The Bet

Worlds Apart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Tiffany was in her homeroom class. Her group of friends had formed a circle with their desks, idly chatting about clothes and boys. She found herself zoning in and out of the conversation. The topic of boys never really sparked her interest. Sure, she’s had some boyfriends in her lifetime, but none that were really serious. She has never crossed that fine line between like and love. To her, love was a foreign concept that only led to pain in the end. As a result, she made sure she never stepped into that forbidden territory.

She was looking out the window when she realized that the conversation around her had ceased. She turned her head and found three pairs of eyes boring into her.

“What?” she asked her friends.

“You’ve been doing that a lot lately, Unnie,” Yoona said.

“Doing what, Yoong?” Tiffany asked the cute, dark haired girl.

“Spacing out,” Yoona replied simply.

“I do no—,”

“Don’t deny it, Fany-ah,” interrupted Sooyoung. “You’ve been spacing out more than the Ice Princess, over here.” She said, gesturing to the blond girl beside her.

“Yah!” Jessica shouted. “Do you want to die?” She asked, shaking a fist at the tall girl.

“No! I'm sorry, Sica!” Sooyoung immediately apologized, not wanting to feel the wrath of HellSica. “I was just kidding.”

“That’s what I thought,” she said before turning her attention to Tiffany. “But they’re right, you know. Your mind has been up in the clouds lately. Is there a reason for that?”

“No,” Tiffany replied. “I’m just not interested in the topic you guys were discussing.”

“So I’ve noticed,” Jessica replied coolly. “Remind me. When was the last time you went out on a date?”

“I don’t know, freshman year?” Tiffany asked.

“Unnie, you haven’t gone on a date in two years?” asked Yoona bewildered.

“I’m not interested.”

“How could you not be interested?” the young girl asked.

Tiffany shrugged. “I’m just not boy crazy. I mean, why should I be?”

“But, you never know! Your future husband might be in this school! You could be overlooking him because you won’t give him a chance.”

“Yoong, I don’t believe in stuff like that,” she replied. “I look at it this way. If it was meant to be it’ll happen, but if not then I won’t push it. I mean, why waste my time and energy?”

“You’re starting to sound like Sica more and more every day, Fany-ah,” said Sooyoung amused.

“Yah! You’re starting to get on my nerves, Shikshin!” Jessica shouted.

“Yah~! Leave my eating habits out of this! I need food to grow. I don’t want to be a danshin like you!”

“Do you have a death wish?” Jessica hissed.

“Unnies, please stop bickering,” said Yoona.

“Yeah, you guys. Listen to the maknae and behave,” Tiffany added.

Just then Tiffany noticed a short girl approaching their circle. Tiffany found herself staring curiously at this shorty until she was standing in front of her. “Excuse me,” the girl said, bowing respectfully to all of them. She then turned her attention to Tiffany. “Tiffany-ssi, when do you want to get started on our project?”

“Project?” Tiffany echoed. She scrunched her eyebrows.

“Our English assignment?” the girl suggested.

“Oh!” Tiffany said as she realized what the girl was referring to. “Are you doing anything after school, Taeyeon-ssi?”

She shook her head. “No. Would you like to work on it then?”

“Yes,” Tiffany replied. “Meet in the library at three?”

“That sounds good to me. Thank you!” She gave them all another ninety degree bow and returned to her seat beside her fellow danshin, Sunny.

 “She’s really cute,” Sooyoung said once the girl was out of ear shot.

“Yah! Not only are you a Shikshin, but you’re a byuntae too? Those are really bad combinations, Soo,” Jessica teased.

Sooyoung blushed. “Yah! It’s not like I have a crush on her. I just think she’s cute that’s all. Is it wrong to admire someone else’s features?”

Jessica shrugged. “I guess not.” She then looked at the short girl who was now sitting and talking to her friend. “But you do have a point. The shorty is easy on the eyes.”

“Guys, stop checking her out!” Tiffany said. “You sound like a bunch of ahjussis.”

“Why, Fany-ah? You afraid we’ll steal her from you?” Sooyoung teased.

“Don’t be silly! I’m not interested in her.”

“It’s funny how you just deny not liking her, but don’t deny liking girls,” Jessica replied, eyeing her friend.

“Pabo! I don’t roll that way, all right?”

“Whatever you say, Fany-ah,” Jessica replied.

“Yah! I don’t!”

“I believe you. Now, you just have to convince yourself of that.”

Tiffany pouted. “Why are you so mean, Sica?”

She shrugged. “It’s a gift.”

“Hey

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter