large lobby area, assessing escape routes and possible hiding spots for any assassins. When he deemed the place safe enough, he walked back to the trio and was handed a box of chocolate raisins. No doubt Kris told them what he “thought” he would like. Wufan knew Yixing had a weakness for chocolate covered raisins.

Kris held a box of gummies that was most likely going to be eaten by Adhi. The four made their way up a flight of stairs to the VIP floor. Jero found their reserved room and Lay checked the room for anything that could harm or spy on the four. He walked out with a handful of wires and a little black box that was hidden under one of the seats. Nobody questioned what it could have done and they all got settled into their seats.

The 2 seats in the front were 2 steps below the 2 seats in the back so Kris and Lay took the 2 back seats. Lay reminded Adhi to never get too close to the railing because it wasn’t safe. After Adhi finally promised to stay seated, Jero gave the boy his bucket of popcorn back.

As the father and son talked, Lay got comfortable in his seat and pulled out his phone. Kris almost asked him if he was really about to play on his phone during a play, but then he saw that what Lay was doing on his phone was not a game.

Lay was working on hacking into the theater’s security cameras. On his phone. Kris’ mind was blown. He couldn’t even work the tablet that did the work for him, so to see Lay slouching in his chair, fingers flying across the screen of his phone was just wow.

Lay murmured as he quickly typed out codes and tapped buttons on the screen.

Kris leaned closer, “What?”

“Are you really about to watch me do this?”

Kris snorted and faced forward, eyes scanning the large theatre area.

The lights dimmed and Adhi looked about ready to pass out. He’d never seen the Lion King before so he was extremely happy. Kris glanced at Lay, who had set his phone on his lap with a satisfied smile on his face. He’d done it. In a matter of 2 minutes, Lay had hacked into the security system and had access to every camera on the property. Kris had to admit, watching Lay work was a turn on.

As the play started, Lay and Kris watched everything but the stage. Kris was keeping an eye out for movements and watching members of the audience while Lay kept his eyes on the ceilings and high walls.

The play was very colorful and loud and Adhi was in heaven. He clapped along and tried to sing with the characters. Jero was switching between watching the bright play and watching his son.

As the play wore on, Lay continued to scan the ceilings and look at his phone. All of a sudden, one of the screens that showed the hallway adjacent to their hallway went out.

Lay sat up straight and started tapping away at his phone again. Kris turned to look at him and watched him work. 3 seconds later, all the power went out. The audience began to murmur, wondering why the play’s lights went out when Simba only met Timon and Pumba.

Kris hissed at Lay, “You made a blackout!”

Lay hushed him, “Someone’s here. I don’t know whether they’re here for them or us but we definitely need to get out of here.”

Kris sighed and reached forward, putting his hand on Jero’s shoulder. He leaned forward and whispered in his ear, “I’m sorry sir but this power outage was caused by someone. We need to get you two out of here.”

Kris could make out the outline of Jero’s head nodding as he turned to his right and reached for his son. Jero picked Adhi up and told him to stay as silent as a mouse.

Lay cracked the door open and listened for any sounds. People from the other VIP booths were out in the hallways walking around trying to see. He opened the door wider and led Jero and Kris out of the room. Lay held Jero’s wrist while Kris held one of Adhi’s.

The group made it to the top of the stairs before shots were fired. All four ducked and Lay turned around, “Slide on your stomach like a snake Adhi, right down the stairs, and watch out for people’s feet ok? You don’t want people stepping all over your precious tale do you?”

He saw Adhi nod in the semi-darkness. “Ok, your daddy will be right behind you. Stay as close to the wall as possible.”

Kris put his hand on Jero’s shoulder, “Mr. Wacik, once you get down there, huddle up in the nearest corner and don’t move. The lights won’t come on so nobody should find you. Go.”

Adhi and Jero slid down the stairs slowly and once they made it, Jero grabbed Adhi and hauled him into the corner, wrapping himself around his son and using his jacket to cover their bright shirts.

Lay pulled his phone out and tapped a few buttons, activating the light in the hallway only. He looked up. Everyone had gone back into their booths and probably locked the doors and a man in all black with a ski mask on and a gun at his side standing on the other side of the hallway. Lay stood up and faced the man. Kris pulled his gun out and stayed hidden in the stairwell.

The man pulled the mask off his face, “Where is he?”

Lay tilted his head to the side, “Who?”

The man took a step forward, aiming his gun at Lay, “Don’t play dumb with me, boy. Where’s Jero Wacik?”

Lay furrowed his brow and spoke in broken Taiwanese, “I’m sorry… I do not… Comprehend?”

The man took a deep breath, “I’ll shoot you. Right here. Stop playing games.”

Lay still played dumb, “Game? Like games… But gun?”

The man was getting frustrated, he cocked his gun, aiming it higher. Lay laughed internally, he gun was too high now, the bullet would hit the wall behind him.

The man stood there, probably contemplating his next move.

Lay walked forward, “Gun… why gun?”

Lay walked closer to the man, and let himself be snatched up. Kris popped out of the stairwell and aimed his gun at the man’s face.

The man put the gun to Lay’s head, “Ah, yes! The bodyguard. I watched you at the candy counter with Wacik. Now where is he?”

Kris was watching them. More specifically, he was watching Lay reach a hand into his left pocket. “He’s safe. Now let the civilian go.”

The man laughed, “No! This guy here is my only way to get Wacik. Trade, the boy for Wacik.”

Kris watched the man as he alternated between pointing the gun at Lay’s head and Kris.

“Why do you want to kill Mr. Wacik?”

The man shook his head, “If this is your way of stalling, it ain’t working. I can kill you and the boy and make it out of here before the police come.”

“I just want to know why you want to kill my client.”

The man sighed, “Alright. Since you’re all going to die anyway. I want to kill him and take his son for ransom. Ok? You happy?”

Lay had pulled out a pen. “Actually, yes. We are.”

The man had the gun pointed at Kris so Lay stuck the taser-pen into his left side. The man fell to the ground spazzing as Lay pressed the pen deeper and deeper into his side. His gun had fallen out of his hand and Lay kicked it aside as he tased the man into unconsciousness.

Kris, who hadn’t planned on using his gun in the first place was, was still impressed. He needed a pen like that.

Once the man was unconscious, Lay stood up and dusted himself off. He pulled out his phone as he made his way back to Kris, turning the electricity back on. Everything started whirring to life as they made their way downstairs.  

Lay headed over to the whimpering huddle of clothes in the corner. He lightly touched a quivering shoulder, “Mr. Wacik? Adhi? It’s ok, you’re safe now.”

Kris was dealing with the police officers who had just arrived. He directed them up the stairs to where a drooling, spazzing, unconscious male was laying in the floor. He stepped off to a side to explain the situation and soon he was nodding goodbye to the officer as he made his way over to the trio.

As soon as Adhi heard Lay’s voice, he ripped the jacket from over their faces and launched himself at Lay, who readily grabbed him and pulled him into a hug. Kris helped Jero up and they all walked out of the building and to their car. Jero was now holding a sleeping Adhi and Lay and Kris were walking in front and behind him, still wary of possible threats.

They got in the car and Kris drove back to the Wacik residence. Lay helped Jero out and carried Adhi to the front door where a butler was waiting to take the sleeping child.

Jero turned to look at Kris and Lay, “That was intense. I doubt we’ll be going out for a while. Thank you both so much for your protection. I shall have the correct funds transferred to your accounts. Once again, thank you so much for saving our lives. I owe you both so much.”

Kris shook his head as Lay smiled at the man. “It’s our job, sir. We’re glad we managed to stop the guy before any severe damage was done.”

Jero nodded, “Right, right. You saved my boy’s life. I am forever in your debt. If you ever need anything, I will be happy to help you.”

Lay’s smile grew, “Thank you, sir. We’ll keep that in mind. Good bye.”

Jero said his goodbyes and headed inside the house and Kris & Lay made their way back to the car. Lay was thinking about getting more ‘pens’ and other simple-looking weapons.

Kris, on the other hand, couldn’t stop thinking about how Lay worked. He was an astounding actor. If he hadn’t know him, Kris would have thought Lay was an innocent tourist with the basic knowledge of Taiwanese. And the way he managed to pull out that pen without being noticed was amazing. Not to forget the way he effortlessly breezed through the building’s security network. Kris was just amazed. All those stories he’d heard from Luhan really weren’t exaggerations. Lay really was the world’s greatest hacker.

Kris couldn’t wait to get back to the hotel. Because they’d managed to identify  the Jero’s killer (and probably put him in a coma), they now basically had a vacation in Taiwan. That meant more free time with Lay and getting to know him.

Kris was excited for the next few weeks to come. He couldn’t wait to see what was in store for them. 

 

A/N: Ok is this chapter longer than the others? I swear the more I type the smaller the words are getting. Anywhoo, I guess my trolling in chapter 10 didn't surprise anyone OTL. i thought it would work but guess not. it's currently 2:42AM and my body is cramping in random places. I think it's weird how a lot of people get problems when they start posting stories.. Like many people have to go on hiatus or take longer periods to write because suddenly something bad happens. Oh well, ignore my ramblings. Hope you guys liked this chapter, I can't believe I have so many subscribers! I love you guys! I actually dropped some hints in here somewhere but nobody will notice it because it's a hint for the faaaaaaaaaaar away future *evil laugh* I'm gonna go crash now. 

Much love muchachos <3