Realization

Worlds Apart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Sunny, wait for me,” Taeyeon called out, desperately trying to catch up to the other girl. Sunny, on the other hand, did not hear her and continued to walk. “Sunny!”

The shorter girl stopped in her tracks and turned to look at Taeyeon. “Did you say something?”

Taeyeon stared at her in surprise. “Are you kidding? Did you not hear me calling out to you? I kept telling you to wait, but you just kept walking.”

Sunny smiled apologetically. “I’m sorry, Taeng. I was thinking about something.”

Taeyeon sighed. “That’s fine, I guess. Just don’t make it a habit, okay?”

Sunny smiled. The two girls continued to walk home in silence. They then passed a park and Taeyeon stopped to admire the place. Sunny then stopped walking once she realized Taeyeon had stopped then retraced her steps to see what the latter was staring at.

“What’s the matter, Taeng?” she asked.

“Oh,” she said, smiling. “I was just thinking about the good old days.”

Sunny snickered. “Wow, you sound like an ahjumma.”

Taeyeon frowned and hit Sunny’s head. “Yah! Don’t call me old! And if I may remind you, I’m not that much older than you. So, if you call me old then you’d be insulting yourself too.”

“I know, I know,” Sunny replied. “It was a joke, Taeng. Lighten up.” Taeyeon hit her head again. “Yah! Stop hitting me!”

“Why? You were making fun of me,” she replied bluntly.

“No I wasn’t!” Sunny argued. “I was poking fun, that’s all.”

Taeyeon smiled. “I know.”

Sunny frowned. “Well, if you know then why do you keep hitting me?”

“It’s revenge,” she replied. “You know, for all of those times you abused me and let you get away with it.”

Sunny sighed. “I really do miss those days. Now, you’ve just turned evil. Taeng, do me a favor and tone down the normality a notch.”

Taeyeon chuckled. “I thought this is what you wanted.”

“It was,” she replied. “But I didn’t know you would be violent.”

“Pabo,” said Taeyeon. The two girls laughed then walked into the park. They stopped in front of a sandbox where two little girls were playfully bickering with one another.

“It really makes you miss the past, doesn’t it?” Sunny asked.

Taeyeon smiled. “It sure does. We had a lot of memories in this place, didn’t we?”

“Yeah,” she replied. There was a period of silence and Sunny stared at Taeyeon. “You’ve changed, Taeng.”

Taeyeon looked at her. “Really? What makes you say that?”

“Well, you’ve certainly matured and you do seem a lot happier. In the past, you only used to smile and express yourself in front of me, but lately you’ve become a social butterfly. You’re no longer that awkward and anti-social girl that I’d grown to love.”

Taeyeon laughed. “Now, who sounds like an ahjumma?”

Sunny blushed and smacked her arm lightly. “I’m serious. I like this change in you.”

Taeyeon smiled. “I know you do, Sunny-ah. But the reason I’m like this now is because of Fany.” Sunny stared intently at her. “Fany showed me how to live and what it means to be alive. She taught me how to appreciate life more and stop pitying myself. She made me realize that even though there are people in this world who will judge me, there are also people like you and her, who will genuinely love me for who I am and accept me along with my flaws.” She looked at Sunny. “She doesn’t know any of that though, because I learned it from her indirectly.”

Sunny forced a smile. “I see. You really learned a lot from her, didn’t you?”

“Yes, I did. I forgot what it was like to have these many friends around me, but because of her, I was able to meet new people. It is definitely something I missed because as much fun as you are, Sunny-ah, having only one friend can get lonely.” Sunny looked away as Taeyeon looked up at the sky. “Sunny, do you think it’s weird that whenever I look up at the sky, I think of Fany?”

Sunny stared at her in surprise. “Why?” she asked.

Taeyeon smiled and continued to admire the clouds along with the clear blue sky. “It’s because she’s bright like the morning sky. Even though she’s going through so much pain, she can still find it in her heart to smile. I don’t understand how she—how anyone—can smile the way she does. A smile that’s so sweet, so genuine, pure, sincere, and…” Taeyeon chuckled slightly. “Well, beautiful.”

Sunny furrowed her eyebrows and looked away. “Taeng, how do you feel a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter