Forgotten Love

Worlds Apart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Jess, don’t leave me alone with that girl,” Tiffany stated.

Jessica stared at her in surprise then at Taeyeon. She then approached Tiffany, sitting down on her bed. “Why would you say that, Tiff? Don’t you remember Taeyeon?”

Tiffany shook her head. “No. I don’t know anyone by that name.”

Jessica furrowed her eyebrows. “Tiff, Taeyeon is your girlfriend. You two are madly in love with each other.”

“But how am I dating someone I don’t even know?” she asked. "Besides, I don't even want to date anyone yet. Love is for weak people."

Jessica was startled. She wasn't surprised by what Tiffany said, but because she said that same line to her again. But the last time Tiffany talked like that was two years ago. That was their freshman year of high school, and before Tiffany ever met Taeyeon. It was before Tiffany ever learned how to truly love someone. There was a period of silence as Jessica studied Tiffany. She then stared into her eyes and asked. “Tiff, how old are you?”

“Sixteen,” Tiffany replied bluntly. “What kind of a question is that, Jessica?”

Jessica’s eyes widened then she immediately shook it off and smiled. “Right, of course,” she said. “Don’t mind me, Tiff. Anyway, I still think you should get some rest.” She pulled the comforter over Tiffany’s body. She then gave her a soft peck on the forehead. “Good night, Tiff. If you need me, you know where to find me.”

Tiffany nodded. “Good night, Jess.”

Jessica turned off the light and led Taeyeon out of the room. She then walked towards the living room and sat down on the couch, pondering her thoughts. Why was Tiffany acting like this? She can’t be pretending because she wouldn’t hurt Taeyeon by saying she doesn’t remember her. What the hell is going on? It’s like Tiffany completely forgot two years of her life and is her sixteen year old self again.

“Jessica,” Taeyeon began. “Why is Fany acting like that?”

Jessica looked at Taeyeon and sighed. “Your guess is as good as mine, Taeng. I don’t know what happened to her. All I know is, she’s acting exactly like she did when she first came to my apartment.”

“What do you mean?”

“I think Tiff went through a lot of heavy stuff two years ago. I just know she came to my apartment in tears and was completely hysterical.”

“What was she so worked up about?”

“I don’t know. She never really told me why. I think something happened between her parents back in America, but then when I asked her about it, she said she couldn’t remember.”

“Was she just lying to you?”

Jessica shook her head. “I don’t think so.”

“How can you be so sure?”

“Well, it was almost as if she was completely different people from when she first arrived to when she got used to being in Seoul again.” There was a short pause. “When Tiffany first came here, she only talked to me. I was the only person she could trust and whenever she tried to recall a memory, she would get so frustrated not knowing what it was that made her act that way. Then as the months passed, I think her memories were triggered by something.”

“What do you think caused it to come back?”

Jessica shook her head. “I don’t know. But I was planning on going to see Tiffany’s doctor. I want to know what she told Tiffany about her condition two years ago.”

“Sica, she’s a doctor. I doubt she’ll share Tiffany’s file with you.”

Jessica smiled. “Actually, I’ve known her for a long time so I’m sure she’ll make an exception.”

“Okay,” she said. “When are you planning on going?”

“Right now,” replied Jessica.

“But wouldn’t the hospital be closed now?”

“It is, but I know where she lives. I was just going to drop by. Besides, it’s not that late and I know she’s always awake at this time.”

“Okay, if you say so. I just don’t want to intrude.”

“Oh, trust me. She will be more than happy to see me.”

Several minutes passed and the two girls prepared for their errand. Once they were ready, Jessica led Taeyeon towards the garage where her car was located. Jessica was about to enter the car when she saw Taeyeon frozen at the door of the garage.

“Taeng, we have to go. Why are you still standing over there?”

“I—,” There was a short pause. “I can’t, Sica.”

Jessica furrowed her eyebrows and walked towards Taeyeon. She then placed a gentle hand on the latter’s shoulder. “What’s wrong, Taeng?”

“I—I’m scared of cars,” she said. “I can’t go inside them without remembering my sister.” Tears began to well up in Taeyeon’s eyes. “I can’t go inside cars without thinking about that accident.” Tears streamed down her face. “I ruined her life, Sica! It was entirely my fault.”

Jessica pulled Taeyeon into an embrace. “Shhh,” she said. “Don’t cry, Taeyeon. You don’t have to force yourself to go. I can do it without you. You can just stay here and watch over Tiffany.”

Taeyeon pulled away and shook her head. “No! I want to go!”

Jessica was surprised to see the look of intensity in Taeyeon’s eyes. She was impressed. This girl is unstoppable when it comes to Tiffany. She’s willing to overcome her fears for the sake of the person she loves. Jessica smiled. She really was starting to like Taeyeon and the regrets she had about not confessing to Tiffany sooner were slowly diminishing.

“Taeng, do you really want to come?” she asked.

Taeyeon nodded. “I want to know what’s happening to Tiffany, Sica,” she said in between sobs.

Jessica smiled. “All right,” she replied. “I promise I will drive slowly, all right?”

“Thank you,” Taeyeon replied.

Several minutes passed and the two girls were nearing their destination. Jessica glanced over to the passenger’s seat and smiled at Taeyeon’s attempt to be brave even though her whole body was trembling in fear. Jessica placed a hand on Taeyeon’s and smiled.

“Don’t worry, all right? I’ve always been a safe driver and I’m not going to allow myself to get into an accident now.”

Taeyeon smiled slightly. “T—thank you,” she replied.

Jessica smiled. “I guess I owe you an apology, don’t I?”

“Why?” asked Taeyeon.

“I was wrong about you,” she replied. “You really do care about Tiffany. I’m sorry for accusing you of taking your brother’s side over Tiffany’s earlier. I was just angry. That was an awful thing that someone did to my friend, and I wasn’t just about to let anyone who could have been a suspect to slip through my hands.”

“I understand,” Taeyeon replied. “Even I’m struggling with trying to wrap my head around this whole situation. I just can’t see my brother doing anything like that. He was always good to me and to everyone.”

“I know,” Jessica replied. “I’m not asking you to hate your brother, Taeng. All I want is for you to keep yourself open-minded because in the end, you’ll be the one who gets hurt if you don’t try to accept that your brother is a suspect.”

Taeyeon sighed. “I know,” she said. “I’ll try. Don’t worry.”

Jessica smiled. “Good,” she said, as she lightly pressed on the brakes. The car came into a slow halt in front of a large, white house. “We’re here.”

Taeyeon looked out of the window to admire the house. “Wow! It’s even bigger than mine! I guess doctors really do live a good life.”

Jessica was surprised to hear Taeyeon’s statement. “Oh?” sh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter