Plain Black

If You Dont Mean It

 

Two days till RockCandy’s debut and according to your manager, it was the right time for a schedule free day. You thought it was just plain wrong, but you also appreciated being able to simply lie on the couch of the RockCandy dorm and catch up on some T.V.

 

Cherry, Ollette and Ria had taken advantage of the free day and had gone out for some shopping and eating in the market and shopping malls; simple things that they had missed doing. You didn’t feel like going… You know, just in case a wildYonghwa appeared.

 

With the T.V. remote in hand, you flicked through the available channels with many of them being music channels and stopped on one playing an interview with a few of the members of SNSD. The MC was one of those loud mouthed, outrageous men with awful haircuts; you shuddered at the thought of possibly having to meet one of them one day.

 

‘So, with many rookie girl groups debuting, do you girls consider yourselves as the ‘Sunbaes’ now? He asked, as Tiffany, Jessica and Seohyun listened attentively,

 

The girls began to smile and giggle lightly, as they did, before giving a reply.

 

‘We’ve been doing this for a while now but I feel like we’re still going to grow as a group and as performers’ Tiffany replied.

 

‘Smart answer’ You said out loud. No one else was in the dorm, so no one could judge you, right?

 

Yes yes yes’ The MC said impatiently, ‘Does this mean that you will all be on the same levelled playing field? Will these bands be your competitors?’

 

You now sat upright on the couch, legs crossed, attention focused on the T.V.; you were sure curious.

 

Seohyun, you recognized as Yonghwa’s ‘ex-wife’, you had always thought she was sweet, from what you saw on We Got Married; but wondered why it didn’t last from after the show. She had spoken up to answer the MC’s question.

 

Being performers doesn’t mean that we’re competing against each other. What would we be competing for? We’re all doing the thing we love doing most; we should always remember that’

 

You let out a deep breath as you were amazed by her simplewords; she spoke so gracefully making you also feel pity for her, having to deal with such a person as Yonghwa.

 

YonghwaYonghwaYonghwa. Why did everything you thought of have to always link back to him?

 

The MC began to ask other questions sent in from viewers. Some were just plain horrible, while others could be answered by simply searching the internet, but one struck you the most.

 

‘Sweetie91 asks…’ He started to read the question to the girls,‘How well do you think RockCandy will do?’

 

Omo!’ You said aloud once again, ‘That’s us!’

 

A few seconds later, realising that no one was replying to your random calls, you stopped hyperventilating and payed even more attention to how they’d answer. The MC then gave some background information about RockCandy, even mentioning your debut date.

 

‘I’ve heard good things about them’ Jessica mentioned, nodding her head, ‘We’ll definitely be watching them’

 

‘So they’re doing a sort of rock-pop thing?’ Tiffany said,‘That’s exciting. I’m looking forward to it’

 

Your respect for SNSD had reached a whole new level.  At band meetings, your managers and even the President warned you of possible competition between other girl groups, but at that moment, you didn’t really believe that at all.

 

‘Ah, Seohyun’ The MC added, ‘They’ve been labelled as the girl version of CNBlue, What can you say about that? After all you have your links with CNBLue leader, Yonghwa?’

 

Though your mind refused to listen, your heart thought otherwise as you immediately raised the volume of the T.V.,Seohyun’s voice almost echoing through the dorm.

 

CNBlue is considered more like an indie band, not as popular as the other male groups but they still have loving fans. I think that RockCandy may be like CNBlue in that way’

 

And with a final click, you instantaneously switched of the television. You had erased what you thought about them before. You weren’t quite sure how to feel about your female ‘Sunbaes’. Well, since they didn’t consider themselves one, you didn’t think of them that way either.

 

Ya!~’ You said, speaking to the switched off T.V. as if their faces were still there, ‘The game starts now’

 

After spending another hour lying on the dorm couch, staring blankly at the ceiling, you decided to wash up and head out to the local café, ‘The Cocoa Bean’, to treat yourself since you were in such a crappy mood.

 

Dragging your feet through its maple brown, front doors, you were greeted with the ringing of a little bell that hung above the door post. It was quite dim inside, the lingering smell of freshly roasted coffee beans enticed you, as you grabbed a seat on one of the bar stools by the counter.

 

‘One iced mocha please’ You ordered glumly. You were put in a bad mood after watching the interview, at first you thought you weren’t fazed, but apparently not, ‘Extra chocolate too’

 

‘Excuse me-’ a voice interrupted the employee from continuing the order; ‘Can you just make that a plain black?’

 

The employee nodded to the authoritative voice, before moving off to prepare your drink.

 

‘Hey! Who do you think you-’ you turned around to scold this person who had changed your order, who in their right mind would do that to a stranger?

 

 

‘_____’ Yonghwa plainly addressed you, ‘you’re not supposed to take any sweets, especially chocolate before any major concert. Do you want to stuff up your throat?’

 

You scoffed and rolled your eyes before diverting your glance from him as he sat himself down on the stool next to yours.

 

‘And why do you care?’ You questioned him, dawdling with the spoon in your hand that you were about to use to dig into your drink before he had changed your order.

 

‘I’m not looking out for you’ He snarled, ‘I’m looking out for the company. If you stuff this up, you stuff up it for every one’

 

Tsk. Of course Yonghwa would only be thinking about himself. Its Yonghwa for goodness sake.

 

‘Like how you stuffed it up with Seohyun?’

 

One point to you and zero for Yonghwa. Well done.

 

Dingling’ went the bell on the counter as the employee handed you your plain black coffee. The steam from the beverage heating your already flustered face.

 

Yonghwa didn’t even take a single glance at you but continued to speak.

 

Ya! What do you mean I stuffed it up?’ This time he turned to look deeply into your eyes, that look you’ve seen before on the dramas he was in.

 

‘Oh, I don’t know’ You said innocently, whilst stirring the sugar into your coffee, ‘By the looks of it, you were the reason why it didn’t work out’

 

Coughing on air, Yonghwa hammered his fist onto the counter,

 

‘You know that was just a set up for a T.V show, right? Like how you and Minhyuk are set up for the company’

 

You took a sip of your black coffee. It wasn’t half as bad as you thought, but you were really craving the whipped cream and cocoa that would have come on top of your iced mocha.

 

‘Yeah well…’ You replied, ‘You fell in love with her, didn’t you?’

 

After what seemed like too long for a second, Yonghwa faked smile that instantly turned into a dull expression,

 

‘You really thought I was in love with her?’

 

Why’d Yonghwa always turn the question back on you? It began to annoy you, so you decided to be a pest to him just as well.

 

Yooong~’ You imitated Seohyun’s pet name for him, ‘We all know you did. But she wasn’t feeling the same and decided to dump you. Ya, don’t you read the news online?’

 

Aish’ Yonghwa murmured beneath his breath, ‘You really are something aren’t you?’

 

Uwah!’ You jolted suddenly as you leant closer to take a better look at his expression as he tried to avoid your gaze, ‘That’s a smile on your face!’

 

Yonghwa instantly placed his hand over his mouth, before hopping off the bar stool beside you, bowing then heading out the front door of the café.

 

‘That boy’ You said to yourself, ‘I am going to get him’