Chapter 25

Exoergic

 

The next morning, the spies gathered in a tiny restaurant to talk about their mission.

“So Chanyeol, Sehun, Suho, and I will be body guards. Lay, D.O, Luhan, and Baekhyun will retrieve as much information as possible.”

Everyone nodded.

“Ok so Lay and Kris will head for the main building which will have the most security since it’s the largest storage room. It should only take Lay 5 minutes tops to retrieve all that information though so you shouldn’t stay in there for longer than 7 minutes. Baekhyun and Chanyeol will take the smallest building in the back of the property and that should only take Baek about 3 minutes. Suho and D.O will take the neighboring building and be the longest since that information requires more protection. Sehun and I will head for the building towards the front since that will have many security guards checking and we’ve never been there. That should be 8 minutes. When we’re done, the 6 of us will move to the final building and get that information before DO is done in their building.”

They were all quiet as they listened to Luhan go over the plan. Kris and Suho were sitting perfectly still, staring down at the table as they mentally chose their weapons, Chanyeol and Sehun were discussing switching guns. Baekhyun, Lay, D.O, and Luhan were all on their phones and tablets, fingers flying over the screens so quickly it looked like blurs.

Lay looked up from his phone, “Ok it seems there has been several attempts to steal information in the past week alone so they’ve tripled up their security. I’m assuming this is what that person meant when he said to kill anyone who gets in our way.”

They were all silent. An outsider would consider this a suicide mission but if they hadn’t figured out that the anti-spies were behind it, they would call it a homicide.

The organization’s bases in the United States were known for holding a wealth of information that could throw the entire world into a third world war if accessed by the wrong person. That’s why those facilities were heavily guarded at all times. Their security guards were top trained assassins and fighters, hand-picked by Lee Soo Man himself. Nobody has ever gotten past the first line of defense to even get inside of the buildings.

Well, that was because the agency’s top 10 best spies had never had to get into those facilities. D.O had the pleasure of upgrading the systems of one facility in Ohio but he’d never actually gotten to tour the building.

This time, they had been ordered to kill anyone who stopped them. But that would mean destroying the property since the entire base would be out for them.

It made sense to send their best killers in to get rid of everyone. But why were Lay and his team going? Something just wasn’t right.

If Soo-Man wanted the information, he still had legal rights over the company so it wouldn’t make sense to send in 8 men and kill hundreds of people when he could walk right on in and get it. He also wasn’t big on murder so it didn’t make sense for him to order them to kill everyone.

If Youngmin wanted the information, he’d have a few obstacles to get through but he could still get the information. Even though he was a large supporter of killings, it still wouldn’t make sense for him to want everyone dead since that would be a waste of millions of dollars spent to train all those people.

But if this really was a totally different organization out for them, then it would make a little sense to blame the top spies and claim they’ve gone rogue. If everyone died, including the 8 spies, then that would end suspicion about this anti-spy organization and they could just shut down the base and start over somewhere else.

There were too many suspicions and doubts and possibilities for the 8 guys to try to figure anything out so they decided to just follow the instructions and pick out clues along the way.

Sehun sighed in frustration and dropped his head onto the table with a loud thunk!

Luhan laid a hand on his back and rubbed it up and down, they all knew how he felt. It was so frustrating not being able to understand what was going on. There were so many questions that needed to be answered but they couldn’t be answered immediately and that just added more tension and stress to the situation.

They were all so worried and irritated that none of them realized that they’d never placed any orders for food.

 

A few feet away from the table, stood a teenager holding a round drink tray, nervously watching the group of intimidating men. It’s not that the boy was scared, he was just extremely anxious and didn’t want to interrupt their serious talk (because there was no way there could all look so mean and not be having a serious talk.)

He gulped a few times and took a few deep breaths and walked over as quietly as possible to the group of silent men.

They all watched him as he stood in front of the table and began shaking minutely.

“H-h-h-hello, wh-wh-what w-would you drink to like?”

He could have died right there. Not only did the men seem dangerous, they were hot. And he’d just managed to up his one line. He wanted to fall into a never-ending well.

His little slip managed to ease the tension a little and 4 guys smiled at him. The atmosphere began to warm up a little, or maybe that was him blushing like a schoolgirl.

Magically, it felt more relaxed and none of the men looked mean anymore. The boy cleared his throat, “Wh-what would you like to drink?”
A dark brown-haired man sitting next to a really tall blonde smiled brightly at him, “I’d like a sprite please! And the evil man next to me would like an iced tea with a plate of lemons.”

The blonde beside him smirked and playfully nudged his arm, nodding at the boy to confirm it.

The other really tall man of the group was whispering something into a smaller dirty-blond haired man’s ear. The smaller blond was giggling, “We’ll have 2 Cokes, please.”

The man with large dark brown eyes beamed at him and the man next to him had the brightest smile on his face too. The boy flushed as they continued to smile at him as he wrote down the 2 orders for Coke.

The large-eyed man answered him, “I’ll have a sprite too! And he wants a root beer.”

The smiling man beside him seemed to grin wider and nod.

The last 2 men were sitting quietly, the dark brown haired one was looking at the table with a serious face but the man next to him just laid a hand on his arm as he grinned at the waiter, “We’ll have a Coke and a Sprite, please.”

The boy nodded as he quickly wrote that down, “I-I’ll be right back with your drinks.”

If the men noticed him trip over his own feet to quickly get the drinks, they didn’t acknowledge it.

When the boy returned with the drinks, the atmosphere seemed way lighter and happier. He smiled at the group as he passed out their drinks with confidence.

He quickly took their orders and walked to the kitchen.

 

Luhan and Lay were quietly chuckling.

“He’s so cute! Nervous and shaking.”

Lay nodded as he continued laughing, “I think Kris scared him.”

Kris looked offended, “Hey we were all scowling! Don’t blame this on me!”

Chanyeol threw his head back in mock laughter, “HA! You know you have the scariest mean face out of all of us, face.”

Kris’ jaw dropped and he playfully threw a punch across the table at Chanyeol. Everyone was too busy laughing at his nick name to stop him. Eventually the laughter died down and Chanyeol looked at Kris, “I’m sorry man. If it really offends you I won’t say it again.”

Kris continued to stare at him. Finally he smirked, “It’s ok, I’ll just call you Happy Virus.”

Chanyeol didn’t seem bothered but he pretended to get upset, “You are a cruel man!”

Everyone laughed again and they started talking about nicknames and couple names.

10 minutes later the waiter returned with their food and they all began eating.

Lay was happy he was with the guys. He’d never really went out with them often, because he was usually busy. He was glad Kris was Wufan because that meant Wufan wasn’t as lonely as Lay thought.

They all finished eating and left the restaurant, leaving a nice-sized tip for the adorable waiter.

On the way back to the hotel, Lay’s phone rang. He pulled it out of his pocket and squinted at the number. He tapped Kris’ shoulder, “Let me see your phone.”

Kris eyed him as he handed over his phone. Baekhyun, D.O, and Luhan had also pulled out electronics; Baekhyun was on his phone, D.O was on a tablet, and Luhan was slipping earphones in his ears, holding what looked like an mp3 player in his hand.

By the third ring of Lay’s phone, he had managed to pull up something that would give Kris a headache if he tried to figure out what it was. Lay quickly answered his phone, making eye contact with the other 4 techno-spies.

“Hello?”

“Lay?! Lay! It’s Leeteuk! I’m sorry but I’m in the middle of something and I could only use this payphone. Look you and your team will be going to Oregon a few days early. All the information should be at 8967 Cuihua Street. Please have all of your team members arrive at the location in 4 days at 10PM to receive your information.”

Luhan, Baekhyun, and D.O’s eyes widened but Lay’s narrowed as Leeteuk continued talking.

“Everyone’s fine but we’re having a few difficulties with these anti-spies. I’d just been stationed here in Mexico and they’ve already found me. I’m being chased now but I found a safe spot to call you and tell you where to find your tickets and stuff. I- “

There was a crash and loud noises before Leetuek cursed, “I’m sorry Lay, I gotta go! Remember that address because that’s the only way to get the info!”

There was a click that signified the end of the call and Lay began typing furiously on both his and Kris’ phone. A few seconds later he triumphantly held up both phones, grinning.

“They’re here. On the other side of town, actually. It’s 15 of them moving around a deserted building. Not the same place as the address he just gave me.”

Baekhyun nodded, “They have a small but wide variety of weapons. A few hand guns, a couple small bombs, and a flame thrower.”

“They got in a few hours ago on a plane from Canada. More are coming tonight and tomorrow.” Luhan said.

“There has been several more attempts on bases all across the US today. Some higher ups believe them to all be connected, maybe even synchronized. They all happened within 15 minutes of each other and seemed to be triggered by the arrival of the 15 men’s flight here.”

Kris didn’t think he even wanted to know how they found out that information.

Since the group had stopped in the middle of the sidewalk so Lay could answer his call, they began walking back to the hotel.

They had all decided to go back to the hotel to get a few things before going back and spending the afternoon doing something fun.

Lay and Luhan were acting as if the call didn’t happen and soon the group was back to playing and joking around on the way back to the hotel.

Lay had given Kris his phone back and they walked a few steps behind the group, quietly whispering sweet nothings to each other talking.

They were half a block when Kris froze and spoke loud enough to stop the entire group.

“Wait, you said Leeteuk called you?!”

A/N: *rolls around on the floor, whining* guuuuuuuuuuuuyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyys, i caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnntt. all these ideas and just i- URGH. I swear I can't write 2 sentences before another story idea punches me in the face and stays with me like a virus. If I wasn't so invested in this storyline, I would have quickly ended it by now and started writing but I just caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaant. *weeps*

Yeah, sorry this is so short. It's really just here to throw out ideas of who could be behind all this madness *shrugs* 

Oh yeah, I tried to explain some stuff, but it'll probably only open up more questions which is good for me because I want you guys to know but I don't want you to know you know? ergh! This story might end a little earlier than 60 chapters though because I don't feel like writing about their boring waiting days. I'll do 1 more chapter in taiwan and then after that, the action begins! 

At first, the "author-nim" title was great but I want to get closer to you guys so, HI *waves* I'M KAI! Feel free to talk to me about whatever because I want to be friends with all of you!