The Past

Worlds Apart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Many different emotions flooded through Taeyeon as she sat in her bedroom, her best friend, Sunny, laying on the edge of the bed. Taeyeon smiled at her short friend who was deeply immersed in her DS game, a slight pout on her lips.

Taeyeon leaned against the headboard, hugging her knees and resting her head on her kneecaps, attempting to sort out her jumbled thoughts. For some reason, Taeyeon was constantly thinking about Tiffany. She just can’t seem to get that eye-smiling girl out of her thoughts.

It was odd. Taeyeon had known Tiffany since freshman year, but she’d never really cared much about the girl. As far as Taeyeon was concerned, she was just another person who existed in a whole different world from her own. She saw no point or reason to befriend this girl, so why was she so interested now? What changed?

She racked her brain for an explanation of her newfound curiosity. Then it hit her. Was it because of that day? Taeyeon tensed, feeling that familiar pang in her heart as she recalled the dreadful day.

 

It was a cold, winter afternoon. There was a slight chill in the air as snow fell lightly from the sky, blanketing everything in snow. The students of SM Academy flooded the parking lot, dressed in their winter coats, scarves snug around their necks, and heading towards the main gate.

Taeyeon sat on a bench facing a pond, hugging her knees to keep warm. She was staring blankly at the frozen pond, tears welling up in her eyes. She had recently found out that Sunny and her older brother, Jiwoong, were dating. If Sunny was just a regular friend to Taeyeon, she wouldn’t have minded, but that wasn’t the case.

Sunny was her best friend and the very first person she had ever opened up her world to. Sunny knew everything there was to know about Taeyeon and accepted everything about her, including her flaws. Taeyeon had a hard time trusting people because her entire life, her peers have shunned her. They judged her because of her rich stature and never gave her a chance. Sunny was one of the few who reached out to her during those lonely days. In time, they came to know everything there was to know about one another and it didn’t take long for them to understand each other enough to the point where words weren’t needed.

Taeyeon thought those happy days would never end. She thought Sunny would always be there for her. God, was she wrong.

Once they entered high school, she and Sunny slowly started to drift apart. Taeyeon didn’t think much of it at first, thinking that they were just getting adjusted to their new lives and schedules. But as the days turned to months, she found herself spending less and less time with Sunny. Taeyeon was confused. She racked her brain, trying to think of a reason why Sunny would just abandon her like that.

Then one day, Taeyeon found her answer. She saw Sunny and Jiwoong sitting at a café together, holding hands and flirting with one another. She was surprised. Sad. Hurt. Taeyeon felt betrayed. She and Sunny shared everything with each other, but her best friend failed to mention a significant part of her life. Her heart hurt. It felt as if someone had taken a dagger and stabbed her heart repeatedly.

After that revelation, Taeyeon spent days in her room alone, crying herself to sleep at night. She couldn’t understand why she was so affected by it. Sunny was just a friend to her, right? Then it dawned on her. The realization hit her like a ton of bricks. She was in love. Taeyeon was in love with her best friend, but it was too late. There was nothing she could do because Sunny was already taken.

Taeyeon buried her face in her knees as tears began to stream down her face. It’s so unfair! She thought to herself. Why did it have to be her? She felt a warm hand on her shoulder and looked up to see a girl with the most beautiful smile she had ever seen.

“Taeyeon-ssi,” the girl said softly. “Why are you out here all by yourself? It’s cold.”

Taeyeon merely stared at the girl trying to think of her name. Tiffany. She thought to herself. Tiffany Hwang.

Tiffany frowned slightly, realizing that Taeyeon had been crying. “Hey, don’t cry. Whatever or whoever you’re crying about isn’t worth your tears.” She smiled and extended a hand out in front of Taeyeon. “Come with me.”

Taeyeon absentmindedly took the latter’s hand and rose to her feet, following the girl’s lead. “Y—yah, where are we going?” she asked, as soon as she came back to her senses.

Tiffany glanced over her shoulder and shot her a smile. “A party.”

 

Taeyeon smiled slightly at the memory. That night was a happy yet regretful memory, but it was easily the most unforgettable. She then looked at Sunny with a faraway look on her face. That night flipped my whole world upside down, but one good thing did come out of it. Taeyeon smiled slightly. It brought you back to me.

Taeyeon crawled over to her friend and wrapped the shorter girl in a tight embrace. God, Sunny-ah. Don’t ever put me through that kind of hell again.

“Yah!” Sunny shouted in disapproval. “You made me lose my game!”

Taeyeon pulled away and chuckled slightly. “I’m sorry, Sunny-ah.”

Sunny studied her. “What’s gotten into you, Taeng? You’re acting weird.”

Taeyeon smiled nervously. “Yah, what do you think of Tiffany-ssi?” she asked in an attempt to change the topic.

Sunny then turned her attention back to her handheld game and shrugged. “I think she’s a nice girl. What’s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter