Today's a Gift

Worlds Apart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Taeyeon was leaning on one arm of the couch while Sunny sat on the other end, blindly flipping through channels. They were in a large, spacious room filled with games and electronics. There was everything from a dart board to a pool table. A plasma screen TV hung at one corner of the room in front of the red nylon couch where the two girls sat. There were also several desks with computers set on top, as well as game machines one would normally find in arcades lined along the walls of the room.

Taeyeon stole a glance at Sunny, admiring the shorty’s beautiful brown locks. Sunny had her gaze fixed on the television screen, her eyebrows furrowed and a slight pout on her lips.

Sunny-ah’s still as beautiful as ever. She thought to herself.

“Taeng, you never told me,” Sunny said as she continued to flip through channels. “How did your date with Tiffany go?”

“It went well,” she replied, quickly averting her gaze. Taeyeon’s face was flushed, her heart racing. What am I doing? She thought to herself. I thought I was over this phase already. Taeyeon mentally slapped herself. Get a grip, Taeyeon!

“Really?” she asked. “That’s great, Taeng. She’s a nice girl.”

“Yeah,” Taeyeon agreed absently gazing at the shorty once again.

Sunny then glanced at Taeyeon, surprised to see her friend staring at her. “Yah!” she shouted, throwing a pillow at Taeyeon’s face in an attempt to snap her out of her daze. “What the hell is wrong with you? You’re creeping me out.”

Taeyeon snapped out of her thoughts and scratched the back of her head, flustered. “I’m sorry. I was just thinking about stuff.”

Sunny cocked an eyebrow. “While staring at me? That’s a likely coincidence,” she teased.

Taeyeon blushed as Sunny scooted closer to her. “Yah! It’s not what you think!”

Sunny smirked and sat on Taeyeon’s lap, wrapping her arms around the latter’s neck. “Oh come on, baby. Don’t deny it. I know you want me.”

Taeyeon’s face flushed a deeper red. She hasn’t seen Sunny’s face this up close in a long time. Sunny’s strawberry scent made Taeyeon absentmindedly her lips.

Sunny snapped her fingers in front of Taeyeon’s face with a slight pout. “Honestly, you’ve been a space cadet recently. At this rate, I wouldn't be surprised if you met one of those little green Martians." Sunny smiled. "Did Taengoo finally find someone shorter than her?" she asked in her aegyo voice.

Taeyeon glared at her friend and playfully hit her arm with a pillow. “Yah! First of all, stop that incessant noise! You know I hate your aegyo! Secondly, that joke was lame. And for your information, I am taller than you, Lee Soonkyu!”

“Yah! Stop using that name!”

“Make me,” Taeyeon challenged.

Sunny smirked. “Gladly,” she said. Sunny cupped Taeyeon’s face and puckered her lips.

“Yah!” Taeyeon shouted, face palming Sunny. “Get away from me, you freak!”

“Aww! It’s okay, Taengoo,” Sunny said, pushing Taeyeon’s hand away from her face. “You don’t have to resist anymore,” she said, moving her eyebrows up and down suggestively.

Sunny leaned in closer to Taeyeon’s face, causing the latter to blush furiously. Taeyeon tried to cover up her nervousness through laughter, which made the shorter girl pout.

“What are you laughing at?” Sunny asked.

“Sorry,” Taeyeon said, composing herself. “You just looked really funny with your lips puckered like that.” Taeyeon smiled. “Funny looking, that is,” she added.

Sunny frowned. “Jerk! That wasn’t funny at all!” she shouted, slapping Taeyeon on the arm which earned more laughter from the other girl.

Several minutes passed and the two girls sat in their initial positions on the couch; Sunny on one end and Taeyeon on the other.

“Taeng,” Sunnny began. “Sooyoung-ssi invited you to a party, right?”

“Yeah, why?” Taeyeon replied, uninterested.

“We should go!” Sunny said with a bright smile.

Taeyeon’s expression darkened. “But you know I don’t do parties.”

Parties were never really her thing. They just reminded her of her past life and the night when her life took a turn for the worst. Who knew one bad decision could turn her whole life upside down? The saying, “You never truly appreciate what you have until you’ve lost it” was true. Taeyeon had it all, but she took everything for granted. She lived life thinking “There’s always tomorrow”. What she never considered was, “What if there was no tomorrow? What if today was your last day? Have you lived your life to the fullest or are there still things you’ve yet to do?” She never realized the real meaning behind life in the present. Today is a gift that we should never take for granted because tomorrow may never come.

Sunny furrowed her brows. “Taeng, is your father still blaming you for what happened?”

Taeyeon looked away, tears welling up in her eyes. “But he's right. It was my fault. I was irresponsible.”

“Taeng, when will you start listening to me? It was an accident.”

“But it could’ve been prevented if I had made smarter decisions!” Taeyeon shouted, tears streaming down her face.

Sunny placed a hand on Taeyeon's shoulder. “Tae, you need to learn how to forgive yourself and stop living in the past. You’re only hurting yourself more.” Taeyeon didn’t reply. Sunny cupped Taeyeon’s face and looked into her eyes. “Tae, come to this party with me. It will be good for you.”

“No,” Taeyeon replied. “I can’t, Sunny-ah. It still hurts.”

“Tae, please! I hate seeing you like this.” There was a short pause. “You can’t keep torturing yourself. You’ve paid more than enough for your mistakes. It’s time to move on.” She smiled at Taeyeon. “We only get one shot at life, Taeng. So, live like there’s no tomorrow.” Sunny pulled her into an embrace.

Taeyeon nuzzled her head deeper into the crook of Sunny's neck and closed her eyes, tears escaping them. Sunny was right. The past is the past, but this was the present. She needed to start living for herself. What’s done is done and brooding over it won’t change anything. One day, she will learn to forgive herself. She just needed to take it one step at a time. “All right,” Taeyeon replied, a small smile on her face.

Sunny smiled. “Good girl,” she said, ruffling Taeyeon’s hair. “Who knows? Maybe Tiffany will be there,” she said, winking.

Taeyeon could feel her cheeks flush, knowing exactly what her friend was hinting at. “Yah!” she shouted. “What does that ha

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter